The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 20, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #71,011 of 93,307
Randomly find these Artist when I read article on Stereophile.com and I think I found a treasure 😁
Will search for her album or maybe anybody here has a recommendation which album should I pick? TIA 🙏

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231120-205459_TIDAL_1.jpg
    Screenshot_20231120-205459_TIDAL_1.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #71,012 of 93,307
Different hobby/industry, but probably the same sticker price shock if we were to try the same. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am just surprised he was in good physical shape to complete and edit the video after telling her about $7K camera.

Nov 20, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #71,013 of 93,307
Randomly find these Artist when I read article on Stereophile.com and I think I found a treasure 😁
Will search for her album or maybe anybody here has a recommendation which album shoul I pick? TIA 🙏
Just get "The Very Best of Roberta Flack" (2006). You can't go wrong! Such a beautiful, velvety voice.

Nov 20, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #71,014 of 93,307
Hi Coolers! :)

today I went to the prerelease even for the ibasso DC Elite dongle at one of the local audio shops.
It’s supposed to be a miniaturized version of the 320 Max, and I must say it absolutely rocks!
I didn’t actually A/B against 320 Max (I could though if anyone is interested) but I compared to L&P W2, W4 and Ifi Go Bar Gold and this DC elite absolutely destroyed them all! That’s full size DAP level of performance! No kidding!
I already found that Gold Bar was amazing, but while comparing to my LP6, it was clear that wasn’t in the same league. Here I A/B tested extensively LP6 against DC Elite, and it pains me to say it, but I feel that dongle was actually playing with the big boys and wasn’t shying away! I don’t mean to overdo it and use big words and all, but I’m really impressed by what ibasso managed to achieve here! I’m even more surprised, because I typically am not a huge fan of ibasso’s house sound, which I generally find a bit too dry and analytical (not so much for the Max versions though). In the case of DC elite I found the sound still extremely detailed, but quite organic at the same time with excellent bass foundations, super tight and rumbly. In some ways it was challenging LP6 Gold , one of the bass gods, on its own turf!
soundstage and separation is also top notch!
Also, it could drive with no problems Anni 23 and Simphonio P0 that are pretty demanding sets. It did much better with P0 than the Gold bar, which is quite powerful in itself.

Anyway, I personally think that’s the current king of dongle by quite some margin and it’s such a no brainer at that price that I ordered one. I should be receiving my unit next week so I can share more if you guys are interested!
If you’re in the market for something compact that kicks like a mule, with top SQ, I highly recommend it! :)

Here are some pictures I took in the shop :

IMG_3917.jpeg
IMG_3918.jpegIMG_3919.jpegIMG_3920.jpeg

Cheers friends! :)

Julien

EDIT : also, I forgot to mention one thing that bothered me a little about the DC Elite though. The volume knob only has 24 steps which means you can find yourself wanting the volume level right in between those steps… And second little annoying thing about this volume knob is that it cuts the sound when you pass from 1 step to the other… Not a deal breaker for me personally, but it’s important to note!
IF this sounds like a mini 320Max, I want it. If it has a 24 step attenuating, I want it less. The thing that annoys you about it is exactly what annoys me about the 320Max. Not sure why they opted for that approach. Does anybody like it?

Nov 20, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #71,015 of 93,307
Will search for her album or maybe anybody here has a recommendation which album shoul I pick? TIA 🙏
She is a legend

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 20, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #71,017 of 93,307
IF this sounds like a mini 320Max, I want it. If it has a 24 step attenuating, I want it less. The thing that annoys you about it is exactly what annoys me about the 320Max. Not sure why they opted for that approach. Does anybody like it?
I'm not a fan of the stepped attenuator on the 320max either, I put up with it (along with other things: size, sluggish UI, lack of double tap to wake, the two charging ports) because I like the 320max sound :joy:

Nov 20, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #71,019 of 93,307
It turns out I'm a sucker for these superdongles. I barely use my DAPs anymore because they get so close in sound to them and are more portable... So that is to say I'm extremely hyped for the DC Elite and will probably end up jumping on one eventually.

My headphone/IEM comparison experience has turned out to be very challenging. There are various aspects of the respective experiences that feel simultaneously too obvious and too indescribable. For example, the fact that my cheeks literally vibrate with good headphone subbass is an obvious difference, but the way in which this affects my enjoyment of the sound is very hard to put into words besides that. In part this is because, despite the literal cheek-jiggling, somehow the Trifecta rattle the inside of my skull harder, which leaves my poor brain very confused! Another example is soundstage. I wouldn't necessarily say that the headphones I've tried have an obviously larger soundstage (at least laterally and vertically). Traillii makes tracks feel extremely spacious, as does the Meze Elite*. However, it's like my subjective experiences of this "spaciousness" quality are just fundamentally different. To say a cliche, yes the IEM soundstage feels "inside my head" but no less 3D, and headphones feel more "room-like" in presentation. I think someone more talented than me should give this type of comparison a shot... I tried and failed!

