The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 15, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #73,546 of 91,365
Oh wow this reminds me my introduction to the hobby. Was looking for a pair of “good headphones” and ended with the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless II. They had swappable face plates as well. Back then I thought the $150? was steep for audio gear and here I am now..
I remember loving the pair of crossfades I bought at a RadioShack in 2012(?). Had em until the pads peeled and then they were lost in a move. A simpler time

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #73,547 of 91,365
Have you tried the CFA bonneville? It’s been regarded quite well here recently. Makes me believe it’s pretty high quality especially for the price. Worth a shot… maybe it’ll make you change your mind about audio
I have not, but I have my prejudice about it after seeing that graph. I'm struggling to comprehend how it could play female vocals or just about any instrument naturally. Of course, I'm just thinking out loud here, I might be terribly wrong. Would love to audition it.

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #73,548 of 91,365
Has anyone managed to compare the SP3000 (CU) with the M9+? What are the differences in the audio area? It kind of drives me crazy that tests from websites don't mention anything (I suspect a condition by A&K or Shanling here), and here in the forum there is no such good information about it, although some already have / had both devices.

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #73,549 of 91,365
I have not, but I have my prejudice about it after seeing that graph. I'm struggling to comprehend how it could play female vocals or just about any instrument naturally. Of course, I'm just thinking out loud here, I might be terribly wrong. Would love to audition it.
It's extremely coloured but who knows, maybe you'll like it? Everything is worth a try if you have the means to access it.

I found the midrange enjoyable despite being far from neutral but it was the midbass that sounded too wonky to me.

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #73,550 of 91,365
Next to the thread title in the portable section:

Screen Shot 2023-12-14 at 4.26.48 PM.png

This is on my laptop though...not sure where to see it on a mobile device.
Just rotate the mobile to landscape orientation

IMG_0477.png
You may need to select Desktop Mode on your phone's browser too.

This is an iem that lets you sink into my music with incredible fidelity. I have a weak spot for warm W shaped iems such as Impact, Ronin, Traillii, Mentor, Phonix (OG)
Added!

drftr

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #73,551 of 91,365
It's slightly towards warm IMO 🙂
Listening to it for 3 hours last night, beside a slight discomfort due to wrong eartips, I find AP are like Jewel to me. Nice, smooth, and effortless. Sufficient treble without going harsh, and punchier bass than Jewel actually. Still amazed with their BA bass performance 🥰
But I kinda understand what @Tokpakorlo said about too much bass. I love bass but not that much. Tone down it a bit and it's tastefully done. Some tips rolling might do the job. Right now still not sure which one to pick between Divinus Velvet or ELT Baroque 🤔
In order to get better BCD sensation I think a thicker silicon like the stock AZLA tips helps but I just can't use it for long listening session. I can feel the BCD sensation are less prominent when using Baroque and Divinus Velvet.
I am using Spiral Dots ++ exactly for that use case

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #73,553 of 91,365
Am I destined to use Spiral Dot++ on every IEM I have? 😂
Well, I'll have to try it later then 🤭
But if I'm not mistaken isn't wide bore usually enhance bass? And smaller bore enhance mid and treble? CMIIW
Try it
Spiral Dots ++ are usually known to enhance mids and reduce bass in contrast to normal Spiral Dots which do the opposite

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:08 AM Post #73,554 of 91,365
Try it
Spiral Dots ++ are usually known to enhance mids and reduce bass in contrast to normal Spiral Dots which do the opposite
Will do and thanks for your input 🙏😁
With Baroque and Divinus I manage to get a good and deep insertion but doesn't have a good BCD sensation like when I'm using their stock AZLA. I don't know if it really is the effect of BCD, but what I feel when compared with my other IEM is I can vividly "feel" the rumble and texture of every percussion and vibration of instrument directly on my ears. Listening to Fourplay using AP is a treat to my ears 🥰🥰

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #73,555 of 91,365
Had a chance to audition today several IEMs: Noble Ronin, Noble Spartacus, Astell & Kern Aura, Fir E12.

All listening was done with DX320 MAX TI using stock tips and cables.

