The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 7, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #37,441 of 91,357
Sounds just like a hard to drive planar.
It's actually like heavy planars. Let's say Tin P1, although I don't dare say it's the same. That is, mostly they wanted good power and good current.
Supermoon is much more lenient)

It's also a bit similar to the oBravo EAMT-1c talked about here. They are just as demanding and just as unpredictable. That is, sometimes it seemed that the player was powerful, so the combo should be good, but no.
However, oBravo is even a bit more unpredictable.
(Here, as a side note, I will say that even Ra is less demanding than EAMT-1c).

Oct 7, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #37,442 of 91,357
Interesting...here's a different poll. The seasonal top 3 polls we do are for whatever is floating your boat at a given moment.

Let's do a desert island 3 poll-- if you had to walk from this hobby today and could pick only 3 IEMs to cover all your needs...what would you pick?
Jewel, Traillii, Indigo (hoping odyssey will replace this)

Oct 7, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #37,443 of 91,357
Android 4 and specific UI was not for everybody. Even today, this DAP gets lots of love from me and its sound quality is just awesome. Never listened to any DAP that sounded so analog. I can get over the M’s shortcomings, but not everyone can and that’s understandable.
Now I don't need a lot - click on play and let the music pour.
However, I can't say that the UI suited me well.

Well, the battery. This is what finally turned me away from the purchase.
Theoretically, 5 hours is enough for the way to and from work, but I had an iBasso DX200 that worked for about 6-7. And in my use case it was 2 days short. When I forgot to charge it, on the second day on the way home it didn't have enough and it was very sad. And I am not mentally ready to charge the player every day. It's not even that I'm not ready - I don't want to have the right to forget to charge the device.

This is if we leave the fact that the sound is not entirely mine. That is, I understand and I like it, but only for certain genres. Personally, I would buy it to listen to jazz on warm autumn and winter evenings.)

Oct 7, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #37,445 of 91,357
Interesting...here's a different poll. The seasonal top 3 polls we do are for whatever is floating your boat at a given moment.

Let's do a desert island 3 poll-- if you had to walk from this hobby today and could pick only 3 IEMs to cover all your needs...what would you pick?
Wish I could hear Mentor.

Top 3:
  1. Jewel
  2. Indigo
  3. Pathfinder

Oct 7, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #37,446 of 91,357

Only one - Traillii. But I still need a player and a cable. And a source for charging the player.

Oct 7, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #37,448 of 91,357

1. Fiio Fd5
2. Supermoon
3. V16

Oct 7, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #37,449 of 91,357
Having my first listening session with the Supermoon, and getting acquainted with its sound. Holy smokes, the resolution and detailing is a league above anything I've ever heard. It makes the TZ700 sound murky! The staging is markedly bigger too. It just creates this "world of music" around your head. It's mesmerizing to listen to. Obviously I've got a good fit with the Tanchjim tips.... that's for sure.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #37,450 of 91,357
Let me tell you another great story about Musashi Saita of 634EARS.

Around two months back, 634EARS introduced some variations of their current TOTL offering, the LOAK, being the LOAK-TS (SS back plate), LOAK-TB (Brass back plate), and LOAK-TC (Copper back plate). They also mentioned that the tunings of these IEMs are different than the regular LOAK-T and LOAK-S tuning. I, being the first Indian owner of a LOAK-T(CL), was quite intrigued by this and reached out to them to enquire about the specific sound characteristics of the new models and whether my existing LOAK can be changed to any of the new models. Well, 634EARS did not disappoint me, and actually assured me that they are starting the backplate swapping along with retuning service soon. I immediately decided to opt for it, because, although I was very pleased with my LOAK-T(CL) Cocobolo, I still would have preferred certain aspects to be changed.

