The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 19, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #63,241 of 90,559
Yo Fam! Been a minute since I have posted anything valuable. My family was in town and I have been laying low and haven’t had a hell of a lot of time to listen to anything.

But while I have been fairly quiet here, I have had some gear come across my desk. Here are a few Hot Takes. :)

IMG_8460.jpeg
FatFreq Maestro SE

MSE has terrific bass extension and addicting rumble and slam, eerily similar to Singularity’s bass response. MSE is a bit more sub bass focused and sweeps clean into the mid with minimal bloat. Technicals i.e. layering, imaging, detail, etc are impressive for being bass head levels. My only caveat is the recessed and lightweight mids. Treble is resolving although a bit peaky every now and then. Soundstage is average. YMMV

IMG_8386.jpeg
Kinera Loki

HUGE and reverberating BASS but can be too much with the BCD taking precedence with the bass response. decaying too slowly or reverbs hanging around bleeding and bloating the lower mids suffocating male vocals at times. Neutral mids with thinnish vocals. Treble is non sibilant. Soundstage is pretty narrow, layering is decent with imaging being a bit better than both. Over-all bored me after a few days. YMMV

IMG_8461.jpeg
Dita Perpetua

One of the flattest tunings I have ever heard. Neutral across the board with a bit of an 8K peak giving mid treble instruments enough bite to rise above. The bass is of the highest quality to my ears and is layered with good slam when called on. The mids are natural and open. One of the widest soundstages of any single DD ever. Treble is rolled off but in a smooth manner, retaining sparkle and some air. A really wonderful all-rounder for my library with an easy listening signature. Perpetua scales with a good source and prime amplification. Perpetua sound signature reminds me of a Earbud in iem form. Resolution could be better especially in the treble but I am not complaining. I am a fan! YMMV

IMG_8463.jpeg
NightJar Audio Singularity

Great bass foundation with slam and sub bass extension. Treble details are surprisingly well done while having such an extreme bass shelf however it does not evade grain. Grain is present…well, quite often, as well as bass bloat. Mids are fairly neutral while sounding fairly accurate with nice and sweet upper mid gain. Soundstage is very avergae to my ears, with layering lacking and imaging being very average with grainy detail. While a fun iem, I would opt for Trifecta if going in this direction and if budget allows. YMMV

IMG_8462.jpeg
I have also just received an ALO Audio Continental Dual Mono (CDM) and once I have had ample listening time and to compare to my Aroma a100tb, I will post impressions.

On my Radar: Mass Kobo 475

EarBuds I have recently received but not listened enough to give any weighted impressions.

Venture Electronics Zen SL, APWS Earbuds

Rikibuds Alter Rider 3 earbuds

TGX Ear Sunniva, Desolation Sound (DS) Earbuds
Great to see the Perpetua get more love.

Easily the best single DD available in the market, as far as I am concerned.

Aug 19, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #63,242 of 90,559
Aug 19, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #63,243 of 90,559

It’s really criminal that Perpetua is not popular among the audiophile circles. I have a theory why this is the case. It doesn’t have an immediate wow factor. My father preferred ie600 to it in a quick A/B. But after a while I had to pull it out of his ears lol. It’s a slow burn after 15-20 min when one gets used to the signature it really shows what a gem it is. With a good quality silver cable it sound scary real. Goosebumps guaranteed!

Aug 19, 2023 at 1:43 AM Post #63,244 of 90,559
I thought Canadian wildfires were limited to the East coast! Welcome to California life...fire season is real.
Yeah but we’re dealing with something different this season. Hurricanes. I’d never thought that I’d have to deal with a hurricane in California but here we are. Crazy times.

Aug 19, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #63,245 of 90,559
Yo Fam! Been a minute since I have posted anything valuable. My family was in town and I have been laying low and haven’t had a hell of a lot of time to listen to anything.

But while I have been fairly quiet here, I have had some gear come across my desk. Here are a few Hot Takes. :)

IMG_8460.jpeg
FatFreq Maestro SE

MSE has terrific bass extension and addicting rumble and slam, eerily similar to Singularity’s bass response. MSE is a bit more sub bass focused and sweeps clean into the mid with minimal bloat. Technicals i.e. layering, imaging, detail, etc are impressive for being bass head levels. My only caveat is the recessed and lightweight mids. Treble is resolving although a bit peaky every now and then. Soundstage is average. YMMV

IMG_8386.jpeg
Kinera Loki

HUGE and reverberating BASS but can be too much with the BCD taking precedence with the bass response. decaying too slowly or reverbs hanging around bleeding and bloating the lower mids suffocating male vocals at times. Neutral mids with thinnish vocals. Treble is non sibilant. Soundstage is pretty narrow, layering is decent with imaging being a bit better than both. Over-all bored me after a few days. YMMV

