The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 20, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #89,626 of 90,537
It's a buddy of mine, he let me borrow it I thought, I included it in one of the two reviews XD but its basically T+A 200dac and streamer plus the MK465. he also has a SW1X tube DAC (I always foget the model).

Looks like a great portable option for those that like to take their IEMs on the go.

On this topic: I see a lot more people feeding huge desktop stacks into their IEMs. Do we feel there are actually IEMs that truly benefit from this approach or is it a matter of synergy that could be achieved equally with an as yet undiscovered or simply overlooked portable device?

I appreciate it's all subjective but I imagine there's a ceiling for most IEMs and that ceiling is reached way before you introduce a Mass Kobo desktop amp. Not trying to be dismissive as all that matters is what we hear at the end of day (and I for one love synergy hunting), but I would be interested in people's general feelings on this?

Desktop usually brings more power but power doesn't have as predictable of an affect on IEMs as it does for headphones in my experience. DAC quality is usually better desktop so that might be some justification but are our DAPs really that far behind?

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #89,627 of 90,537
Looks like a great portable option for those that like to take their IEMs on the go.

On this topic: I see a lot more people feeding huge desktop stacks into their IEMs. Do we feel there are actually IEMs that truly benefit from this approach or is it a matter of synergy that could be achieved equally with an as yet undiscovered or simply overlooked portable device?

I appreciate it's all subjective but I imagine there's a ceiling for most IEMs and that ceiling is reached way before you introduce a Mass Kobo desktop amp. Not trying to be dismissive as all that matters is what we hear at the end of day (and I for one love synergy hunting), but I would be interested in people's general feelings on this?
Are there iems that benefit from this ? yes. Where does it start and where does it end ? I don’t know as I don’t own every piece of desktop source gear on the planet starting at $59 to $20,000. Synergy is also still very much a thing too but synergy doesn’t mean you’re extracting everything a particular Iem is capable of just yet, particularly in the tech department.

May 20, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #89,628 of 90,537
Are there iems that benefit from this ? yes. Where does it start and where does it end ? I don’t know as I don’t own every piece of desktop source gear on the planet starting at $59 to $20,000. Synergy is also still very much a thing too but synergy doesn’t mean you’re extracting everything a particular Iem is capable of just yet, particularly in the tech department.

It does depend on what we mean by synergy. For me, synergy implies exactly that - a source extracting more information and doing it more musically. A more dynamic listen (which is generally my observation from desktop amping) on its own is not a worthwhile synergy if it loses technical flare. Power is an interesting beast with IEMs and I have heard IEMs change drastically in their tone and tech. Some come alive but others feel overly taut in their movement and diffuse in imaging.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #89,629 of 90,537
Will be in SG over the weekend. Does Zep cover everything or are there other stores that may have something that Zep doesn’t?
Depends whether you are a cable geek. I very much enjoyed visiting the Eletech office to try their new cables. Unfortunately, Romeo had been sent to another well known Watercooler (you know who you are) and wasn't available to listen to. I also very much enjoyed meeting up with Chang and my promise of "I'm only going to be gone an hour" ended up being hours of highly educational and enjoyable discussion on all things IEM.

In the meantime, Zepp requires quite a bit of time to explore in detail. I enjoyed sitting on that counter. I ran out of time unfortunately and picked Zepp over Jaben.

Desktop usually brings more power but power doesn't have as predictable of an affect on IEMs board as it does for headphones in my experience. DAC quality is usually better desktop so that might be some justification but are our DAPs really that far behind?
This depends on the IEM. Some IEM's scale from the additional quality power. And some don't. I wouldn't plug Andromeda 2020 into a desktop stack.

Storm certainly improved. Usually I expect improved dynamics, transients and opening up of soundstage. The DAC/Amp implementation on some desktop stacks also surpass that of a DAP alone. We often make do with portable amplifiers. e.g. SP3000 + MK475 with the Orphy shielded interconnect is near the most I can extract from that set-up.

I remember when I had the Chord TT2 - Trailii sounded absolutely amazing in how much micro-detail the TT2 extracted from that little bird.

May 20, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #89,630 of 90,537
Cleo_02.png

Happy Whit Monday! :relaxed:

May 20, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #89,631 of 90,537

Desktop usually brings more power but power doesn't have as predictable of an affect on IEMs as it does for headphones in my experience. DAC quality is usually better desktop so that might be some justification but are our DAPs really that far behind?

