The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 14, 2024 at 4:40 AM Post #78,346 of 88,259
IMG_3459.jpeg
Cool cat man! Here’s my tortoise named turtle 🐢 .. pretty alright.. loves strawberries and whatnot
Shielded! We knew it!

Strongly disagree but to explain why would be to get into a political argument, and aren't there a billion other places for that? :)
I think it's very interesting that as a community we do our best to avoid political statements. Probably because we know we could hurt a friend or two deep inside. Still it's weird as it's around us all the time. Happy to continue without it for sure because our hobby won't get better than it is already.

drftr

Jan 14, 2024 at 4:53 AM Post #78,347 of 88,259
I think it's very interesting that as a community we do our best to avoid political statements.
I hope our thread starter can try a little harder. I'd love for this environment to stay free from any politics.

Jan 14, 2024 at 5:02 AM Post #78,348 of 88,259
I have officially given up in trying to follow this thread. It is moving at what seems like record pace. And, interestingly, FOMO is hitting quite hard, because I like quite a bit of what gets posted on here ...

A strange sensation. Kind of like your favourite series releasing too many episodes at once and you having to call it a day/night before battling through all of them.

Jan 14, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #78,350 of 88,259
Some brief "thoughts" over the VE X so far now that I've gotten quite a lot of listening hours with them since I received the demo... testing done from HiBy R8 II. Full disclosure, this is how I hear/enjoy the IEM and is not meant to be a review of some sorts. :)

Love love.. absolutely love.

I have a bias towards VE IEMs that I expect them to almost always be warm-tilted and musical without sacrificing too much in details and resolution. It's how I was introduced to the brand and how I fell in love with "their sound", very similar to how I expect EE IEMs bass to always rattle my brain (where's LX MK2?) and I personally think the VE X absolutely nails this sound.

Given these do lean warmer VE have tuned them to have a great balance across the FR. The bass response is mid bassy and full with strong impact but it never comes off as bloated or boomy, the decay is very well controlled and stops it from spilling over into the mid range. The sub bass also has good depth and detail but isn't quite elevated or separated enough to give you that large airy bottom end, it's more about staying tight and giving a well articulated rumble. The mid range is lush and very organic in its timbre. Instruments have a lovely weight and density to them that just feels so natural to my ears. Listening to drums, bass guitars.. ugh, 👨🏽‍🍳😘. Electric guitars to sound a tad less bite-y than I prefer but overall still very well within the bounds of what I'd consider normal and fitting for the IEM tonality. For some added context I tend to find "flat" lower mids on the lean side, so the slight low mid lift here just fits more with my personal tastes of how I want my mids to typically sound. I understand you're trading some transparency here but it's what I tend to enjoy. Both male and female also carry this ever so slightly deeper tone to them. The treble for me is the icing on the cake. The way I hear it relative to the rest of the tuning is borderline perfection. It's not too relaxed or too emphasized anywhere. I find it very well balanced from low to upper treble while giving all the details and extension you could want but presenting it in a totally inoffensive yet dynamic and lively way.

Before I heard these I was under the impression from friends that I may not find these technical enough for their price point and I'm happy to say I don't find this to be an issue at all. The main "weakness" of their techs would be that the soundstage isn't overly large, but if you've heard VE IEMs before you know they tend to keep their stages more focused and in head which I am completely fine with so long as it doesn't sound congested or too narrow. The soundstage here is definitely on the more "in head" side but it compensates it by having wonderful imaging, and it is still large enough to not ruin the playback of electronic music which I feel benefits from bigger soundstages. Both macro and micro dynamics are well above average also, but this IEM sounds more dynamic though sheer body and note fullness as opposed to having super clean/clear transients. Each note has such a sense of power behind it that really breathes life into the playback.

The build of the IEM feels very premium with its anodized aluminum. It's also VERY light and comfortable in the ears. The cable also feels very nice and fairly supple, I love the hardware and how it matches the IEMs design aesthetics.

My main gripe from the VE X is that just like other VE sets I have tried (with the exception of Elysium and EXT) they are quite sensitive which means they're susceptible to hiss if your source amplification isn't clean enough. However, I do appreciate how easy they are to drive. These don't need any special juicy sources to sound their best so long as the tonality/synergy of what you're using is to your liking.

I do plan to buy these as a universal when inventory is available, I believe sometime in February for MusicTeck. Whether or not I'll get them as a CIEM will be something I'll decide when that choice is available. The fit is great so I'm not feeling pressured to, but if VE has any special designs for the VE X I probably will as I've always wanted a VE CIEM. As far as I know CIEM is still in the works from a development standpoint.

