The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jun 6, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #59,731 of 88,460
Is it really an extra $999 on top of the $3500 to get a charger?

Again, I found the presentation very impressive. Just obviously it was highly highly produced and all for a product that clearly isnt actually ready to be released yet. I remain extremely skeptical about whether its actually going to revolutionize this market, especially at that price point. Though I know some apple fanatics will of course eat it up. But if apple is able to do with this market what they have done with others, great.

I also found the projected eyes on the front a bit creepy and definitely setting off that whole uncanny valley feeling.
I think the tech is interesting but I don't understand the use case so far. For me it seems like a 3500$ media device with 2h of battery time. Even if it were the best thing since sliced bread I don't think it will get enough use for the price and with those restrictions.

At home you could attach a cable to the battery that is then connected to your headset but would you really use a headset to watch Youtube or TV at home? Maybe if there is enough VR content the use cases evolve but for now it seems like a flashy show piece.

If price were no issue I'm fairly sure that the other VR manufacturers could create something similar and could have for years. I don't think there is a real mass market for such a device beyond 500-600$ though. At least on scale.

Jun 6, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #59,732 of 88,460
I think the tech is interesting but I don't understand the use case so far. For me it seems like a 3500$ media device with 2h of battery time. Even if it were the best thing since sliced bread I don't think it will get enough use for the price and with those restrictions.

At home you could attach a cable to the battery that is then connected to your headset but would you really use a headset to watch Youtube or TV at home? Maybe if there is enough VR content the use cases evolve but for now it seems like a flashy show piece.

If price were no issue I'm fairly sure that the other VR manufacturers could create something similar and could have for years. I don't think there is a real mass market for such a device beyond 500-600$ though. At least on scale.
This thing is meant to replace a computer. The first gen apple products are almost always more of a developer kit and a beta test for the actual product, which will most likely come out in 2-3 years and cost a good chunk less. Standard scummy Apple practice. Honestly with all the hard- and software that is in this thing + research and development for it, I would have expected Apple to sell this for 5k. There is nothing else even remotely like this on the market right now. I won't buy it, but people on this forum here pay 3k and up for an IEM cable...

I cannot for the life of me understand why people here would think this is overpriced :D

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #59,734 of 88,460
This thing is meant to replace a computer. The first gen apple products are almost always more of a developer kit and a beta test for the actual product, which will most likely come out in 2-3 years and cost a good chunk less. Standard scummy Apple practice. Honestly with all the hard- and software that is in this thing + research and development for it, I would have expected Apple to sell this for 5k. There is nothing else even remotely like this on the market right now. I won't buy it, but people on this forum here pay 3k and up for an IEM cable...

I cannot for the life of me understand why people here would think this is overpriced :D
Considering the processor that might make sense but the entire presentation made it seem like a VR iPad. An iPad can't replace a computer for me so how would this thing. Not to mention that if it is supposed to be a mobile computer it needs more than 2h battery.

One point that I heard is that the headset is also supposedly quite heavy. So who knows how long you are even able to wear it.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #59,735 of 88,460

If it really works as advertised with all the multiple possible quirks resolved (field of view, motion sickness, eyesight compensation, comfort, brightness, sharpness, colors etc) this will be truly revolutionary.

If it works like that it will create an immersive experience (at home) like sitting in a huge cinema watching a movie on a giant screen and so much more. "If" it works like advertised. I have some doubts, being a prisoner in the Apple universe for 15 years now with iPhone/Mac and 20 years including iPods. I fell numerous times for their advertising (e.g. iPhone camera portrait mode that after many upgrades still doesn't hold a candle versus a cheap camera with a mediocre lens). Still, I wouldn't use a "real" camera as the iPhone is always with me and good enough.

I think it should only be used when you have time on your own and have some spare time. If eventually everybody wears such goggles it gives me shivers like we're in a dystopia.

I guess the headset will be a first gen product that needs to develop. The price is insane but probably not so for the people in this thread who buy 5000$ cables for their 3500$ IEMs :wink:

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #59,736 of 88,460
Apple is always desperately trying to convince people that they can use their ipad as a computer, and most people don't. Meta and Apple both want people to use their VR/AR headsets as computers... most won't. I think the reason is that it's simply more comfortable and convenient to use a mouse, keyboard, and nice fat actual display.

People DO use the Meta Quest 2 as a VR gaming and movie watching device, and it's great as that. In my opinion that's where most of Meta's focus should be in improving and promoting it, and the same goes for this Apple thing... which they kind of seem to understand, based on the focus on film in their promotional video. Movies will look absolutely spectacular, as will VR gaming. As long as they don't get completely hung up on it as a replacement for a PC/ipad, and focus on it for those things, I think it'll be successful in the next iteration or so when the price drops considerably. It could compete well with playstation and a lot of tv netflix subscriptions. Both companies should have as a mantra for these devices: fun, not work. The $1500 Meta Quest Pro failed in part because it was marketed almost solely as a work device.

I do think eventually the AR part will be huge... but not until the tech can be minimized to a pair of glasses, or on contact lenses. No one wants to wear heavy ski goggles all day and be cut off from the world no matter how good the video is... but on a pair of contacts, or bits of AR on clear thin glass, it'll be a different story.

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #59,737 of 88,460
A5000 and ZE8000 (both fantastic) probably get most of my DD time of late, especially in and out to the office etc. Turii Ti for a more relaxed and focused session!

I’ve pre ordered MEST MKIII and Sound Rhyme SR8 on the way - looking forward to both!
I see you liking A5000 as well. Yeah, ive listened to Twilight but i still prefer A5k.

Haven't heard the ZE8000.

DAMN! MEST MKIII must be good!!!!

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #59,738 of 88,460
I guess the headset will be a first gen product that needs to develop. The price is insane but probably not so for the people in this thread who buy 5000$ cables for their 3500$ IEMs :wink:
100%. As much as I love my Orpheus cable, I think I’ll get more value from the Apple headset. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I think the price might be justifiable for movie watching, and for the virtual computer screens alone (right now I often travel with a laptop, portable LCD and iPad so that I can have a three-screen setup when working on the road).

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #59,741 of 88,460
I just want to leave this here for clarification purposes:

https://www.interaction-design.org/...s-the-difference-between-ar-vs-mr-vs-vr-vs-xr

These Apple glasses are more of an AR device, I am pretty sure that VR gaming like on the Quest is not actually possible with these. I might be wrong, but I think these work by providing a see-through projection of micro-OLED screens in front of you, instead of looking at a closed off screen through lenses, like in a VR headset.

Maybe it's some sort of hybrid of these two technologies though.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #59,743 of 88,460
Hoping DHL delivers my First Times today.

Musicteck oversold during the memorial day sale. But Fedex somehow botched the delivery to them by over a week.

Jun 6, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #59,744 of 88,460
What's your current fav best DD? Currently im rocking final A5000 with AEX07 eartips. Micro idsd signature as a source.
MA Eclipse. Hands down. Such a deep, soulful, toe-tapping experience with surprisingly good tonal balance. It's a shame it hasn't gotten more love.

Jun 6, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #59,745 of 88,460

Why is that "scummy?" That's literally the evolutionary cycle of every new product brought to market, including many of our beloved IEMs. I own a first gen Tesla Model S. Thing was niche and crazy expensive back in 2012 - but it blew the market wide open. Now you have $40K Model 3s with better tech sold in huge numbers. Was that scummy of Tesla? If you know you are an early adopter, then you can live with it. But surely you understand why a company would have to do this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back