The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 12, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #73,322 of 88,261
OK just finished a 3 hour session with Quattro. I kind of feel like I'm ready to give my first impressions.

I immediately switched out the stock cable for the Gladiator "Aes Harmony" UP-OCC SPC cable, so I'm not sure how they sound with stock cable. Stock cable looks really nice, feels very good, and should sound good too, but I went with a cable I know is very revealing and transparent, and is very comfortable. I noticed the 2-pin sockets of the Quattro gripped onto the stock cable like a vice, so it was pretty difficult getting it off of the Quattro, not bend or break anything, and switch to the Aes Harmony.

I'm currently using Softears Ultra Clear eartips for my first listening session with the Quattro. Very comfortable, no fit or seal issues so far. Grips my ears tight with no pressure or discomfort at all in all 3 hours.

Need to be honest, I didn't love the Quattro out of the box like I loved the sound of the Monarch MKIII, Penon 10th AE and ISN NEO 5 out of the box. It was sibilant with some tracks and I felt the need to turn the volume down. But now, sibilance is tamed with a bit of burn in, maybe both brain burn in and/or drivers burn in. KPop female vocals isn't as spicy and sharp, but still need to watch the volume level and not turn it up too high.

What surprised me most with the Quattro is how resolving, detailed, and technical it is. I was expecting the Quattro to sound thick, warm, analogue-sounding, smooth, with bass bordering on basshead. This thing is a technical beast at this price point and much higher. Soundstage, imaging, and microdetails are all spectacular. Great timbre too. Instruments sound so realistic and tonally correct. The DDs are surprisingly agile and fast. Complex tracks are easily handled by these drivers. Rock, classical, orchestral, jazz, soundtracks, etc. sound absolutely amazing with the Quattro.

What I would've liked is more bass slam, rumble, and extension. Don't get me wrong, the bass is high quality and very controlled, even without full burn in. But bass quantity is just not at the level I was expecting with all of these DDs working together. Definitely not as impactful, rumbly, or visceral as 10th AE or Monarch MKIII. Satisfying enough, but could be better. I think if it had more bass, it could overwhelm the rest of the frequencies and not sound as clean, transparent, detailed, and revealing.

Alright, taking a break and going to let these burn in overnight. Quattro is 100% worth the purchase and punches way above its price ($400 retail). Can't wait to hear it after extensive burn in and maybe some more cable/eartip rolling. I'm happy with how it sounds now but maybe it could get better, who knows.

Great job Penon. Another awesome IEM release!

Penon Quattro.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #73,323 of 88,261
I really liked what Penon did with the 3DD Serial ($300) and it's good to see them step up with the 4DD Quattro ($400). A few years ago, it was tough to find such quality and technicality in iems at these price points. Trickle down effect from the expensive TOTL iems. Good for the consumers.

Dec 12, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #73,324 of 88,261
So according to you, Fei Wan has a same level of mids with Jewel but with enhanced bass and treble? Gotta try it again later this afternoon, because for me the mids on FW are not as good as on Jewel, but doesn't mean it's bad though 🙂
I won't pick FW for vocals. Listening to Andrea Bocelli's Romanza and I feel the mids on Jewel are fuller and has more texture compared to FW 😉
I'm on the other end of the spectrum, where I find the FW actually improves on the Jewel's midrange. :D I liked the timbre the Jewel was going for, but the dynamics weren't quite there IMO. During sax solos or keyboard solos, the mids couldn't really get up and drive like I think it should. It was kinda lackadaisical and "sleepy" all the time. The FW, even though it usually leans energetic, has better authority over its dynamic range, I feel.

Dec 12, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #73,325 of 88,261
I'm on the other end of the spectrum, where I find the FW actually improves on the Jewel's midrange. :D I liked the timbre the Jewel was going for, but the dynamics weren't quite there IMO. During sax solos or keyboard solos, the mids couldn't really get up and drive like I think it should. It was kinda lackadaisical and "sleepy" all the time. The FW, even though it usually leans energetic, has better authority over its dynamic range, I feel.
Found this to be very source dependent but also actually one of the reasons I like using the Jewel since I can just leave them in my ears all day. Sounds like a nice complimentary duo they've got figured out :)

Dec 12, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #73,326 of 88,261
I can agree with you consider FW as energetic. And yes the dynamics on FW are better than on Jewel but not the fatiguing energetic I think, which is good 😉

Dec 13, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #73,327 of 88,261
Right now, Aura is my favorite Vision Ears IEM. I first heard it in Socal, but the person who had it before me loved it with the Shirogane cable. He loved that pairing, but it did not work for me. It overloaded the treble and so I therefore had an unfavorable experience with it.
Did you notice a reduction in bass with Shirogane? I've been considering a Shirogane to pair up with the Aura myself.

