The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 10, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #77,731 of 90,539
For me, it’s not the most bassy nor resolving. In fact it is muddy if compared to the Trailli or even just the Anni.

BUT … with the right source, in my case it’s the RS8, it is so buttery smooth and so musical (another word that probably need defining) that I wouldn’t mind gluing it to my RS8.

I think the Camelot needs to be hyped in this thread 😅
Also the right 3rd party cable along with the DAP gets the best synergy. I didn't expect WM1M2 + Iliad to have the best synergy for Camelot. Very good resolution, no muddiness, heft to the bass, a touch more brightness.

Eletech Raphael on the other hand brought more energy across the frequency range. some may like it, but it was a little too much for my preferences. Iliad provides a nice middle ground between the good stock cable and the Raph.

Jan 10, 2024 at 6:40 AM Post #77,732 of 90,539

Very interesting approach on improving stereo systems. Btw, it is also available for headphones.
As silicone and computing power improves over time, we could see this technology in 5 years being integrated into a DAP.

If it runs on a mac, it could also run on an iPhone!

Jan 10, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #77,733 of 90,539

Very interesting approach on improving stereo systems. Btw, it is also available for headphones.
As silicone and computing power improves over time, we could see this technology in 5 years being integrated into a DAP.

If it runs on a mac, it could also run on an iPhone!

Screenshot_20240110-125149.png

Top comment says most of what's important to know about this kind of device.

Jan 10, 2024 at 7:25 AM Post #77,735 of 90,539
Gosh golly, I sure can't wait to finally spend some time with my new Trifecta IEMs today! After last night's storm, I'm really looking forward to some downtime!

My daughter's daycare:
Screenshot_20240110_071624_Gmail.jpg

It was then that young Arthur felt an anger unlike any he had known before. His brow furrowed in silent rage, his lips spread, turning upwards into a sneer before transitioning into a thin smile. He began to laugh, his forehead beading sweat under the studio spotlights. Murray turned to look at him quizzically.
3nof55.jpg

Jan 10, 2024 at 7:31 AM Post #77,736 of 90,539
Khopesh is your all-rounder? Trifecta better for bass?
It is for me. It's fun bass tuning with reference technicality for treble, sparkle at the top and wide soundstage. Electronica is a small subset of my music, and natural timbre for orchestral bass and warmth renders the tradeoff worth it to me. If I could only have one, that one'd be it. On paper, it's certainly less of an all rounder than rn6, but my philosophy is, jack of all trades, master of none.

Jan 10, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #77,737 of 90,539
It is for me. It's fun bass tuning with reference technicality for treble, sparkle at the top and wide soundstage. Electronica is a small subset of my music, and natural timbre for orchestral bass and warmth renders the tradeoff worth it to me. If I could only have one, that one'd be it. On paper, it's certainly less of an all rounder than rn6, but my philosophy is, jack of all trades, master of none.
What ay name! Like the sword. Looks so cool too. Only item I can see on Google is your review! How did your wife ever procure this gem! And the world wants to know did you get your metal version or no?!

Jan 10, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #77,738 of 90,539
What ay name! Like the sword. Looks so cool too. Only item I can see on Google is your review! How did your wife ever procure this gem! And the world wants to know did you get your metal version or no?!
I did :) My dad took the resin ones, I kept the metal. There's posts in this thread some odd several number of pages back. I can dig up a photo later (on my mobile currently). They'll be with me at CanJam NYC if you feel like a listen.

Jan 10, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #77,739 of 90,539
I did :) My dad took the resin ones, I kept the metal. There's posts in this thread some odd several number of pages back. I can dig up a photo later (on my mobile currently). They'll be with me at CanJam NYC if you feel like a listen.
Awesome! A pic of metal one would be neat when you have the time.
And canjam nyc would be just 16-hours flight for me. Khopesh calls; I am all ears:)

Jan 10, 2024 at 8:17 AM Post #77,742 of 90,539
To share with the folks who do use the Shanling M30, I was delighted to received the much awaited M30C2 new player module from @Uncle Wilson from Jaben SG. Thanks to @Shanling getting the new player module across to Singapore so quickly. 🙏

This player module is an improvement in specs from the original player module when the M30 was first released: RAM increased from 6GB to 128GB; the SOC is now Snapdragon 660 from the original Snapdragon 430. It now runs Android 10. The UI is discernibly more snappy as well. Wireless projection is also more robust and stable now. :)

