The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 9, 2024 at 7:31 AM Post #77,551 of 88,626
Agree people listen to different styles of music and listen to music differently. But I do not evaluate IEM or headphones by "suits X genre of music".

I listen to female vocals and this talk of upper mids is interesting with the discussion returning to the virtues of Odin. At Canjam and the WM1Z original I found the Odin upper mids too forward. Or perhaps I mean to write the upper mids peak was too much. Maybe need longer listening for a fairer conclusion.

If someone internet searches the Odin for a purchasing option there are online reviews spanning the whole range of "even mids", to "mild V shape" to "too much V shape". I will not link to a rival forum but the Odin "even mids" comment was by someone with a Sony DAP, different model but should have the Sony house sound...

I consider the Raven is an improved, superior IEM to the Odin though (if only custom was available to non artists)

Jan 9, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #77,553 of 88,626
Hi, thank you all for insights of each DAP. If there is only one DAP ( WM1ZM2?) and done unit which would YOU recommend. I want to pair it with RN6 and maybe Trifecta later. Thank YOU !!!
That would be Cayin N30LE for me. Taking only sound into consideration. If portability is also a factor along with the sound, Sony WM1Z with K-mod (hardware) and Mr.Walkman firmware mod.

Sony WM1AM2 with Eletech Iliad cable and Nostalgia Audio Camelot iem is very portable and less expensive combo that delivers in spades for me. I will have to swap out WM1AM2 and try the Hiby RS2 with this combo and if it equals or bests the WM1AM2 + Iliad + Camelot combo, then it would be the ultra portable & the least expensive.

Jan 9, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #77,554 of 88,626
I'm about to pair it with my OrphyS too and I have N30 AP with me, so the only thing missing from me is the DMP 🥲
Somebody please sell me a DMP but with a reasonable price 😂
Been seeing some used DMP from Japan appearing on the ebay site ($4000-$4500 price range), if I recall correctly.

Jan 9, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #77,555 of 88,626
Hi, thank you all for insights of each DAP. If there is only one DAP ( WM1ZM2?) and done unit which would YOU recommend. I want to pair it with RN6 and maybe Trifecta later. Thank YOU !!!
That would be Cayin N30LE for me. Taking only sound into consideration. If portability is also a factor along with the sound, Sony WM1Z with K-mod (hardware) and Mr.Walkman firmware mod.

Sony WM1AM2 with Eletech Iliad cable and Nostalgia Audio Camelot iem is very portable and less expensive combo that delivers in spades for me. I will have to swap out WM1AM2 and try the Hiby RS2 with this combo and if it equals or bests the WM1AM2 + Iliad + Camelot combo, then it would be the ultra portable & the least expensive.
This is basically my setup. I use a cable with similar construction to iliad. Am2 can be bought new for 1100 now, even less on classifieds. For that price it's hard to go wrong. Probably my sole complaint about it is boot time, plus android cutting into the battery life. I wish there was a dual boot option like the ibassos offered, but the sound is good, and the weight difference was what originally swayed me over the zm2. Otherwise rn6 and trifecta make a nice combo if you're trying to hit the spectrum of digital vs analog sound.

Jan 9, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #77,557 of 88,626
Really enjoyed having resources like this spreadsheet to look at as a subjective way to see how folks who have heard lots of higher end IEM feel. My first real high end IEM have been the Volur and Z1R, though am trading the Z1R for the Final Audio A8000 as I prefer the Volur over the Z1R and want something a little less bass focused with better technicalities in the mid-treble ranges, faster overall, since I can't afford to just buy another 2k set outright at all. I absolutely love the Volur, just need to get the Coreir tips to stay on. I'll be stopping at home depot to look for tiny o-rings sooner than later. Have had the U4S and MEXT and Penta and the Monarch MkIII and some others. But nothing else near or over 2k than the Volur and Z1R.

I'm really curious as to what you would think of the Trifecta in the midst of all these IEMs. Any chance you will try them soon?

