The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 2, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #76,501 of 90,784
OK, twist my arm....😜

Plusses, nice big stage for a single DD. I was initially, "yes, this is what I'm talking about!" Especially if comparing to Singularity.
Great detail, not the undisputed champ for a single DD, but up there. I recall the dita s.k having more detailing overall and is probably the most detailed single DD I've heard. Not the most resolving or best resolution, but best direct micro detail. Audio memory being as worthless and vague as it is.

Perp is the flattest IEM I can recall encountering. That can be good or bad for you. I have a 2-channel system that is incredibly flat and just depends on the masters and what you feed it. In this case though and for me, unfortunately, pretty bad since I played everything I could think of through it with every source I had trying to find a good match. The lack of pinna gain and bass rise drives most mixes into an other worldly sonic experience with music you know well. I kept thinking material was no longer mixed properly. That got old fast. I doubted myself and my test tracks and had to grab my old stand by IEM's to verify why I even liked certain songs. It was the monitor, phew.

There is a nasty peak at 6k that makes percussion unbearable to my preferences and ear anatomy. It's the only real gain the IEM has. Flat with a 6k peak.
Bass is flat tight and mixes that would enjoy some mid-bass humpin' are thin as the upper atmosphere. It can dispense moderate bass with appropriate music though.

I enjoyed classical music with RS8 source the most and it worked well for that. I forgot that I was testing a new IEM and it faded into pure music. The experience you want. All the rock genre's and jazz was a hard pass though (trap kits). I rarely listen to vocal focused stuff and assume the treble peak enhances and doesn't detract from that "sweetness".

DD texture was only meh-OK (this is a 3k IEM, its gotta earn it) Turii Ti and Eden had more of that classic analog texture. Turii OG and Singularity had less. It sits in there.
All of my single DD's had better bass quality. Turii Ti was the only one that had less quantity, come to think of it. More than likely that experience is purely genre and recording dependent. Mid-bass vs. Bass vs. Sub-bass. I couldn't get any real slam out of the Perp. It was tight tight tight.
Rock music and Jazz need mid-bass more than deep extension as the only thing you end up shelf'ing is bass drum decay (if you care about accuracy) If you want a stereo with the bass knob juiced, then the more the merrier.

My takeaway was befuddlement as to why DITA would tune their flagship so awkwardly. It does have some top technical chops (for a single DD). As mentioned, class leading or matching stage and detail, but lacked for me in imaging (thanks to the flat tuning), dynamics, texture, timbre, and was probably built for music I don't listen to. If they ever make a retuned version or DITA moves to a tuning closer to s.k, I'd definitely revisit. I think the foundation is solid, this incarnation just didn't work for me.
Wonderful. Can’t wait to hear it. 😅

The sad thing is this is exactly what the graph looks like. And I bought it anyway. 🙈 But we’ll see..

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #76,502 of 90,784
OK, twist my arm....😜

Plusses, nice big stage for a single DD. I was initially, "yes, this is what I'm talking about!" Especially if comparing to Singularity.
Great detail, not the undisputed champ for a single DD, but up there. I recall the dita s.k having more detailing overall and is probably the most detailed single DD I've heard. Not the most resolving or best resolution, but best direct micro detail. Audio memory being as worthless and vague as it is.

Perp is the flattest IEM I can recall encountering. That can be good or bad for you. I have a 2-channel system that is incredibly flat and just depends on the masters and what you feed it. In this case though and for me, unfortunately, pretty bad since I played everything I could think of through it with every source I had trying to find a good match. The lack of pinna gain and bass rise drives most mixes into an other worldly sonic experience with music you know well. I kept thinking material was no longer mixed properly. That got old fast. I doubted myself and my test tracks and had to grab my old stand by IEM's to verify why I even liked certain songs. It was the monitor, phew.

There is a nasty peak at 6k that makes percussion unbearable to my preferences and ear anatomy. It's the only real gain the IEM has. Flat with a 6k peak.
Bass is flat tight and mixes that would enjoy some mid-bass humpin' are thin as the upper atmosphere. It can dispense moderate bass with appropriate music though.

I enjoyed classical music with RS8 source the most and it worked well for that. I forgot that I was testing a new IEM and it faded into pure music. The experience you want. All the rock genre's and jazz was a hard pass though (trap kits). I rarely listen to vocal focused stuff and assume the treble peak enhances and doesn't detract from that "sweetness".

DD texture was only meh-OK (this is a 3k IEM, its gotta earn it) Turii Ti and Eden had more of that classic analog texture. Turii OG and Singularity had less. It sits in there.
All of my single DD's had better bass quality. Turii Ti was the only one that had less quantity, come to think of it. More than likely that experience is purely genre and recording dependent. Mid-bass vs. Bass vs. Sub-bass. I couldn't get any real slam out of the Perp. It was tight tight tight.
Rock music and Jazz need mid-bass more than deep extension as the only thing you end up shelf'ing is bass drum decay (if you care about accuracy) If you want a stereo with the bass knob juiced, then the more the merrier.

