The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 13, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #73,411 of 91,366
Aroma Fei Wan has arrived šŸ„°

IMG_4522.jpeg

Fei Wan has everything I loved about Jewel (incredible mids with top tier detail, layering and imaging) but given a big injection of energy into the bass and treble to make the whole presentation super engaging. The bass quality is easily one of the best Iā€™ve heard in an IEM. Gobs of texture and slam, but controlled so well to maintain speed and coherency with the rest of the FR. I was concerned about the treble after my demo as I did experience a bit of spice during that session, but that seems to be less of an issue when I use my Sony DMP-Z1 or my iBasso DX320 Max Ti. For some reason my Cayin N30LE tends to bring out a bit of treble heat with FW which is strange because Iā€™ve yet to experience that with my other IEMā€™s using the N30LE but I guess itā€™s just a synergy thing.

Glad I pulled the trigger on this one and really happy to have it in my rotation.
N30 brings out a bit too much energy on Fei Wan for me as well, even without Hyper mode. I've found M9+ to have just the right touch.

Dec 13, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #73,412 of 91,366
To put it simply : Wide soundstage and beautiful mids šŸ˜
Oh and a good BA bass šŸ‘
I recently sold my Traillii. I'm really glad I got to try the bird for awhile. The mids were wonderful, among the best I've heard. The BA bass is ok but not great and doesn't have bone conductor or other means to give it more weight. I thought the staging was pretty wide and deep, not Mentor level though. Traillii was very good for playing singer-songwriter or mellower jazz, but otherwise didn't fit with a lot of my library, and it sagged in playtime in my roster.
I'm sure I'm going to make myself very, very unpopular now: I also sold The Bird. After careful observation, I realized that I had used it (far too) little. Somehow I couldn't really like it. I thought long and hard about what the problem was. And finally I was able to find it: the upper mids are too dominant and bright in relation to the trebles for me personally; this results, to put it casually, in a (subtle?) fade into the treble and thus a loss of extension on top (and in the holography). In my head I always had the feeling - especially in comparison to Mentor or Anni - that the soundstage had no real height, only the mids were high (because very present) but there was nothing above the mids. Like a kind of stereo sound without "three" dimensions. I don't know if that makes sense. Also, guys, I didn't get the impression that The Bird was as technical - here in regard to the resolution - as modern TOTLs!? Again, I had the impression that informations were missing from the music; but I could swear I'd hear that informations otherwise. Of course, The Bird has important aspects that I like. But what I mentioned was really a problem. It wasn't fun in the end.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #73,413 of 91,366
Any other brands you'd like to see added to the SebJam list for 2024? Who do you want to see more community involvement from?

I have capacity to take one more infinity stone and I'd love it be with someone who the community chooses.

1702505118703.png

Thanks to @TaronL for this beauty - gotta collect them all!

If anyone has any introductions to people I might not be thinking of that could benefit from the support of Head-Fi, please PM me and we'll arrange an introduction.

Thanks so much!

Dec 13, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #73,414 of 91,366
I'm sure I'm going to make myself very, very unpopular now: I also sold The Bird. After careful observation, I realized that I had used it (far too) little. Somehow I couldn't really like it. I thought long and hard about what the problem was. And finally I was able to find it: the upper mids are too dominant and bright in relation to the trebles for me personally; this results, to put it casually, in a (subtle?) fade into the treble and thus a loss of extension on top (and in the holography). In my head I always had the feeling - especially in comparison to Mentor or Anni - that the soundstage had no real height, only the mids were high (because very present) but there was nothing above the mids. Like a kind of stereo sound without "three" dimensions. I don't know if that makes sense. Also, guys, I didn't get the impression that The Bird was as technical - here in regard to the resolution - as modern TOTLs!? Again, I had the impression that informations were missing from the music; but I could swear I'd hear that informations otherwise. Of course, The Bird has important aspects that I like. But what I mentioned was really a problem. It wasn't fun in the end.
I think youā€™re gonna love the bird. Every time I get a listen from my friends collection itā€™s a treat to the ear ! I would look forward to it if I were you super romantic and beautiful sounding set
I recently sold my Traillii. I'm really glad I got to try the bird for awhile. The mids were wonderful, among the best I've heard. The BA bass is ok but not great and doesn't have bone conductor or other means to give it more weight. I thought the staging was pretty wide and deep, not Mentor level though. Traillii was very good for playing singer-songwriter or mellower jazz, but otherwise didn't fit with a lot of my library, and it sagged in playtime in my roster.

