The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 2, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #47,866 of 88,334
@metaljem77
You would need to inquire with HQ and see if we have any in inventory.

SoundSquare (Korea) may have some in inventory as they usually buy all the micarta iems we build (along with Jaben Singapore).

I currently have one block of micarta left.

As far as what technology can be placed in it, pretty much anything we offer, except the Kublai Khan.
Thank you so much! That block looks mighty fine to me :wink: I’ve sent Noble an email to enquire, hope to have your advice 🙏🏻

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #47,867 of 88,334
Ah yes, I keep forgetting about the 1K normalizing part. Although the XE6 curve appears to be more "agreeable" to how I hear it. I'd still expect the XE6 curve to rise above in the subbass region.

Anyways, would love to see a set of graphs for Noble Audio Jade and Fatfreq Maestro SE on your Squiglink as those are being considered as my next purchase. I've heard the Jade and and compared it to the Fatfreq Mini Maestro and the Jade was just "better" to my preference all around. Bass was just so much fuller sounding. Even against it's bigger brother Kublai Khan, I'd prefer Jade over it. I'm thinking it's the piezo and the treble tuning of the Khan that killed it for me. I always wonder why the Jade is so low key and not talked about here much less anywhere really.

Well, I can only graph stuff that's sent in for a review or stuff my close friends have because there are hardly any audiophile stores that stock brands like Noble or Fatfreq where I live, for me to try and graph.

Sadly, I'm not acquainted with people at Noble Audio. Had a word with the Fatfreq guys last year IIRC when they were working on their Signature 20.6/20.8 lineup and were thinking of sending over some IEMs to review but don't know what happened of that. I saw that they released a new Maestro series basshead lineup at SoCal CanJam (IIRC), but I don't think they've sent any of those units out to reviewers yet either.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #47,868 of 88,334
I currently have one block of micarta left.

Screenshot_20230203_074823_LINE.jpg

As far as what technology can be placed in it, pretty much anything we offer, except the Kublai Khan.

Are you saying I can get a Jade made with this wood?!!

Feb 2, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #47,869 of 88,334
@rodel808

That is Micarta (not wood)

Can a jade "prestige" version be built with that block? We have never installed the jade components into that housing, but I think it will fit. We can certainly try. There would be a premium added to the overall price of the jade if we used micarta rather than the standard printed resin.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Feb 2, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #47,870 of 88,334
My Mentor has arrived! (1 day shipping from 🐐 @MusicTeck ). Dopamine levels are high. This is my first Unique Melody IEM. The unboxing was pretty standard.

Screenshot_20230201-221656_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230201-221738_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230201-221920_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230201-221640_Gallery.jpg

Excited to give this a spin later :)
I can’t take it! I keep reading about all the Mentor love and I… must… be… patient…

Feb 2, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #47,871 of 88,334
P-EAR-S, a 🇨🇭-based IEMs designer and manufacturer, comes with a new addition in their offering in a few days.

As a long lasting and highly satisfied customer, I am quite excited about this company bringing their first single DD on the market.

Universal and custom fit will be available. Stay tuned.

https://www.p-ear-s.ch/?na=v&nk=74-06af07e9da&id=4

519FCDD2-974E-434F-B44E-D5C33B55A96B.jpeg

Feb 2, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #47,873 of 88,334
There are some other few brands, but that smooth neutral signature, man that becomes hard to come by, almost extinct. I moved to planars because of it, but on the move I use the se846
Just remembered, you might wanna look at the Vision Ears Phönix. It's an all BA with V-Shape tonality.

I really do not think the Shure Se846 is neutral at all... :D

Feb 3, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #47,874 of 88,334
Makes me wonder if he seen graphs on XE6 like this one.