I spoke to Audio46 today, they have a set of the Trifecta to audition there, so I will bring my Volur there and see for myself soon, as I am close by, but would love to hear more thoughts from folks who have heard a lot more IEMs.
A8000 is underrated around these parts! I’d take it over a lot of single DD’s. Reminds me, I forgot to score Dita Perpetua and have notes for it. They are pretty.

IMG_3624.jpeg

Trifecta is an odd one, I personally am not a huge fan, but commend it for being a complete change of pace in an otherwise very rinse-and-repeat market. I don’t particularly like its tonality nor do I find it very technical like most TOTL, but it has a holographic presentation and a very raw character to its presentation (tuning and texturally). That would be its X-factor. Treble is energetic, peaky but can be exciting for some I suppose. I will also add it to the sheet.

I do find the price steep for it, I think it’s “worth” $1500 in sound quality if being generous, but it’s outperformed by some sub-1K products. Price does not mean anything as you can see based on how I score, it’s a very arbitrary metric, especially seeing how hundreds of products are using the same engines internally. Trifecta does not have off-the-shelf drivers, which I also respect.

I will also be adding other IEM’s I forgot to list. Perpetua, Odyssey, Trifecta, Stellar Horizon, Maestro SE, Earsonics S-EM9, Velvet V2, EE Hero, PSB M4U 4, SE315, SE425, UE Triple.Fi 10, UE900 & GR07.

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 9, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #77,558 of 88,626
Hi guys, if any of you are after an ultraportable open Android 13 player with all-day battery life for out-and-about walking, hiking, gym and travel use, HiBy Digital's M300 is well worth a try. For $199 it's cheaper than most of us pay for IEM cases nowadays, and rivals sub-$500 DAPs and most smartphones in both quality and utility.

M300_12.jpg

My review is online here if you're interested.​

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #77,561 of 88,626
Dear watercooler,
what happens when i confuse/flip phono stage MM vs MC settings?
Depends what kind of cartridge you have. If it's MC, then you just won't hear much on the MM setting. If your cart is MM tho, nothing will happen, just don't try to play a record or it will be VERY loud and could damage your speakers and/or ears. Just return to the correct setting - the cart will be fine.

Jan 9, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #77,562 of 88,626
Jan 9, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #77,563 of 88,626
Depends what kind of cartridge you have. If it's MC, then you just won't hear much on the MM setting. If your cart is MM tho, nothing will happen, just don't try to play a record or it will be VERY loud and could damage your speakers and/or ears. Just return to the correct setting - the cart will be fine.
great info, thanks much!

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #77,564 of 88,626
Dear watercooler,
what happens when i confuse/flip phono stage MM vs MC settings?
MM (Moving Magnet) cartridge is more efficient and has a higher output. (typically 5.5mV)
MC (Moving Coil) cartridge has lower output. (typically 0.5mV)

The result depends on which cartridge you are using:
- MM installed: flip the phono stage to MC, and you will overload and distort the signal. If actually playing a record, with the amp set at high volume, because you can't hear anything, the sudden volume blast could damage the speaker.
- MC installed: flip the phono stage to MM, and you will barely hear any signal. It is unlikely that it was already set to MM previously, as the vinyl playback would not have been functioning properly. So for a working system, the selector must have been set to MC already.

Or this is the initial setup, and you are not following any instructions, and do not know the difference between MM and MC, and you are testing, randomly switching the phono selector back and forth to find a working configuration, everything is fine as long as done with the amp at low volume.

Though if this is the case, the advice would be to RTFM first!

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #77,565 of 88,626
IMG_0564.jpeg

Managed to demo the FiR IEMS plus the Bellos X4!

Definitely preferred XE6 to RN6. Though when comparing the two to EXT, mids sounded quite recessed to me for XE6 while RN6 lacked the midbass I like.

Electron 12 kind of reminds me of the Z1R? Lower mids aren’t as hollow as Z1R but has the same signature.

Bellos X4 was really smooth, contrasting the brighter treble in the FiR models.

Conclusion: VE X still grips my heart.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back