The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 10, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #34,696 of 88,382
There are many pricey flagship IEMs in the market. However, there are less popular IEMs that perform way beyond their price point but go under the radar due to them not commanding a high price or having unique driver configuration. I would like to encourage everyone to look at the Custom Art FIBAE 7U. I understand it uses the traditional driver configuration of multi BA but this can challenge on all fronts. For those in US, can always ask MusicTeck for demo to try. The F7U is without a doubt my top pick for those who don't wish to spend a lot on a flagship IEM.

IMG_20220910_000536_253.jpg

I'm on the hunt for a mid-priced full BA IEM, and my shortlist is including this 7U. given I like a bassy sound (good quantity of bass and sub-bass, but a more linear-ish mid-bass), clear and detailed mids, overall very detailed and textured sound sig, would you suggest 7U? what do you think versus U12t and QDC Vx or the new Tiger?
TIA

Sep 10, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #34,697 of 88,382
Sep 10, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #34,698 of 88,382
I definitely share your thoughts
I am always late when buying and have all the time in my life
Each time I paid for expedited shipping it was either late and got 2 shipments lost by FedEx this year
Today I just use whatever shipping the seller offers, pay with PayPal and have a drink
I'll see when it arrives
Why would I pay for rushed shipping buying 3, 6 months or even a year after release date ... 🤔
I'm the guy waiting for his U12t for 6 months to have it delivered by a travel mate from the US to avoid VAT (see the discussion the other day), then keep them in my backpack for another 6 weeks as I thought it would be rude sacrificing our travel time that we had together for technology, and upon finally hearing them selling them after 3 weeks.

Wondering whether I should even unpack the U18t that should arrive next week (and they better do as I'm flying out of the country on Friday - of course we all know how this will end...)

drftr

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #34,699 of 88,382
Screenshots_2022-09-10-09-59-32.png
@Tokpakorlo @Bosk this is on you! 😅
Commisera... uhh congratulations! Very keen to hear your impressions compared with other cards.

I can definitely hear a difference, but when it comes to unconventional audio tweaks there's always a sense of insecurity that what you're hearing is real and not placebo.

Sep 10, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #34,700 of 88,382
Of course, everyone has their own taste and I am fine with that. However, if anyone is considering this headphone, look at the picture yourself and you decide if this is the build quality you would expect from a $2000 headphone.

11787270_5000x_2000x_c69c0deb-9ce6-46d6-854e-71a11d5e6c4e_740x.png
Are those prototypes? Even the foam finish…
I'm the guy waiting for his U12t for 6 months to have it delivered by a travel mate from the US to avoid VAT (see the discussion the other day), then keep them in my backpack for another 6 weeks as I thought it would be rude sacrificing our travel time that we had together for technology, and upon finally hearing them selling them after 3 weeks.

Wondering whether I should even unpack the U18t that should arrive next week (and they better do as I'm flying out of the country on Friday - of course we all know how this will end...)

drftr
I have an strong impression you won’t like it as well. :frowning2:

Sep 10, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #34,701 of 88,382
This is why i have to stay away from this thread. Now i have to purchase an expensive microsd card, something i thought i never needed. 😥
Exactly!!! Grrrrrrrr! 😡😡😡😡😡

I’m sitting at home, minding my business, then, BOOM, I’m ordering a Micron SD card because I GOTTA know if there’s a sound difference even though it sounds simply, insanely CRAZY to me that there would be…

It’s insane. I’M insane.

But genuinely curious….

Sep 10, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #34,702 of 88,382
I'm on the hunt for a mid-priced full BA IEM, and my shortlist is including this 7U. given I like a bassy sound (good quantity of bass and sub-bass, but a more linear-ish mid-bass), clear and detailed mids, overall very detailed and textured sound sig, would you suggest 7U? what do you think versus U12t and QDC Vx or the new Tiger?
TIA
Yes, the 7U is a no brainer. The mids on 7U is pretty much superior to the U12t, VX & Tiger.

Sep 10, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #34,704 of 88,382
Based onnnn?

I'd agree it needs your RS6 though.

drftr
Ok… let’s do a step back then.

What you didn’t like on 12t?

Sep 10, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #34,705 of 88,382
Can you hear the difference between batteries in the C9? Many people claim they can. I am skeptical. I agree that everything impacts sound. Well I dispute digital cables since bits are bits and any variance to the bits is fixed through error correction

Yes I did, and I stuck with the upgrade batteries as they had better dynamics to my ears. Still love that amp to bits with some of my best (but not with all) my gear. Warm iems/HPs (D8k, XE6 for example) don't pair well with it for me.

Sep 10, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #34,706 of 88,382
Ok… let’s do a step back then.

What you didn’t like on 12t?
For my taste they were a bit too warm (too much focus on the low end, too closed in in the mids, and not lively enough up top). So FR-wise a bit like a diagonally downsloping line. I prefer to see that line much more level and if thete had to be a more pronounced area then I would want it in the mids so that singers and many solo instruments do a step forward. The U18t overshoots a bit with the first part, making the tilt a bit too lean and bright. It's a work in progress but I think adding a bit of warmth and colour to the U18t is easier than taking it away from the U12t.

drftr

Sep 10, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #34,707 of 88,382
For my taste they were a bit too warm (too much focus on the low end, too closed in in the mids, and not lively enough up top). So FR-wise a bit like a diagonally downsloping line. I prefer to see that line much more level and if thete had to be a more pronounced area then I would want it in the mids so that singers and many solo instruments do a step forward. The U18t overshoots a bit with the first part, making the tilt a bit too lean and bright. It's a work in progress but I think adding a bit of warmth and colour to the U18t is easier than taking it away from the U12t.

drftr
What about the U18s?

Sep 10, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #34,709 of 88,382

drftr
I think all your points are valid and your expectations may align with the 18t. But 12t and 18t are a lot alike in general.

A positive point of 18t is the lack of LID, which help fine tune it a bit. But the core of the IEM frequency is still there.

Side question… do you like any of the pro IEMs from 64a? (3t, 4s, 6t…)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back