The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 20, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #74,251 of 90,220
Lucky you to have a wife like that 👍😁
I ask my wife to accompany me to SG next year but she don't want to join me to Canjam and don't want to be left alone in the hotel. I told her to go sightseeing by herself on the mall but she said she don't enjoy walking alone. So in the end I go to SG by myself 🤷🏼‍♂️

I can understand her POV. I am looking at NYC Canjam myself. My wife raised interest in going so I'll probably split 1 day for CJ while we go sightseeing on another.

Dec 20, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #74,252 of 90,220
You are right. It's a very quiet room, you come with your DAP, play your music, less than ten people around. You get an idea of sound presentation even if tips are not the best fit. A fantastic place to try headphones and IEMs.
Can't you bring your own tips?

Or you can just go to Zeppelin & Co. in SG. Some people says it's like a mini canjam too 😁
They don't have that many to be honest although what they have is very good. Outside of Japan and Hong Kong if I had to pick a spot to demo hundreds of IEMs I'd go for Seoul.

I can understand her POV. I am looking at NYC Canjam myself. My wife raised interest in going so I'll probably split 1 day for CJ while we go sightseeing on another.
It may be time for shirts with "Please talk to me, I'm the wife of a Watercooler guy"

drftr

Dec 20, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #74,253 of 90,220
Lucky you to have a wife like that 👍😁
I ask my wife to accompany me to SG next year but she don't want to join me to Canjam and don't want to be left alone in the hotel. I told her to go sightseeing by herself on the mall but she said she don't enjoy walking alone. So in the end I go to SG by myself 🤷🏼‍♂️
Haha, I feel you, man. Last CanJam SG, my wife was actually excited to go sightseeing by herself while I went to the show. She loves exploring without Google Maps or other people telling her where to go, so, yeah, ‘definitely lucky there. :)

Can't you bring your own tips?

They don't have that many to be honest although what they have is very good. Outside of Japan and Hong Kong if I had to pick a spot to demo hundreds of IEMs I'd go for Seoul.

It may be time for shirts with "Please talk to me, I'm the wife of a Watercooler guy"

drftr
Indeed, Singapore is unlike HK, Japan or S. Korea in that its shops are kinda spread out. It may not be ideal for tourists on a time crunch, but I actually love that about SG. It means you can sightsee and hunt audio gear at the same time. I actually miss the times the shops were even further spread out, especially around the Orchard area.

Dec 20, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #74,254 of 90,220

Seoul - Scheherazade was still my favourite place to demo iems. Excellent selection from iems to sources.

Screenshot_20231219-230715_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231219-230644_Gallery.jpg

It had almost everything except Elysian. The environment was quiet, good for journaling. They allowed me to self serve, grab handfuls of gear without hovering over me. Meeting Steve was also a big highlight during my trip!

Screenshot_20231219-230518_Gallery.jpg

drftr
She can wear one that says "High Resolution" while I wear one that says "V shaped 😆.

Dec 20, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #74,255 of 90,220
Following the recommendations from Kyonnie and Stacey, I was able to spend some time at E-earphones Akihabara in Tokyo and what a store it is! Seven stories packed with headphones, amps, cables and IEMs. Quite amazing. All of the IEMs are on display by categories depending of price, they go from affordable ones to pieces over 100,000 yen. To give you an idea, 100,000 yen is around 700 US dollars. Some have regular connections, some are balanced. They give you little wipes to clean the tips after use. So pro! I used my phone with USB Pro which was not the best source per se but I got an idea of pieces that I had never listened to in the US.

20231203_155616_HDR.jpg
The main entrance. It's not a large store.

20231203_153843.jpg20231203_153434_HDR.jpg20231203_153132_HDR.jpg20231203_153424.jpg

Hello jeanft. This is my dream. I can already see, that i take week of holiday and spend there all the time. Uffff. On the other hand, this would totally ruin me. Maybe not bad, that shop like this are 10 000 Km away from me. If something like this here in Europe, my wife will kill me. Iam sure.

