The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 25, 2022 at 5:15 AM Post #40,786 of 88,625
I just Scubi'd my Dorado 2020 listing. I pulled them out for the first time since boxing them up. Such a nice, rich, bodied, muscular and analogue sound. Very different character to what I've been listening to lately. Coming direct from Supermoon or Annihilator these are a shock, mostly due to the shift in focus from mids & highs to bass & low mids. The loss of resolution/shift in focus from up top to down low can be jarring. However starting up with the Dorado with a fresh brain in the morning and I quickly adapt to the sound and fall in love again with them on their own terms. The tuning is admittedly weird and not for everyone but these IEMs have always had some unique sonic magic to my ears. This is a nice bass driven warm analogue bubblebath coming from Ani, Gaea and Supermoon...and a nice compliment to any or all of them.

241AF264-8825-46D3-B78E-3B92EE5DA451.JPEG
Hehe! It's my first love and is going nowhere! It is still my profile pic for head-fi!

Watercooler Top 3 Yankee Thanksgiving Weekend Poll

Question: What 3 IEMs most own your heart right now (today, not necessarily "all time")?

Fourté Blanc x2
Jewel x2
Softears Turii Ti x2
FIBAE7U
Viking Ragnar
Annihilator
Gaea
Dorado 2020
Kr5
OH5
radius HP-W300
Sennheiser IE 100 PRO
Xe6 x2
Mest MKii
VE7
Dark Sky
PHöNIX

FWIW I started counting votes with @audio123 and the top 3 of @ranfan's top 5.
Odyssey
Mentor
Blanc

Of the 3 that I bought over the past 12 months only the last 2 own my heart. I'll give the other spot to KK for now, but next week's meet up with @yaps66 is likely going to change my life forever. And that's not just because I'll be able to see/hear him live in concert. Woohoo!

1. Noble Sultan
2. 64Audio U18t
3. Noble Kublai Khan

drftr
Looking forward to our meeting!

The black atom has stayed on mine since day 1.

(Also partially because it is a pain in the backside to change the modules for the UIEM version.)
The silver atom has stayed on mine since day 1. I am now really intrigued to try the other two! Gasp! Yes, I have yet to try the other two since I fell in love with the silver!

Nov 25, 2022 at 5:15 AM Post #40,787 of 88,625
Results and some rough tabulations of our last 4 seasonal top 3 polls:

Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 10.41.17 PM.png
Don't draw false conclusions, Traillii owners just get bored of the polls and the birds calming down in winter :sunglasses: :bird:

Nov 25, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #40,790 of 88,625
Hehe! It's my first love and is going nowhere! It is still my profile pic for head-fi!

Odyssey
Mentor
Blanc

Looking forward to our meeting!

The silver atom has stayed on mine since day 1. I am now really intrigued to try the other two! Gasp! Yes, I have yet to try the other two since I fell in love with the silver!
@drftr

Very very interested and intrigued on your impressions at your upcoming meetup 🤭

This is where you get to hear summit-fi iems and decide whether its meant for you or not haha

Nov 25, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #40,791 of 88,625
I have to say, that I admire those guys, who always have the newest toys. If I win the lottery, I hope I can join your club 😎
New toys doesn't always mean better. You've got a few TOTL already :wink:

Nov 25, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #40,792 of 88,625
Same thing happened to me when I heard it at CanJam. I went in expecting to hate it but it ended up being my favorite thing at the whole show.
I can’t wait to listen to it again on Monday. I’ll bring my other sources as well and see if there’s a better pairing than the WM1Z. I might enjoy it with the DP-X1 because it’s extremely silent.

actually don't need 3 since there's the mentor, but still..

Mentor
Jewel
Odyssey
Man… I keep seeing the Odyssey creeping up the rankings. I really wanna hear it too being such a big EE fan.

