The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 1, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #80,342 of 91,358
Raven does not scale that well with music that is subtler, quieter, or more relaxed. I’m not finding it as well-suited to jazz vocal or singer songwriter for example. Despite being a very lively set, I don’t find the Raven to be fatiguing at all.

Haha, that’s the same thing that I noted with the Odyssey. It seems that the Raven is an enhancement from where the Odyssey left off, but it’s not a completely different sound from it.

Feb 1, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #80,343 of 91,358
Still wondering what I feel about it, I definitely prefer it to Odyssey, timbre is more coherent. I found Odyssey’s tonality odd / mid-placed at times. What this wins me over all the EE iems I’ve tried (I didn’t try the entire line) is its clarity. I am a little disappointed in the bass quantity; if it had EVO’s bass impact, that would be prob be my LX mk ii. My search for my bass monster would have hit a milestone. Till then, my KK is my bass monster in terms of slam.
It seems that FatFreq IEMs are not the bass monsters you are looking for?

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #80,344 of 91,358
Raven does not scale that well with music that is subtler, quieter, or more relaxed. I’m not finding it as well-suited to jazz vocal or singer songwriter for example.
I'm gonna be honest, I'm mildly curious to hear these at canjam, but that bit alone is dulling a lot of my enthusiasm given how much of my library is jazz vocals. Rn6 as of now comes out swinging with Gregory Porter. Curious about Fei Wan. Certainly a very physically attractive housing.

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #80,345 of 91,358
It seems that FatFreq IEMs are not the bass monsters you are looking for?
I haven’t tried this brand, save where I briefly tried a set from @yaps66, can’t remember which one he had. It wasn’t for me , or at least I didn’t feel enticed to explore further. Bass quantity aside, I really like BCDs which optimise with bass. My fav bass-relevant BCDs are KK’s, EVO’s :)

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #80,346 of 91,358
I'm gonna be honest, I'm mildly curious to hear these at canjam, but that bit alone is dulling a lot of my enthusiasm given how much of my library is jazz vocals. Rn6 as of now comes out swinging with Gregory Porter. Curious about Fei Wan. Certainly a very physically attractive housing.
You may hear Raven differently with that kind of music, worth testing if you can. Fei Wan scales well though you might find Gregory Porter singing after he chugged a triple espresso. Rn6 is great with jazz vocal, you're right, especially with the red ATOM. You should try Trifecta with jazz vocal (really any kind of vocal-centric music), it always knocks it out of the park with its fantastic warmth and timbre.

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #80,347 of 91,358
Organized my set up to dive deeper into the hobby in 2024. 1000038353.jpg
Great work, now you've got 43% of the table left to fill!

But worry not, I see another tabula rasa table-a rasa right behind this one. So full steam ahead!

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #80,350 of 91,358
Feb 1, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #80,351 of 91,358
The link in your signature looks like it is an error page. What is the correct url? I would like to read it.
Hm thanks for pointing it out. Please try now.

Feb 1, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #80,353 of 91,358

Have been enjoying Yamandu Costas music quite a lot lately. Can recommend checking him out. Good night guys!

Great recommendation.
Just listened to this one, every nuance of the strings and guitar body is recorded perfectly.
Great playing, very nice.

IMG_3401.jpeg

Feb 1, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #80,354 of 91,358
IMG_1951.jpeg

Instead of Sinfonia, I brought the bigger amp to work today. Having an XE6 metalcore session during my break.

IMG_1955.jpeg

After listening to Diva 21 for a week, I am noticing more of Xe6s' characteristics. Diva 21 has a more ethereal sound with faster decaying bass, more upper mid forward and drier treble.

XE6 has a thicker low end with smoother transients. Noticing the tall stage height and muscular macro dynamics more than I did when I owned just Xe6. These sets seem to compliment each other well. Excited for 622B to fill a different category.

Feb 1, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #80,355 of 91,358
My fondness of @Eric Chong and his team is obvious, most of my cables are from Eletech. Aesthetics and ergo wise, they prob are top on my list. This is Enigma, using Versa technology (I believe it should be a play on “versatility).
https://elementechnology.com/blogs/news/eletech-enigma-powered-by-versa
Easy to use; sound-wise, still burning in but it shows potential with Raven, bringing more bass impact without sharpening Raven’s higher mids & treble, where Raven already renders more than sufficient clarity to these frequencies.

Attachments

• IMG_9034.jpeg
    IMG_9034.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back