Thank you guys for your input. I am excited to test this out from the opposite end of having tried modern day totl first and then trying The Bird out. It arrives tomorrow or friday and will try it out until Monday.

Dec 13, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #73,415 of 91,366
Crossposting this from the Craft Ears thread, sorry if some of this is repetitive from what I posted yesterday!

Hey guys! Just received my Omnium's on Monday, I've spent quite a bit of time listening to them at this point so I figured I'd share some brief impressions on what I think about them as there's not much talk about this set :) I'm not the best or most articulate writer but I have been fortunate enough to hear just about every IEM that's available here in USA or somewhat relevant at the moment. It's my first Craft Ears IEM and I went in blindly with their Black Friday discount as I wanted to try something new/from a different manufacturer, and I am really glad I did!

The unboxing is rather simple and understated, yet all the accessories provided are fantastic and actually offer great usage which is honestly all I want and need. The provided cable is quite soft/supple and has interchangeable connectors at the bottom for 2.5/3.5/4.4. There's also 6 or 7 different sets of tips included. Build quality of the IEMs is great, although they are major fingerprint magnets. The cable seems to "click" nicely into the 2 pin sockets also which feels like it would remain sturdy over time with cable rolling. This IEM in universal form (I'm not sure about CIEM) also has no visible holes for DD venting as it is vented through the where the gold plate meets the shell.

IMG_7778.jpgIMG_7772.JPGIMG_7774.JPGIMG_7775.JPGIMG_7776.JPG

fc604bca17c9f83bed0a06c9d01ceace.PNG

Most listening was done off of the WM1Z-M2 and stock cable/ear tips around 77db volume.

To start off and be brutally honest, these have been one of the most challenging sets to share impressions on for me. When something is tuned this well and just sounds this "good"/normal, it is hard to find words to share as to why or why not they may be special or something you should avoid and that's been a struggle for me. When I listen to the Omnium everything just sounds so... right... that I'm not even sure where to start.

If I had to come up with any nitpick for my own tastes/ears, it might be that bass could use a tad more mid bass to add some extra body/punch to the lows, but when I listen to them I don't feel myself missing mid bass at the same time because the body is still there and very well controlled, I think perhaps my ears are just more drawn to how this IEM handles sub bass instead. Sub bass goes incredibly deep with wonderful rumble and feel. It never imposes on the mids and stays in its own lane but manages to sound big and present when it needs to be. Listening to "Blame Myself" by Illenium @ 1:25 as it enters the bassline, I can clearly hear and feel the two mid bass punches followed by the sub bass in the background as it scales the different frequencies. At 1:32-1:35 when it hits the lowest of bass notes the sheer feel of sub bass its able to provide is fantastic. It's not quite to the same elevation as the FATFreq IEMs but the quality here is higher and more satisfying to my ears.

The mids are some of the nicest tuned mids I have heard, being fairly neutral with a wonderful tiny hint of warmth and transparency to them that comes off as very organic and natural sounding. Note edges are on the slightly smoother side which gives them a more analogue rendition. Both male and female vocals are top class, with male vocals sounding clean and clear and female vocals coming off as slightly wet and more emotive. I'm not picking up on any sibilance with my main torture tracks. The way the mids are able to handle how they sized is also very impressive, it sounds massive without ever coming off as artificially large, being able to spread out nicely across both an X and Z axis, and never sounds too small or congested. It will expand/contrast accordingly to whatever the recording sounds like without leaning too far one way or the other.

I don't have a whole bunch to say about the treble, and that's a good thing. It's very inoffensive with great detail, dynamics, and extension, staying away from harshness or being crispy.