Nov 25, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #40,793 of 88,625
I have to say, that I admire those guys, who always have the newest toys. If I win the lottery, I hope I can join your club 😎
May I suggest you click on your Spoiler: Former Gear link in your signature??? :wink:

@drftr

Very very interested and intrigued on your impressions at your upcoming meetup 🤭

This is where you get to hear summit-fi iems and decide whether its meant for you or not haha
You should join in. I think the best represented nation among travellers in Vietnam is South Korea, seriously.

drftr

Nov 25, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #40,794 of 88,625
Actually I’m waiting Mentor

But right now is

Odyssey
Kublai Khan
Z1R

Nov 25, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #40,795 of 88,625
Thx all for the birthday wishes last week. Fate decided to give me covid on my 50th birthday, so unfortunately I did not have much time to enjoy the latest addition, the Turii Ti. Now that I have recovered I started doing some listening (mainly with the Shanling M9) and would like to share first impressions.

Build and comfort
The Turii Ti look and feel fantastic. The build quality seems excellent. The cable is very supple and looks great. The plug of the cable can be changed but I only use 4.4 mm, so that element has no benefit for me personally, but the concept is nice. The Turii Ti have a peculiar shape. They don’t nestle naturally inside the ear, and as a result, they are not so easy to wear, at least with my ears. Somewhat similar to the Z1R, they kind of hang by the stem, esp on the right hand side, where my ear canal is thinnest. Fortunately they are much lighter. And also fortunately, I received the Radius deep mount clear at around the same time. With these tips I can get a pretty solid fit. But it takes some getting used to, esp. after listening mostly to CIEMs in the past weeks.

Tuning
When I looked at the FR chart prior to purchase, I noticed the elevated mid bass and esp. lower mids as the standout feature. I experienced this type of tuning previously with the Fir Xenon 6, which takes it to the extreme.

It worked well with some genres I thought, e.g. soundtracks, but with metal the bass was too loose and boomy for me. But I liked the concept of elevated lower mids, giving the music more body and warmth, and I was curious to see if the Turii Ti strikes the right balance for me. And of course, due to the reports of the main enthusiasts (aka shillers) @Scuba Devils, @blotmouse, @normie610, expectations were high 😊.

During the first few songs it became clear to me that the tuning is not as different from ‘mainstream’ tuning as e.g. Xe6, it is quite subtle. Yet, the elevated lower mids are noticeable, giving music the full body and extended rumble I was expecting, and the warmth that goes with it. I think this is why some have such a strong emotional connection with this IEM. Vocals are excellent, e.g. with a song like Indigo Night by Tamino. However, the upper mids/lower treble are also quite elevated, and when there’s a lot going on in that area, the warming effect can be cancelled out, e.g. with some metal music. But overall, they sound nicely balanced to me, and I think they can be seen as an allrounder.

I read some comments that they are relatively bass light, which I would not expect based on the frequency response. When compared to e.g. the Supermoon, which has a bit of a ‘bass monster’ reputation, you would expect to hear less sub bass and equal or more mid bass, see below. (Graphs superimposed and normalized at 1khz by @Dynamo5561. Thx bro 😊).

When I try one of my go-to mid bass test songs, Return to the Sauce by Infected Mushroom (from 0:51 onwards), I get nice, full-bodied bass with great texture. When changing over to the Supermoon, the mid bass indeed sounds more subdued to me, which I did not expect. I also tried it with e.g. Slow Acid by Calvin Harris, and I get great, thumping mid bass with the Turii Ti. On to the sub bass then. I tested it with All I Ever Need by Caribou, which has rumbling sub bass from the get-go, and indeed, the Supermoon has stronger sub bass. But I don’t find it lacking on the Turii Ti, there’s a nice rumble there as well. There’s just more emphasis on the mid bass.

Zooming out and overlooking the whole FR, I think the Turii Ti has an excellent tuning. It sounds very natural, e.g. drums and strings sound life like. The timbre can be nice and warm, e.g. with jazz, but when called for there is energy and excitement as well. Sometimes a bit too much for my taste. But I am quite sensitive to upper mids/lower treble, and generally prefer a dip there, as e.g. Traillii and 64 audio IEMs tend to provide.

Technical performance
When it comes to technical performance, I hear a wide sound stage, with sounds coming from behind my ears, almost. The venting might have something to do with that, as has been suggested. I don’t have an issue with isolation, but I use them in a quiet environment indoors. The detail retrieval and imaging are very good. I listened to the song mentioned by @Natesdailies above (The Force Theme by Eliott Tordo) with the Supermoon, which has great detail retrieval, and I recognize his description. When changing to the Turii Ti, I hear differences in tonality and timbre, but the detail retrieval and imaging are not that different to my ears.