The other Improvements are that the player module is now tiltable. A fourth plus, as a consequence is that Shanling is able to design in a very convenient micro SD slot which can be accessed when the display is tilted up. :wink:

IMG_2027.jpeg
IMG_2029.jpeg
IMG_2050.jpeg
IMG_2052.jpeg
IMG_2057.jpeg

Jan 10, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #77,743 of 90,539
Adding to all the other blokes who have chimed in, the RN6 is quite excellent with orchestral music in my experience and remains fairly robust with bass. It’s quite airy and spacious sounding and with the aluminium shells, was a lot more comfortable for me over long listening sessions.

The XE6 feels more confined but a more engaging, especially in the low end. I found that I was changing from track to track rather than just letting my playlist run its course in order to just see how it would perform in certain sections of certain tracks. The shells are comparatively heavy and were more difficult to get comfy with.

Overall I found the RN6 more agreeable but the XE6 more addicting if that makes sense.

PS: that 10mm DD can be EQ’d to absolutely ridiculous levels of bass with little to no distortion on both
Worth auditioning both before committing to a purchase. I'm one of the minority who didn't quite agree with either the XE6 or RN6.

XE6 has an impactful, engaging low end. Which may work with modern music styles. Dance, Trance, EDM.

But for orchestral, acoustic vocals the coloration did not align with my preferences. Vocals weren't as clear or musical. I've heard a lot of IEM's this week so forgive me if my memory isn't 100% correct.

I found the Radon treble as little too much ... but perhaps I could have tamed that with tip rolling. Trumpets, Cymbals, Taylor Swift's voice ... just didn't sound right. I actually cringed in some places.

Subtle little imperfections that mean whilst I enjoyed auditioning them, first impression was I did in fact pass on them.

My Top 3 IEM's that I've had a chance to listen to:
1. Storm. BA/EST. I don't know what they did to the BA's but it's one IEM where I haven't noticed BA timbre or noticeable bass deficiencies. Lovely reference and a full, rich sound. Great depth. No unpleasant coloration. Difficult to drive. >100 on the SP3000 and I gave up and plugged it into a portable amp. Works well with the 475.
2. Trialli. It's classic, safe, versatile. Holds its own. But beginning to be dated.
3. Yet to fill this spot. I'm enjoying the Mest MkIII with Sedna Xlastec standard tips but abhor the cable. Actually why the *redacted* does PWA not sheath cables like Norne, Cardas or a gazillion other cable manufacturers. It's near as bad as the thin metal cable ties that come with a power cord.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #77,744 of 90,539
Embarking on a relatively long work trip with these babies to keep me company.

IMG_7498.jpeg

The Letshouer Cadenza 12 needs more listening time before I can share impressions, but between these sets, should be covered for all genres and all moods. 😊

Jan 10, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #77,745 of 90,539
But for orchestral, acoustic vocals the coloration did not align with my preferences. Vocals weren't as clear or musical. I've heard a lot of IEM's this week so forgive me if my memory isn't 100% correct.

I found the Radon treble as little too much ... but perhaps I could have tamed that with tip rolling.

Subtle little imperfections that mean whilst I enjoyed auditioning them, first impression was I'll likely pass on them.
I'd say the first bit is accurate. Both firs do a lot of things amazingly well, but vocals are less intimate, spatial than what you might get with other sets. You can't do everything, everywhere, not really. Probably my sole regret about selling my evos to this day was the intimacy they granted to vocals; what they did with Billie Eilish tracks was downright spooky, enough so that I wasn't an Eilish fan until  after I heard the evos. What killed me on the evos was the treble rolloff, and once I heard it, I couldn't unhear it. My impression is that a couple EST drivers would have fixed this, and in the Odyssey they did, but at the expense of radically different tuning.
Comparatively, and I've said as much before, the firs aren't sibilant as much as the treble extension is extreme and accurate. Think the energizer bunny: that sucker just keeps going, and going, and going, enough so that if you hear a trumpet hit a sharp note, you're going to hear and feel it. On the other side of the mirror, you have something like the evos with the treble rolloff, and you can listen to those for longer periods of time without fatigue. This is pretty much where we come into the justification of owning multiple sets beyond just having them look pretty and showing off on head fi. It's also why I think a lot of these discussions about this IEM or that IEM aren't necessarily as clear cut as we'd like.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back