The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 25, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #40,773 of 91,357
The more ventilation the more the bass pressure can escape.

drftr
Read the review of Twister. I think, it has something to do with the diameter and the wavelength, so deeper frequencies can‘t escape like higher. Someone who had the physical know how here and can explain it?

Attachments

• E61AEB5C-ED67-41B1-B5CB-14504AD600D8.jpeg
    E61AEB5C-ED67-41B1-B5CB-14504AD600D8.jpeg
    466.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #40,774 of 91,357
Watercooler Top 3 Yankee Thanksgiving Weekend Poll

Question: What 3 IEMs most own your heart right now (today, not necessarily "all time")?

Fourté Blanc x2
Jewel x2
Softears Turii Ti x2
FIBAE7U
Viking Ragnar
Annihilator
Gaea
Dorado 2020
Kr5
OH5
radius HP-W300
Sennheiser IE 100 PRO
Xe6 x2
Mest MKii
VE7
Dark Sky
PHöNIX

FWIW I started counting votes with @audio123 and the top 3 of @ranfan's top 5.
1. Turii
2. Fourte Noir
3. Kr5

Nov 25, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #40,775 of 91,357
Traillii
Odyssey
V16 Divinity

Nov 25, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #40,776 of 91,357
Read the review of Twister. I think, it has something to do with the diameter and the wavelength, so deeper frequencies can‘t escape like higher. Someone who had the physical know how here and can explain it?
Tnx, you confirm what I'm saying: the black one is more open than the yellow one (13dB isolation vs 17dB isolation, and -2dB vs +2dB bass perception). You may have misread what I was asking but I think we're on the same line.

drftr

Nov 25, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #40,777 of 91,357
Tnx, you confirm what I'm saying: the black one is more open than the yellow one (13dB isolation vs 17dB isolation, and -2dB vs +2dB bass perception). You may have misread what I was asking but I think we're on the same line.

drftr
Sure, you should be right and our explanation matches, but explain how frequencies can be lower with less isolation? Or is it just an effect of frequencies interference? Maybe @twister6 heard something, that's physical not possible. 🧐

Nov 25, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #40,778 of 91,357
Just curious: Are there any XE6 owners who use them with the most open (so least bassy) ATOM modules?

drftr
The black atom has stayed on mine since day 1.

(Also partially because it is a pain in the backside to change the modules for the UIEM version.)

Nov 25, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #40,779 of 91,357
Sure, you should be right and our explanation matches, but explain how frequencies can be lower with less isolation? Or is it just an effect of frequencies interference? Maybe @twister6 heard something, that's physical not possible. 🧐
He's confirming what we're saying. I have used the 3 Apex modules + 2 Atom modules (yellow+red) and if I'm not too wrong then this is how it works:

The most open modules (= least isolation to and from the outside world = least bass perception) have the biggest vents. The bigger the vent, the more air pressure will escape, and the more the bass "leaks" into the outside world, making you lose bass when listening. 64Audio even has a module without any vent (not recommended for listening) and as such no air can escape, leading to pumping da bass into your ear canals.

So as a non-bass lover I was mostly curious about the quality of XE6 without the bass pump that most adore, and I wondered if others think that's still a winner.

drftr

Nov 25, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #40,780 of 91,357
Ah, I think I see where you go wrong: Alex writes "lower in bass quantity" and I think you are misreading this as "lower in bass frequency". That would totally explain your reaction. However, the frequency doesn't change; just the amount.

drftr

Nov 25, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #40,781 of 91,357
He's confirming what we're saying. I have used the 3 Apex modules + 2 Atom modules (yellow+red) and if I'm not too wrong then this is how it works:

The most open modules (= least isolation to and from the outside world = least bass perception) have the biggest vents. The bigger the vent, the more air pressure will escape, and the more the bass "leaks" into the outside world, making you lose bass when listening. 64Audio even has a module without any vent (not recommended for listening) and as such no air can escape, leading to pumping da bass into your ear canals.

So as a non-bass lover I was mostly curious about the quality of XE6 without the bass pump that most adore, and I wondered if others think that's still a winner.

drftr
He (@twister6) says with the most open module he has the deepest bass. We say with most open module you have less bass in general, this implicates all bass frequencies. So do we are really in line with his statements? 🙃 Anyway, I think the answer to your former question is: yes, there are some people doing this, but it's like you would lower a pickup, so that you can drive faster, or better - you bump up a Porsche to drive through mounty terrain. But everyone as he likes, if it's possible, why not...

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #40,783 of 91,357
thanks, that's what I meant. 👍🏻
Tnx for confirming...

I think it's also important to realize that FiR designed the XE6 to work with different amounts of (mostly sub) bass. They recognize everyone hears differently, have done a lot of research in how to play with bass quantity, and made the option available for XE6, so there's more than one sound signature they're comfortable with.

drftr

Nov 25, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #40,784 of 91,357
Tnx for confirming...

I think it's also important to realize that FiR designed the XE6 to work with different amounts of (mostly sub) bass. They recognize everyone hears differently, have done a lot of research in how to play with bass quantity, and made the option available for XE6, so there's more than one sound signature they're comfortable with.

drftr
It's like the seat position in your car (to do another metaphor... 😉)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back