IMG_8461.jpeg
Dita Perpetua

One of the flattest tunings I have ever heard. Neutral across the board with a bit of an 8K peak giving mid treble instruments enough bite to rise above. The bass is of the highest quality to my ears and is layered with good slam when called on. The mids are natural and open. One of the widest soundstages of any single DD ever. Treble is rolled off but in a smooth manner, retaining sparkle and some air. A really wonderful all-rounder for my library with an easy listening signature. Perpetua scales with a good source and prime amplification. Perpetua sound signature reminds me of a Earbud in iem form. Resolution could be better especially in the treble but I am not complaining. I am a fan! YMMV

IMG_8463.jpeg

Great bass foundation with slam and sub bass extension. Treble details are surprisingly well done while having such an extreme bass shelf however it does not evade grain. Grain is present…well, quite often, as well as bass bloat. Mids are fairly neutral while sounding fairly accurate with nice and sweet upper mid gain. Soundstage is very avergae to my ears, with layering lacking and imaging being very average with grainy detail. While a fun iem, I would opt for Trifecta if going in this direction and if budget allows. YMMV

IMG_8462.jpeg
I have also just received an ALO Audio Continental Dual Mono (CDM) and once I have had ample listening time and to compare to my Aroma a100tb, I will post impressions.

On my Radar: Mass Kobo 475

EarBuds I have recently received but not listened enough to give any weighted impressions.

Venture Electronics Zen SL, APWS Earbuds

Rikibuds Alter Rider 3 earbuds

TGX Ear Sunniva, Desolation Sound (DS) Earbuds

Thanks for all the feedback and great mini write-ups! Glad to have you back.

I love my Dita PPT, and its high-quality stock cable. I tried it with celeste and I think the stock is just as good as the upgraded cable. Amazing photos btw.

One of my main regret is having the chance to buy the ALO CDM for about 699 AUD (their limited edition) and I didn't

Yes, very happy to see the DITA getting more talk. I tried it in Singapore and wished they were willing to give the American market more of a chance. They seem to only have interest in SEA now.

Aug 19, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #63,246 of 90,559
Raging fires across the lake from where I’m staying right now. Nobody injured so far, but. many evacuated.

15C222A2-CD06-4D76-9F76-0A57303B4374.jpeg
‘Looks terrifying, Jeff. ‘Hope you’re staying safe. 🙏

I’m guessing the Dio will cost as much as Trailii. The prototype was good, but it didn’t blow me away in SG.
Lee said it’ll be at least $5-6K, so it’ll be pricier than Trailli, IIRC.

Would you guys say that eletech in general are more popular as cable makers or effect audio?

I ask for the reason of back when I was getting into IEMs I saw effect audio cables much more often than electech, and then lately I see a lot more of the OTL impressions etc.

I was always a fan of PW myself but am looking to explore other cable makers in near future.
I think Effect are still more popular overall, but their exposure has kinda stagnated. Whereas, Eletech’s still growing there. The aesthetist in me prefers the latter’s hardware, but both brands have their own pros for sure.

It’s really criminal that Perpetua is not popular among the audiophile circles. I have a theory why this is the case. It doesn’t have an immediate wow factor. My father preferred ie600 to it in a quick A/B. But after a while I had to pull it out of his ears lol. It’s a slow burn after 15-20 min when one gets used to the signature it really shows what a gem it is. With a good quality silver cable it sound scary real. Goosebumps guaranteed!
I think the Perpetua isn’t popular because it’s an impossible IEM to demo. You have to catch DITA at a show or locate one of the five or so demos worldwide to even have a go at the thing. It’s the same as their Dream XLS, which had extremely limited demos and very limited stock every few months. Whether that exclusivity is intentional or not, it’s an instant killer to any sort of momentum or exposure.

Aug 19, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #63,247 of 90,559
I think the Perpetua isn’t popular because it’s an impossible IEM to demo. You have to catch DITA at a show or locate one of the five or so demos worldwide to even have a go at the thing. It’s the same as their Dream XLS, which had extremely limited demos and very limited stock every few months. Whether that exclusivity is intentional or not, it’s an instant killer to any sort of momentum or exposure.
it is also pretty expensive for what it is....regardless of how good it is, buying a $3k single DD is a hurdle - especially if one has to consider buying blind.

Aug 19, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #63,248 of 90,559
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/rebooting-brain-helps-stop-ring-tinnitus-rats

Man, if they can get this right and make it available here in Germany. This would change my life...

Part of why I enjoy the KSE-1200 so much is because of the massive spike at 9khz. In many recordings, this emphasizes a white noise (probably from analogue recording) that alleviates me from the constant ringing I hear.
I had to change my EQ profile to only reduce this spike by a minimal amount.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #63,249 of 90,559
it is also pretty expensive for what it is....regardless of how good it is, buying a $3k single DD is a hurdle - especially if one has to consider buying blind.
I absolutely agree. Funny though because I actually bought it blind and while it was on the way, I got the opportunity to try out @Sajid Amit ’s unit. Sounded a bit dull (due to the cable) but still very pleasing. All in all money well spent. I strongly recommend, someone who gets a chance to audition it, spending time with Perpetua.

