The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 24, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #68,161 of 87,742
Which particular IEMs are TOTL in your opinion?

I agree that the word TOTL should have nothing to do with price bit it is fine for a manufacturer to ask for whatever price they feel the IEM deserves.

@Deezel177 already answered this for me and I agree with him. But still, I thought I'll make a post anyway. I apologise in advance for another long post. I got carried away. :sweat_smile:

As I said, TOTL is a casually over-used word. But before anything you got to ask, what do you really mean when you say TOTL?
  • Do you mean top of the line = flagship = most expensive IEM in a company's lineup? That could be a sub-$1000 IEM, as it is in quite a few lineups of a lot of very capable companies. But wouldn't it be snobbery to not call it TOTL just because it isn't priced exorbitantly? :sweat_smile:
  • Top of the line maybe in terms of pricing? I could make an IEM that costs $300 to manufacture, something that took me 15 days - 1 month to do and price it at $5000. I could claim it has rare materials, took 2 years of R&D and needed special tooling to make in my marketing material to activate my loyal supporters who'd defend me any time anyone questioned my research. A sale of 1 unit per month could not only pay my rent but afford me a very comfortable lifestyle in a country of smaller economy. But would you be convinced it to be true TOTL if it pushed no boundaries?
  • Or is it you referring to something to be at the top, the epitome, in its field or at least in certain aspects in its field?
As an audio engineer, I'm more inclined to value advancements in audio in terms of science, engineering and tech than just my personal subjective liking, which could very well be satisfied by a cheaper IEM if I didn't have the means to go above. It's also a battle I fight as a reviewer who prefers to review very neutrally for a wider audience than just audio engineers/scientists or people aligning with very specific personal preferences.

When I personally think of TOTL, it has more to do with something that is/was groundbreaking and pushed the envelope of what's possible in its field or at least in certain areas of its field. One that did something so great that everyone learned from it and made it a benchmark for product development or as a reference in comparisons.

Let me give you a few examples. It's easier to talk about this with headphones, as ground breaking headphone engineering bloomed quite a few years before IEM engineering did - which even though more recent in the larger picture has managed to surpass headphone engineering in terms of ability to fine tune a signature to the last bit - something headphone engineering has been struggling with for decades. Haha :sweat_smile:
  • Sennheiser HD600 - It was the HD600 that first defined what proper neutral headphone tuning could be at a time when most headphones were dam wonky. It was tuned to a slightly sloped flat speaker response and was groundbreaking for its time, a proper TOTL that pushed the boundaries of headphone engineering. It was considered fairly expensive at its time but is quite cheap now. It's not TOTL in terms of price or performance anymore but still one of the go to headphones when anyone asks for reference tuning, so good that it's still a high seller after so many years, even with so many good headphones launched since. A TOTL that lasted the test of time.

• Sennheiser HD800/HD800S - After HD600, HD800 defined how headphones could actually do a decent soundstage, something most headphones lacked, even the HD600. They were tuned to a bright Diffuse Field kind of sound, one that didn't hit it perfectly and needed a bit of EQ to perfect; to tame the brightness and sound more accurate, but it was its technical performance that defined what was possible in terms of a headphone's technical performance at that time. Not many headphones still can do HD800/HD800S level of technical performance, especially soundstage and separation. Ground breaking for sure. The attractive design and one of the most comfortable fits were a massive add on.

• Meze Elite - A headphone that I can call one of the TOTLs of today's time in terms of technical performance and fit. It's a headphone that has a coloured tuning, quite a nice one at that, but it's the technical performance again that is highly impressive - especially its grandness of sound, big soundstage for a headphone, left to right separation and space between every panned instrument. I of course EQ it to a neutral response and with that its technical performance shines even more and it becomes an even better headphone for my use case. This is again a headphone that has one of the most attractive designs, an even more comfortable fit, and is able to come closer to the speakers in a room kind of sound, more than most other headphones have. *Heads up - Review incoming!*

• Sennheiser HE1 - A full desktop system that could make you cry with its sound as well as price tag. If anyone hasn't heard about it, just google it and you'll see videos of grown men crying. Lol! This is a TOTL not only in terms of impeccable audio advancement a company has been able to achieve, be in hardware engineering, tonality or technical performance, but also in terms of pricing. I don't know of any other headphone that comes close to its level of performance or price tag.
When it comes to IEMs, I'm sure everyone knows that there are a lot of extremely well-tuned IEMs even below the sub-$100 mark but it's the good technical performance that one needs to go quite a bit up in the ladder to achieve. Still, I'll state 2 IEMs that were groundbreaking for their time, one fairly well priced and a reference benchmark and the other a proper TOTL of its time that pushed boundaries and changed the scene, and funnily is still one of the highest sellers in the higher end market, something that has stood the test of time. No points for guessing - it's the Etymotic ER4 (SR) and 64 Audio U12t. ER4SR did a proper slightly sloped flat response speaker kind of reference tuning when other IEM manufacturers were tuning IEMs that needed you take out your flashlight and go looking for the upper-mids and treble that were lost in the jungle (looking at you Westone). Then there was the U12t that was quite groundbreaking when it was launched because it defined a balanced, sub-bass boosted reference-ish tuning and the kind of technical performance that could be achieved in an IEM, especially left to right separation and a roomy soundstage, when most other flagship IEMs were being tuned wonky AF left, right and centre! U12t is not a TOTL anymore in most aspects but still an IEM that is one of the easiest to recommend to new entrants in the higher end segment.

