The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 18, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #86,956 of 88,144
[cross post from the Composer thread}

Thanks to @Uncle Wilson from Jaben SG, I have had the store demo unit of the Composer for a few weeks now. Initially, I was listening to the Composer out of my DAPs, as I was having a stay in hospital. Then, when I got home, I could listen to the Composer off my desktop rig. :)

I have included below the unboxing photos. As you can see, the Composer comes in a nice packaging. And it is a well built pair of headphones. There are echoes of how I feel every time I pick up my AKG K812Pro. Same sort of solid build which inspires confidence.

As for the sound signature of the Composer, I would put it down as very much a reference sound signature. It is pretty neutral. However, I have to agree that the sub bass of the Composer does hit very low and hard. The Composer does not have much in terms of colouration in its presentation. If the music is well mastered and recorded, you will be accordingly rewarded. If you are looking for a pair of HPs that will convey the layering, the details and the soundstage, then the Composer is for you. In that sense, it is an impressive pair of headphones at this price point.

The other thing I will say about it is this: whilst it will be driven nicely with a DAP, it really scales up with better sources and more driving power from a desktop rig. In that sense, it reminds me of the Utopia. Ditto for the HD800S.

I will say that the Composer is a very creditable flagship from the team at Austrian Audio.

If you are based in Singapore, you are in luck as Jaben SG has a demo unit. :)

IMG_3993.jpeg

IMG_3996.jpeg

IMG_3997.jpeg

IMG_4156.jpeg

IMG_4016.jpeg
It’s nice to hear about headphones that are driven well by DAPs on this thread. I’d like to hear a lot more about portable TOTL headphones and not just IEMs! I agree the composer is amazing with my DAP! Huge bass and crystal clarity! Exactly what I was looking for.

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #86,957 of 88,144
I'm really looking for an all-rounder, which is true that makes me think of RN6, however I'm looking for top-level bass, good technicalities and a wide soundstage.

The mid-bass doesn't bother me but I'm not a fan either, in fact I find that the Odyssey with N7 can often offer a mid-bass approach over sub-bass and I certainly prefer the sub-bass.

On the other hand, I like a natural tone and that it doesn't have advanced mids. I usually listen to a little bit of everything, mainly EDM, Pop and Rock.

Another important aspect is isolation, I need as much isolation as possible from the outside and I have a feeling that the RN6 with the metal casing and vented bass port may offer a slightly smaller compromise.

I know it's a very long list of 'demands' but I can only afford a TOTL and I must study all the details well :)

That’s part of the fun, isn’t it? 😉

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #86,958 of 88,144
Yup, those are sorted out.

Turns out that Toni had tested on iems that had the old school UM/QDC 2 pins and them being extruded allowed for longer 2 pins.

From communications with iem manufacturers it was also the type of 2 pin sockets as well. Some are open at the back but a lot of them are actually closed at the prices we play in.

My Cleo is actually back with him at the moment to get that sorted out.
Thanks, I have Cleo back and it's a great cable. But I am still pissed at having to spend an extra $85 CDN to ship it back to Toni and have it fixed. I don't think I will ever use Gladiator Cables again. :angry::angry:

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #86,959 of 88,144
Have you run it off the R8II? That’s been my source so far. I still need to throw the Navigator into the mix. I tried pairing my AE with the Flash Acoustics Thanos and I have a Beat Audio Cyclone on the way. I am going to continue to play with accessories this weekend to see what direction that takes the Alter Ego.

Had Alter Ego only for a few days, and already shipped them out (on their way to Bobby :)) I was using P6 Pro for testing, my new neutral reference source. Collected detailed sound analysis notes, and had only enough time to test a handful of cables and eartips.

Btw, the switch implementation of AE is VERY precise, narrowed down to mid-bass and lower mids. Oh, and another "teaser", while it is open-back IEMs, the sound leakage is mostly one-way. People next to you will hear the music (it failed the "wife test" in the bedroom :D), but as a listener with these in your ears - isolation is on par with many other regular iems, probably the reason why so many were able to enjoy them even at CanJam SGP loud environment. But, I also discovered that I can put noise-canceling headphones over the top to block the sound leakage, and they still sound pretty good without too many changes in tonality or technical performance.

ma-alter-ego-27.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #86,960 of 88,144
Had Alter Ego only for a few days, and already shipped them out (on their way to Bobby :)) I was using P6 Pro for testing, my new neutral reference source. Collected detailed sound analysis notes, and had only enough time to test a handful of cables and eartips.

