The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 21, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #61,712 of 91,365
Some changes for me in July ...... playing between Go Blu, Go Pod and NW-WM1A (Nayparm Mod) all LDAC connected to my Galaxy Z Fold4

1. IER-M9
2. Kiwi Ears Quintet
3. on par XBA-N3 & HA-FW1800

20230721_093216 copie.jpg

So, I think in August there should be some little changes in my signature..

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 5:24 AM Post #61,713 of 91,365
It just dawned me that we have not yet done our seasonal Top 3 IEMs owning your heart at this moment, so without futher ado:

1) Singularity
2) Rn6
3) Trifecta
Last year I left the IEM game and went all-in on my Susvara chain. But since I've been longing for a mobile set-up again, here's a list of IEM's I would happily receive as a gift for my next birthday:
1) AK x VE AURA.
2) Trifecta.
3) RN6.

Jul 21, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #61,714 of 91,365
1. Mentor
2. -
3. -
Good choice! 🕺

1) Grand Maestro for home use/my TOTL set
2) MSE for the gym

No plans to add a third IEM for the foreseeable future

Impressive, especially with your history. You seem to have found your personal greatest of all time!

1. FatFreq Grand Maestro
2. Subtonic Storm
3. UM Multiverse Mentor

I think price/performance ratio for you is stellar with the GM. How about the Storm and Mentor?

What does Storm do better than Mentor? Are they very different?

Jul 21, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #61,716 of 91,365
Good choice! 🕺

Impressive, especially with your history. You seem to have found your personal greatest of all time!

Yes for my tastes the GM it is an unbelievably good set, it’s very nicely dampened my want for anything. I’ll be sitting on the sidelines now as far as IEMs go until next year/Elysian Dio.

Jul 21, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #61,718 of 91,365
Today I received the loaner sample for SP3000ss, thank you AK for your trust. I feel so privileged for such trust. I will be putting the SP3000 against N8ii, RS8, LP6G and P6p, and at the end, I'll keep the winner and leave this hobby for a long while.
I'm not anyone important, nor I think what ive to offer can be a substitute to ones own ear. But somehow, for the last 18 years in this hobby, I managed to come across passionate brands and individuals who see the crazy in me and somehow get it.

So yes, I can't to put SP3000 against my other daps, as I said else where, I hate them all equally for costing so much, but I'm so thankful for this feeling as deep inside I know how much musical joy those daps have brought me.

AK120 was the first over 1K dap I bought, I still have and use it. I just didn't want to leave this hobby without listening to AK offering.

Let the games begin!

Attachments

• 20230721_211356.jpg
    20230721_211356.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Jul 21, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #61,719 of 91,365
IMR BC 2023 - The Bass Cannon from UK

Had this set for 5 months, lots of frustration in the start. Ended up with being one of my favourites, talk about turn around.
That's why I wanted to give it a full review, it is a energetic and visceral sounding set.
Bass to die for, mids and treble also being great. And soundstage being at highest level.

Please read if it is of interest, cheers.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/imr-bc-2023-dual-dynamic-driver-iem.26426/review/31297/

Jul 21, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #61,720 of 91,365
I think price/performance ratio for you is stellar with the GM. How about the Storm and Mentor?

What does Storm do better than Mentor? Are they very different?
Hard to pick which one I prefer between those two if I’m completely honest. I think they’re both on a similar level for technical performance albeit with their own pros and cons. Mentor’s stage is more immersive and holographic but Storm has superior dynamics and detail retrieval.

Storms bass quality is quite a bit better than Mentors imho and has much more sub bass which I personally prefer to Mentors mid bass focused tuning. I prefer Mentors midrange being a bit warmer and lusher whereas Storms is leaner, but I’d say Storm’s mids are better balanced between lower and upper, so they sound more accurate. Treble is a toss-up, I like both their treble tunings although they both can sound a little spicy depending on what source they’re paired with.

Which one I prefer will really depend on the day and what mood I’m in. I think you can’t really go wrong with either unless you’re someone that really needs DD bass or you just don’t gel with their tuning signature.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #61,721 of 91,365
Google: “

XINHS HIFI 4 Strand Single Crystal Copper Gold Plated Replacement Headphone Wire MMCX 2 Pin Audio Upgrade Cable”​

Thanks! Found it!
I get your point about different sound signature but how can impedance of TT2 affect jewel or mentor iem negatively because output impedance of 0.04 ohm of TT2 is lower than 1.8 ohm in 4,4 on SP3k. So sensitive TOTL IEMS should sound even better on TT2, no? Do i miss something?
I didn't mean the TT2 specifically. I was just speaking of desktop components made for full-sized cans comapared to DAP made for IEMs in general. Sorry for the confusion. You are bullet-proof in that arena with your TT2!

Jul 21, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #61,722 of 91,365
I was a big fan of the ADI in the beginning, in fact, I was one of the first owners of the ADI-2 Pro S/E. But then I wasn't happy with it at all in terms of sound quality. First of all, the cheap ADI-2 and the most expensive ADI-2 Pro S/E have exactly the same sound quality. On the other hand, for me personally, the CA1000T was noticeably better in this regard. I won't even start with the SP3000.
I found this, too. Another place where totl measurements and being "pro" quality ended up not convincing me musically. In fact, almost never in my long history with 2-channel and HPs and now IEMs have I have found "pro" equipment that I preferred sound-wise. Just my $.02...

Jul 21, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #61,723 of 91,365
Please don't distribute non-sense. Thanks!

Top 3 IEMs:
  1. Traillii
  2. Ragnar
  3. Cadenza
One man's nonsense is another man's truth! I won't bore you with the endless A/B testing we used to do with connectors on interconnects in the high-end two-channel groups I used to be part of. A connector is a component in the chain and we found 100% each had its own sound signature. You can explain it how you will, but those were the results... Even Effect Audio admits there is a slight hit to SQ with their ConX and TermX connectors versus hard-wired...

Jul 21, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #61,725 of 91,365
I found this, too. Another place where totl measurements and being "pro" quality ended up not convincing me musically. In fact, almost never in my long history with 2-channel and HPs and now IEMs have I have found "pro" equipment that I preferred sound-wise. Just my $.02...
Is that your opinion on Nimbus and Violectric DAC/AMP combos as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back