My takeaway was befuddlement as to why DITA would tune their flagship so awkwardly. It does have some top technical chops (for a single DD). As mentioned, class leading or matching stage and detail, but lacked for me in imaging (thanks to the flat tuning), dynamics, texture, timbre, and was probably built for music I don't listen to. If they ever make a retuned version or DITA moves to a tuning closer to s.k, I'd definitely revisit. I think the foundation is solid, this incarnation just didn't work for me.

Thank you for your impressions, it was very helpful and provided additional context to Perptua’s pluses and minuses. Something I’d like to hear but one I don’t foresee owning:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #76,503 of 90,784
Wonderful. Can’t wait to hear it. 😅

The sad thing is this is exactly what the graph looks like. And I bought it anyway. 🙈 But we’ll see..
You know no one agree's with me, buddy. You'll probably love it.

I think the only cooler regular that likes less gear than me is @drftr and he likes Perpetua 😂 (mostly)
But I don't get to hear quite a bit of the latest and greatest, so it's not like I am throwing everything talked about on this thread in the bin or anything.

Jan 2, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #76,504 of 90,784
Thank you for your impressions, it was very helpful and provided additional context to Perptua’s pluses and minuses. Something I’d like to hear but one I don’t foresee owning:thumbsup:
You never know. Most of the IEM's I love have been ones that were a surprise. All the research done and everything, just to have the oddballs speak to me. 🥴🤓

Jan 2, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #76,505 of 90,784
OK, twist my arm....😜

Good to hear the negatives of Perpetua. so for you the perp was a twerp :wink:

Jan 2, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #76,506 of 90,784
I think what Perpetua is doing is different from what the similarly priced Hybrids are doing. Perpetua isn’t trying to be relatively anything close to a hybrid. It wears its analogue heart on its sleeve and it’s a smooth musical listen at its best IMO. It’s also high quality custom built driver with high quality build, etc…to me; all of these traits are where the difference is. It’s going against the grain of the current market, the same way Trifecta has, although I would argue the build of Perpetua is higher quality than the trifecta!
Are the rumors true that the Perptua pairs well with the Dita Celeste cable?

Jan 2, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #76,508 of 90,784

I think the only cooler regular that likes less gear than me is @drftr and he likes Perpetua 😂 (mostly)
But I don't get to hear quite a bit of the latest and greatest, so it's not like I am throwing everything talked about on this thread in the bin or anything.
Do not discount yourself. We appreciate you. We also value

We appreciate you and your opinions. Thanks for sharing. We need all kinds to make this work.

Jan 2, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #76,509 of 90,784
What are your favorites of these “oddball” iems?
The ones in my signature, minus Singularity. I may not be keeping that much longer. No real motivation to sell it either. I sort of get along with it.

Looking forward to quite a few on the horizon this year + my expected results. I am putting these down to see how badly I do after actually hearing them.

Oriolus Monachaa (probably not)
FiR Radon 6 (probably, but enough to buy?)
Elysian Annihilator 2023 (50/50)
FiR Electron 12 (probably not)
Aroma Fei Wan (probably not)
Vision Ears Phoenix LE (probably, but enough to buy?)
Vision Ears Aura (probably, but enough to buy?)
Vision Ears VEX (probably, but enough to buy?)
UM Mason, FuSang, Red Halo (probably not)
EE Raven, Odyssey (probably not)
FiR Ar4 (probably not)
And that 633 thing everyone's jazzed over. (50/50) edit: Canpur 622B, thanks @aaf evo

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #76,511 of 90,784
2 more months of waiting until CanJam where you can test everything before you shop :wink: Are you familiar with Trifecta tuning w/its stock cable and just want to upgrade it to fine tune the sound? If you are not familiar with Trifecta, I would test it first at the show with a stock cable, your own DAP, and your specific music library. Bloom always showcasing CFA iems and has a number of Eletech cables with them. I'm also planning to audition Trifecta again at the show this year. A number of people really enjoyed it at last year's CanJam, while I walked out a bit disappointed with its tuning but only because it didn't work at all with my library. So will give it another go this year :)
Music selection can make or break an iem purchase. As can the source chain it is on.

Jan 2, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #76,512 of 90,784
UPS finally decided to deliver my CIEM Omnium after a customs crap show.

The Craft Ears design render had me thinking I was getting a design with a more vibrant green, so this is darker than I was expecting. Normally something like this would disappoint me but thankfully it still looks pretty damn nice to me so I’m happy with how it turned out.

