The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 9, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #45,856 of 88,642
Toxic is the original creator for such cables. Medusa is released in 2017.
Hum... This is not DHC the first one ? 😉

Hum... Yes, you have right. DHC, 2018... 👍

Jan 9, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #45,857 of 88,642
Can you hear sound <30hz frequency at a normal volume with your annihilator? I have my Anni reshelled and I think the bass is very poor, even worse than my airpods pro 2:sweat: (it has a good seal). I noticed it because I AB my Anni with my Focal Clear OG, and the Clear can reproduce sound <20 hz. I am thinking is it just me or its a common issue for Annihilator?
The Annihilator has a pretty mediocre bass response and most of its emphasis is in the mid bass region. However, I have tested its low frequency extension using this test track and my unit definitely produces sound/rumble down to ~20hz.

Jan 9, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #45,858 of 88,642
The Annihilator has a pretty mediocre bass response and most of its emphasis is in the mid bass region. However, I have tested its low frequency extension using this test track and my unit definitely produces sound/rumble down to ~20hz.

I can hear down to 25hz at most. Maybe the seal is still not good enough, I will try a bigger size eartip, thank you!

Jan 9, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #45,859 of 88,642
This photo and quote came up in my FB feed:

324254623_2407047766128899_9193531990169646540_n.jpg

"They have removed the struggle to find anything. And therefore there is no genuine sense of discovery. Struggle is the first thing we know getting along the birth canal, out in the world. It's pretty basic. Book store owners and record store owners used to be oracles, in that way; you'd go in this dusty old place and they might point you toward something that would change your life. All that's gone....If I want to walk out in the desert and heat up a can of beans on a fire, I still can. In those movies like Gattaca or whatever, the space age stuff is always all there is. But in the world there is never just one way of living. It's more like a big junkyard. Put it this way: I'm not afraid I'm going to end up on a space station in aluminium-foil underwear." ~ Tom Waits
In a few words, our world....

Jan 9, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #45,862 of 88,642
I have audio nirvana tonight.

Shanling M6 Pro and the Fir Audio VxV. 🎶🎶

Listening to a CD rip of Washed Out’s “Within and Without.”

Jan 9, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #45,863 of 88,642
I could use some advice. Knowing what I know about my sound preferences--I like the Legend Evos, I like the Fir XE6, I enjoy a bassier signature that's reference grade, but leans towards musical--am I going to love or hate the Thummim? Alternatively, is there anything similarly "out there" in terms of IEMs with a unique signature and a cool visual aesthetic?

@Rockwell75 you're far more seasoned than I am, I'd appreciate your input here as much as the general cooler's. I'm not nearly ready to pull the trigger on these, but I want to start planning, especially as to what brands to keep an eye out for at CanJam. Are there other brands in a similar vein with unique tunings and themes?
Thummim is a one of a kind IEM in my opinion. It is divisive not just in sound signature but also in style and ergonomics.
I would strongly recommend having a listen first to see how you like it.

I was lucky enough to become part of the European tour and experience it first-hand. I put an order in within 15 minutes of getting it- the packaging was cool, the fit was excellent and the build quality top notch. I also remember really liking the alchemy/cyberpunk vibe to it.

Where things started getting properly complicated is when I tried Eletech's Iliad as an upgrade from the stock Plato (which some consider to be way too coloured as is); Thummim became even less restrained on all fronts- in both being picky on the type of music but also in sounding even grander with a soundstage to die for. Going further down the rabbit hole brought me to Aeneid, which I felt tamed the wildness to the sound a bit, while retaining what I loved about the general sound signature.

It is an IEM I have owned on and off no less than 3 times and probably my all time favourite. Unsurprisingly, I find myself missing owning it yet again.
Joseph from MMR and his team pulled off something pretty special with Thummim and I can't wait for its successor.

Jan 9, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #45,864 of 88,642
Thummim is a one of a kind IEM in my opinion. It is divisive not just in sound signature but also in style and ergonomics.

I was lucky enough to become part of the European tour and experience it first-hand. I put an order in within 15 minutes of getting it- the packaging was cool, the fit was excellent and the build quality top notch. I also remember really liking the alchemy/cyberpunk vibe to it.

Where things started getting properly complicated is when I tried Eletech's Iliad as an upgrade from the stock Plato (which some consider to be way too coloured as is); Thummim became even less restrained on all fronts- in both being picky on the type of music but also in sounding even grander with a soundstage to die for. Going further down the rabbit hole brought me to Aeneid, which I felt tamed the wildness to the sound a bit, while retaining what I loved about the general sound signature.

It is an IEM I have owned on and off no less than 3 times and probably my all time favourite. Unsurprisingly, I find myself missing owning it yet again.
Joseph from MMR and his team pulled off something pretty special with Thummim and I can't wait for its successor.
Did you ever try the special Edition?

Jan 9, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #45,865 of 88,642
@Scuba Devils Going to the store now to try the WP900! 😆 The wood man, it's magnificent to look at. Curious t hear how it sounds. Fingers crossed I won't fall into the HP rabbit hole. Thanks for the recommend! ps. What do you like about the sound?

It has a relatively fun signature, v-shaped with good extension both ends - possibly a touch spicy for some ears or genres up top, but I love that bit of zing for a lot of my music. While not at IEM levels of detail retrieval and resolution, the positive trade off for me is a break from IEMs in my ears, WP900 are incredibly comfortable and being closed back, I can listen with family nearby and without bothering them! Overall, I find them an absolute joy to listen to, and definitely a rewarding step back to headphones.

Jan 9, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #45,866 of 88,642
Did you ever try the special Edition?
No- even though I did consider it. Which is hardly surprising given my long and complicated relationship with Thummim. I wasn't a fan of the way it looks and some of the comparisons with the OG led me to believe I wouldn't enjoy it as much.

At any rate, a new Thummim or whatever its successor is called, would immediately jump to number 1 on my most wanted list:D

Jan 9, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #45,867 of 88,642
I have audio nirvana tonight.

Shanling M6 Pro and the Fir Audio VxV. 🎶🎶

Listening to a CD rip of Washed Out’s “Within and Without.”

Brilliant album, I love ‘Purple Noon’ also… especially ‘Time to Walk Away’.

Jan 9, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #45,868 of 88,642
Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #45,869 of 88,642

Are there any tour units left of Thummim? I know MMR has been sold out of that model for a while, and as much as I'd like to hold out and hear/see whatever new model CanJam offers, unless it's on a payment plan, it's beyond my budget. Visually it came off as unique to me. I'd be curious to hunt for the limited edition if possible (who knows if anyone decides to sell theirs), but it's true, much like you I actually prefer the more matte finish on the original, and it is described as a less neutral tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back