For me these are such an incredible set and I recognize these might not be the "best" at anything in particular, but I find the VE X to be a set that really tugs on my emotional strings and gets my neurons firing, and that is worth more to me than anything that I can score out of 10. The feet tapping, lip syncing, and head bobbing is something that even the most technically impressive sets have failed to do for me.

TL;DR - My favorite VE IEM to date and what I feel is the most complete offering they have so far relative to my tastes.

There is SO much more I could have said about these but.. I feel this is enough. If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer as best as I can while I still have them on me.

Squiggly wigglies for the measurebaters:

Oh what are you doing man - totally irresponsible to my wallet 😂

While I would happily own both VE X and incoming Aura I feel that Aura would better suit my needs as I’m the guy who loves more sub bass than mid bass along with above mentioned clarity. And those treble and bass extensions on Aura literally seemed to be endless.

Also when comparing Ronin to Traillii I found out that I got a tad bored of a bit dark IEMs - while being the part of the tuning that contributes to the holography of the overall presentation not putting any parts of frequency response to the background is the trait of Ronin IMO making it so captivating and sounding lifelike.
And this is something where Aura should be closer to Ronin I believe.

Jan 14, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #78,351 of 88,259
The first scratch is always the worse 🤗 It’s character and patina!
Sadly the next owner probably won't think so. 🙄
I hope our thread starter can try a little harder. I'd love for this environment to stay free from any politics.
100% agree. This place is a safe space to get away from the utter nonsensical madness of the world. As soon as it's no longer that, I'm out.

Jan 14, 2024 at 6:54 AM Post #78,353 of 88,259
I love cilantro. In general I agree about classical...but it can work sometimes. I have this Trevor Pinnock recording of Bach's Brandenberg Concerto's and I love it with the Trifecta-- the movement of air it can simulate makes it feel like you're there. Watching an orchestra perform live can be quite a visceral experience and I think a good DD setup can bring a lot to the table in this regard. On the other hand in really busy orhestral pieces where you need a lot of articulation, deliacy and nuance up top...then yeah Trifecta just doesn't work.
After your first very positive to euphoric listening impressions with the Trifecta, which were followed by many more positive reports from Watercooler friends who support your opinion, I am now tempted to try the Trifecta. Especially because of the good experiences you have had with classical music (Bach: Brandenburgsche Konzerte).
As far as I remember correctly, it was at the Highend in Munich 2022 when I heard Trifecta together with @doctorjuggles for the first time, unfortunately only for a very short time.

As things stand, I can't listen to the Trifecta or other exciting IEMs at CanJam NYC, because I have to undergo follow-up investigations including MRI at this point of time and therefore have to postpone my first visit to a CanJam and my first meeting with you friends to a later date.
How much I regret that.

Jan 14, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #78,355 of 88,259
After your first very positive to euphoric listening impressions with the Trifecta, which were followed by many more positive reports from Watercooler friends who support your opinion, I am now tempted to try the Trifecta. Especially because of the good experiences you have had with classical music (Bach: Brandenburgsche Konzerte).
As far as I remember correctly, it was at the Highend in Munich 2022 when I heard Trifecta together with @doctorjuggles for the first time, unfortunately only for a very short time.

As things stand, I can't listen to the Trifecta or other exciting IEMs at CanJam NYC, because I have to undergo follow-up investigations including MRI at this point of time and therefore have to postpone my first visit to a CanJam and my first meeting with you friends to a later date.
How much I regret that.
Unless we decide to pull off a Euro meet around mid March? Or wouldn't that help?

drftr

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:05 AM Post #78,356 of 88,259

How much I regret that.
There will be another opportunity. 🙂

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #78,358 of 88,259

How much I regret that.
If you get a chance to listen, my set is still available--had another buyer back out. My heartfelt advice, one person to another: if you have the funds, and are going through a medical thing, buy my set, even if you decide to sell it later (and zero judgment or hard feelings about that last bit). Stuff like this has kept me going through rough medical episodes. Rn6 basically kept me sane last year while laying in hospital beds, my nobles before that. End of the day I'm losing money anyway, but I don't regret starting my year off trying a new thing, or learning more about myself as a listener.

As for Trifecta, it's really growing on me the more I listen to it. To be clear, what it does, it does really well and really right (and again another case where it adds a layer to my music I had not thought possible--somehow Eilish changes with every different TOTL set I play her on). Im not desperate to get rid of it or whatever, and a lot of what it does sounds really cool. I just think based on the genres it jives with, someone else is going to appreciate it more than me--raven may yet be a demo in my future. More than happy to sort out international shipping for you on my end at my own cost if that helps.

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #78,359 of 88,259

How much I regret that.
Bloom audio is also like an hour's drive from me. Bunch of us could just as easily meet up, do a lengthy demoing session, and potentially pickup some cool stuff there. Just floating ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back