When I try and interpret this graph, it tells me XE6 has "weaker" bass than the Supermoon and Fibae5. I've heard all three (own Supermoon and Fibae5 in fact) and I would expect the XE6 line be above the other two from the 20 - 400Hz range. I thought graphs were "reliable" from 20Hz all the way to 10Khz. Does this mean that XE6 is just mostly upper-bass and most of the "rumble" sensation I felt while auditioning the XE6 is a result of that?
I still think the effect of BCD / kinetic bass / whatever doesn't fully show up in FR charts. And I'm going against the current for the DD bass / BA bass in charts as well, as there's a decent chance the vibrations of a DD driver have a watered down BCD effect and therefore add more to the sound than a chart can show.

You need to normalize the graphs to a standard frequency for better comparison. The standard generally is set to 1kHz or 500Hz but you can change it to whatever you want based on the FR region that graphs similarly between the IEMs you're comparing. It's easier when IEMs are tuned conventionally but gets tricky when they're a little wonky. :sweat_smile: Since conventionally tuned IEMs have the pinna gain peak rise starting at 1kHz, it makes sense to normalise them to 1kHz. 500Hz can be used when IEMs have flat, neutral lower-midrange. Squiglink defaults normalization to 60dB, maybe I should program mine to default the normalization to 1kHz from the start.

Once you normalise them all to 1kHz, this is what you get below. Maybe now the comparison below makes a bit more sense as per how you hear it? XE6 has much more mid-bass and upper-bass from 60-250 Hz as well as much fuller lower-midrange than the other IEMs.

But why at 60dB? That's conversation level if I'm not mistaken. Not too many that are in for Xe6 goodness are going to listen at conversation level; that I can promise you. Can you show us what the difference in the curve is between, say, 60dB and perhaps 85dB? If there is a difference. But I guess there should be?

I like this! May I know where can I see this on your website? I tried looking for it but may have missed it. Thanks!
Try this link for dozens and dozens of Prestige pics. And then there's a similar page for Customs.

https://nobleaudio.com/pages/prestige-gallery

drftr

Feb 3, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #47,875 of 88,334
But why at 60dB? That's conversation level if I'm not mistaken. Not too many that are in for Xe6 goodness are going to listen at conversation level; that I can promise you. Can you show us what the difference in the curve is between, say, 60dB and perhaps 85dB? If there is a difference. But I guess there should be?

It has nothing to do with listening levels. 60dB is just the default dB setting in Squiglink and you can change it to whatever you want. But if I changed it to something like 200dB, then you'd say that by the time it crosses the the threshold of pain (130dB) and goes beyond 150dB, the person's ears would be long dead! :sweat_smile: Jokes aside, it doesn't matter what SPL you normalise it at, the FR will remain the same. Same thing when measuring the IEMs, the FR of an IEM does not change if you measure it high or low. As I had pointed out earlier a few months back, replying to a similar question - if you're trying to correlate graph measurement levels to Fletcher-Munson curve theory, then you're mistaken. Remember that it is our human ears that respond to and hear the frequencies differently at different levels. The IEM always plays the same FR at all levels but it sounds a bit different with change in volume because our ears hear the frequencies differently at different levels.

Maybe you've seen the image below? If you're interested, you can read about all of this in Equal Loudness Contours and Fletcher-Munson curve theory.

800px-Lindos1.svg.png

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #47,876 of 88,334
66FD836A-E941-4156-AF4A-059702A6BE82.jpeg
Size comparison between LX (custom) and LOAK-S(CL). Build of the latter is good, and its price point needs to be taken into context. Sound is burning in, fit-wise : just a word of caution that these seems quite petite to me and I can’t seem to make them stay in my ears v well with various tips.
have you tried the Dunu S&S tips? switched the ones on my Loak BSB from Azla shorts to Dunu S&S as they were heavier than my regular Loak-T.

Feb 3, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #47,877 of 88,334
have you tried the Dunu S&S tips? switched the ones on my Loak BSB from Azla shorts to Dunu S&S as they were heavier than my regular Loak-T.
Not yet, currently using one of the two types of stock tips, prob the most effective solution at the moment. Sound is opening up and clarity is increasing. I’m impressed 👍

Feb 3, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #47,878 of 88,334

Penon Impact Impressions

I have had the pleasure of spending this weekend with the Penon Impact.

