The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 25, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #71,551 of 88,251
I love this hobby!!!

So, I've been seeking the ideal cable pairing with Xe6. I like it's stock but it didn't make Xe6 shine as much it could, which I would discover. Thankfully, this iem is pretty forgiving of cables, almost anything decent sounds good.

But certain cables have been reported to bring out more of Xe6. I bought EA Code 23 for this exact reason and the advice was well given. Code23 gives Xe6 something special, retaining a strong bass that doesn't muddle up vocals or treble. I found the same to be true of with the Rn6 cable...weird because they are made of different material, code 23 being solid core copper and Rn6 cable being silver. Strange that they sounded so similar, even when compared to multiple other cables that I have, including PWA FT, Nightjar Vanguard, and others that I tried.

What I did not try was the Penon Leo Plus, which I already own. Just never occurred to me to try it...something about Penon and Fir didn't sound right? Not sure. But when I realized Leo Plus was primarily silver, with a little gold and palladium for fun, I thought...will it be like Rn6 stock?

To my delight and surprise, it did, and it did in ways I haven't heard anything else make Xe6 sound!! Separation across the FR, and bass taming to an insane extent are going to make this a fun weekend! If you happen to have this cable and an Xe6 or an Rn6, give it a try.

Just wow...Xe6 keeps surprising me 😍
Let me try this.
Wait, damn, no Rn6/Xe6 at hand...
🤣

But earnestly - the LP is a nice cable. Have mine sent to Antonio for a little customization (new plug and an exchangeable termination like ConX)... Now waiting for it to come home to Papa... :)
IMG_20231102_192602.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #71,553 of 88,251
Is that a Forza cable? Which one? How do you find it deals with Trifecta's peaks? Feel better soon!
Thank you! It works well with Trifecta, aside from the connection issues all Forza IEM mmcx cables I own (two) have…they don’t have a strong/stable connection to the IEMs, and they wobble, causing cut outs. Sent them back for repair and they still have the issue so I gave up on it.
This one is an 8 core hybrid series.

Nov 25, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #71,554 of 88,251
Isolating on Saturday ( with Covid 😷)
Nice case, nice cable, nice photo and get well soon bro 🙏
Which of your IEMs pair well with the Meet Agains? 🙂
I only try it with my Trailli and I don't like it, but I'll need to try it again later because my ears is overindulged with OrphyS sound 😂
I'll try it with Jewel later tonight 😉
Us: So what're you going to rhyme with cruel summer?!
Taylor: Oh I know! Oooh-ooh-whoa-ah!
Us: That's never going to work!
Taylor: Hold my beer...

I think this one suits better with the Oooh-ooh-whoa-ah! 🤣

Please guys, have mercy! That was 65 pages of Watercooler in way too many hours. I may have to cancel my new job before I even start...

My personal top 1 of things to never ever hear again on a desert island would be tinnitus for sure. It has become almost unbearable over the past 40-ish years bit by bit, and it has peaked during the past 2 years. It must be total coincidence that I'm using IEMs since then, right? 😪 It was my biggest annoyance during my 10 years, 10 months, and 10 days of travelling: Sitting on remote mountain tops in the Andes, on enormous dunes in the Sahara, or on the Mongolian steppe, and always being surrounded by that horrendous orchestra of high pitched notes screaming for attention.

I wonder how much tinnitus influences my choice of IEMs as I hate bright sounding IEMs. They may only sound too bright to me because of tinnitus.

Same here bro. I've heard most of the TOTL IEMs excluding '23 additions but I was never confident enough any of them could replace my love for Sultan. If only I could create my own mix of Radon 6, Ronin, Mentor, Traillii, Perpetua, and U18t.

drftr
Oof, must be hard to live with tinnitus for 40+ years 🥲
I'm glad that you can deal with it masterfully, and boy you sure love travelling. That's some exotic place I want to visit too 😍

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #71,555 of 88,251
Great setup!

I’m looking forward to getting the ie600 from a fellow headfier… I tested it at HAA in Amsterdam and really dug them.
What do you recommend as a cable substitution? I didn’t like the ergonomics of the Sennheiser one.
The one I've got is a no-name SPC from AliX and it's very comfortable, feels decent quality and well worth the ~$20 (two zeros less than the usual price tags of cables mentioned in here 😅). For something better I've been recommended the Brise IE600-specific cable. Roughly ~$500. Can't bring myself to spend that much on wires (yet).

Nov 25, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #71,556 of 88,251
Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Nov 25, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #71,558 of 88,251
Can anyone recommend a desktop DAC/AMP that has at least the same performance in terms of sound quality as the SP3000? I assume these DAPs are so expensive because of the technology and because they are an "all-in-one" portable device. So I assume that something like a desktop DAC/AMP can be cheaper and yet better. Any tips?

In the past, I have tested the CA1000T, Hugo2, Hugo TT2, ADI-2 (Pro SE) and others and they were not "better" for me, not even "equal" in sound quality.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #71,559 of 88,251
Can anyone recommend a desktop DAC/AMP that has at least the same performance in terms of sound quality as the SP3000? I assume these DAPs are so expensive because of the technology and because they are an "all-in-one" portable device. So I assume that something like a desktop DAC/AMP can be cheaper and yet better. Any tips?

In the past, I have tested the CA1000T, Hugo2, Hugo TT2, ADI-2 (Pro SE) and others and they were not "better" for me, not even "equal" in sound quality.
Lotoo Mjölnir was very capable when i have tried it with IEMs. Black background, very dynamic and resolving. but not necessarily cheaper :)

Nov 25, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #71,560 of 88,251
Lotoo Mjölnir was very capable when i have tried it with IEMs. Black background, very dynamic and resolving. but not necessarily cheaper :)
Yep, a "bit" too expensive. The idea is that it should be (more) affordable but comparable in the sound. I was looking for something like this a year ago but finally I gave up because I couldn't find anything.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #71,561 of 88,251

Bartok Apex + Amp maybe? 🤭
I don't have any idea if what you seek is have the same price and sonic performance like SP3 😂
If you only mention about sonic performance than you need to try Bartok Apex and their Amp 😉

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #71,564 of 88,251

My opinion is that you will have to spend a lot more on stationary equipment. From what I have heard, I recommend DCS Lina or Boulder 812.

Nov 25, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #71,565 of 88,251
Yep, a "bit" too expensive. The idea is that it should be (more) affordable but comparable in the sound. I was looking for something like this a year ago but finally I gave up because I couldn't find anything.
I think the question is a valid one, if desktop dacs are so much bigger. They should be able to out perform a dap at lower price? Why else even bother with going desktop

I dont have anything to verify nor debunk this, but I would hope it does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back