The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 21, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #46,891 of 88,670
Saturday survey: What are the top 5 styles of music you listien to?

I listen to a lot of styles, but sometimes focus on one style for a while. Recently it's been vaporwave. In particular this album, Floral Shoppe, and a few others.

Jan 21, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #46,892 of 88,670
1. Indie/alt pop/dream pop(female)
2. Female singer songwriter
3. Americana/Folk
4. Cinematic/trailer/modern classical
5. Classic rock (Eagles, Floyd)

Jan 21, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #46,893 of 88,670
Jan 21, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #46,895 of 88,670
Quick survey: What is on your radar in this early part of 2023?

I'm excited for rumours I've heard of some new VE IEMs coming down the pipe. I'm also eager for the remaining 3 IEMs that CFA teased last spring. Lastly I'm hoping LP releases a mid-tier next gen of thej P6 Pro.
I’m late on this but mine are the following:

IEMs: Storm, EE 2023 line-up, Sharona (I still have a soft spot for JH), MADOO line-up (Especially their upcoming flagship Typ 820), Mason FS (I’ll be hearing the MM soon but still curious about the Mason), Clariar IEMs, Svanar, Tremolo, and MSE.

Headphones: Bravura, Aperio, YH-5000, Caldera, R10P, & whatever Sony would bring out. I do think the MDR-Z1R is ready for a refresh.

DAP: WM1ZM2, P6 Pro, CA1000T, and LPGT/Ti.

DAC: Dave & TT2

AMP: Woo WA23 Luna & WA33, Formula S, Lina

1: Jazz Fusion
2: J-pop/J-rock
3: Anime OST
4: Metal
5: K-pop

Jan 21, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #46,896 of 88,670
I loved Avatar. Especially the story-- simple but timeless and very well executed. I don't understand the criticisms that it's all visual spectacle with no substance. I could do without the transhumanist overtones, however.

Great way to put it. Your post was a reminder how important the sort of music we like to listen to is when it comes to choosing and loving IEMs.

Mine, in no particular order:

1) Instrumental Jazz & Funk (Vince Guaraldi, Brubeck, Herbie Hancock, St. Germain, James Brown etc.)
2) Classic Rock & Pop (Prince, MJ, Eagles, Pearl Jam, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd etc.)
3) Minimal/Dub Techno (Bryz, Echospace, Rod Modell, Bluetrain, S.A.M, Sound of Life, Yagya)
4) Classic Electronica (Daft Punk, Underworld, Orbital, The Orb, Fluke, Move D, Kruder & Dorfmeister)
5) Classic soundtracks (John Barry, John Williams etc.)

1) Instrumental Jazz
2) Hip Hop/Rap
3) R&B
4) Dance/EDM

Most music I listen to seems to blend those genres all together, or at least elements of it ( Kendrick Lamar using instrumental jazz beats, R&B vocals over EDM edits/ tracks

I can’t really narrow down a 5th. It’s sometimes metal, sometimes pop, etc. Depends on my mood.

Jan 21, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #46,897 of 88,670
1) ECM Jazz
2) Avant-garde Jazz/Fusion
3) Classic/Indie Rock
4) Electronica/Ambient
5) Chamber classical

Jan 21, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #46,899 of 88,670
1) Blues Rock
2) Prog
3) Ambient-Electro-Berlin School
4) Metal Stoner Grunge
5) R&B Fusion

Jan 21, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #46,900 of 88,670
This month:

1) Extreme Metal (Black, Death, Thrash, Math)
2) Indie/Punk/Classic Rock
3) Electronic (Ambient, Acid, House, Glitch, Experimental)
4) Pop (Female, R&B, Hip Hop/Rap, Major label shlock)
5) Classical (Current mood being bombastic orchestral and organ focused)

Found this little forgotten gem recently. Give it a spin if you are of the reggae persuasion.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #46,901 of 88,670
Top 5 genres, but in no order as I can’t be dealing with that sort of mental complexity… 😜
  1. Modern classical / Ambient / Berlin school
  2. IDM / Detroit techno / electro*
  3. Indie rock
  4. Downtempo / Dub / psychill
  5. Drum & Bass
*these don’t really belong together but they have similarities. I can’t choose ‘electronic music’ as a full category as it differs too much, hence spanning 4 of my 5 in some shape or form.

It’s funny with age how the pace of my music has dropped back, the same list even 10 years ago would have been dominated by more upbeat techno, house, and trance.

Mentioning Detroit techno reminded me of listening to this fantastic album in the car going to work during the week - and just because of the name, I’d probably class this more as ‘ambient techno’ - certainly not for the dance floor, much more laidback but not fully ambient either - there are enough rhythms to keep the foot or fingers tapping. A huge classic from the 90’s and highly recommended as a more relaxed iteration of Detroit techno, or indeed just ambient techno.

https://shop.mentalgroove.ch/album/soundtrack-313-6

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 21, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #46,902 of 88,670
I loved Avatar. Especially the story-- simple but timeless and very well executed. I don't understand the criticisms that it's all visual spectacle with no substance. I could do without the transhumanist overtones, however.

Great way to put it. Your post was a reminder how important the sort of music we like to listen to is when it comes to choosing and loving IEMs.

Mine, in no particular order:

1) Instrumental Jazz & Funk (Vince Guaraldi, Brubeck, Herbie Hancock, St. Germain, James Brown etc.)
2) Classic Rock & Pop (Prince, MJ, Eagles, Pearl Jam, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd etc.)
3) Minimal/Dub Techno (Bryz, Echospace, Rod Modell, Bluetrain, S.A.M, Sound of Life, Yagya)
4) Classic Electronica (Daft Punk, Underworld, Orbital, The Orb, Fluke, Move D, Kruder & Dorfmeister)
5) Classic soundtracks (John Barry, John Williams etc.)
I’m one of those who felt the story they told felt generic and bland. The villain’s story was especially barebones. But, I saw the probably the best CGI I’ve ever seen, so it was 3 hours well spent. :D

My top 5 genres are:
1) Jazz fusion
2) Tower-Of-Power-esque funk
3) R&B/Soul
4) Hip-hop (the jazzy, lyrical kind)
5) Some form of rock (jazz-fused rock, prog-rock, etc.)

Jan 21, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #46,903 of 88,670
My top genres are:
1. Death Metal
2. Technical Death Metal
3. Thrash-Death Metal
4. Grindcore
5. Heavy Metal

Jan 21, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #46,904 of 88,670
My music listening has receded to pre-pandemic levels, thus my return to being way behind the curve on gear and relative lack of involvement as a hobbyist. "Music listening" for me is mostly back to background noise; I have a Sonos system at home, and when I drive I'll flip on various SiriusXM stations, all that said:

My Top 5:
1a. Ambient (so many sub-sub genre stuff here, I know…I listen to a lot of it)
1b. Jazz (so broad, but I listen to pretty much only instrumental; from 1940’s bop to contemporary fusion)
3. House
4. Progressive Rock
5. Trance (but this has been far less frequent as of late)

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #46,905 of 88,670
Hearing music in the creek flowing over the rocks, the wind blowing through the leaves, the screams of a baby wanting their mothers breast.

Is the sound of a car crash, creeks of old wood on stairs, old bones snapping back into joint, also music.

Happenstance juxtaposed with careful attention to the vibration of a string, the silk of a bow rocking.

The emotional movements created by changes in notes as melody collides with these attributes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back