The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 12, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #78,078 of 91,358
Are there other top brands with the same benefit? This would be huge for me.

drftr
That was what I was wondering. If you could replace the batteries you could keep it for a long time.

Such a beautiful piece Todd!

Its very dynamic in contrast and tone. It really draws the viewer in to see what more lies within. What a way to bring in the new year!! ❤️‍🔥
Interesting piece.

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #78,080 of 91,358
Packages I don’t need, or didn’t ask for: 9 AM delivery

Packages I want right now, please hurry: as late as possible, the driver took a nap, the box fell between the seats

IEM delivery day is fun.

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #78,081 of 91,358

Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah is now known as Chief Adjuah and pretty much his whole library is available on bandcamp! :) A unique trumpet sound mixed into a modern jazz approach, or a more classic one on the older albums, very high quality releases culminate in a fantastic catalogue that spans his whole career. Fantastic sound quality.

I saw him live a while ago. Highly recommended.

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #78,084 of 91,358
I really think swappable should be the default connection for cable makers.

If this was not a niche area of audio a regulator would get involved, see when the EU mandated all smartphones sold in the EU to have usb c, which likely motivated Apple to hasten the removal of Lightning from the iPhone (Apple already brought usb c to Macs and iPad)

We need one type to rule them all and that is IPX T2 :yum: I am not confident that consumer power will make one type prevail like how eventually 4.4mm became the most common portable balanced plug. Too many companies doing their own thing and being cynical I can see every cable manufacturer bringing out their own swappable connector (this is not disrespecting ConX and Versa if we lived in an ideal world there would be no need for them to exist). Even if a company uses a 'common' type, they go and be Sony or Sennheiser adding a recessed connector housing so you cannot use normal MMCX cables (this is with good intentions granted). I use this link only to show in picture form too many types exist:

https://www.null-audio.com/collecti...-occ-cryo-platinum-hybrid-headphone-iem-cable

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #78,086 of 91,358
Replaceable / non-replaceable?

drftr

Separate battery for analog and digital parts of the ckt, a cleaner partitioning, including separate charging (usb-c for digital and 12V for analog). And, yes, DX320Max Ti batteries could be removed/replaced.

ibasso-dx320max-ti-38.jpg
ibasso-dx320max-ti-39.jpg
ibasso-dx320max-ti-40.jpg

Jan 12, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #78,087 of 91,358
Just got the Noble Spartacus in... and what a surprise enjoyable set this has been!

I first heard these at Potafes last summer. They sounded well-balanced and seemed suited for all-rounder but I couldn't pick out any "character" to push myself to buy it. I think I wasn't hearing the BCD's on the floor. It probably got drowned by the surrounding noise. I had a similar lackluster impression with Loki too which I would like to give it a chance at some point.

Now listening to Spartacus at home, I can enjoy this fatigue-free for hours! And it sounds all correct to me! Spartacus has a very nice weighty extended bass. Not the highest resolution but tuned just right to work well with music across my library (jazz, classical, new-age, rock/metal, fusion, jpop,... no hip-hop/dance) with a natural timbre of upright bass/guitar/piano. Mids are more forward than I remember. This makes vocals, solo acoustic/electric guitars, keys/synths to shine. Most notable is that the treble is (relatively) suppressed in such a way that the metallic zing and splash are there but they don't trigger any treble sensitivities. I do usually like my treble (I love Ragnar) but Spartacus does it in a way that doesn't destroy the timbre of acoustic guitars (which has an element of guitar body woodyness and steel string zings). I haven't encountered many IEMs that strike this balance for me.

I don't know how to put this into words to be honest... Spartacus just sounds correct and it is very engaging sound at the same time. Maybe honeymoon period... Let's see how it stands the test of time. Noble has really gotten me with Ragnar and Spartacus :sweat_smile:

Completely concur with your assessment.

