The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 4, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #9,347 of 88,279
Didn't they say something like the BC driver was single sided in the OG and double sided in the later models or something to that effect?

I don't know the specifics I just know that I bought the MEST 2 in retrospect based off my enjoying the magic brought about by the BC in the OG MEST and to my senses it wasn't there.

Where did you find this? I’m curious which BC driver tech they are using in MEXT, or whether it is different again.

In the very first paragraph of the first post in the MEXT thread.

I'm surprised you're only just learning this. It has been known since the MEST MKII was announced that the OG & MKII had different drivers. Happy for your vindication though lol.

Yeah but it also has entirely different BC tech...which I didn't know at the time and in retrospect I think it goes some ways to explaining why I didn't enjoy the MEST 2 in the same way I enjoyed the OG MEST.

Jan 4, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #9,348 of 88,279
Jan 4, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #9,349 of 88,279
LMAO @gLer!!!

Just poped it to check 250+ missed posts and here goes Christmas miracle!!..

A man who almost slapped me in the wrist for putting EVO on sale when i moaned about its treble, now sold his EVO and then on top bought Z1R!!

Now ive seen everything..

And just because of that i haaaaad to pick up Z1R too lol.

Jan 4, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #9,351 of 88,279
The IER Z1R may one day become the first IEM I buy for the third time.
Honestly, just based on graph it looks horrendous in my book. But i have heard too many impressions saying quite different things than what graph shows. And if @gLer likes it.. There is a good chance i will.

Jan 4, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #9,352 of 88,279
Honestly, just based on graph it looks horrendous in my book. But i have heard too many impressions saying quite different things than what graph shows. And if @gLer likes it.. There is a good chance i will.

The midrange isn't particularly to my liking which is basically what caused me to sell it the two times i've own one...but the bass and treble are so good that I'm tempted to get one on hand to have as a "special teams" IEM.

Jan 4, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #9,353 of 88,279
They are certainly cheap enough. Please post your impressions in this thread when you have used them a while. Don't forget that DD and planar drivers need a minimum of 100 hours of burn in. Do you have Timeless too?
Understood. I will leave them “cooking“ for a work week and them share my impressions. Suppose I need to buy the Timeless too just for comparison. Another month, another paycheck…

Jan 4, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #9,354 of 88,279
The midrange isn't particularly to my liking which is basically what caused me to sell it the two times i've own one...but the bass and treble are so good that I'm tempted to get one on hand to have as a "special teams" IEM.
Not a fan of the mids, I think EXT is better overall.

However considering the price and the TOTL soundstage/imaging performance, it is a no brainer.

Jan 4, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #9,355 of 88,279
Yeah but it also has entirely different BC tech...which I didn't know at the time

Sorry, yes that's the driver I was referring to. It went from a single sided BC driver in OG MEST to a two sided BC driver in MKII. People who had tried both, like yourself, commented on audible change and a loss of a certain amount of magic to the presentation in MkII, then others felt the midrange was better in the Mk2 and felt more tactile. UM claimed better full frequency BC support with the double sided version anyway...

Jan 4, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #9,356 of 88,279
Sorry, yes that's the driver I was referring to. It went from a single sided BC driver in OG MEST to a two sided BC driver in MKII. People who had tried both, like yourself, commented on audible change and a loss of a certain amount of magic to the presentation in MkII, then others felt the midrange was better in the Mk2 and felt more tactile. UM claimed better full frequency BC support with the double sided version anyway...

The mid-range felt less synthetic on the MEST 2 I'll give it that but the mids in general were the achilles heel of both MESTS that I've tried. Staging voodoo and technical chops were the selling feature of the OG MEST IMHO and the former in particular was compromised on the MEST 2 which is why I sold it within 24 hours of obtaining it. YMMV etc.

Jan 4, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #9,357 of 88,279
2022 resolution: no more BAs for me. DDs, planars & e-stats going forward.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #9,358 of 88,279
2022 resolution: no more BAs for me. DDs, planars & e-stats for me going forward.
At least that will limit the choices down some.

Jan 4, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #9,359 of 88,279
At least that will limit the choices down some.

That's the idea. I really need to just enjoy what I have but I feel I should leave the door open for EXT as it seems like it could be a culmination of all my IEM dreams and also Timeless has made the prospect of a more robust planar experience very hard to resist thinking about.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #9,360 of 88,279
My 2022 resolution: (since I have found the one sound I am looking for) don't buy any new IEMs!

Let's see if I can last 3 months😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back