The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 27, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #68,641 of 90,424
Something strange going on with Tidal updates. On my M9 I don't see the bitrate info, it still says 'MAX'. The app is version 2.91.etc. It was last updated on Oct 18. On my 300MAX I do get the bitrate info. The app version is 2.92.etc. but it was last updated on Oct 7. So a later version but older? Very weird. On neither device there are updates available, I checked. Maybe I should delete the app and reinstall it.
I installed the latest version 2.93.0 earlier: https://m.apkpure.com/tidal-music-hifi-playlists/com.aspiro.tidal. It looks like the SP3000 is not fully compatible with 24bit. The device only specifies 16bit. The same message can be found in the A&K thread.

I'm also testing Qobuz right now besides Apple Music and Tidal. Qobuz has less albums unfortunately, and the UI is quite bad, so it's out of the question for me. Between Apple Music and Tidal, well I wrote here the other day that I feel like Tidal's sound quality is a little better. I also said that it could be imagination / placebo. I'm not so sure now. I guess there is no difference, but if someone could say something about it, it would be great. Other than that, Tidal's recs are ultimately not that good, and Apple Music works more reliably everywhere - as expected from Apple.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #68,642 of 90,424
Oct 27, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #68,643 of 90,424
Came across these on the Noble gallery. Thought the color combination was beautiful.

jarrett-3-1-DuY.jpg

Oct 27, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #68,644 of 90,424
Something strange going on with Tidal updates. On my M9 I don't see the bitrate info, it still says 'MAX'. The app is version 2.91.etc. It was last updated on Oct 18. On my 300MAX I do get the bitrate info. The app version is 2.92.etc. but it was last updated on Oct 7. So a later version but older? Very weird. On neither device there are updates available, I checked. Maybe I should delete the app and reinstall it.

Ja, 2.91 on Android shows FLAC 48Khz playback on my RS8, N30LE, P8 Pro and v2.93 MAX/24bit 48 FLAC on my S23U/Fold5/15 Pro Max. You can toggle between MAX and bitrate info on v2.93.

Oct 27, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #68,646 of 90,424
https://majorhifi.com/campfire-audio-bonneville-review/

Quite tempted to pick one up given my love of the Solaris line.
I read that review yesterday. There are definitely some things that resonate with me in that review, and a few that dont. A little "concerned" that it did feel kind of overpositive in places to still only get silver in their ranking system. But my pair arrives tomorrow. I am excited, but trying to keep my expectations in check so that if its not the most amazing or doesnt fit well or whatever, I wont be too disappointed.

Oct 27, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #68,647 of 90,424
The Spinfit Omni have arrived. These are really soft to the touch. It’s the softest texture that I’ve felt on an ear tip. The nozzle bit does seem a little small to my eyes although I don’t think that this comes across in the photo. I haven’t tried them yet but I think I read that they stretch quite well.

IMG_2633.jpeg
IMG_2634.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #68,648 of 90,424
You mean the IEM with a fast food cafeteria table as its faceplate? 🤭

IMG_0039.jpeg
I should have known to keep quiet with you around... 😅

Cafeteria table, Bugatti Veyron...take your pick 🤭 The fine folks at Rolex might also know a thing or two about perlage 😉

img_2269.jpg

Oct 27, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #68,649 of 90,424
I have been spending the day enjoying the Fei Wan, immediately when I heard it it gave me RN6-ish vibes. It’s not hard to visualize here why I got those feelings.

IMG_7163.jpeg

The Fei Wan takes that similar sound and I think polishes it up. I much prefer the warmer upper mids on Fei Wan as it comes off more coherent to me with the thicker lower mid range, where I heard RN6 to come off a tad spicy. Also the Fei Wan technicals are quite a step up above RN6 to my ears. I do however prefer the RN6 use of an EST driver for treble extension whereas Fei Wan uses BA highs. The BA highs on Fei Wan coupled with that much air give it a bit of a thicker/rounder type airy sound which takes some getting used to coming from EST treble IEMs, it doesn’t sound as defined in this region. The dual DD configuration in Fei Wan is also more textured and dynamic than the single DD from RN6, which I find noticeable in the sub bass, but again I am going from memory here with the same test tracks. This is about as good as I’ve heard this “thicker, analogue, but exciting” sound signature.