Besides these, I try to avoid making lists or ranking lists of my personal favourite IEMs because I don't want to be seen as hyping stuff I've tried or reviewed as a reviewer and also because my top 5 list is always changing like crazy depending on what I get to use in the crazy chaos between production/recording work and doing the reviews in my free time. Also, a lot of my favourite IEMs are in the sub-$3k range, very few in the $3k+ range. I'm also not limited to IEMs as I have a production room in my house and I actually use my studio monitors and headphones a lot of the time due to the nature of my work. It's always a mix but I do most of the casual listening on speakers and use Headphones and IEMs generally for intense, sitting on a comfortable couch, discovering new music kinda listening sessions. :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #68,162 of 87,742
You know that feeling when you listen to music and get that warm fuzzy feeling of just bliss?

Rocking that RN6 right now with a smirk and some slight head bops.

Yeah, feeling that right now and needed to express it in words here.

-Frank

Oct 24, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #68,163 of 87,742
You know that feeling when you listen to music and get that warm fuzzy feeling of just bliss?

Rocking that RN6 right now with a smirk and some slight head bops.

Yeah, feeling that right now and needed to express it in words here.

Going to grab the Rn6 right now. Which track???

Oct 24, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #68,164 of 87,742
Going to grab the Rn6 right now. Which track???
Hera Radio Edit - Space Motion

For me though, I still do think Jewel is the better all rounder, but that RN6 bass... whoa/wow.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #68,166 of 87,742
I "HATE" the first snowfall of the season. It always seems so foreboding. :upside_down::upside_down::thermometer_face::astonished:
DSC00391.JPG
DSC00392.JPG
DSC00393.JPG

Oct 24, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #68,167 of 87,742
Hera Radio Edit - Space Motion

Enjoy! Wow what an active thread, real time responses and all, sick.

:smile: You caught me at a good moment too, was listening to an oldie (Ubar Tmar) so it made for a good transition!

Oct 24, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #68,168 of 87,742
Jewel vs annihilator 2021 … any thoughts? 💭 🤔

Oct 24, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #68,170 of 87,742
You asked for thoughts: yep, just forget Jewel in favor of Anni 🤷🏻‍♂️.
I love my annihilator, but sometimes wonder if the jewel is another level up either one would be my reference due to their more balanced signature compared to other sets that I have .Kind of curious what their stand out differences are

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #68,171 of 87,742
I love seeing IE900 appear so much in the sub $1,500 lists - it’s arguably the one I’d choose if a gun to head situation arose where I had to walk away with one IEM 😬 A special place in my collection, and my first review on Head-Fi back in May 2021. A set I still reach for on a regular BASSis.
Missed opportunity!
Agreed, it's such a special IEM, and the only one so far that I re-bought after selling my first. Taking a leaf out of your book, I won't make that mistake again!

One of the easiest listening IEMs in my collection, with one of if not the most satisfying bass performance of any IEM I own at any price, with super natural female vocals and detailed, sparkly but also smooth treble to my ears (oh how I love the 6KHz scoop).

I've just paired them with Coreir tips, which visually look and feel like an extension of the IEM shells, and look forward to hearing what these bring sonically to the pairing (they're super comfy, as I'd expect from the most comfortable IEM I've ever used, custom or otherwise).
I gotta grab my pair and take it to work since my Coreir will be delivered tomorrow, thanks for the heads up. I almost gave up on them since they are so overpriced in every retailer I checked, but turns out a random non-audiophile shop stocks them locally, for whatever reason.
These days, I always just rock my Airpods. The convenience factor is too great. I only take my wired IEMs out if I plan to stay in one place for a bit of time, like a coffee shop for a few hours, or a long car ride, or a flight, etc.
It took me a while to realise I spend all this time conjuring my mobile chain and trying to perfect it and then prefer to pull out my TWS anyway while on the move :dt880smile:. Lately, I switched to U12t + Xperia 1 IV for when I sit in the park and + Mojo2/RS2 combo for that sweet nigh-infinite battery life while at work.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #68,172 of 87,742
Th Spirit Torino TWIN PULSE BERYLLIUM IEMs are in the house and they sound quite good!

Pretty awesome bass punch, damn-fast beryllium drivers, proper macro dynamics, good body to mids, but warm overall and lacking the last bit of treble extension.

Vocals are near-spectacular but lacking the last bit of breathiness and air when the track calls for it.

Resolution is satisfactory for the price and am quite impressed with how it portrays stage depth.

The ear guides need to be bent into a particular shape to get a good fit and once you do, its quite comfortable.

Overall, as far as first impressions go, the twin pulse is a strong contender in the ~$1000 space.

A lot of fun with rock and metal on my Sony WM1ZM2. Other than drums and voice, lead guitars sound pretty lifelike as well while rythm guitars sound heavy and corporeal.

And accessorization and presentation pretty top-notch as well.

IMG_5216.jpeg

IMG_5213.jpeg

IMG_5211.jpeg

IMG_5204.jpeg

IMG_5200.jpeg

IMG_5217.jpeg

The cleaning tool is also rather formidable.

IMG_5203.jpeg
As a man who shares some Italian 🇮🇹 decent this makes me so proud to see. I’d absolutely love to try these and the design looks quite unique. Thank you for this.

Oct 24, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #68,175 of 87,742
my top3
1-monarch mkii/mkiii
2-hyla te5-B
3-Thieaudio V16 Divinity
I always wanted an a TE5-B, unfortunately I didn’t find a seller that ship to EU 🥲
Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back