Btw, the switch implementation of AE is VERY precise, narrowed down to mid-bass and lower mids. Oh, and another "teaser", while it is open-back IEMs, the sound leakage is mostly one-way. People next to you will hear the music (if failed the "wife test" in the bedroom :D), but as a listener with these in your ears - isolation is on par with many other regular iems. But, I also discovered that I can put noise-canceling headphones over the top, and they still sound pretty good without too many changes in tonality or technical performance.

ma-alter-ego-27.jpg

1713473318265.png

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #86,961 of 88,144
This time around the Monachaa is much much better. It’s natural, cohesive textured and lovely. What happened? Since DD mids/highs are rather rare, it occurred to me that the burn-in effect must be amplified here - we’re used to hearing the DD bass open up - but in this case the mids and highs changed their tonality dramatically. Much more so than BAs, and this could explain what I was hearing that threw me off. This is the exact same demo unit from November, but no doubt with lots more hours on it. The change was instantly recognizable.

This is definitely a U shaped IEM, with lots of texture. Great bass, with a very solid rumble, especially in the sub bass which is fairly lifted and forward. DD mids are to die for, so lush and natural, I wish more companies did this. The seemingly bizarre wonky-ness I heard is totally gone, and instead mids are spacious and really beautiful. The upper mids are still a tad too forward and thinned out for me, but they are very cohesive now, natural and lush. I know many love these kind of upper mids. Treble is nice and smooth, some sparkle to keep things interesting and clear. Bass and treble have more of your attention than the mids, which was surprising to me as I thought like the DC Ti, my staple for DD mids, Oriolus would make them center stage. But this is something else, and once you get into it, it’s very enjoyable. The stage is really big, very very open and spacious. I hear it having nice levels of detail, but more musical over micro detailed. Definitely hearing the difference between DD and BA for the mids especially, once you’ve gotten used to DD mids it can be hard to go back. Vocals and instruments are so realistic!
@tone.texture.soul i currently have a tour for the monachaa by rockwell75 and i couldn;t agree more with you about it. This is an interesting iem, i love how musical and lush sound from it. it drags u to the music without paying too much attention to details and technicality. Everything is smooth and cohesive all frequencies.
Im really enjoying this set so far, I pair it with eletech baroque eartip and sony 1zm2. Anyway, Awesome review for those 2 iem as always!

Attachments

• IMG_4269.jpeg
    IMG_4269.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #86,962 of 88,144
People next to you will hear the music

S'okay, peeps know I Tay-Tay. 🥰

If anything, it'd be the 2 Live Crew that would be risque.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #86,963 of 88,144
@tone.texture.soul i currently have a tour for the monachaa by rockwell75 and i couldn;t agree more with you about it. This is an interesting iem, i love how musical and lush sound from it. it drags u to the music without paying too much attention to details and technicality. Everything is smooth and cohesive all frequencies.
Im really enjoying this set so far, I pair it with eletech baroque eartip and sony 1zm2. Anyway, Awesome review for those 2 iem as always!
Funny I don't hear the Monachaas as super musical and lush / not focussed on technicals.. They are musical, to be sure, and they have an analog timbre, but they are quite revealing and also quite detailed. Plus, as far as technicalities like imaging, layering and soundstage go, they are top notch. With certain tips and cable-swaps you can dial up the thickness of the mids and give them more lushness but stock they are open and clear. Subbass is textured and deep but also quick and defined. To me they are the DDs that behave more like BAs just without the loss of timbre...

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #86,964 of 88,144
They are musical, to be sure, and they have an analog timbre, but they are quite revealing and also quite detailed. Plus, as far as technicalities like imaging, layering and soundstage go, they are top notch
i have listened it side by side with the Fei wan that's why i said it's not too much details and technical. compared with fei wan its way less resolve and details retrival, but true it's musical and analog feeling

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #86,965 of 88,144
Okay, that makes sense. Still not sure about "way less resolve and details" but fine. As for technical, I hear great technicals, especially with a 1-bit or R2R source that allows their great depth and holography to stand out...

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #86,967 of 88,144
Okay, that makes sense. Still not sure about "way less resolve and details" but fine. As for technical, I hear great technicals, especially with a 1-bit or R2R source that allows their great depth and holography to stand out...
I have a hunch that some people don't 'hear' details and resolution as much if there is much of any bass going on at the same time.

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #86,968 of 88,144
Welp, I sent the Rn6 back. I hated them.. 😂 Disappointing as I was sure that I would love em, but oh well. At least I got to give them a test run. Back to the ol drawing board.

:smile: What'd you hate about 'em?

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #86,970 of 88,144
They were too sharp and shouty for me. Getting them in my ears was a hassle every time too. Just didn’t work out for me.

Ah okay. Well, luckily, we're spoilt for choice in this golden age of IEMs. :slight_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back