The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 20, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #64,802 of 91,358
Maybe its the song then? 😋

Im not saying you did not hear correctly.
But there are few IEM’s kicking as hard as the Trifecta in my experience.

I think the recent bass poll also seems to indicate that.

My test track for impact/dynamics/kick is 'Poem of the Chinese Drum' by Hok-man Yim. A thundering track with bass drums.

I used this to try to bring out its strengths and didn't hear anything to write home about. That's OK though, maybe the unit was a dud, maybe I have high expectations, maybe the tips didn't seal, maybe I need to listen again. Clearly there is a following for the Trifecta. Regardless, I'm not sure I could bring myself to part with the cash, it felt quite cheap in the hand for £3k.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #64,804 of 91,358
Soranik Basilica

6 drivers configuration: 1 DD, 1 Magnetostatic, 1 Open driver and 3 BAs.

The Basilica is for now Soranik's flagship. It costs 1.500$. There's also a real wood version which retails by around 2.600$. Build quality is impeccable and fit is excellent as expected from a proper build CIEM.

The Basilica is very sensitive to sources and cables. It's not a warm set but it's punchy. Neutral sound signature with bass boost. The presentation is energetic with very good dynamics. Bass texture is pretty good too. Treble is spicy but not fatiguing. It seems to be a versatile set too. However, the most impressive feature for me are the soundstage and imaging. Really great and very accurate, like a cinematic experience. I was told the wood version is even better.

For me best the pairings have been the Mojo2 and the 475. Not so impressed with MAX, sounds a bit lean and brighter. I'm really enjoying the Basilica. A fantastic set that definitely punches above it's weight.

Hieu, Soranik's founder, is great to deal with and he's not afraid of embracing new technologies. I'm so happy with them that decided to place an order of theirs MEMS IEMs. The MEMS-2 (1x xMEMS microspeaker, 1x USOUND microspeaker) and MEMS-3 (1x xMEMS microspeaker, 1x USOUND microspeaker, 2 BAs).

1000011700.jpg
1000011699.jpg
1000011698.jpg
1000011697.jpg
1000011696.jpg
1000011695.jpg

Fascinated by these, new tech going on here.

Sep 20, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #64,805 of 91,358
My test track for impact/dynamics/kick is 'Poem of the Chinese Drum' by Hok-man Yim. A thundering track with bass drums.

I used this to try to bring out its strengths and didn't hear anything to write home about. That's OK though, maybe the unit was a dud, maybe I have high expectations, maybe the tips didn't seal, maybe I need to listen again. Clearly there is a following for the Trifecta. Regardless, I'm not sure I could bring myself to part with the cash, it felt quite cheap in the hand for £3k.

Going to listen to this tomorrow 😄, now time to go to bed. Thanks for sharing

Sep 20, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #64,806 of 91,358

You and I have similar music tastes from what I’ve come to realize with our love of the APWS and I will check this track on trifecta asap.
The trifecta is a polarizing iem and one that needs some time, much like the XE6 was for me and many. It is source, and tip picky as well as library as has been noted. It excels with power much like most DD’s. If you can get a few days with it rather than a showroom demo will really help. I would love to know how it sounds with Defiant. I love Trifecta and have it now for the second time as I stupidly traded it and now that I have it back, will not be going anywhere. It’s one of the most unique sounds in the hobby to me, of course YMMV. As far as the cheap feeling…I thought this at first as well BUT it is incredibly comfortable and I can wear it for hour upon hours unlike most iems I’ve tried. I do think they chose the nylon shell for a purpose and feel it’s a well made piece of gear. I believe this is an iem that will hold its own for years to come because even people that hate it still talk about it. 🤙🏼

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #64,807 of 91,358
I'm not very good in timbre judgement, but well, it sounds very natural to me. Especially that we have much more DD goodness here than with Erlkonig. It seems like a neutrally V-shaped, open-back Erlkonig with more DD timbre. I think DD goes up at least up to 1 kHz. And the upper mids are very neutral. Highs I do love too.

Soundstage is huge. I am not doing A/B comparisons with Jewel etc. - this is not a contest of who is better to me. It seemed large from the first minutes of listening, contrary to the mini-review posted by Tfenton02 before.

The only thing I'm missing after several hours of listening is a bit more of middle mids (again, this is more V-shaped than neutral, and I prefer neutral). They are a bit sucked out, but again, it's the same story with RN6 and no one seems to notice :wink:
Have you ever heard the Camelot? I haven't unfortunately, but it intrigues me. And sounds like it might be up your alley: neutral with focus on clarity + DD goodness.

Sep 20, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #64,808 of 91,358
I agree...they can be...with the 'wrong' type of music. If Trifecta doesn't click with your library, you won't click with Trifecta. It's divisive for a reason. Love/hate. And yes, YMMV indeed.

PS. Earlier today I was trying to play some music that Trifecta was making unlistenable. When that happens, switch music or switch IEM. Forcing the wrong music on Trifecta is a battle you won't win.
Could you give some examples of unlistenable tracks with Trifecta?

Sep 20, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #64,809 of 91,358
Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #64,812 of 91,358
If I'm considering both the Kiwi Ears Cadenza and the TinHifi P1 Max, which do you guys think I should go for first? I'm tempted by the P1 Max because it'll be my first planar of any kind, but at the same time since I probably intend to get both eventually, maybe the Cadenza would be the safer first buy so it doesn't feel like a downgrade after the P1 Max. What do you guys think?

Sep 20, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #64,813 of 91,358
If I'm considering both the Kiwi Ears Cadenza and the TinHifi P1 Max, which do you guys think I should go for first? I'm tempted by the P1 Max because it'll be my first planar of any kind, but at the same time since I probably intend to get both eventually, maybe the Cadenza would be the safer first buy so it doesn't feel like a downgrade after the P1 Max. What do you guys think?
You can't go wrong with Cadenza. Punches way above its price point. :beerchug:

Sep 20, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #64,814 of 91,358
Vouch for Cadenza.
Crin Zero Red also good to look at as next step up from Cadenza, followed by Dunu Kima/Simgot EM6L after that.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #64,815 of 91,358
When it comes to this thread, communicate what characteristics, signature you're considering, IEM pairing and especially budget.

Personally, I don't find it constructive to recommend $2K+ cables – unless you expressly communicate that you're aiming for flagship – when there are value, quality and capable options under $300USD and less than $1000USD.
Makes sense, its just that personally I'm also not sure what I want at this point, so I kinda just wanted to test out a few and see what fits me better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back