After a long discussion with him, I decided on LOAK-TS (Titanium front housing, SS rear housing, SS Backplate), depending on what changes I was looking for in the sound. I also had another free IEM left over from my SARN-II order, the Specials, of which one side went dead. I asked him that whether it can be repaired, and perhaps slightly retune to tone down the bass. He promptly agreed to that and asked me to send them over with the LOAK.

So I did just that. And once he received them and spent time with them, he messaged me to inform:
> He had carried out a retuning of my LOAK, and found the resultant sound quite impressive, and perhaps a better fit for my preference than LOAK-TS, which makes the notes thicker that eats a bit of space.
> The B-Stock MIROAK shells had arrived, and instead of retuning of the Specials, I can trade them in for a part of their value and get a MIROAK-S.

And then he presented me with two alternatives:
1. Trade in the Specials for a B-Stock MIROAK-S, and he will not charge any fee for the retuning of my LOAK-T(CL).
2. Change my LOAK-T(CL) to LOAK-TS for a fee, and have the Special repaired and retuned for free

Now get this - He sent those Specials as a free gift with my SARN-II, and now he is offering to take them back in exchange for some trade-in value which can be used to order an already discounted B-Stock MIROAK-S!! On top of that, he will retune my LOAK for free, while initially, I wished to have it changed by paying a fee!!!

Who does that? No seriously, who does that? I was completely stupefied at the sheer incredulity of the offer...and it did not take much time to decide on Option 1 to get the best of both worlds. Yes, I had to shell out extra than what I was originally planning for, but hell, I am getting a better IEM, and better tuned IEM! That counts for a win!

And so here are we, with my newly acquired MIROAK-S, LCP DD, Aluminium housing with SS Backplate. The sound is wonderful - laid back yet crisp, quite transparent, wide and open presentation, quite a nice midrange striking a balance between fullness and neutrality, very much airy, refined treble with a dash of brilliance and extension, but never too much, and sweet sweet textures. It was also fairly dynamic sounding, never boring, and yet never in your face.

PSX_20221007_1022241.jpg

634EARS said that MIRAOK was derived from LOAK, by changing some aspects of its sound characteristics to create a more comfortable presentation. And surely it shows. To present a comparison - LOAK-T(CL) has a bit more dynamic sound, slightly more clarity and separation with more textured and detailed notes, whereas MIROAK-S has slightly smoother notes but with a more comfortable upper mids. Both of them are unique and wonderful.

PSX_20221007_1021441.jpg

And another example of his generosity, last but not the least - He shipped them via DHL for Free! I really can't marvel enough at the incredible human being Musashi San is!

Oct 7, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #37,451 of 91,357
Cool, cheers...

I can't link to the individual track for this, but 'Epilion' is what I'm interested in (as an aside, this is one of my favourite albums of all time)

One more... another classic

I'll add an album that was released today I've been listening to that is marvelous on Kr5 but too mid shouty on Noir for me.

Kr5 gives it some visceral deep bass air and pulls down those upper mids to harmonize better with the whole while the treble adds just enough crunch to electro snares and chime bits.
With the material I've been testing Kr5 has this really enticing softness to the harsher digital bits, its an energetic and engaging listen but it's more of a session master for longer listens than the more aggressive Fourte.

N8ii (HG, P, Tube, Class AB, Slow filter) Seemed the best settings for all 3.

Arovane:
Bass is juicy lush, full and immediately feels close to perfect. Still hangs a little north of sub for impact. Goes deep but it more defuse the lower we go. Very texturally percussive in the mids and treble (I love that with electro) great note weight. Hand claps/ rim shots are natural and not in some weird midrange no mans land. Stage seems smaller than usual for Kr5 on this recording. Very musical and enjoyable though. I will now listen to this with Kr5 only most likely. Really like the presentation.
This was already in my fav list to rehear, so thanks for giving me reason to reinvestigate. Super!

B12:
Staying with Kr5 now with no a/b, this album might need more upper mids, but still enjoyable. Again, hand claps where I want them, any more push upward and they'll be in disjointed uncomfortable territory. Great bass resonance and decay on the first track. Stage larger than Arovane.