Dec 13, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #73,329 of 88,261
Based on some people here, it seems that Kinera Imperial Loki is so good and most of the review are positive, but I don't really like their default design specifically the font they use on the word "Kinera" and "Loki" on each faceplate. Kinda like how I dislike the font on the back case of my Cayin N30AP and their "Never be the same again" tagline when I turn on the device 😂
I'm so glad you called this out. I'm surprised these poor design choices don't rankle more folks around here, especially on such expensive items you'd want to proudly display.

Dec 13, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #73,330 of 88,261
It will be very interesting if someone can compare Oriolus Monachaa and Penon Quattro above. Right now, I can say both are in blue color, both have 4 DD, :gs1000smile:
I only had a couple of short demos with Monacha at CanJam, and my takeaway under those ridiculous circumstances was it was nicely balanced, no basshead flavor in sight, and am engaging tuning.

I've had a bit more time with Quattro tho it is still on the burn in track. It is also balanced and not basshead, tho it seems to lean more to bass than I recall Monacha. Interestingly, Quattro has super engaging treble with meaty mids and beautiful quality bass, if not banging.

I think both are going to have a lot of appeal. And, tbh, the pricetag on Quattro just makes me smile, and I think I had that smile on as they put me to sleep last night.

Dec 13, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #73,331 of 88,261
I only had a couple of short demos with Monacha at CanJam, and my takeaway under those ridiculous circumstances was it was nicely balanced, no basshead flavor in sight, and am engaging tuning.

I've had a bit more time with Quattro tho it is still on the burn in track. It is also balanced and not basshead, tho it seems to lean more to bass than I recall Monacha. Interestingly, Quattro has super engaging treble with meaty mids and beautiful quality bass, if not banging.

I think both are going to have a lot of appeal. And, tbh, the pricetag on Quattro just makes me smile, and I think I had that smile on as they put me to sleep last night.
Wow, really tempted. Just waiting for the official sales start.

Dec 13, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #73,332 of 88,261
Based on some people here, it seems that Kinera Imperial Loki is so good and most of the review are positive, but I don't really like their default design specifically the font they use on the word "Kinera" and "Loki" on each faceplate. Kinda like how I dislike the font on the back case of my Cayin N30AP and their "Never be the same again" tagline when I turn on the device 😂

I'm so glad you called this out. I'm surprised these poor design choices don't rankle more folks around here, especially on such expensive items you'd want to proudly display
In my opinion the Loki in the Fire Warrior (the only one I’ve seen in person) is quite a stunning looking iem with its hand painted faceplates and the build quality is quite nice. It’s actually been one of the nicer designs I’ve seen compared to some other more expensive UIEM’s that don’t allow you to customize them as Kinera does. Kinera makes some of the best designs IMO and the font is the same if you notice they made Kinera smaller to fit across the faceplate. 😎

IMG_8385.jpeg

Just a man’s opinion 🫣

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #73,333 of 88,261
Penon's new 4 DD "Quattro" has arrived.

Going to reserve my initial impressions after some burn in.

Penon Quattro.jpg
Penon Quattro-4.jpg
Penon Quattro-3.jpg
Penon Quattro-1.jpg
Penon Quattro-2.jpg
The blue cable in the 1st photo is gorgeous!!!
Is that the stock cable for the Penon Quattro?

Dec 13, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #73,334 of 88,261
Speaking of bad designs, the font of the Grand Maestro is hideous imo. The font doesn’t scream “grand”. If anything the FatFreq font on their minis looks more premium.

Not yet, it’s been a while since I've updated it. I'll do it soon :)
My wallet has sensed the end is near.

Dec 13, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #73,335 of 88,261

XuelinClear.jpg

That's the Xuelin Clear - a tiny 157 gram player I've just reviewed, and I'm a bit shocked at how good it sounds. You're invited to discover why here. :smiley:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back