Anyway thanks for nice photo. Looks amazing. :wink:

Dec 20, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #74,256 of 90,220
What would you guys suggest for an ultimate soundstage/detail retrieval IEM? Assume I don't care about naturallness, intimacy and all that. And only want the ultimate resolution and separation.
Something a cut ahead of Anole VX.
It’d probably be the Ragnar, Fei Wan or STORM. The Ragnar beats you over the head with transience and detail, but its upfrontedness sacrifices a bit of depth. The Fei Wan resolves, expands and separates effortlessly, but it isn’t as apparent with its clarity as the Ragnar, ‘cus of its more-elevated bass. The STORM has resolution up the wazoo, but its staging is very chain-dependent.
Sounds like you're describing STORM + Nightjar Sovereign Symphony 4W Cable, if that doesn't sound big i don't know what is haha
Personally, the combo is like a concert hall setting
+1 for Trailli and 64a Fourté is no slouch too in terms of soundstage 😁
For me, the soundstage is one of the most important technical things that I attach particular importance to. Traillii is unfortunately quite disappointing in this aspect for me (with my SP3000). Yep, it's spacious - but unfortunately nothing more. The holographic aspect is somehow missing, it lacks of depth and height. Traillii sounds two-dimensional, as if from two speakers, but not three-dimensional. Here I find Anni alone more holographic (surely because of the great and funny macro-dynamics… man that ticker note!), even if not as wide. Mentor is a different level although even it is narrower.
Looks like Storm, Trailli, and Ragnar were the most common answers. How would you all compare AP for details and staging?

Dec 20, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #74,257 of 90,220
Haha, I feel you, man. Last CanJam SG, my wife was actually excited to go sightseeing by herself while I went to the show. She loves exploring without Google Maps or other people telling her where to go, so, yeah, ‘definitely lucky there. :)

Indeed, Singapore is unlike HK, Japan or S. Korea in that its shops are kinda spread out. It may not be ideal for tourists on a time crunch, but I actually love that about SG. It means you can sightsee and hunt audio gear at the same time. I actually miss the times the shops were even further spread out, especially around the Orchard area.
Connect IT & E1 were at the opposite ends of Orchard right? Definitely a nice peaceful walk in the evening, stopping by once of the sidewalk vendors for that delicious ice cream samich.

Dec 20, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #74,258 of 90,220
Really excited to see everyone in NYC!

Dec 20, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #74,259 of 90,220

Singapore is high on my list of countries to visit again - I was there for about 5 weeks when I was 12, bought my first Walkman in Lucky Plaza on Orchard Road! It was a mind blowing trip as it was my first time leaving Ireland, and even Dublin at the time was relatively backwards in many ways - seeing a building higher than 10 stories for example, and I remember being fascinated seeing police in booth type units in the city. My older brother (who passed away over 20 years ago) and I took it upon ourselves one night to sneak out and take a wander - we stumbled across what I recall as being a sort of outdoor bar/food place with a lot of elderly locals who were intrigued by two young kids wandering around… oh and we were caught going back into the apartment later on and grounded for a few days. Anyway, definitely going back some day - it would be amazing to see again after 35 years, such special memories of that trip.

Dec 20, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #74,261 of 90,220
Looks like Storm, Trailli, and Ragnar were the most common answers. How would you all compare AP for details and staging?
The AP has incredible resolution, especially for its sig, which incorporates a good amount of midrange glow/echo/reverb. It rivals the Ragnar in detail with a much harder signature to do it with. But, because it has bigger, more emotive notes that are closer to you, it doesn’t have that distant, cavernous, almost-incoherent presentation you may be looking for.

Connect IT & E1 were at the opposite ends of Orchard right? Definitely a nice peaceful walk in the evening, stopping by once of the sidewalk vendors for that delicious ice cream samich.
They were, yeah, but E1 doesn’t exist anymore AFAIK, so it’s just Connect IT and Plaza SG’s Stereo Electronics left in the Orchard-adjacent areas. We used to have Music Sanctuary there, ION Orchard’s Stereo Electronics, plus the two already mentioned. The majority of stuff is either at Zepp or the Adelphi building (Jaben, AV One, Project Perfection).

Dec 20, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #74,262 of 90,220
To tag onto deezel's answer, even between Storm, Traillii and Ragnar the staging is very different. Storm's staging was being recommended with the caveat of an expensive upgrade cable, Storm out of the box has a rather narrow stage but goes quite deep. Traillii is very wide, so much that vocals distinctly sound like it's coming from 2 channels. Ragnar is very holographic but can reach the point of almost sounding hollow depending on the chain you are using. So I think they all achieve what you're looking for but in very different ways.

Dec 20, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #74,264 of 90,220
I brought my girlfriend there, she the best translator! Y’all should include your wives in your hobbies.
This is exactly how I moved on to iems from cans. My wife just kept confiscating cans. "Oh, these sound nice", she said, and poof - cans are no longer mine.

Dec 20, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #74,265 of 90,220
I brought my girlfriend there, she the best translator! Y’all should include your wives in your hobbies.
Does she translate between you and your wife? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back