The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 19, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #56,641 of 88,826
Unofficial Watercooler question:

What are some iems that you are looking to audition or wait for?

For myself: Brise Yatono 8 cable, Empire Ears Raven, Elysian Dio, VE Red prototype (whatever becomes finalized) and the new future Oriolus Flagship.

Strangely enough I’ve not much on my radar at the moment, I’d still love to hear Perpetua and Singularity seems interesting but that’s about it. Oh and much cheaper, but definitely keen to hear Final A5000.

Edit: AüR of course too, I can’t help but be intrigued!

I think that’s it 😜

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 19, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #56,642 of 88,826

For myself: Brise Yatono 8 cable, Empire Ears Raven, Elysian Dio, VE Red prototype (whatever becomes finalized) and the new future Oriolus Flagship.
The 64 Audio U4S

Apr 19, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #56,643 of 88,826
Who will survive? :)

Attachments

• IMG_0149.jpeg
    IMG_0149.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #56,644 of 88,826

Nothing right now, i feel complete..

thanos-last-stone.gif

Apr 19, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #56,645 of 88,826
This one has made it onto my watchlist. Could you please give a few more impressions on the SR8?

Sure thing... I find the SR8 to be highly detailed and resolving, while displaying great power in the lows and mids. It sort of has this duality to it, with great technicalities and layering, and subtlety, yet it is not clinical or thin in the least. Most of the higher priced IEMs I've tried lately have had issues with poor midrange tonality (with the exception of the Trifecta), but that is definitely not the issue with SR8. SR8's mids are wonderfully full and rich, with awesome scale and placement in a 3-D sense. The IEM just has this fluid yet detailed and textured presentation that belies a 14-BA setup. And regarding the low end - it is the first BA presentation I can truly get into and enjoy, having previously been focused mainly on using dynamic drivers for bass.

Apr 19, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #56,646 of 88,826
Sure thing... I find the SR8 to be highly detailed and resolving, while displaying great power in the lows and mids. It sort of has this duality to it, with great technicalities and layering, and subtlety, yet it is not clinical or thin in the least. Most of the higher priced IEMs I've tried lately have had issues with poor midrange tonality (with the exception of the Trifecta), but that is definitely not the issue with SR8. SR8's mids are wonderfully full and rich, with awesome scale and placement in a 3-D sense. The IEM just has this fluid yet detailed and textured presentation that belies a 14-BA setup. And regarding the low end - it is the first BA presentation I can truly get into and enjoy, having previously been focused mainly on using dynamic drivers for bass.

Thanks for that insight. Out of interest, and I know it's early days for you, but how do you find the switch combinations tonally? Are they valuable/well considered choices?

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #56,647 of 88,826
Personally nothing. Out of curiosity/to review:

Trifecta
MSE
Singularity/Duality
Raven
Guy, I am surprised you're not more excited to review Singularity, and compare to the Z1R.
I auditioned the Z1R long time ago, and was not hooked. At least not after a 5-10 minute audition at CanJam. I was immediately hooked on Singularity!
I cannot say I tried all single DD implementations, but Singularity (to my ears) is one of the best (if not THE best) single DD out there.

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #56,648 of 88,826
I'd listen Ragnar, Ronin, New Hyla (uknown), RN6, Camelot, Erebus, Duality, Typ512, LP E7, R6 Pro II

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #56,649 of 88,826
Guy, I am surprised you're not more excited to review Singularity, and compare to the Z1R.
I auditioned the Z1R long time ago, and was not hooked. At least not after a 5-10 minute audition at CanJam. I was immediately hooked on Singularity!
I cannot say I tried all single DD implementations, but Singularity (to my ears) is one of the best (if not THE best) single DD out there.
I'm interested, sure! It's on my shortlist after all. Excited? Not really. I've learned to temper my expectations of what single DDs can do from a technical perspective - I'm yet to hear one that comes close to multi-driver IEMs for overall technical performance, and most single DDs (and single-driver IEMs in general) have at least some tonal compromises too. That said I'm more than keen to try it out, especially if the bass is as described - I don't need a second invite to try out a bass-first IEM, as long as it's high-quality sub-bass focused and not mid bass bloat.

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #56,650 of 88,826
Thanks for that insight. Out of interest, and I know it's early days for you, but how do you find the switch combinations tonally? Are they valuable/well considered choices?

The switches actually do have a noticeable effect. The biggest difference is with both either down, or up. It's more energetic all around with both up, and more laid back with both down. Switching between either one up, I have a harder time noticing what the difference is. Perhaps one is more midrange focused, and the other is more treble prominent.

I should say that I like it with both up, and that is how it was set originally out of the box.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #56,651 of 88,826
Z1R fanboy maximization. Thank you @Damz87, for nudging me over the edge!
All about Sony.jpg

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #56,652 of 88,826
It's only a month to HighEnd Munich and I was wondering if anybody is planning to go. I'm currently talking to Tom about taking a trip down and listening to some of the TOTL IEMs in his portfolio. But if I'm going anyway it would be nice to connect with some fellow Watercooler peeps.

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #56,653 of 88,826
The new nicehck hk8. I know what this actually says, but that is  not the font I would have chosen.
FB_IMG_1681916163961.jpg

Apr 19, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #56,655 of 88,826
It's only a month to HighEnd Munich and I was wondering if anybody is planning to go. I'm currently talking to Tom about taking a trip down and listening to some of the TOTL IEMs in his portfolio. But if I'm going anyway it would be nice to connect with some fellow Watercooler peeps.
I’m going! Would love to try some IEMs!!!! I’ll be there Thursday and Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back