The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 26, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #68,582 of 88,246
Oct 26, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #68,583 of 88,246
Oct 26, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #68,584 of 88,246
Fantastic post, exactly the kind of data points I'm looking for as I consider next step beyond RS6. N7 seems like it could fit the bill, but even with the HiBy filters etc and the HiBy app, it still might be more of a side-grade?
I had used RS6 previously and now with N7. From my experience, N7 isn’t a sidegrade but it’s an upgrade over RS6. N7 is better overall, whether it’s bass, or mids or it’s treble. N7’s treble is quite elevated compared to RS6 and is more clear and dynamic sounding of the two. Only where N7 isn’t an upgrade and even a downgrade, if you look at just being pocketable. And runs quite hot in Class A too. So pocketable is out of question.

Oct 26, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #68,586 of 88,246
I have been spending the day enjoying the Fei Wan, immediately when I heard it it gave me RN6-ish vibes. It’s not hard to visualize here why I got those feelings.

IMG_7163.jpeg

The Fei Wan takes that similar sound and I think polishes it up. I much prefer the warmer upper mids on Fei Wan as it comes off more coherent to me with the thicker lower mid range, where I heard RN6 to come off a tad spicy. Also the Fei Wan technicals are quite a step up above RN6 to my ears. I do however prefer the RN6 use of an EST driver for treble extension whereas Fei Wan uses BA highs. The BA highs on Fei Wan coupled with that much air give it a bit of a thicker/rounder type airy sound which takes some getting used to coming from EST treble IEMs, it doesn’t sound as defined in this region. The dual DD configuration in Fei Wan is also more textured and dynamic than the single DD from RN6, which I find noticeable in the sub bass, but again I am going from memory here with the same test tracks. This is about as good as I’ve heard this “thicker, analogue, but exciting” sound signature.

Now I’m going to spend the weekend deciding if I want these as a CIEM or not. I am trying to approach new CIEM buys with a much more calculated process rather than just buying in custom fit like I was. They fit me great and I love the baroque tips. However, Aroma has an amazing reshell policy. As of this moment I do plan to get these as a custom fit with the exact same design as universal, I might see if they can change the logo color to blue instead of purple. If not though, I like them as is with this design.

I’m looking forward to others impressions on this set as time passes. I find them quite tip sensitive which is something I didn’t have time to discover during my audition. The Eletech baroques sound wonderful on them and keep the bore completely open and unobstructed.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #68,587 of 88,246
Tips hype! Why does everything Eletech do have to be so comfortable? I am a sucker for comfort and now I miss Sonnet of Adam 😂

I really like these tips. They have a huge bore opening, the highs on FW immediately come off more off clean and detailed (is this what a CIEM FW would sound like? uh oh). Noticeable improvement for me over SpinFits or the stock Aroma tips (not sure what brand they are). They remind me of JVC Spiral Dots but for me they can get a slightly deeper insertion without compression.

IMG_7157.JPGIMG_7158.JPGIMG_7159.JPG
IIRC the stock eartips on Aroma are Acoustune AET08
I have been spending the day enjoying the Fei Wan, immediately when I heard it it gave me RN6-ish vibes. It’s not hard to visualize here why I got those feelings.

IMG_7163.jpeg

The Fei Wan takes that similar sound and I think polishes it up. I much prefer the warmer upper mids on Fei Wan as it comes off more coherent to me with the thicker lower mid range, where I heard RN6 to come off a tad spicy. Also the Fei Wan technicals are quite a step up above RN6 to my ears. I do however prefer the RN6 use of an EST driver for treble extension whereas Fei Wan uses BA highs. The BA highs on Fei Wan coupled with that much air give it a bit of a thicker type airy sound which takes some getting used to coming from EST trebleIEMs, it doesn’t sound as defined in this region. The dual DD configuration in Fei Wan is also more textured and dynamic than the single DD from RN6, which I find noticeable in the sub bass, but again I am going from memory here with the same test tracks. This is about as good as I’ve heard this “thicker, analogue, but exciting” sound signature.

