The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 12, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #28,951 of 88,367
Aren't IEMs just a marvel of technology? I'm listening to my 'old friends' the Fourte and SP2k, with a 'Juggles 'copper snake' cable:). It is amazing to me how these small devices with tiny nozzles can fill your head with music, with sound coming from all angles. And the bass is so deep and satisfying. What a joy for music lovers.

2022-07-12 17.42.03.jpg
Got myself a chance to audition these today, man these sound wonderful <3 But cost two kidneys xD

Jul 12, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #28,953 of 88,367
I saw this in Twitter 😂🤣

20220712_191507.jpg

Jul 12, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #28,954 of 88,367
1. Rock split 10 ways.
2. Grunge
3. Metal

Jul 12, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #28,955 of 88,367
Oh this favorite genre thing is hard I just love most things defined as music but I took a look at what gets played the most and It comes out to the below:

Progressive Rock: favorite artist Steven Wilson
Electronic: favorite artist Darkside
Instrumental Jazz: favorite artist Miles Davis

Edit: My actual top genres for the last week:

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 10.42.27.png

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #28,956 of 88,367
Thank you, everyone, for the great recommendations about DAPs. I've got my list narrowed down to the Lotoo Paw 6000, AK SR25 mk II, a used NW-WM1a,
a DX300, and the Shanling M6 Ultra (depending on how it's received) and the M7, so long as it's not too bright (as the M6 Pro was, alas).

I really appreciate all the advice. Thank you!

So perhaps something forgiving to poorly recorded music without sacrificing dynamics, stage size etc... ?

I'd recommend the Andromeda 2020, with a couple of reservations. It's outstandingly good for not being fatiguing. I listen to a decent amount of punk as well as poorly-recorded/mastered alternative rock, and the Andromeda 2020 do these genres justice nicely without being too bright. The darker tone of the Andro 2020 works well for them. Electric guitars sound great.

Dynamics are very good, when paired with the right source; from the wrong source, they can be a bit too soft. Stage size is outstanding, although wider than deep, but with plenty of space and air.

Edit: a downside I forgot to mention: there's quite a mid-bass emphasis, which may or may not appeal, depending on your preferences, and there's next to no sub-bass extension.

name your Top 3 Music Genres.

I'd guess that 60-70% of my listening is devoted to the following three genres:

Alternative rock (which can encompass indie rock)
  • Radiohead, Mogwai, Tom Waits, Joy Division, New Order, PJ Harvey, Marissa Nadler, The Stooges, The Clash, Public Image Ltd., Led Zep (doesn't really fit here but whatever), Pixies, The Breeders, Pavement, Sonic Youth, Blur, Tindersticks, Primal Scream, Interpol, Beck, The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Depeche Mode, The Pogues, Angel Olsen, Parquet Courts, Thee Oh Sees, Ty Segall

Electronic
  • Boards of Canada, Brian Eno, Massive Attack, Trentemøller, Amon Tobin, Biosphere, Gas, Underworld, Orbital, Leftfield, David Holmes, DJ Shadow, Soulwax, Air, Aphex Twin, Autechre, Portishead, the Chemical Brothers, Jon Hopkins, Cold Cut, Four Tet, Tosca, Andy Stott, The Avalanches, Kruder & Dorfmeister, The Rainy Truby Trio, The Peace Orchestra, Stars of the Lid

Jazz
  • Charles Mingus, Art Blakey, Cannonball Adderley, Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis, Hank Mobley, Freddie Hubbard, Duke Ellington, Clifford Brown, Max Roach, Gil Evans, Bill Evans, Sonny Rollins, Horace Silver, John Coltrane, Wes Montgomery, Art Pepper, Art Tatum, Eric Dolphy, King Oliver, Louis Armstrong, Jelly Roll Morton, and Oscar Peterson

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #28,957 of 88,367
Congratulations, use mine just about every day.

When you make your MicroSD card recommend being conservative, add maybe 2500 tracks, make sure the directory on the P6P reads.
Than repeat with another batch.

Also as crazy as it sounds, if you make the card copying artists in alphabetical order the artist folders will appear that way, otherwise they appear as randomly (non alphabetical) as when you add them. Each time you add an artist for the first time to the player it will be at the bottom of the list in the directory lookup. We sacrifice a little here to have the warm analog sound, to me it is so worth it.

In the case of this player, I like better using it with the case on, softer and more grippy, though covering up that pretty, unique, and really luxury case is such a shame.

Happy listening.
I am amazed a simple alphabetical listing cannot be created on the DAP.

Jul 12, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #28,958 of 88,367
I am amazed a simple alphabetical listing cannot be created on the DAP.
The sort order is based on when the file was saved. On most albums for example the songs play in the right order because in my case when I burned the CD that is how they saved, all depends on which track finished saving first.

Crazy how much they need help with software design and how good they are at hardware design. I always thought if L&P could merge with Lotoo the new company would be amazing. Both are non Android.