Now I’m going to spend the weekend deciding if I want these as a CIEM or not. I am trying to approach new CIEM buys with a much more calculated process rather than just buying in custom fit like I was. They fit me great and I love the baroque tips. However, Aroma has an amazing reshell policy. As of this moment I do plan to get these as a custom fit with the exact same design as universal, I might see if they can change the logo color to blue instead of purple. If not though, I like them as is with this design.

I’m looking forward to others impressions on this set as time passes. I find them quite tip sensitive which is something I didn’t have time to discover during my audition. The Eletech baroques sound wonderful on them and keep the bore completely open and unobstructed.

Hows the resolution vs Jewel?

Oct 27, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #68,650 of 90,424
As good as some people's memories may be, the only comparisons I find useful are those based on direct comparison.

Oct 27, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #68,651 of 90,424
Hows the resolution vs Jewel?

I sold my Jewel almost a year ago so it’s been a while. For starters the Fei Wan is quite a bit more analogue sounding than Jewel, and I suspect the low mid boost on Fei Wan will change some listeners perception of resolution and detail as it can sound “muddy” compared to the flatter lower mid range of Jewel. The Jewel mids sound lighter and cleaner whereas Fei Wan is more bold and weighted. With these tuning differences aside I do not feel wanting for more resolution on Fei Wan given the sound signature, and I never felt that way about Jewel either. I hope this helps. The Fei Wan treble on the other hand is quite a bit more detailed and dynamic than Jewel, it’s much more elevated and up front whereas Jewel will be more out of head and softer/laid back.

As good as some people's memories may be, the only comparisons I find useful are those based on direct comparison.

I mean that’s totally fine and you or anyone else don’t have to take what I say as useful just because I don’t have the sets side by side to compare, but I’ll continue to try be helpful to others where I feel confident. I’ve not answered questions based on memory where I didn’t feel comfortable answering them.

Oct 27, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #68,652 of 90,424
Agreed. As I am sure you know, musical memory lasts seconds, maybe a few minutes at most. Impressions are remembered. However key details as in one IEM hit harder on the bass notes of XYZ track have to be directly compared. Even if done an hour later they will most likely not be correct. Luckily IEM’s are potable allowing us to make direct, immediate comparisons at events like CanJam.

Oct 27, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #68,653 of 90,424
Ja, 2.91 on Android shows FLAC 48Khz playback on my RS8, N30LE, P8 Pro and v2.93 MAX/24bit 48 FLAC on my S23U/Fold5/15 Pro Max. You can toggle between MAX and bitrate info on v2.93.
I am hoping since every update that Tidal shows album art besides the track title in playlists.
It would be much more easier to navigate in playlist if there were the album art available.
Every streaming provider has that. But Tidal, nope, we dont do that!

Oct 27, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #68,654 of 90,424
I mean that’s totally fine and you or anyone else don’t have to take what I say as useful just because I don’t have the sets side by side to compare, but I’ll continue to try be helpful to others where I feel confident. I’ve not answered questions based on memory where I didn’t feel comfortable answering them.
Your comparison is really based on impressions which are remembered. Specific details are what we cannot reliably remember ( meaning the drum hit at 2:00 in on XYZ song was close but had more detail on IEM A. However and IEM perceived to lack bass or having an analog sound you like is really your impression and that is remembered).

And as I have complimented you before, even though I may disagree with your overall evaluations, your descriptions are awfully accurate. More so than most reviewers for sure.

Oct 27, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #68,655 of 90,424
Your comparison is really based on impressions which are remembered. Specific details are what we cannot reliably remember ( meaning the drum hit at 2:00 in on XYZ song was close but had more detail on IEM A. However and IEM perceived to lack bass or having an analog sound you like is really your impression and that is remembered).

And as I have complimented you before, even though I may disagree with your overall evaluations, your descriptions are awfully accurate. More so than most reviewers for sure.

Yeah but I am purposely leaving them very general and broad rather than going into specific details for this exact reason.

I don't think I've ever made a comparison between two IEMs where I didn't have both side by side and tried to say something like "the drum hit at 2:00 in on XYZ song was close but had more detail on IEM A", even if I did have them side by side I tend to not go into that much detail to begin with.

On the flip side, show floor demo units and constantly listening to different sets within minutes of each other isn't exactly an ideal way to test IEMs either.

I guess I just find it a little disheartening, especially in this thread of all places, that just because some people don't have access to 20 TOTL IEMs for comparisons at all times that their impressions can be considered useless.

At the end of the day I'll keep sharing my own thoughts if someone asks me to and I feel I can give an honest answer, and if people find it useful that's great, if they find them useless that is also okay too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back