The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 18, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #46,681 of 88,451
Happy Wednesday Folks! Survey Says...

20230118_084906_HDR.jpg

Jan 18, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #46,682 of 88,451
New bae. :)

20230118_115514.jpg

Jan 18, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #46,683 of 88,451
Survey...share a pic of your bae today:

2B8929CB-E45B-43A7-BA0D-13CAF9541827.JPEG

The more time I spend with this combo the more I feel I don't need anything else <3
1674061325398.png

Back to SP3000, I missed it too much 😅

This one works, my reboot problems happened probably because my first one was a faulty device.

But I think I will keep the M6U and use it for traveling which is a regular use-case for me.

Jan 18, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #46,684 of 88,451
Since you're so confident, I'm sure you won't mind asking for an assistant to help with a blind test while blindfolded.
Severely jetlagged, but wanting to sell my stuff asap to fund other stuff i have taken the blind test. Being a psych major I tried to control all variables. Both wires were fully covered up to the pins (by paper towel, thick cloth and tape) so that at no point did my hands touch anything other than the monitors itself (which I needed to adjust the fit). The weight of the covering material also meant that I could not tell the wires apart by their weight. Of course at no point in the experiment did I see the wires. Again, same dap, same modules, same tips.

We were originally going to do 10 sets. But after getting every set right we just stopped at 5 (yes, i got bored). I only used 1 track for each set. By set 5 I only needed 30 seconds on each to be fully sure which wire was which.

So I guess for some people the difference is real and not psychological. Might not be for every person, might not be for every cable, might not be huge, but it demonstrably exists.

Jan 18, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #46,685 of 88,451
Survey...share a pic of your bae today:

2B8929CB-E45B-43A7-BA0D-13CAF9541827.JPEG

The more time I spend with this combo the more I feel I don't need anything else <3
XE6 is from the tour.
thumbnail_20230118_101305.jpg

Jan 18, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #46,687 of 88,451
Severely jetlagged, but wanting to sell my stuff asap to fund other stuff i have taken the blind test. Being a psych major I tried to control all variables. Both wires were fully covered up to the pins (by paper towel, thick cloth and tape) so that at no point did my hands touch anything other than the monitors itself (which I needed to adjust the fit). The weight of the covering material also meant that I could not tell the wires apart by their weight. Of course at no point in the experiment did I see the wires. Again, same dap, same modules, same tips.

We were originally going to do 10 sets. But after getting every set right we just stopped at 5 (yes, i got bored). I only used 1 track for each set. By set 5 I only needed 30 seconds on each to be fully sure which wire was which.

So I guess for some people the difference is real and not psychological. Might not be for every person, might not be for every cable, might not be huge, but it demonstrably exists.

You're truly the MVP now for going that far and reporting, nice.

I've only been able to tell apart balanced and unbalanced so far, but that's because the circuitry itself differs on the amp end. And some crappy cable with mic because they lower the volume.

I still have not to this day heard silver sounding cold and copper sounding warm lol, but I'll keep an open mind and see if I can get my hands on cables that have a very different construction

Jan 18, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #46,688 of 88,451
Thanks!

To be honest, I am not so sure that there will be much difference in cables of less than a hundred dollars.
The two cables I used have an extreme difference in price, but not an extreme difference in sound.
I would certainly change tips, monitors, and daps (in that order) before I change cables.
However, for those who have totl iems and daps (a lot on this thread, it seems like), a change in cable will bring out that extra few % of performance imo.

Jan 18, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #46,690 of 88,451
Jan 18, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #46,691 of 88,451
Thanks!

To be honest, I am not so sure that there will be much difference in cables of less than a hundred dollars.
The two cables I used have an extreme difference in price, but not an extreme difference in sound.
I would certainly change tips, monitors, and daps (in that order) before I change cables.
However, for those who have totl iems and daps (a lot on this thread, it seems like), a change in cable will bring out that extra few % of performance imo.
I have very much detected differences in cables under a hundred dollars. Changing between an all-copper Linsoul cable and an SPC Linsoul cable, both under $20, on my CCA CRAs, also around $20, there is an obvious and blind-repeatable tonal difference. I don't think price has much to do with it, honestly. I really don't want to open this discussion up again - just wanted to point this out. The differences in sound from different materials and implementations among tips, drivers, cables, amps, dac chips, etc is irrespective of price. As is quality often - where more expensive by no means equates to better. You just gotta test it all out for yourself!

Jan 18, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #46,692 of 88,451
I have very much detected differences in cables under a hundred dollars. Changing between an all-copper Linsoul cable and an SPC Linsoul cable, both under $20, on my CCA CRAs, also around $20, there is an obvious and blind-repeatable tonal difference. I don't think price has much to do with it, honestly. I really don't want to open this discussion up again - just wanted to point this out. The differences in sound from different materials and implementations among tips, drivers, cables, amps, dac chips, etc is irrespective of price. As is quality often - where more expensive by no means equates to better. You just gotta test it all out for yourself!
Yeah testing is good. I was just making an assumption. A wrong assumption I guess. As you can see I am not that versed in cable rolling :D

Jan 18, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #46,693 of 88,451
Jan 18, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #46,695 of 88,451
Ugh, I literally miss RS8 just for this combination alone (minus OTL).

Awww *hugs* – ja, :goat: combo and switching out to a cheaper cable just for you 🤭

Users who are viewing this thread

Back