The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 4, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #65,581 of 90,606
You own the Fei Wan?

Impressions please! 🙏🏻
Yup, I wrote something last week in Aroma thread😉

IMG_8625.jpeg

Oct 4, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #65,582 of 90,606
Question to the round.... Would anyone be able to assess / indicate the possible difference between the two in the following use case?

External DAP –> LO 4.4mm –> Astell&Kern CA1000T in Tube mode

Compared to

External DAP –> LO 4.4mm –> Cayin C9 in Tube mode

Being both Korg NuTube capable amps, I would be interested in sonic differences between the two setups. I am interested in getting a Cayin C9 but am not sure how much added value it would give 🤔

Oct 4, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #65,583 of 90,606
1. Trifecta - engulfing sound, not just one trick bass iem.
2. Phönix OG - lush and musical, will never get tired of it (cant wait for Aura)
3. Rn6 - amazing allrounder (though thinking of letting it go, Trifecta + 1 is enough)

Oct 4, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #65,584 of 90,606
IMG_3531.jpg
IMG_3535.jpg

IMG_3532.jpg

Fresh from landing in Singapore from CanJam Socal, met up with @AegisYeo from FatFreq to collect my MSE customs then to have lunch followed by dessert with him. Initial impressions are that customs sound slightly different from universals and I am liking it. Will be writing more about the comparisons in sound between MSE universals and customs, the process of making customs and which I prefer!

The dessert though is to die for. What you are looking at is coconut pandan waffle with cookies and cream, and madagascar vanilla and biscoff ice-cream available at Only Creamery @ Temple Street, Singapore.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #65,586 of 90,606
Reading these top threes I feel a bit like the poor cousin everyone humours 😂

Oct 4, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #65,587 of 90,606
1-Oriolus Traillii
2-Aür Audio Neon Pro
3-Penon Serial

Oct 4, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #65,589 of 90,606
Early days for me but it's a stunningly beautiful pairup. I haven't heard the 21 Anni since I owned it last year and from memory the 23 seems to fix what was the only real issue with that IEM-- the bass. Previously it was what I would call "minimally acceptable" but here it's something of a highlight. Tighter, better extended, more present. Annihilator doesn't "need" lots of power but it sure does benefit from it. Trhough the RS8 on high gain/turbo it makes for a hell of an experience. RS8 has a really natural, analogue, authoritative yet liquid tonality that suits this IEM like a charm.

In other news we're two weeks into fall and two days past CanJam SoCal-- it's time for our seasonal 3 IEMs that own your heart at this moment poll. I'm not looking for your all time favorite 3 or anything (though of course you can submit those if you want). This poll is more meant to take the temp of the Watercooler at this moment in time.

Go!
Xe6
Anni23
Diva23

Oct 4, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #65,590 of 90,606
IMG_3531.jpgIMG_3535.jpg
IMG_3532.jpg
Fresh from landing in Singapore from CanJam Socal, met up with Yeo from FatFreq to collect my MSE customs then to have lunch followed by dessert with him. Initial impressions are that customs sound slightly different from universals and I am liking it. Will be writing more about the comparisons in sound between MSE universals and customs, the process of making customs and which I prefer!

The dessert though is to die for. What you are looking at is coconut pandan waffle with cookies and cream, and madagascar vanilla and biscoff ice-cream available at Only Creamery @ Temple Street, Singapore.
Beautiful design mate. Spot on. Happy for you

Oct 4, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #65,591 of 90,606
Followed by one of the longest gear lists in Head-Fi history…😜
Quantity over Quality 😂 it's been a long journey with many deviations from the logical path added to my horder tendencies being unable to part with anything

Oct 4, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #65,592 of 90,606
In other news we're two weeks into fall and two days past CanJam SoCal-- it's time for our seasonal 3 IEMs that own your heart at this moment poll. I'm not looking for your all time favorite 3 or anything (though of course you can submit those if you want). This poll is more meant to take the temp of the Watercooler at this moment in time.
I don't have a collection of IEMs, like many of you.
So I can only mention 2
Aroma Jewel (used with suitable cables and sources, they fear no one, if you love a natural, musical and balanced sound).
Aroma Thunder (they sound great, dynamic and balanced. IEM very underrated)

Oct 4, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #65,594 of 90,606
1. RN6 CIEM
2. Noble Ronin Prestige +
3. 64 Audio A18s CIEM

Oct 4, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #65,595 of 90,606
The 3 IEMs that won my heart currently (not necessarily my all time favorites) in no particular order:

Annihilator 2023 : extremely detailed and fun tuning with great tonality, without ever sounding thin or aggressive. Nice bass quantity but can be a bit wooly compared to some other summit fi iems.

Simphonio P0 : very well balanced tuning with excellent vocals (especially female), nice analog feel, superb planar bass quality with good quantity and top notch soundstage size and realism.

Canpur 622B : one of the most accomplished set throughout the FR from a tuning and technical point of view. It’s actually hard to define it! Nothing really stands out but everything is of the highest level.

Fitear DC Ti : a little bit the same observation then CP 622B! Top through and through! Just with different tuning and overall presentation.

Yeah… I know… it’s 4, but I couldn’t narrow it down to 3… :D
Too many outstanding sets we have right now!

Cheers,

Julien.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back