Z1R I like best from MUB1 (even over 320MAX) but Storm from my desktop rig all day long. To put it in perspective, it walks all over 320MAX which is probably the most common paired and well liked DAP with Storm.

Power wasn't really the goal with it though, it was put together around tonality and technicals, both of which it excels at and Storm really let's you hear what's going on upstream. I'd go so far to say that it's that good, it's already set the bar quite high for a jump into HP's. My DAC's out on loan but should be back tomorrow / Wednesday, I'll be A/B'ing Storm against Tungsten DS, that's where the bar is.

Even though Storm seem to get better with improvements in the upstream chain, I've put my setup together to also take into account HP's so it's not really specifically for them, albeit it certainly gets the foot tapping.

Jewel was another that responded well to desktop gear sounded superb with Niimbus US5 driving them but I'd hedge they'd do just as well with something lower down the chain.

IEM's that can take advantage of stuff like this are probably few and far between though...

May 20, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #89,632 of 90,537
Depends whether you are a cable geek. I very much enjoyed visiting the Eletech office to try their new cables. Unfortunately, Romeo had been sent to another well known Watercooler (you know who you are) and wasn't available to listen to. I also very much enjoyed meeting up with Chang and my promise of "I'm only going to be gone an hour" ended up being hours of highly educational and enjoyable discussion on all things IEM.

In the meantime, Zepp requires quite a bit of time to explore in detail. I enjoyed sitting on that counter. I ran out of time unfortunately and picked Zepp over Jaben.

This depends on the IEM. Some IEM's scale from the additional quality power. And some don't. I wouldn't plug Andromeda 2020 into a desktop stack.

Storm certainly improved. Usually I expect improved dynamics, transients and opening up of soundstage. The DAC/Amp implementation on some desktop stacks also surpass that of a DAP alone. We often make do with portable amplifiers. e.g. SP3000 + MK475 with the Orphy shielded interconnect is near the most I can extract from that set-up.

I remember when I had the Chord TT2 - Trailii sounded absolutely amazing in how much micro-detail the TT2 extracted from that little bird.

Yea I'm still waiting for the next chord portable DAC, to my ears theres a clear reduction in clarity/soundstage separation and layering when stepping into do it all DAPs from my Hugo2. Thats why I'm still with an ages old transportable setup (hugo2 + CDM sometimes). Wish they would put out a new portable DAC in 2024, it's been so many years since Hugo2.

May 20, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #89,633 of 90,537
i still use hugo 1, frankly preferred it a bit. still use TT as well.

May 20, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #89,634 of 90,537
Yea I'm still waiting for the next chord portable DAC, to my ears theres a clear reduction in clarity/soundstage separation and layering when stepping into do it all DAPs from my Hugo2. Thats why I'm still with an ages old transportable setup (hugo2 + CDM sometimes). Wish they would put out a new portable DAC in 2024, it's been so many years since Hugo2.

View attachment IMG_3989.jpeg
Hugo 2/2Go - love it. Though I've wondered lately if I should try the 1950's or Orpheus wired PWA Chord2 adapter. Extra 1% ... Can't find anyone who has done the vertical in the adapters to review. I have yet to do the A/B with SP3000 + MK475 one of these days to see which one has the better soundstage and clarity (audio memory thinks it may be the SP3000 + MK475)

My 'full sized headphone brain' still craves the extra space the TT2 and a full-sized headphone can create. 2Go/Hugo2 one of of the best ROON home portable chains. And the bird. I've heard a lot of nice things lately but these still have a special place. The musicality and staging on the Trailii ... listening to the Finale of The Rise of Skywalker in (available on Qobuz in 192khz / 24 bit FLAC) and it's pretty magical.

*apologies I seemed to have stuffed up the image embedding*

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #89,635 of 90,537
well if you want the brain to crave extra space and imagery, just slap wa33 elite on TT1 and your 3/4 the way home

May 20, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #89,636 of 90,537

Just like mobile gear, I do also think desktop gear synergy is important.

The Jewel opens up even further with totl desktop gear, from what I have been experiencing.

This week im still a/b ing between the Resolute (by haa and thrax), and the dcs lina amp.
Both work REALLY well with the Jewel.

Resolute adds more rumble and thunder, lina more refinement, little more bass. Both add “openness” if that even is a word.