Now I’m going to spend the weekend deciding if I want these as a CIEM or not. I am trying to approach new CIEM buys with a much more calculated process rather than just buying in custom fit like I was. They fit me great and I love the baroque tips. However, Aroma has an amazing reshell policy. As of this moment I do plan to get these as a custom fit with the exact same design as universal, I might see if they can change the logo color to blue instead of purple. If not though, I like them as is with this design.
Did you sell your RN6 too? I guess I won't be missing my RN6 that much then 🤭

Oct 26, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #68,588 of 88,246
Did you sell your RN6 too? I guess I won't be missing my RN6 that much then 🤭

Well hopefully you don’t regret it!

I sold my CIEM RN6 pretty fast, I liked it but couldn’t make it sound coherent enough between the mids unless I used the gold module, and then with the gold module I felt I lost separation and overall stage size. The red module gave me the staging I wanted (except depth) but then it was too spicy in the upper mids for me. It was sort of a lose-lose situation, but it’s okay.

Oct 26, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #68,589 of 88,246
@aaf evo you just need to experience more of those upper mids

Oct 26, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #68,591 of 88,246
Visually, my favourite IEM goes to Multiverse Mentor with nebula faceplates.

Unique-Melody-Multiverse-Mentor-Galaxy-01.jpg
My vote for #1 visuals also goes to the Multiverse Mentor (Nebula). I'm very happy with the Nebula that I got from @Natesdailies. It's a beautiful and discreet accessory for everyday use. Perfect for discreet wearing, the nebula only reveals its magic when the light catches it just right, making the silver dust shine against the illuminated cosmic background. I snapped a photo with my phone even though I'm not a good photographer.
UM Multiverse Mentor (Nebula) SE crop2.jpg

Oct 26, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #68,592 of 88,246

IMG_7163.jpeg

The Fei Wan takes that similar sound and I think polishes it up. I much prefer the warmer upper mids on Fei Wan as it comes off more coherent to me with the thicker lower mid range, where I heard RN6 to come off a tad spicy. Also the Fei Wan technicals are quite a step up above RN6 to my ears. I do however prefer the RN6 use of an EST driver for treble extension whereas Fei Wan uses BA highs. The BA highs on Fei Wan coupled with that much air give it a bit of a thicker/rounder type airy sound which takes some getting used to coming from EST treble IEMs, it doesn’t sound as defined in this region. The dual DD configuration in Fei Wan is also more textured and dynamic than the single DD from RN6, which I find noticeable in the sub bass, but again I am going from memory here with the same test tracks. This is about as good as I’ve heard this “thicker, analogue, but exciting” sound signature.

I’m looking forward to others impressions on this set as time passes. I find them quite tip sensitive which is something I didn’t have time to discover during my audition. The Eletech baroques sound wonderful on them and keep the bore completely open and unobstructed.
@aaf evo how does the Fei Wan sound in comparison to the Mentor? I have the Baroque tips on my mentors now.

Oct 26, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #68,593 of 88,246
@aaf evo how does the Fei Wan sound in comparison to the Mentor? I have the Baroque tips on my mentors now.

I'll be honest it's a bit more difficult to give memory comparisons versus Mentor because it sounds quite different to Fei Wan. I wouldn't want to be misleading since I'm not entirely confident without having them both side by side.

Oct 26, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #68,594 of 88,246
I'll be honest it's a bit more difficult to give memory comparisons versus Mentor because it sounds quite different to Fei Wan. I wouldn't want to be misleading since I'm not entirely confident without having them both side by side.
Oh I forgot you sold yours a little while back.

Oct 26, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #68,595 of 88,246
Hi Nate,

which of these would you buy yourself and therefore recommend? Have you possibly heard the IE900?

I've demoed the IE900 several times. I like the bass quality for that price segment but didn't jive with its treble energy personally.

Out of the iems I listed I would buy Diva 2021 (which I preferred over 2023). More dynamic contrast, my favourite BA bass next to Storm. If I were to add slightly more funds, I'd buy an MSE which I preferred over Singularity (cleaner, more resolving).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back