Technical chops are excellent all around while only falling short of the absolute best technical aspects of certain IEMs that I have heard, with the highlight being the IEM staging and imaging capabilities. Overall I feel left wanting for nothing here in techs, even when directly comparing to my Aroma Fei Wan which has some of the best technicals I have heard.

Some closing thoughts... I was really taken aback by how coherent his IEM is given it's using a planar driver. From my experience so far with planar drivers in IEMs they have this unnatural glare about their timbre that is hard to mesh well with BA/DD drivers. The Omnium doesn't have this issue at all, it is incredibly coherent and natural sounding. If you're looking for a natural smooth sounding IEM that just has a wonderfully done tuning/technicals that stays away from being too plain thanks to it's lovely sub bass, then the Omnium would be something you should consider. If you're after something that's thick/punchy and more aggressive/in your face then you'll likely not gel with this set. When I listen to the Omnium I don't get the feeling that any aspect of it is "the best I have ever heard." I have heard other sets that may have better bass, mids, treble, or technicals, but I'm not sure I have heard a set at any price point that offers such a complete package (relative to my tastes of course) in terms of just doing everything very well along with build quality, accessories, price, etc. If I were to score the Omnium it would have 8 and 9's across the board, which is what makes it a "10" in my head and worth owning.

I have enjoyed this set so much since I received it that I have already purchased it in CIEM form, and I should have that shipped out to me sometime next week as I paid for 7 day rush build. I'll share pictures of it when I receive it, but I am fairly confident it is going to look stunning. Until then I'll be enjoying my universal :ksc75smile::beerchug:

If anyone has any questions Iā€™ll do my best to answer. šŸ‘ŒšŸ½

Dec 13, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #73,416 of 91,366
Crossposting this from the Craft Ears thread, sorry if some of this is repetitive from what I posted yesterday!

Hey guys! Just received my Omnium's on Monday, I've spent quite a bit of time listening to them at this point so I figured I'd share some brief impressions on what I think about them as there's not much talk about this set :) I'm not the best or most articulate writer but I have been fortunate enough to hear just about every IEM that's available here in USA or somewhat relevant at the moment. It's my first Craft Ears IEM and I went in blindly with their Black Friday discount as I wanted to try something new/from a different manufacturer, and I am really glad I did!

The unboxing is rather simple and understated, yet all the accessories provided are fantastic and actually offer great usage which is honestly all I want and need. The provided cable is quite soft/supple and has interchangeable connectors at the bottom for 2.5/3.5/4.4. There's also 6 or 7 different sets of tips included. Build quality of the IEMs is great, although they are major fingerprint magnets. The cable seems to "click" nicely into the 2 pin sockets also which feels like it would remain sturdy over time with cable rolling. This IEM in universal form (I'm not sure about CIEM) also has no visible holes for DD venting as it is vented through the where the gold plate meets the shell.

IMG_7778.jpgIMG_7772.JPGIMG_7774.JPGIMG_7775.JPGIMG_7776.JPG

fc604bca17c9f83bed0a06c9d01ceace.PNG

Most listening was done off of the WM1Z-M2 and stock cable/ear tips around 77db volume.

To start off and be brutally honest, these have been one of the most challenging sets to share impressions on for me. When something is tuned this well and just sounds this "good"/normal, it is hard to find words to share as to why or why not they may be special or something you should avoid and that's been a struggle for me. When I listen to the Omnium everything just sounds so... right... that I'm not even sure where to start.

If I had to come up with any nitpick for my own tastes/ears, it might be that bass could use a tad more mid bass to add some extra body/punch to the lows, but when I listen to them I don't feel myself missing mid bass at the same time because the body is still there and very well controlled, I think perhaps my ears are just more drawn to how this IEM handles sub bass instead. Sub bass goes incredibly deep with wonderful rumble and feel. It never imposes on the mids and stays in its own lane but manages to sound big and present when it needs to be. Listening to "Blame Myself" by Illenium @ 1:25 as it enters the bassline, I can clearly hear and feel the two mid bass punches followed by the sub bass in the background as it scales the different frequencies. At 1:32-1:35 when it hits the lowest of bass notes the sheer feel of sub bass its able to provide is fantastic. It's not quite to the same elevation as the FATFreq IEMs but the quality here is higher and more satisfying to my ears.

