The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 10, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #31,981 of 88,379
Traditionally I've been a 90s/00s alternative listener, a lot of Bowie (who I still listen to all the time), maybe some 70s rock, but recently I've found myself listening to a lot of modern pop like Dua Lipa and Charli XCX who I'd have never considered, mainly thanks to Tidal rotating them into the daily mixes. The EXT works rather well with it because of how bass-heavy those tracks end up being. If the Jewel somehow did even better, then I'd sure be tempted.
Same way I discovered Charli XCX in June. Never listened to pop or heard her name but heard a couple songs before and didn't pay attention. Can't believe I have slept on this wonderful talent. Guess it just took the right gear to tickle my insides for me to take notice. She has shot up to being one of my favorite artists of all time. Easily taking up the top 30 spots in my vocal playlist.

Screenshot_20220809-190235_Roon.jpg

Love this performance too.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #31,985 of 88,379
Now there’s a thought.

Survey: What deflowered you into the TOTL realm?

For me it was the OG Solaris.
Z1R and HE6SE. Honestly, I am still not yet inside the TOTL realm in the context of watercooler arsenal. Will try them the first time this coming CanJam SoCal.

Aug 10, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #31,986 of 88,379
Loving this U12t convo in conjunction with the Bird. Honestly, the bass is the best thing about the ex8000st, its resolving and beautiful however saying that it def affects the rest of the FR being veiled and treble being an afterthought. I think I am going to return it. My lady didnt like it either. Dont get me wrong, it is super fun with EDM and Hip Hop, but I almost never listen to those genres. I spent 6 hours listening to TZ700 instead. And I am falling more in love. It is superbly balanced. I was listening to Darkside album Spiral laying in bed and thought something was crawling in my walls about 7 feet away in all directions and realized it was the track! The staging, layering, separation, imaging and texture is just about perfect for my tastes. And all of this coming from a Questyle M15, I can only imagine what more power and more burn in will bring my way with this teeny tiny marvel!! Looking forward to it.

Bummer Fed Ex screwed up!! Looking forward to your thoughts on them ands especially the TZ700

I did! I didnt attempt the nozzle mod as I do not think I will keep them. Big factor for not keeping them is the cable and its proprietary connectors that are not made anymore. I also do not like adaptors. I f could easily upgrade the cable and keep aesthetics I would keep them around.
Yeah it has the worst cable in history.

By the way, does the tz700 slam?

Aug 10, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #31,988 of 88,379
Loving this U12t convo in conjunction with the Bird. Honestly, the bass is the best thing about the ex8000st, its resolving and beautiful however saying that it def affects the rest of the FR being veiled and treble being an afterthought. I think I am going to return it. My lady didnt like it either. Dont get me wrong, it is super fun with EDM and Hip Hop, but I almost never listen to those genres. I spent 6 hours listening to TZ700 instead. And I am falling more in love. It is superbly balanced. I was listening to Darkside album Spiral laying in bed and thought something was crawling in my walls about 7 feet away in all directions and realized it was the track! The staging, layering, separation, imaging and texture is just about perfect for my tastes. And all of this coming from a Questyle M15, I can only imagine what more power and more burn in will bring my way with this teeny tiny marvel!! Looking forward to it.

Bummer Fed Ex screwed up!! Looking forward to your thoughts on them ands especially the TZ700
May i ask what genres you listen to?

Aug 10, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #31,989 of 88,379
Keep the votes coming...

In no particular order:

Oriolus Traillii JP
Sony IER-Z1R
Technics EAH TZ-700
Rhapsodio Infinity mkII
Rhapsodio Supreme mkII
Earsonics Grace
Earsonics EM32
Earsonics EM10
Custom Art Fibae 7 Ultimate
Campfire Solaris 2020
Shure KSE-1200
Astell&Kern AKT8ie mkII

Aug 10, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #31,990 of 88,379
FF10A58E-3237-4B4D-B64F-17751D4E9E2C.jpeg

Finally got to try phonix!

Not surprised to find that, as I expected, I much prefer og erlky.

So much of og’s magic is in its world-class vocal presentation, and its powerful and meaty mids and overall crazy engaging sound.

Phonix goes for something different altogether, and for me, it’s just not nearly as special and unique as og was. It is a great iem overall, no doubt, and it definitely has a very safe and enjoyable tuning. But perhaps, more than anything else, listening to it makes me yearn for that og erlky magic…it really was a masterpiece of ba tuning.

Additionally, finally got my paws on a fts, courtesy of Andrew @MusicTeck .

Was really hoping this could finally be my ticket to, and justification for, unloading the obscene (in every possible way,) orphy.

For better or worse, I just don’t think that’s going to happen based on what I am hearing.

The shielding of the fts definitely helps bring it to the next level sonically vs the non-shielded version. However, when A/B’ing directly with orphy, there’s still that last (insert microscopically small % here) that, if you’re looking for, simply leaves only one option…

Aug 10, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #31,992 of 88,379
In no particular order:

Oriolus Traillii JP
Sony IER-Z1R
Technics EAH TZ-700
Rhapsodio Infinity mkII
Rhapsodio Supreme mkII
Earsonics Grace
Earsonics EM32
Earsonics EM10
Custom Art Fibae 7 Ultimate
Campfire Solaris 2020
Shure KSE-1200
Astell&Kern AKT8ie mkII

I need to hear your Technics EAH TZ-700 😉

I wasn't aware the last time we saw each other 😭😂😉

Aug 10, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #31,995 of 88,379
M
FF10A58E-3237-4B4D-B64F-17751D4E9E2C.jpeg
Finally got to try phonix!

Not surprised to find that, as I expected, I much prefer og erlky.

So much of og’s magic is in its world-class vocal presentation, and its powerful and meaty mids and overall crazy engaging sound.

Phonix goes for something different altogether, and for me, it’s just not nearly as special and unique as og was. It is a great iem overall, no doubt, and it definitely has a very safe and enjoyable tuning. But perhaps, more than anything else, listening to it makes me yearn for that og erlky magic…it really was a masterpiece of ba tuning.

Additionally, finally got my paws on a fts, courtesy of Andrew @MusicTeck .

Was really hoping this could finally be my ticket to, and justification for, unloading the obscene (in every possible way,) orphy.

For better or worse, I just don’t think that’s going to happen based on what I am hearing.

The shielding of the fts definitely helps bring it to the next level sonically vs the non-shielded version. However, when A/B’ing directly with orphy, there’s still that last (insert microscopically small % here) that, if you’re looking for, simply leaves only one option…
that’s kind of my conclusion with FTS and Orph. Jewel with Orph is one detailed machine combo, my fav pairing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back