EDIT: I’ve had Spartacus for a few months and it still impresses me. Hoping your experience is the same. :)

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #78,088 of 91,358
If this was not a niche area of audio a regulator would get involved, see when the EU mandated all smartphones sold in the EU to have usb c, which likely motivated Apple to hasten the removal of Lightning from the iPhone (Apple already brought usb c to Macs and iPad)

We need one type to rule them all and that is IPX T2 :yum: I am not confident that consumer power will make one type prevail like how eventually 4.4mm became the most common portable balanced plug. Too many companies doing their own thing and being cynical I can see every cable manufacturer bringing out their own swappable connector (this is not disrespecting ConX and Versa if we lived in an ideal world there would be no need for them to exist). Even if a company uses a 'common' type, they go and be Sony or Sennheiser adding a recessed connector housing so you cannot use normal MMCX cables (this is with good intentions granted). I use this link only to show in picture form too many types exist:

https://www.null-audio.com/collecti...-occ-cryo-platinum-hybrid-headphone-iem-cable
We can appoint one of the coolers as the personal audio Tsar to regular the industry.

Jan 12, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #78,089 of 91,358
Do what needs to be done and as soon as the meeting ends and you can make it to a safe space put the Raven back in.
I already didn't have time to do it during the live session because I had chats coming that took most of the slot. Then from volume, I wasn't able to take the time to go offline.

Managed to finish the recording, but still need to organize and summarize it

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #78,090 of 91,358
Right, so...this happened.

IMG_3956.jpeg

IMG_3961.jpeg

(The mirror finish actually is not that gold looking, and under different lighting conditions/angles can result in different colours. I like it more than the satin finish which adamantly stays very gold at any angle.)

Raven impressions are quite well covered so I'll not repeat what everyone has said.

This is the Orpheus Lite....which is quite a misleading name because this is supposed to be a co-flagship with the Orpheus. I guess you could interpret the "Lite" as in size/weight. Anyway, this uses the same copper material as the Orphy but with a different geometry/build structure, and is even more shielded than the OrphyS (the parts above the Y-split is also shielded. Peter said in one of his videos that this is the highest level shielding out of any of his cables). It is noticeably more ergonomic and is thinner, leading to much better portability.

Packaging is only that metal case akin to the Orphy, so without the bad quality leather briefcase. I really don't mind since I don't use the case/box anyway so it saves a lot of space.

The silver polishing cloth that comes with it is supposed to be for the 4.4 connector, which is uncoated/coated with rose gold or sth, and the coating may fall off over time if you twist the connector a lot, according to Peter (but doesn't affect sound quality).

Sound wise it is somewhere in between FTS and OrphyS - still a warmish cable but is less analog than OrphyS because the sound is faster, especially in the bass regions. Bass slams harder on the Lite with better subbass extension but a bit less midbass quantity and the decay is faster. Mids are similar, extremely resolving, a touch less thick. Biggest difference is treble, which is noticeably better extended on the Lite with more air, whereas Orphy is a bit pulled back. As a result it is a touch more resolving than the OrphyS with better layering/spearation between instruments.

Soundstage stretches even wider (by a bit) on the Lite, but depth is not as prominent, so the OrphyS is still a bit more "holographic) due to more noticeable depth perception.

Both are pitch black - maybe the Lite is even blacker, if that is even a thing.

Overall I think the Lite's signature is a less warm, faster and a more modern sounding OrphyS - IMO it is not as classic analog sounding as the OrphyS so it is less "special" so to speak, but I think it is a much better all-rounder. I actually find the OrphyS not very versatile because it makes everything sound the same - warm, wet, analogue, even slow....which sometimes might not be a good thing. The Lite will be able to show the characteristics of the IEM much better as it is a bit more "natural". For example, I find OrphyS a poor match for the Raven due to its laid-back treble and slower sound, which takes away the Raven's inherent advantages. It is also not a good match for the XE6 since it is already very smooth sounding. Both IEMs match well with the Lite on the other hand because of the more "modern" sound, and especially on the treble side.

TLDR - just get both OrphyS and Lite as I think they are rather complementary. However the Lite might be the more versatile pick at this day and age because it doesn't kill the treble and is a tad less "Orphy coloured".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back