The mids are some of the nicest tuned mids I have heard, being fairly neutral with a wonderful tiny hint of warmth and transparency to them that comes off as very organic and natural sounding. Note edges are on the slightly smoother side which gives them a more analogue rendition. Both male and female vocals are top class, with male vocals sounding clean and clear and female vocals coming off as slightly wet and more emotive. I'm not picking up on any sibilance with my main torture tracks. The way the mids are able to handle how they sized is also very impressive, it sounds massive without ever coming off as artificially large, being able to spread out nicely across both an X and Z axis, and never sounds too small or congested. It will expand/contrast accordingly to whatever the recording sounds like without leaning too far one way or the other.

I don't have a whole bunch to say about the treble, and that's a good thing. It's very inoffensive with great detail, dynamics, and extension, staying away from harshness or being crispy.

Technical chops are excellent all around while only falling short of the absolute best technical aspects of certain IEMs that I have heard, with the highlight being the IEM staging and imaging capabilities. Overall I feel left wanting for nothing here in techs, even when directly comparing to my Aroma Fei Wan which has some of the best technicals I have heard.

Some closing thoughts... I was really taken aback by how coherent his IEM is given it's using a planar driver. From my experience so far with planar drivers in IEMs they have this unnatural glare about their timbre that is hard to mesh well with BA/DD drivers. The Omnium doesn't have this issue at all, it is incredibly coherent and natural sounding. If you're looking for a natural smooth sounding IEM that just has a wonderfully done tuning/technicals that stays away from being too plain thanks to it's lovely sub bass, then the Omnium would be something you should consider. If you're after something that's thick/punchy and more aggressive/in your face then you'll likely not gel with this set. When I listen to the Omnium I don't get the feeling that any aspect of it is "the best I have ever heard." I have heard other sets that may have better bass, mids, treble, or technicals, but I'm not sure I have heard a set at any price point that offers such a complete package (relative to my tastes of course) in terms of just doing everything very well along with build quality, accessories, price, etc. If I were to score the Omnium it would have 8 and 9's across the board, which is what makes it a "10" in my head and worth owning.

I have enjoyed this set so much since I received it that I have already purchased it in CIEM form, and I should have that shipped out to me sometime next week as I paid for 7 day rush build. I'll share pictures of it when I receive it, but I am fairly confident it is going to look stunning. Until then I'll be enjoying my universal :ksc75smile::beerchug:

If anyone has any questions Iā€™ll do my best to answer. šŸ‘ŒšŸ½
Those are huge praises. Would love a more detailed comparison with the Grand Maestro. I love a subbass monster with great mids and seems to me that the GM and the Omnium are the only games in town (although I've already paid for the GM so I'm committed to it).

Dec 13, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #73,417 of 91,366
@Damz87 has kindly loaned me his Mass Kobo 475 to compare with my Soundtiger Sinfonia.

Build quality without doubt, 475 has the upper hand. It has vol pot and option for unbalance connection. Sinfonia feels cheaper, half of the size with no option for vol pot.

Soundwise, 475 has better imaging, noticeably larger soundstage and more clinical. Sinfonia meanwhile is more intimate, natural and lush.

Overall, 475 is a better amp but not by as much margin as the price indicates.

Personally, I think synergy with the rest of the gears and choice of music would matter more. I found that I kept switching preference between these 2 amps depending on the track and iems.

IMG_5893.jpeg

IMG_5894.jpeg

Dec 13, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #73,418 of 91,366
I'm looking at VE Aura, EE Raven, and Kinera Loki, wondering which would best complement my Mentor. Looking for a spacious and airy sound profile with great vocals (prioritizing higher female vocals). Not overly warm while retaining musical quality (very welcoming of a bright yet musical signature). I can tolerate a moderate amount of treble attenuation, as long as it doesn't alter the harmonic structure to the extent of creating unnatural tones (e.g., muted hi-hats or artificial-sounding violins).