Aug 19, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #63,250 of 90,559
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/rebooting-brain-helps-stop-ring-tinnitus-rats

Man, if they can get this right and make it available here in Germany. This would change my life...

Part of why I enjoy the KSE-1200 so much is because of the massive spike at 9khz. In many recordings, this emphasizes a white noises that alleviates me from the constant ringing I hear.
Hey! Nice to see another KSE-1200 lover. Many find that too bright but I didn’t. On white, blue and violet noise I hear that 8khz ringing with Perpetua as well. But a tip change mitigated it by a significant margin.
IMG_1161.jpeg

This is a FiiO HS9 tip and the cable is Lavricables Grand with Rhodium plating on both the connector and the termination.

Aug 19, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #63,251 of 90,559
Raging fires across the lake from where I’m staying right now. Nobody injured so far, but. many evacuated.

Stay safe 🙏. Prayers also go out to others as well affected in NWT / Kelowna / Hawaii.

FatFreq Maestro SE

Kinera Loki

Dita Perpetua

Great impressions Jeremy! I felt similarly about MSE / Singularity. You and @Sajid Amit made me curious to hear Perpetua. It seems like a "slow burn" like Blanc or GT600 that takes a longer demo to appreciate.

I love my Dita PPT, and its high-quality stock cable. I tried it with celeste and I think the stock is just as good as the upgraded cable. Amazing photos btw.

One of my main regret is having the chance to buy the ALO CDM for about 699 AUD (their limited edition) and I didn't

Interested in hearing impressions. With Tsuranagi being rotated out, looking at possibly another amp (real tubes?). Curious about this one the most at the moment but it has a long wait time of 3 months:

Analog Squared Paper: TU-05mk2

Hearing that it's a better WA8.
01 (1).jpg

Stock config​

Screenshot_20230815-034719_Facebook.jpg

Configured in different colours and carrying case:

Screenshot_20230819-001244_Gallery.jpg

I am guessing the pockets are there to house the dap 👀

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230819-001244_Gallery.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #63,252 of 90,559
I’m on the train to London now. Destination Canjam 👍

Aug 19, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #63,253 of 90,559
Stay safe 🙏. Prayers also go out to others as well affected in NWT / Kelowna / Hawaii.

Great impressions Jeremy! I felt similarly about MSE / Singularity. You and @Sajid Amit made me curious to hear Perpetua. It seems like a "slow burn" like Blanc or GT600 that takes a longer demo to appreciate.

Interested in hearing impressions. With Tsuranagi being rotated out, looking at possibly another amp (real tubes?). Curious about this one the most at the moment but it has a long wait time of 3 months:

Analog Squared Paper: TU-05mk2

Hearing that it's a better WA8.
01 (1).jpg
Stock config​

Screenshot_20230815-034719_Facebook.jpg
Configured in different colours and carrying case:

I am guessing the pockets are there to house the dap 👀
The ASP is really good. It pairs excellently with single DDs. One of my favourite audio memories was pairing the amp with an Acoustune 16xx series iem. Expanded the soundstage like crazy. The amp is pretty prone to noise though. When adjusting the knob/volume you can hear feedback in the IEM

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Aug 19, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #63,254 of 90,559

Part of why I enjoy the KSE-1200 so much is because of the massive spike at 9khz. In many recordings, this emphasizes a white noise (probably from analogue recording) that alleviates me from the constant ringing I hear.
Do you use then KSE1200 with Shure foam tips?

Aug 19, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #63,255 of 90,559
Hallo fellow coolers, Just back from a short trip to Sri Lanka who is still feeling weary from covid, economic and political crises. But not many other places that are so laid back with train doors kept open to enjoy the view, and where turtles happily swim up to entertain the tourists.

Relieving RS8 from main DAP duties was SR35 which performed admirably. The size, weight, battery life, performance and ability to hang out the back of a train with, make it such a pleasure to own. Hope you enjoy the pics....

20230811_172240.jpg
20230811_172257.jpg

20230807_130149.jpg
20230807_125657.jpg
20230806_143634.jpg

Madoo Typ821 also arrived and burning in now. This is a 'push pull' single planar iem from Acoustune's more experimental brand. First impressions : fast, excellent timbre, lush/full sounding, crisp & clear mids and highs without sibilance / shouting. Bass is present, but not as impressive as madoo's Typ512 since the FR is more balanced. Instrument separation / resolution is excellent. Very happy with them so far !

20230819_151418.jpg

Have a great weekend !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back