The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 20, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #74,266 of 91,366
To tag onto deezel's answer, even between Storm, Traillii and Ragnar the staging is very different. Storm's staging was being recommended with the caveat of an expensive upgrade cable, Storm out of the box has a rather narrow stage but goes quite deep. Traillii is very wide, so much that vocals distinctly sound like it's coming from 2 channels. Ragnar is very holographic but can reach the point of almost sounding hollow depending on the chain you are using. So I think they all achieve what you're looking for but in very different ways.

I like your differentiation how the staging differs between STORM, Trailli And Ragnar.
And when I compare my own listening experience with the three candidates with yours , I really have to agree with your assessment.

Dec 20, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #74,267 of 91,366
Looks like Storm, Trailli, and Ragnar were the most common answers. How would you all compare AP for details and staging?
By AP you mean UM Amber Pearl? Or Audemars Piguet? 😂
I only have Trailli with me and never tried STORM and Ragnar. Compared to Trailli, AP has a narrower soundstage but it doesn't mean it's cramped. It's just right and more intimate plus it sounds more natural too compared to Trailli, plus the BCD sensation that you can feel. I think AP is like Aroma Jewel but with better bass and texture while retaining the effortlesness of Jewel 😉
Singapore is high on my list of countries to visit again - I was there for about 5 weeks when I was 12, bought my first Walkman in Lucky Plaza on Orchard Road! It was a mind blowing trip as it was my first time leaving Ireland, and even Dublin at the time was relatively backwards in many ways - seeing a building higher than 10 stories for example, and I remember being fascinated seeing police in booth type units in the city. My older brother (who passed away over 20 years ago) and I took it upon ourselves one night to sneak out and take a wander - we stumbled across what I recall as being a sort of outdoor bar/food place with a lot of elderly locals who were intrigued by two young kids wandering around… oh and we were caught going back into the apartment later on and grounded for a few days. Anyway, definitely going back some day - it would be amazing to see again after 35 years, such special memories of that trip.
You have my sympathy bro 🥲
Back then when I was young, I often get in fight with my little brother, but now I miss him sometimes. We don't talk that much but I know deep down inside I care about him and I'm sure he feels the same 🙂
You just can't hate your own kin 😉
I brought my girlfriend there, she the best translator! Y’all should include your wives in your hobbies.
Thanks, but no thanks 😂🤣

Dec 20, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #74,268 of 91,366
IMG_1252.JPEG

Just grabbed SP3000 again :grin:

Listening to it after six months reignites my initial love for it. The genuinely black background, slightly warm tonality, abundant reverb, and nuanced details create a rich sound and expansive soundstage. Pairing it with IEMs like u12t is fantastic; they have exceptional detail and layering without needing tons of power.

But there are challenges. Its lack of power can feel limiting with high-demand IEMs like Z1R or Annihilator. Don't get me wrong, they still sound good with SP3000, but once you hear them on more powerful sources, it's hard to fully enjoy them on SP3000 again, which is why I sold it the first time.

This time, I've got help from Alo Continental V5 amp. Despite being seven years old and looking small, it's powerful, delivering 325mW per channel at 32ohms. With its help, SP3000 now boasts a more expansive, truly holographic soundstage—no longer a shallow, artificially wide soundstage. The notes are weightier, sharper at the edges, and the imaging is noticeably more precise. It livens up the sound, making it more energetic.

I couldn't be happier! This combo looks and sounds fantastic, it's not too bulky, and it's perfect for switching things up. Huge thanks to @Damz87 for selling me this DAP. He's really great and offers items in mint condition at fantastic prices.

IMG_1258.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #74,269 of 91,366
And so it begins. I've gone through the first few songs and it's amazing how different these are yet each could be someone's endgame.

Left to right:
AüR Audio Aure (1DD, 6BA)
AüR Audio Neon Pro (10BA)
Sennheiser IE600 (1DD)
Night Oblivion Butastur (10BA)
AüR Audio Aurora (2DD, 6BA)

1000011213.jpg

Dec 20, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #74,271 of 91,366
Just lurking and curious; for SP3000 owners, how does it drive full size headphones? I cannot imagine any DAP having trouble driving an IEM... :thinking:
Me neither. I can only speak for the Utopia 2022 and HD800s and both are driven (and sound) perfectly out of the SP3000. Also my IEMs (some say Anni and GM are "hard to drive") sound perfectly nice to me. And (for me personally, others might make different experience), I see no improvement with powerful external amps. But I do have the impression that other amps sound very slightly different. Not better or worse, just a little different. Might be psycho-acoustics, though.

YMMV.

Dec 20, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #74,272 of 91,366
Can’t beat seeing this notification when it was previously showing a day later 🥰

IMG_9377.jpeg

Dec 20, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #74,274 of 91,366
Singapore is high on my list of countries to visit again - I was there for about 5 weeks when I was 12, bought my first Walkman in Lucky Plaza on Orchard Road! It was a mind blowing trip as it was my first time leaving Ireland, and even Dublin at the time was relatively backwards in many ways - seeing a building higher than 10 stories for example, and I remember being fascinated seeing police in booth type units in the city. My older brother (who passed away over 20 years ago) and I took it upon ourselves one night to sneak out and take a wander - we stumbled across what I recall as being a sort of outdoor bar/food place with a lot of elderly locals who were intrigued by two young kids wandering around… oh and we were caught going back into the apartment later on and grounded for a few days. Anyway, definitely going back some day - it would be amazing to see again after 35 years, such special memories of that trip.
The landscape has changed much since then. But Lucky Plaza is still very much alive.

Dec 20, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #74,275 of 91,366
Man, I think you drink too much maple syrup. I have a hard time to comprehend what are you talking about, but one thing I can say for sure. Cables does affect the sound and that's a hard fact. (Sorry for you guys the "cable rolling is snake oil" believers)

Now I think I need that maple syrup, as well 🤣

Dec 20, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #74,276 of 91,366
With this Coltrane album in combination with Miles Davis' kind of blue started my early begin of the travel into jazz which day after day continues more into deep.

While Davis pursued a path to modal jazz, Coltrane developed his form of free jazz. For me, the most interesting antipodes in music history, who nevertheless created great things together. For me personally, Cotrane and Davis are the absolute great masters of jazz and therefore immortal.

Many thanks to you, @Rockwell75 for reminding us by the cover of the Coltrane album.
Right away I thought about Bill Evans and John McLaughlin, where they went after earlier days with Miles. Which are two examples of a departure that Miles encouraged, and it did not stop with them.
We owe so much to Miles for this music we love.

Couple quotes from Miles I find inspiring.

“Don’t play what’s there, play what’s not there.”

“I always listen to what I can leave out.”

“At least one day out of the year all musicians should just put their instruments down, and give thanks to Duke Ellington.”

“If you understood everything I say, you’d be me!”

Peace and happy holidays friends.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #74,278 of 91,366
This Sound Rhyme DTE900EST is such a ridiculous proposition I really don’t know why I would spend more ever😇

Attachments

• IMG_6035.jpeg
    IMG_6035.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6034.jpeg
    IMG_6034.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6033.jpeg
    IMG_6033.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back