The VE Aura, EE Raven, and Kinera Loki have been on the top of my list, but each had certain aspects that gave me pause (but not enough to eliminate from contention, unlike others). (Tbh, the PMG Audio Apx was regrettably crossed off due to its price point, considering that I could buy both the Abyss Diana MR and Meze Empyrean II with leftover funds.)

VE Aura: Reservations stemmed from @Rockwell75 's mention of its somewhat flat sound. This is a concern because I started noticing lack of depth/height (of other IEMs) after listening to the Mentor. Second, I wanted EST treble as its reputed for spacious and airy sound, whereas BA drivers are more reputed for clear, detailed, and vibrant treble (knowing there can be overlaps).

EE Raven: I was hesitant due to the reported midrange irregularity and the stairwell effect for voices highlighted by theheadphoneshow and the noticeable reduction in upper mids. Users said it was the bone conduction effect of the Raven.

Kinera Loki: It seems like the better alternative to the Annihilator with better comfort, bass, and mids (not sure if treble is on par with Annihilator but the Loki is the only one I've seen compared with the Annihilator in treble). My concern is reading that the bone conduction driver makes noises during male speech (I think mentioned by @Animagus). I'm concerned about buying a flagship priced IEM if it has an issue akin to a bug on the hardware side.

On the topic of treble vibrancy, is there an IEM considered a direct upgrade to the Anole VX's vibrant BA treble implementation? (specifically interested in finding a similar contrasty, vibrant sound signature.)

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #73,419 of 91,366
I'm looking at VE Aura, EE Raven, and Kinera Loki, wondering which would best complement my Mentor. Looking for a spacious and airy sound profile with great vocals (prioritizing higher female vocals). Not overly warm while retaining musical quality (very welcoming of a bright yet musical signature). I can tolerate a moderate amount of treble attenuation, as long as it doesn't alter the harmonic structure to the extent of creating unnatural tones (e.g., muted hi-hats or artificial-sounding violins).

The VE Aura, EE Raven, and Kinera Loki have been on the top of my list, but each had certain aspects that gave me pause (but not enough to eliminate from contention, unlike others). (Tbh, the PMG Audio Apx was regrettably crossed off due to its price point, considering that I could buy both the Abyss Diana MR and Meze Empyrean II with leftover funds.)

VE Aura: Reservations stemmed from @Rockwell75 's mention of its somewhat flat sound. This is a concern because I started noticing lack of depth/height after listening to the Mentor. Second, I wanted EST treble as its reputed for spacious and airy sound, whereas BA drivers are more reputed for clear, detailed, and vibrant treble (knowing there can be overlaps).

EE Raven: I was hesitant due to the reported midrange irregularity and the stairwell effect for voices highlighted by theheadphoneshow and the noticeable reduction in upper mids. Users said it was the bone conduction effect of the Raven.

Kinera Loki: It seems like the better alternative to the Annihilator with better comfort, bass, and mids (not sure if treble is on par with Annihilator but the Loki is the only one I've seen compared with the Annihilator in treble). My concern is reading that the bone conduction driver makes noises during male speech (I think mentioned by @Animagus). I'm concerned about buying a flagship priced IEM if it has an issue akin to a bug on the hardware side.

On the topic of treble vibrancy, is there an IEM considered a direct upgrade to the Anole VX's vibrant BA treble implementation? (specifically interested in finding a similar contrasty, vibrant sound signature.)
Get the Jewel šŸ’Ž šŸ˜„

Sounds like your describing it

Dec 13, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #73,420 of 91,366
Those are huge praises. Would love a more detailed comparison with the Grand Maestro. I love a subbass monster with great mids and seems to me that the GM and the Omnium are the only games in town (although I've already paid for the GM so I'm committed to it).