Conclusion
To conclude, I really like the Turii Ti, upon first listen. It is an easy-to-listen-to, natural sounding IEM with a warm, inviting timbre and very good technical performance. I have yet to fully hone in on its defining characteristics. Being a single driver, coherency has been suggested as one of its main strengths. They do sound coherent to me, but so does the U18T, so for me that will not be what earns it a place in my collection longer term. I suspect I will be using them mainly for the more laid-back, atmospheric music styles, such as (smooth) jazz, vocals, soundtracks/modern classical, rather than the exuberant and energetic, to take full benefit of its timbre and natural sound.

As I am rounding out my collection and preparing for a headfi hiatus, it looks like this will be the final piece of the puzzle (OK, apart from a cable @doctorjuggles is making for my Odin.. :sweat_smile:). If they don’t stay longer term, it will be mainly due to the fit … but so far, so good. :)

Popping in and out with a quick update. The Turii Ti has really grown on me and will stay in the collection. The final :) purchase came in: a cable made by @doctorjuggles for the Odin. I liked the valknut splitter on the Stormbreaker but I found the cable itself too tangly. The doctor came up with this design, also incorporating the valknut symbol, inlaid with opals meant to approximate the bifrost faceplates. I think it worked out quite well. The build quality of the cable is great, as usual.

2022-11-25 11.43.46.jpg
2022-11-25 11.45.42.jpg

This completes the "Retirement Collection", shown below (IEMs normally stored in CA mesh bags). Larger than I wanted but I cherish each and every one of them... :)

2022-11-25 12.45.53.jpg
2022-11-25 12.45.05.jpg
2022-11-25 12.33.08.jpg
2022-11-25 12.38.35.jpg

(P.S. Mentor, Odyssey, etc. don't exist and are certainly not available for purchase... That alternative reality I will embrace as my own ... It has to stop somewhere... :))

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #40,796 of 88,625
Popping in and out with a quick update. The Turii Ti has really grown on me and will stay in the collection. The final :) purchase came in: a cable made by @doctorjuggles for the Odin. I liked the valknut splitter on the Stormbreaker but I found the cable itself too tangly. The doctor came up with this design, also incorporating the valknut symbol, inlaid with opals meant to approximate the bifrost faceplates. I think it worked out quite well. The build of the cable is great, as usual.

2022-11-25 11.43.46.jpg2022-11-25 11.45.42.jpg

This completes the "Retirement Collection", shown below (IEMs normally stored in CA mesh bags). Larger than I wanted but I cherish each and every one of them... :)

2022-11-25 12.45.53.jpg2022-11-25 12.45.05.jpg2022-11-25 12.33.08.jpg2022-11-25 12.38.35.jpg

(P.S. Mentor, Odyssey, etc. don't exist and are certainly not available for purchase... That alternative reality I will embrace as my own ... It has to stop somewhere... :))
Stupendous collection 😍

Nov 25, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #40,797 of 88,625
Popping in and out with a quick update. The Turii Ti has really grown on me and will stay in the collection. The final :) purchase came in: a cable made by @doctorjuggles for the Odin. I liked the valknut splitter on the Stormbreaker but I found the cable itself too tangly. The doctor came up with this design, also incorporating the valknut symbol, inlaid with opals meant to approximate the bifrost faceplates. I think it worked out quite well. The build of the cable is great, as usual.

2022-11-25 11.43.46.jpg2022-11-25 11.45.42.jpg

2022-11-25 12.45.53.jpg2022-11-25 12.45.05.jpg2022-11-25 12.33.08.jpg2022-11-25 12.38.35.jpg

I miss the Erlky:L3000:

Nov 25, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #40,800 of 88,625
Red? Really? That is the ultimate answer to my question already, especially when coming from you. Hmm... Food for thought...

drftr

I like them all but I’ve never vibed much with the gold one. So I rotate between silver, black, and red depending on the source being used. Black I like using during travel also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back