Ronin: a nice set which I consider an attempt to create a faster and more technically superior sounding Trailly. The shells are big, nozzles are long, it isolates very well, but was just somewhat comfortable - as with other Nobles a lot of tips rolling is needed for me. It indeed is quicker than the Bird, but in terms of quality I feel that it is half-step behind, I hear them as a little bit hazed. The timbre is a natural one. Bass is controlled and maybe lacking mid bass a bit, mids are detailed and somewhat in focus, highs elevated very slightly. Staging and imaging is behind other TOTLs as stage heavily lacks depth making Ronin sounding more 2D than 3D.

Spartacus: this one was a surprise for me. Despite not having a single DD in its config it delivers with lot of texture, quantity and authority in the bass department thanks to double BCD I believe. Mids are somewhat coloured with some instruments brought a bit back but vocals being prominent and forward. Treble accentuated just a bit and spicy only at times. Overall technicalities like details and staging are good, imaging being on the TOTL level. Cable of some cheaper looks but delivers sonically quite well. Shells are thin and lightweight, comfortable. Maybe I’ll buy this set some day. And it looks great!

Aura: I was blown away by this. Very easily driven, I think it is one of the best non-BCD sets on the market, if not just simply the best one. The bass is again one of the best I heard quality-wise, at least on the Ragnar level or better. It reaches very deep in the sub bass, provides tons of texture and punch while being very well controlled despite being lifted. No bleed to mids whatsoever.
Mids are one of the best on the market. They are somewhat romantic, lush, but nuanced and detailed. Highs are very coherent and, thanks God, are lean, neutral, with natural amount of sparkle and airiness. They also extend alot quite effortlessly.
It falls behid the Bird in the width just a bit, but it staging feels very holographic.
Cable feels cheap but again at least delivers sonically, and it’s also good in terms ergonomics and looks.
Aura Shells surprised me being that much lightweight and on the smaller side.
Wish it wasn’t a limited release!

E12: great bass in terms of quality and quantity, delivers both punch and texture, but mids are lean and highs are shouty at times for me unfortunately.

Seems you experience the Aura like I do 😄
Absolutely love the bass on them, which I did not expect to be the highlight when I bought them. You would expect The somewhat warm mids, but the quality/texture and even quantity of the 2 DD really shine.

I now need to get my hands on a Raven and see what bone conduction is all about 😅 (or an amber pearl, but I love me some DD)

Though after the build and sound quality of the Aura, the bar is set really high.

For example: I adore my Jewel and what it does, but next to the Aura build wise its kinda cheap (to each there own ofc, still love the sparkle design). A resin shell generally to me is more lightweight and comfortable, but the shell of the aura with the chriron nova cable just oozes quality. At this price point (or any other 2k plus IEM) having the feeling of a “nice watch” as others compared iems to, should be the standard. Sound always comes first, but its extra nice if the iem feels like a piece of jewelry or art 😄 that can last the test of time.
Well done VE and A&K.

At my work where people generally are unaware of this hobby, with the 2 days brought the aura, people keep randomly asking me what they are and that they look amazing.
While I brought roughly 10s of different iems, this is a first .

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #73,556 of 91,365
I now need to get my hands on a Raven and see what bone conduction is all about 😅 (or an amber pearl, but I love me some DD)

I compared both the aura and raven for several hours and decided on keeping the aura. The raven's bass went a lot deeper, but the quality of it was not as good as the aura. In the end, the only genre's that I felt stood out was hip hop.

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #73,557 of 91,365
Am I destined to use Spiral Dot++ on every IEM I have? 😂
Well, I'll have to try it later then 🤭
But if I'm not mistaken isn't wide bore usually enhance bass? And smaller bore enhance mid and treble? CMIIW
Other way round.

Dec 15, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #73,559 of 91,365
IMG_1132.jpeg

Received Aroma Jewel today. I know this IEM is so last year, but I'm super excited to finally give it a listen.

Dec 15, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #73,560 of 91,365
IMG_1132.jpeg

Received Aroma Jewel today. I know this IEM is so last year, but I'm super excited to finally give it a listen.
Still a great IEM. You can thank @Dynamo5561 for the design of this one. :) Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back