To me both desktop pieces make the Jewel behave more like a 2 channel system or at least an open back headphone

May 20, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #89,637 of 90,537

Hugo 2/2Go - love it. Though I've wondered lately if I should try the 1950's or Orpheus wired PWA Chord2 adapter. Extra 1% ... Can't find anyone who has done the vertical in the adapters to review. I have yet to do the A/B with SP3000 + MK475 one of these days to see which one has the better soundstage and clarity (audio memory thinks it may be the SP3000 + MK475)

My 'full sized headphone brain' still craves the extra space the TT2 and a full-sized headphone can create. 2Go/Hugo2 one of of the best ROON home portable chains. And the bird. I've heard a lot of nice things lately but these still have a special place. The musicality and staging on the Trailii ... listening to the Finale of The Rise of Skywalker in (available on Qobuz in 192khz / 24 bit FLAC) and it's pretty magical.

*apologies I seemed to have stuffed up the image embedding*
I would be much more interested in Hugo2 + Mass kobo than any AK dap + Mass Kobo, try that combo. Mass Kobo is the only Amp that has interested me. I avoided 2go in favor of waiting for a new DAC, went with a DDC instead for now. Rob Watts says DDCs don't matter, he's probably right but I know for a fact EMI/RF is transferred through cables, just place your phone anywhere near the cable feeding your Hugo2.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #89,638 of 90,537
Hey guys – just spent a great weekend in Shenzhen at the Headphone Show and hung out afterward with a couple of great dudes.

Overall, to be honest, there weren’t many standout items, but I was able to pick up a couple of IEMs that I hadn't had the chance to demo yet.

Using DAP: E7

QDC Empress
IMG_6431.jpeg

With the exact same configuration as the Emperor (1DD, 10BA, 4EST), I liked the Empress demo more than the Emperor. The mid/treble energy is a bit more present, which makes the vocals sound a bit more forward. Overall, not a bad choice for listening to pop songs, but unfortunately, it's only available in CIEM form and has quite a lot of competitors across the price range.

Crazy QDC Gold Dragon IEM
IMG_6434.jpeg

This one costs over USD 15K!

Oriolus Monachaa
IMG_6437.jpeg

Quite an interesting IEM. It doesn’t exactly sound like a 4DD, but it has quite good bass energy with a wider soundstage. However, it's not technical enough for my liking.

Softears Enigma
IMG_6440.jpeg

This is the flagship set to be released very soon in China, should be priced at around USD 4K, with a stacked tribrid configuration (2DD, 6BA, 4EST). It has quite a balanced tuning with a bit of hot treble. Pretty good resolution too, although I still think its midrange lacks a bit of magic, maybe can be fixed by swapping out cables but I’m not sure.

Lottoo Mjolnir
IMG_6443.jpeg

This was my fourth time demoing this unit, and I still have a very consistent feeling about it - a very clean, transparent sounding desktop player. I tried it with Creator but it's not exactly my cup of tea – great clinical sound, but I think I would prefer a more colored source like DMP, N30le, etc.

Epic Audio Intoxication
IMG_6448.jpeg

This has been hyped up in China for quite a while. It has a crazy configuration including 12BA, 1 passive BA, 8EST, and 2BCD all packed inside an aluminum shell. It offers great lush and emotional mids, with a slightly forward presentation. I think there's some vocal magic here, great dynamics, and a medium-sized soundstage. It’s one of the few units that really piqued my interest to explore further. I have requested a demo unit and will share more in the future. Priced at around USD 5.4K – another crazily priced new brand.

Simphonio D-Max
9501dcc67571dbb58b22d4e7cfdf9c21.jpeg

I demoed the latest iteration of their soon-to-be-released flagship earbuds, changing the cable pairing to their cable used with P-Zero - CS0. The resolution is further enhanced with a very well-balanced tuning, having a technical presentation comparable to IEMs. It's one of the best earbuds I have heard and will be on my wish list. I hope their final aesthetic design will be great.

Cayin U170HA
IMG_6450.jpeg

The next Cayin flagship desktop headphone amp release. I tried it on both Susvara and Creator. Both sounded really lush, had great dynamics without sounding harsh, and the soundstage was quite expanded when driving Susvara. No hiss on my Creator and was definitely one of the best pairings I have heard, giving me the feeling of extracting 99% performance from my Creator.

Closing out the night with some great chat and demos with a few friends. Great weekend. Next stop, Shanghai CJ!
IMG_6455.jpeg

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #89,640 of 90,537
Two contrasting images today, accompanied by music.
First off, an image inspired by Dune, made after I read the first book, after that an underwater world.
coriolisx2.jpg

Coriolis

divex2x2.jpg

Dive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back