The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 19, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #70,921 of 90,375
Looking for some swarm intelligence here. I absolutely adore the Dunu Falcon Pro (with the Atmospheric Immersion Filterset). That bass is like i love my bass. thick, meaty and engaging. I am currently looking for a higher End version (might as well be a TOTL IEM) that kind of does what the Falcon Pro does, but better. Better soundstage (eventhough i love the way the Falcon Pro does present the music), but they need to sound a bit clearer.

Have sold my Z1R a few hours ago, so the Sony would not be an option. Fit just is too much of an issue and i don't have enough time in my lifetime to listen to uncomfortable IEMs. Also own the U12t, which is a great IEM, but i want something more in the line of the Falcon Pro with an Bass emphasis.

What would you choice be?
Campfire Bonneville. Selling my Falcon Ultras since I got them. Perfect upgrade path.

Nov 19, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #70,922 of 90,375
Hi Coolers! :)

today I went to the prerelease even for the ibasso DC Elite dongle at one of the local audio shops.
It’s supposed to be a miniaturized version of the 320 Max, and I must say it absolutely rocks!
I didn’t actually A/B against 320 Max (I could though if anyone is interested) but I compared to L&P W2, W4 and Ifi Go Bar Gold and this DC elite absolutely destroyed them all! That’s full size DAP level of performance! No kidding!
I already found that Gold Bar was amazing, but while comparing to my LP6, it was clear that wasn’t in the same league. Here I A/B tested extensively LP6 against DC Elite, and it pains me to say it, but I feel that dongle was actually playing with the big boys and wasn’t shying away! I don’t mean to overdo it and use big words and all, but I’m really impressed by what ibasso managed to achieve here! I’m even more surprised, because I typically am not a huge fan of ibasso’s house sound, which I generally find a bit too dry and analytical (not so much for the Max versions though). In the case of DC elite I found the sound still extremely detailed, but quite organic at the same time with excellent bass foundations, super tight and rumbly. In some ways it was challenging LP6 Gold , one of the bass gods, on its own turf!
soundstage and separation is also top notch!
Also, it could drive with no problems Anni 23 and Simphonio P0 that are pretty demanding sets. It did much better with P0 than the Gold bar, which is quite powerful in itself.

Anyway, I personally think that’s the current king of dongle by quite some margin and it’s such a no brainer at that price that I ordered one. I should be receiving my unit next week so I can share more if you guys are interested!
If you’re in the market for something compact that kicks like a mule, with top SQ, I highly recommend it! :)

Here are some pictures I took in the shop :

IMG_3917.jpeg
IMG_3918.jpegIMG_3919.jpegIMG_3920.jpeg

Cheers friends! :)

Julien

EDIT : also, I forgot to mention one thing that bothered me a little about the DC Elite though. The volume knob only has 24 steps which means you can find yourself wanting the volume level right in between those steps… And second little annoying thing about this volume knob is that it cuts the sound when you pass from 1 step to the other… Not a deal breaker for me personally, but it’s important to note!
Thanks Julien! Very interesting!

Is it a lot bigger than the L&P W4?
Do you know how much battery it drains from an iPhone?
Price wise it's in the same league as the W4?

Nov 19, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #70,923 of 90,375
I could meet all my needs with this trio of my favorite Campfire IEMs:

1CADFAB4-D0EC-4B36-8AE8-16528E4FC181.JPEG

Bass/mids/staging/imaging/timbre: Trifecta
Resolution/coherence/balance: Supermoon
Mids/general allrounder: Bonneville

I'm enjoying the Supermoon today. It is stupidly good through the RS8. R2R plays very nicely with planar IEMs and lends a nice natural flow and body to the timbre while maintaining balance and resolution. I loved SM through the LP6 and I love it just as much here.
Love it. I am absolutely in love with the Bonnevilles. They do everything right. Now you've got me thinking about Supermoon for my "resolution/coherence/balance" set... And of course all the attributes you love about Trifecta are what I love about Bonneville, so now you've got me thinking about Trifectas, too.... Dang...

Nov 19, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #70,924 of 90,375
Ugh!!! Disaster struck. I found a job... 😣

Just when I was out of the rabbit hole with both arms and one leg. But sh!t happens and I may even have to become a semi-regular yet again. Oh well...

Timing is rather good though as I'm interested in how one of the most-regulars here will get along with Perpetua!