Unfortunately the stock cable on this IEM seems quite low res sonically. I’ll likely spend the money to upgrade it to something more premium down the road. I do enjoy how the Blue Hour sounds with it but I haven’t really found a poor combination with this cable yet, so that’s not surprising.

Overall I’m really happy with this addition and it fits my collection quite well for something that’s a bit more relaxing as opposed to the more ballsy sounds of the GM, MSE, and Fei Wan.

IMG_8161.jpeg

My universal Canpur 622B arrives tomorrow. I trust my ears and my gut from what I heard during the audition period I had this IEM for but I am ready to give it another shot and see if it draws me in more this time around.

:)

Jan 2, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #76,513 of 90,784
The ones in my signature, minus Singularity. I may not be keeping that much longer. No real motivation to sell it either. I sort of get along with it.

Looking forward to quite a few on the horizon this year + my expected results. I am putting these down to see how badly I do after actually hearing them.

Oriolus Monachaa (probably not)
FiR Radon 6 (probably, but enough to buy?)
Elysian Annihilator 2023 (50/50)
FiR Electron 12 (probably not)
Aroma Fei Wan (probably not)
Vision Ears Phoenix LE (probably, but enough to buy?)
Vision Ears Aura (probably, but enough to buy?)
Vision Ears VEX (probably, but enough to buy?)
UM Mason, FuSang, Red Halo (probably not)
EE Raven, Odyssey (probably not)
FiR Ar4 (probably not)
And that 633 thing everyone's jazzed over. (50/50)
Anni is the one out of your list I know I love. UM is hot or not. Depends on mood and model.

Not sure what the deal is with the Wei fan.

Jan 2, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #76,514 of 90,784
Hi! 👋
In my case, they told me it was about a month to get the CIEM. If it hadn’t been blocked at the Chinese customs, I would have had it slightly before a month. And if I receive it this week (as it should) it will be a bit over a month.
They do have custom designs. I attached the Canpur PDF so you can have a look at the options (it’s the Chinese version though so, sorry about that).
One thing to note is that for the moment they only seem to have the black shell option available. At least in my case I could only choose black. For the face plates they have many designs available, but it doesn’t look like you can stray away from those selections.
You can also make a custom logo and choose different colors for it. Different designs for each sides are also possible.
Although, they have several wooden faceplates options, the guy from my local shop advised me against as he said wood could potentially impact the tuning of the set, especially in the case of this one which has 2 BCDs. I don’t know if there is such a risk, but I’m just sharing what I’ve been told.
Lastly, they’ll need to analyze your ear shape and size first, because since the 2 BCDs need to be positioned in a specific way, some ear morphologies /size might not be able to work as custom design to fit the tech.

Yeah man! That would definitely be awesome to meet you before I go!! :)
Me sadly I don’t think I’ll be able to go towards Hongkong before I go. I’d love to, but I think it’s gonna be tight on my side…
But yeah! If you manage to stop by Shanghai and have some spare time before March, that would be fantastic!! :ksc75smile:

Definitely looking forward to meet the Coolers in Europe! :)

Yeah Rosenkranz is hard to find anywhere but Japan! And even there it’s probably not that easy to find. Here in Shanghai they have some for demo in one shop because the owner of the shop is Japanese, so they have several exotic Japanese brands that are not easy to come by.

Also, if we meet, I’ll have P0 to let you try! Another set that’s almost impossible to demo anywhere, except some audio shows in China. :)

I don’t really qualify as a Perpétua fan, I don’t own it and probably never will, but I demoed it many times (always with Kondo cable) and while I appreciate what it does, I personally think it’s a mids centric set that specializes in vocals timbre. I would not classify it in the generalist/allrounder category and would personally not recommend this set as a one and only. It’s an excellent set though and one of the best at what it does well.

Cheers guys,

Julien
For the Canpur what do you need to do to request ciem?

Jan 2, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #76,515 of 90,784
1. HiBy R8 II. It's finally time for me to get a proper full-sized DAP, and this one ticks all the boxes for me.
2. Elysian Dio. Something tells me the hype is very real about this one. I love my Anni, an upgraded version is likely end-game for me. Availability could be an issue tho.
3. Nightjar Duality. Still haven't found a single/all-DD set that clicks with me, I'm wondering if this could finally be the one...
4. FatFreq Scarlet Mini. ...or maybe this one. For the fun factor at least.
5. Aroma/Oriolus. Haven't had the chance yet to hear anything from either of these two, maybe that will finally change this year.
6. ZMF Caldera/Atrium. I heard these both at a show last year, less than ideal conditions for this type of HP. I'll need to hear them both again to figure out which I might want to pick up.

And I'm sure there's heaps more I'll learn about from all of the CJ impressions from you all, really looking forward to and appreciate your sharing!
Caldera is worth the listen. Favorite headphone. Can you clarify what you mean by full sized DAP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back