Itā€™s still quite different to the GM. I use GM almost exclusively with black module and vocal switch off because I like how it handles an aggressive V shaped sound. The Omnium sounds MUCH more like a neutral with sub bass boost sound. The mids are quite a bit more upfront than GM and the treble is ā€œless excitingā€ and more natural on the Omnium. The GM bass has more impact where Omnium feels a bit softer and more pillow-y, and focuses more on a very deep but generously elevated rumble instead.

I donā€™t really like using graphs to compare as itā€™s not always ideal but in this case it really showcases the differencesā€¦ as you can see both are tuned very well with big sub bass but the Omnium opens up the mids more within the signature whereas GM mids will start to sit behind the bass and treble lifts a tad. I think comparisons between something from ThieAudio and Omnium make more sense, or maybe Elysian Diva with less aggressive/forward upper mids and highs.

IMG_7808.jpeg

Dec 13, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #73,421 of 91,366

VE Aura: Reservations stemmed from @Rockwell75 's mention of its somewhat flat sound. This is a concern because I started noticing lack of depth/height after listening to the Mentor. Second, I wanted EST treble as its reputed for spacious and airy sound, whereas BA drivers are more reputed for clear, detailed, and vibrant treble (knowing there can be overlaps).

Actually I would not really consider any of the IEMā€™s in this list airy.

Dec 13, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #73,422 of 91,366
Get the Jewel šŸ’Ž šŸ˜„

Sounds like your describing it
Was looking at Jewel but encountered general conflicting opinions on it, including its treble. What about Fei Wan? (I admit I crossed Fei Wan off because of the flashy shell)
Actually I would not really consider any of the IEMā€™s in this list airy.
Thanks! That was good to know (PMG Audio Apx not included right?)
I used to get Annihilator recommendations for airy IEM. Is Loki different or those recs were wrong?

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #73,423 of 91,366
YMMV (and your eartips will too) but having heard the Omnium UIEM I think it broadly has a Storm-y flavour and FR.

A mild-neutral-V with the Storm having better resolved bass and mids. I'm speaking very nebulously.

Itā€™s still quite different to the GM. I use GM almost exclusively with black module and vocal switch off because I like how it handles an aggressive V shaped sound. The Omnium sounds MUCH more like a neutral with sub bass boost sound. The mids are quite a bit more upfront than GM and the treble is ā€œless excitingā€ and more natural on the Omnium. The GM bass has more impact where Omnium feels a bit softer and more pillow-y, and focuses more on a very deep but generously elevated rumble instead.

I donā€™t really like using graphs to compare as itā€™s not always ideal but in this case it really showcases the differencesā€¦ as you can see both are tuned very well with big sub bass but the Omnium opens up the mids more within the signature whereas GM mids will start to sit behind the bass and treble lifts a tad. I think comparisons between something from ThieAudio and Omnium make more sense, or maybe Elysian Diva with less aggressive/forward upper mids and highs.

Dec 13, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #73,424 of 91,366

VE Aura: Reservations stemmed from @Rockwell75 's mention of its somewhat flat sound. This is a concern because I started noticing lack of depth/height (of other IEMs) after listening to the Mentor. Second, I wanted EST treble as its reputed for spacious and airy sound, whereas BA drivers are more reputed for clear, detailed, and vibrant treble (knowing there can be overlaps).

Anni or Viking Ragnar?

Dec 13, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #73,425 of 91,366
YMMV (and your eartips will too) but having heard the Omnium UIEM I think it broadly has a Storm-y flavour and FR.

A mild-neutral-V with the Storm having better resolved bass and mids. I'm speaking very nebulously.

Yes I agree! Storm definitely has the edge in resolution and I donā€™t even need them side by side to know that one haha. I do feel the Omnium crosses a threshold of ā€œX amount of technicalsā€ to where I donā€™t feel I need anymore, or at least I am not missing anything when I listen to them.

When I first heard the Storm it felt ā€œplainā€ because the tuning is just very good and familiar, and thatā€™s how I feel about the Omnium but I love my bass, so the Omnium sub bass elevation/DD gives it a bit of extra energy down low for me to offset the overall neutrality of the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back