Welcome back in my life y'all 🥰

drftr
Good to see you back!! ☺️🤪 Sorry about having to work being retired I don't miss it at all. 💩👍👨‍🦼

Nov 19, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #70,925 of 90,375
If your ear time were limited and you decided to keep just 3 within the variations suite, what would they be?
If I absolutely had to pick only three and walk away from the hobby: Z1R, Legend X and IE900.

Nov 19, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #70,926 of 90,375
Nov 19, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #70,927 of 90,375
Love it. I am absolutely in love with the Bonnevilles. They do everything right. Now you've got me thinking about Supermoon for my "resolution/coherence/balance" set... And of course all the attributes you love about Trifecta are what I love about Bonneville, so now you've got me thinking about Trifectas, too.... Dang...
I agree, Bonneville is an almost perfect all-rounder. Doesn't really put a foot wrong, and in a world where $3000+ IEMs are the norm, it represents very good value.

Nov 19, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #70,928 of 90,375
If your ear time were limited and you decided to keep just 3 within the variations suite, what would they be?
Let's see:

U12t is obviously there for me.
I also want the Elysian Acoustic Labs Gaea for a spicy punchy sound signature.
The third one would be an odd choice: I want the AFUL MagicOne, a single BA IEM. It's cheap, it's isolating, and it sounds surprisingly decent in terms of tuning and imaging. Good for bringing outside.

Nov 19, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #70,929 of 90,375
I could meet all my needs with this trio of my favorite Campfire IEMs:

1CADFAB4-D0EC-4B36-8AE8-16528E4FC181.JPEG

Bass/mids/staging/imaging/timbre: Trifecta
Resolution/coherence/balance: Supermoon
Mids/general allrounder: Bonneville

I'm enjoying the Supermoon today. It is stupidly good through the RS8. R2R plays very nicely with planar IEMs and lends a nice natural flow and body to the timbre while maintaining balance and resolution. I loved SM through the LP6 and I love it just as much here.
Oh, did you replace your LP6 with the RS8 for good? What are the main reasons? Streaming capability of the RS8 or others?

Nov 19, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #70,930 of 90,375
Traded my Rn6 for the Jewel…..💎
(Blind trade, did not listen to it before)

….. but damn… 🪨 this is some high-end stuff right here 💪

The trifecta essentially replaced my Rn6, I never picked it up anymore. The Trifecta is just to good for my taste. So I was looking for something that does not compete with it, but can stand next to it.

Let me tell you, from a few hours of listening now… wow! Just wow!

I can see why the Jewel has gotten so much praise. Such a musical (yet analytical 🧐) IEM.

IMG_3494.jpeg

Nov 19, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #70,931 of 90,375
Hmh - not easy... Right now:

IE900
DTE900
Singularity/Butastur

Nov 19, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #70,932 of 90,375
If I absolutely had to pick only three and walk away from the hobby: Z1R, Legend X and IE900.
If I had to pick only three it would be:

Dita Perpetua-Mids Champ and extremely linear tuning, great for cleansing the palette after an exciting iem journey which brings me to my second choice..

Campfire Audio Trifecta for that big ballsy bass sound that can rival over ear headphones grandiosity.

Third place is currently undecided. I like having three iems in rotation normally but I’ve peeked into OTE headphone land and I’m deep into earbuds as well which have been consuming my time but if forced to pick a third it would be…actually having a hard time with this…awww hell, I pick

Empire Ears Odin for that energetic sound signature, deep bass, transparent mids and nice treble extension.

In the past Traillii and/or Phonix LE would’ve been on this list but I’m squarely in the “NO DD NO DICE” camp these days.
My third place spot is still open in my collection and I will be very careful to choose wisely..

Nov 19, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #70,933 of 90,375
Guys,

I am thinking of a Tier List video…well, four to be precise…one for IEMs, one for headphones, another for amps and a last one for DACs. For the sake of research:

What are your top 10 IEMs and headphones for 2023?

Just trying to cast a wide net so I don’t miss anything good. 😊🙏🏻

One:

RS8 with openback DAP case -> Raven with stock cable -> Spinfit Omni

Nov 19, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #70,934 of 90,375
I bid the NGaudio units farewell today - a sad parting 🥹 Loved Erebus (in case that wasn’t obvious!) and Eurus+ also, Khaos fell between the cracks somewhat as a less refined Erebus, whereas Eurus+ offered something different in a very emotive BA / EST set that was pretty perfect for ambient music in particular - I find I really like BA sub for lower registers of synths in particular… I had Traillii vibes listening to Eurus+ at times, wonderful set.

Nov 19, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #70,935 of 90,375
Nope. Can't do it. Put a gun to my head. I don't care. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back