Epilion specifically, started a little thin up top as it ramped up. Bass a little boomy, not bad - I like it, and might be the intent of the track.
Less impressive than the Arovane album overall for me though. Needs a bit more mid range sauce. I'd probably try this on Turii to increase the upper mids and reduce the slight bass bloat, ymmv on the bass. Treble is very impressive though as Kr5 typically is.

HIA:
OK, yeah, here we go again. This rules. Album master right where Kr5 can dice and display. This is going into regular rotation.
Sub rumble on point, textured and full. Stage expands to almost full capability. Female vocals do not get lost. Very nice.
Might be a little dark (lacking in bite) but I personally like it this way. Wouldn't change anything. The treble rises and falls, bouncing organically around a center bass midrange image that is super satisfying. Typical Fir coherence observed on all tracks, its just constant, and best in class for any multi driver set that I have heard.

Oct 7, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #37,452 of 91,357
Having my first listening session with the Supermoon, and getting acquainted with its sound. Holy smokes, the resolution and detailing is a league above anything I've ever heard. It makes the TZ700 sound murky! The staging is markedly bigger too. It just creates this "world of music" around your head. It's mesmerizing to listen to. Obviously I've got a good fit with the Tanchjim tips.... that's for sure.
Welcome to the club 🤗

Oct 7, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #37,453 of 91,357

XE6
Traillii
Isabellae

Oct 7, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #37,454 of 91,357
I'll add an album that was released today I've been listening to that is marvelous on Kr5 but too mid shouty on Noir for me.

Kr5 gives it some visceral deep bass air and pulls down those upper mids to harmonize better with the whole while the treble adds just enough crunch to electro snares and chime bits.
With the material I've been testing Kr5 has this really enticing softness to the harsher digital bits, its an energetic and engaging listen but it's more of a session master for longer listens than the more aggressive Fourte.

N8ii (HG, P, Tube, Class AB, Slow filter) Seemed the best settings for all 3.

Arovane:
Bass is juicy lush, full and immediately feels close to perfect. Still hangs a little north of sub for impact. Goes deep but it more defuse the lower we go. Very texturally percussive in the mids and treble (I love that with electro) great note weight. Hand claps/ rim shots are natural and not in some weird midrange no mans land. Stage seems smaller than usual for Kr5 on this recording. Very musical and enjoyable though. I will now listen to this with Kr5 only most likely. Really like the presentation.
This was already in my fav list to rehear, so thanks for giving me reason to reinvestigate. Super!

B12:
Staying with Kr5 now with no a/b, this album might need more upper mids, but still enjoyable. Again, hand claps where I want them, any more push upward and they'll be in disjointed uncomfortable territory. Great bass resonance and decay on the first track. Stage larger than Arovane.

Epilion specifically, started a little thin up top as it ramped up. Bass a little boomy, not bad - I like it, and might be the intent of the track.
Less impressive than the Arovane album overall for me though. Needs a bit more mid range sauce. I'd probably try this on Turii to increase the upper mids and reduce the slight bass bloat, ymmv on the bass. Treble is very impressive though as Kr5 typically is.

HIA:
OK, yeah, here we go again. This rules. Album master right where Kr5 can dice and display. This is going into regular rotation.
Sub rumble on point, textured and full. Stage expands to almost full capability. Female vocals do not get lost. Very nice.
Might be a little dark (lacking in bite) but I personally like it this way. Wouldn't change anything. The treble rises and falls, bouncing organically around a center bass midrange image that is super satisfying. Typical Fir coherence observed on all tracks, its just constant, and best in class for any multi driver set that I have heard.

Excellent, thank you - good to hear the tracks were also enjoyable!

B12 is the only album out of the three that hasn't been recently remastered, which might explain it sounding less impressive.

I always test that Arovane album on new IEMs, a crucial test.

KR5 in with a shot again for my next experiment. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back