I do not make play lists, I just choose an album and listen to all of it. To me the way the P6 Pro sounds, the fast start up, the good battery life, the pocketable size, make the crazy sort order and lack of a search function worth putting up with.

Gapless also is missing and I would like to see included, really need that more than anything else. This could be a show stopper for lots of people, when tracks flow into one another like in EDM and DJ music there is a pause between tracks and there should not be. This can break the mood and shift focus. If L&P listens to us, and I hope they do, this should be high in their priority list to design into the new software.

Andrew (MT) told me months ago that this new software design is what is holding up the new player release.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #28,959 of 88,367
The sort order is based on when the file was saved. On most albums for example the songs play in the right order because in my case when I burned the CD that is how they saved, all depends on which track finished saving first.

Crazy how much they need help with software design and how good they are at hardware design. I always thought if L&P could merge with Lotoo the new company would be amazing. Both are non Android.

I do not make play lists, I just choose an album and listen to all of it. To me the way the P6 Pro sounds, the fast start up, the good battery life, the pocketable size, make the crazy sort order and lack of a search function worth putting up with.

Gapless also is missing and I would like to see included, really need that more than anything else. This could be a show stopper for lots of people, when tracks flow into one another like in EDM and DJ music there is a pause between tracks and there should not be. This can break the mood and shift focus. If L&P listens to us, and I hope they do, this should be high in their priority list to design into the new software.

Andrew (MT) told me months ago that this new software design is what is holding up the new player release.
I am open to upgrading to the LP7 if the difference is big enough. A an issue I have with the N8ii is battery life & charging. It sometimes refuses to after heavy use. Hoping the LP7 has a good interface and gapless playback.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #28,960 of 88,367
A week away and slowly getting back into it, and I seem to have forgotten the fervour for different IEMs, cables, tips and DAPs on this thread. It's like a Head-Fi feeding frenzy in here!!! When I want different, I polish just one of my Z1R earpieces. 😂

Abyway, changing pace, I had an idea for another Top 3 Poll. The last one (that I missed while I was away) got me thinking why certain people like certain IEMs more than others. One reason must be the type of music we each listen to.

So this week's poll question: name your Top 3 Music Genres. Try keep the descriptions consistent, so we can compare apples with apples. For example:

1. nu/goth-metal (e.g Origin from Evanescence)
2. trip-hop/electronic (e.g. Conjure One from Conjure One)
3. classic rock (e.g. Pink Floyd, Dire Straits)

those for sure my main listens... but I also like a lot
4. instrumental jazz / acid jazz
5. world acoustic

Jul 12, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #28,962 of 88,367
Completely OT, but I was ogling these images earlier today when the same existential question I've always wondered about cropped up: is this really what the universe looked like 4.6 billion years ago
well. it depends on the distance of the objects you see in the image. for those objects that are 4.6B LY away, then yes. but there could be some objects closer or farther and in those cases you are seeing (in the same image) what they looked like less than / more than 4.6B Y ... amazing uh? :relaxed:
Which begs the follow-up question: What does it look like now?
ah! that's a 4.6B$ question :smile: it depends on your definition of "now", which Einstein demostrated is a very strange idea
And conversely...when aliens peer into their own telescopes, do they see dinosaurs roaming the Earth?
possibly, if they are at the right distance and have good enough telescope....

will leave you with an even stranger one: let's say you find a way to travel faster than light (theorethically possible btw, see Alcubierre drive for example, even if you need some outrageously huge amount of energy and a state of matter still not discovered :scream: ), you take a picture of that 4.6B LY away galaxy, travel for let's say 100M LY, stop, take another picture, restart, and so on... you could see in a fairly low amount of time how that galaxy has evolved during 4.6B Y :relaxed:
even more strange: you point your camera to earth, take a pic, travel for 1000LY, take another pic, and so on... you could theorethically take a pic of ancient romans :scream:

PS the above "strange things you can do when you can travel faster than light" is HIGHLY THEORETHICAL and PURELY SPECULATIVE

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #28,963 of 88,367
Congrats!
P6 pro is a great sounding dap and I’m pretty sure C9 will help to increase stage.
@mmoderni has both as you☺️
Can confirm that is a wonderful combo. I prefer to use the C9 in preamp mode to maximise the P6pro flavour.

Jul 12, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #28,964 of 88,367
1. Death Metal/Technical Death Metal bands like Death, Necrophagist, Obscura, Demilich
2. Thrash-Death Metal bands like Protector, early Sepultura, Morbid Saint, Ouroboros, early Sodom, early Kreator
3. Grindcore Metal bands like Carcass, Napalm Death, Pharmacist, Cryptworm
And some classic bands like Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath
Sepultura..................ONLY with Max Cavalera :wink::wink::wink:

Jul 12, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #28,965 of 88,367
1. Prog Rock
2 . Metal
3. Post/Instrumental Rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back