Overall a spectacularly enjoyable and highly refined vocal-centric signature that sounds really good with a very broad array of music-- it never sounded off or fatiguing to me. I would describe it as something of a W, centred broadly in the middle-- bass and treble are there and not really in front or behind but they mostly in a supporting role. I really like the treble. It's something I've been fixated on lately beginning with Ani & Gaea last year. Treble on impact is nice, lush, detailed and sparkly but it's not as intense & forward as in Ani and doesn't give off much if any of that e-stat etheric quality.

Mids are interesting and definitely the focal point of the IEM. One of the most interesting features of the tuning is that it seems centred right on the vocal range, with male and female vocals positioned about equally. Instrumental and vocal timbre is really nice. Occasionally I feel a touch of BA-brittleness but this could be because I've been so climatized to Trifecta recently.

Bass is punchy, present but not overbearing and decently extended. Probably the least remarkable area of the FR on the Impact which is pretty typical for BA-driven sets in my experience. All of that said as far as BA bass goes it's pretty decent and beyond the obvious never left me feeling anytihng substantial was missing.

Technically the Impact is very strong, with highlights being detail, resolution and imaging. As with the Traillii the highlight of the Impact for me is its refined mid-centric tonality that sounds good with pretty much everything I've thrown at it.

Quick Comparisons

Traillii
- This will be from memory by necessity as I have not heard a Traillii since CanJam. I definitely see the similarities. Fom memory Impact has a little more bass presence and oomph and at the same time lacks a bit of Traillii's pristine transpaency. I'm also not prepared to say it has the magic "je ne sais quoi" factor that the Old Man imbued the Traillii. The bird always swept me up and made me forget time and space as son as I plugged them in. While Impact is very engaging and inviting to long sessions it hasn't quite touched my heart in quite the same way. It could be that I've moved on a little from this sort of sound sig. Curious to hear Trailii alongside this eventually to compare.

Trifecta - It is interesing coming to a fully BA and e-stat driven set after weeks of an exclusive diet of Trifecta's full bodied analogue sound. There is definitely more resolution and precision here with the Impact (par for the course) but at the same time my attention is now skewed more towards getting lost in the detail. It feels now more like I'm looking at a painting in a gallery than becoming one with the feeling and groove which comes more natural to me on DD sets like Trifecta. Technically Impact wins over Trifecta in terms of raw detail and resolution but Trifecta has a vaster deeper stage with better layering.

Some of the music used in the above:

Alice in Chains - No Excuses (Jar of Flies version)
Herbaliser - Starlight
Underworld - M.E.
Morcheeba - The Sea
Everly Brothers - All I Have to do is Dream
On Penon Impact and Elysian Annihilator, which one has bigger soundstage and better details?

Feb 3, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #47,879 of 88,334
Hello all, I live in the US state of Michigan. Anyone know of audio shops that sell / demo IEMs in the US? Preferably near Michigan lol. But any that are interesting would be cool to learn about too. What are your favorites? So that if I'm travelling I can try and hit them up. Relatively new here but loving the community of Head-fi so far.

Feb 3, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #47,880 of 88,334
At least the first 2 things (understanding meets as canjams) are not available in Europe... and the third, in my case, almost neither 💸💸
With everyone commenting on the marketplace wilderness geographically, it strikes me on how antiquated the audiophile marketplace really is considering its 2023. There’s reasons for it of course, most we know and driven by the fact we’re such an outlier niche market except for what appears to be super-fan locales like Asia where they have audiophile megastores and fantastic retail locations where both culture and commerce come together, but very very rare apparently based on the commentary.

Sad on one hand, but makes me appreciate the community and the grassroots efforts like Jeff’s tour that have developed. Much love to that and CanJams so we can actually try stuff out. Otherwise it’s just constant buying and selling wildly, which has its limitations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back