*I ended up moving up to the Meze Elite from the Empyrean because the latter's bass presentation made it a little less versatile than I hoped, but now I feel somewhat settled with my cans, which I do absolutely love.

Nov 20, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #71,020 of 93,307
It turns out I'm a sucker for these superdongles. I barely use my DAPs anymore because they get so close in sound to them and are more portable... So that is to say I'm extremely hyped for the DC Elite and will probably end up jumping on one eventually.

My headphone/IEM comparison experience has turned out to be very challenging. There are various aspects of the respective experiences that feel simultaneously too obvious and too indescribable. For example, the fact that my cheeks literally vibrate with good headphone subbass is an obvious difference, but the way in which this affects my enjoyment of the sound is very hard to put into words besides that. In part this is because, despite the literal cheek-jiggling, somehow the Trifecta rattle the inside of my skull harder, which leaves my poor brain very confused! Another example is soundstage. I wouldn't necessarily say that the headphones I've tried have an obviously larger soundstage (at least laterally and vertically). Traillii makes tracks feel extremely spacious, as does the Meze Elite*. However, it's like my subjective experiences of this "spaciousness" quality are just fundamentally different. To say a cliche, yes the IEM soundstage feels "inside my head" but no less 3D, and headphones feel more "room-like" in presentation. I think someone more talented than me should give this type of comparison a shot... I tried and failed!

*I ended up moving up to the Meze Elite from the Empyrean because the latter's bass presentation made it a little less versatile than I hoped, but now I feel somewhat settled with my cans, which I do absolutely love.
I'll have to try Elite later. Initially I want to get it, but after reading Caldera review from @betula , I end up picking it plus the shop owner give me an irresistible offer which is a limited Caldera Cocobolo. There's only Empy OG on his shop but I haven't try it yet. If I want to try Elite, I need to borrow the shop owner private collection but I have a limited time so I miss that opportunity. I hope I didn't pick a wrong choice, but one thing for sure is I prefer a rare wood than a metal on the Meze's 😁

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #71,021 of 93,307
I'll have to try Elite later. Initially I want to get it, but after reading Caldera review from @betula , I end up picking it plus the shop owner give me an irresistible offer which is a limited Caldera Cocobolo. There only Empy OG on his shop but I haven't try it yet. If I want to try Elite, I need to borrow the shop owner private collection but I have a limited time so I miss that opportunity. I hope I didn't pick a wrong choice, but one thing for sure is I prefer a rare wood than a metal on the Meze's 😁
I get the sense that you can't go wrong with either :) I also considered the Caldera but I was just able to find a deal that shaved off a good chunk of the price of the Elite. I've been trying to learn to not over-optimize for small differences... Especially as the total value of my collection has gone well into the 5 digits!

Nov 20, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #71,022 of 93,307
No really, it is also extremely annoying for me.

Nov 20, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #71,023 of 93,307
I get the sense that you can't go wrong with either :) I also considered the Caldera but I was just able to find a deal that shaved off a good chunk of the price of the Elite. I've been trying to learn to not over-optimize for small differences... Especially as the total value of my collection has gone well into the 5 digits!
I want to sum how much I've spend on this hobby but I think I'm not brave enough 🤣
But I guess it's still around 5 digits too. I don't want to find out if actually I spend more than that 🤪

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #71,024 of 93,307
I want to sum how much I've spend on this hobby but I think I'm not brave enough 🤣
But I think it's still around 5 digits too. I don't want to find out if actually I spend more than that 🤪
Five digits easily lol

Nov 20, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #71,025 of 93,307
It because of the customs on my country 😂
The detail is like this :
2 pairs of baroque : 48 usd
Delivery : 40 usd (DHL express)
Customs : 69.91 usd
My usual dealer doesn't want to order Baroque because Eric ask them to take minimum 1000 pair or else he won't give them the stuff ☹️
So in the end I order it directly from the eletech website and end up paying that much. Ouchie indeed 😵
You could have sent them an email and ask to bring a set to CJ SG, but it's a long wait. Perhaps a good idea to prepare a shopping list anyway as there's some great shops.

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back