The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 16, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #64,501 of 88,549
Sound Rhyme DTE900 landed… very good initial impressions, ticking the most important boxes for me: somewhat neutral with bass boost, clarity, good detail and stage size - nothing harsh to report either… no upper mid eardrum slashes. Not unlike Camelot, possibly a baby Camelot.

IMG_7534.jpeg

Sep 16, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #64,502 of 88,549
One thing I’ve learned though is that IEMs with electrostatic drivers especially benefit from amping. You’d be surprised by how much better the Ragnar sounds through a Mass Kobo 475 or Tsuranagi. (I can say that for all my IEMs, but probably the Ragnar especially)
I do genuinely appreciate the advice, I’ve even had some of the same thoughts about amping.
But, SP3k & VR have a resonance that is specific to that chain, I genuinely feel the resonance deep within me.

Sep 16, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #64,503 of 88,549
IMG_8667.jpeg

My Valentinum case arrived today for my ALO CDM! Snug fit and made very well. Super happy with it. Mass Kobo 475 case should be arriving any day now!
Great case. It looks really nice. I wanted to buy it, but I thought it would be too bulky. So now I'm using a custom case for the CDM and the source as well.
What tubes do you use with CDM? In this pic looks like stock?

Sep 16, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #64,504 of 88,549
Nice color! :) Do you hear any noise using the CDM with IEMs?
It depends on many factors. Obviously the gain level, but also the tubes used, as well as the IEMs. If it is something sensitive, then there will be noise. Then you need iFi IEMatch. When it is a model that does not have a significant noise level, the combo does not need anything else and responds well to changing tubes. For example, combo with Supermoon is very great.

Sep 16, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #64,505 of 88,549
Great case. It looks really nice. I wanted to buy it, but I thought it would be too bulky. So now I'm using a custom case for the CDM and the source as well.
What tubes do you use with CDM? In this pic looks like stock?
Hey! Thanks ☺️ Yes just stock tubes. I have some others but have not tried tube rolling it yet as I have been enjoying the stock tubes.

What does your case look like?

Sep 16, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #64,506 of 88,549
Hey! Thanks ☺️ Yes just stock tubes. I have some others but have not tried tube rolling it yet as I have been enjoying the stock tubes.

What does your case look like?
My case looks like this. This is one case for two devices - the CDM and the player, so there is no need to use rubber ties for fastening.
Screenshot_20230917_031030.jpg

Sep 16, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #64,507 of 88,549
My case looks like this. This is one case for two devices - the CDM and the player, so there is no need to use rubber ties for fastening.Screenshot_20230917_031030.jpg
Awesome case! I got an old CDM I haven’t used for years. Maybe I’ll send it in for repair and start using again.
I would like to get a trifecta custom iem but they don’t make them. They make supermoon custom. Do you know if they sound similar?

Sep 16, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #64,508 of 88,549
I’m thinking about moving in from the 64 Audio U12t and I’m interested in the Annihilator 2023. Unfortunately, it’s virtually impossible to find short of flying to CanJam which can cost as much as the IEM itself. Can anyone comment on the Annihilator’s fit? I understand the shells are very large.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #64,509 of 88,549
I’m thinking about moving in from the 64 Audio U12t and I’m interested in the Annihilator 2023. Unfortunately, it it’s virtually impossible to find short of flying to CanJam which can cost as much as the IEM itself. Can anyone comment on the Annihilator’s fit? I understand the shells are very large.
Have you tried the A18s? I think you might really like it. :)

Kidding aside I have preordered the Annihilator but can’t comment on this yet. Plenty here seem to have them so they should be able to answer your question.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #64,510 of 88,549
Have you tried the A18s? I think you might really like it. :)

Kidding aside I have preordered the Annihilator but can’t comment on this yet. Plenty here seem to have them so they should be able to answer your question.
I sold my A18s and hopefully the third-party company the buyer used for the reshell did everyone a favor and destroyed them in the process.

Looking forward to your Annihilator 2023 impressions.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #64,511 of 88,549
I’m thinking about moving in from the 64 Audio U12t and I’m interested in the Annihilator 2023. Unfortunately, it it’s virtually impossible to find short of flying to CanJam which can cost as much as the IEM itself. Can anyone comment on the Annihilator’s fit? I understand the shells are very large.
The shells and nozzles are quite large, especially coming from the U12t. The shells are fairly ergonomic and lightweight though.

The fit is roughly similar to some of the Monarch IEMs, especially the Monarch 3.

Sep 16, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #64,512 of 88,549
The shells and nozzles are quite large, especially coming from the U12t. The shells are fairly ergonomic and lightweight though.

The fit is roughly similar to some of the Monarch IEMs, especially the Monarch 3.
Few IEM matches U12t comfort, IMHO. Maybe IE900 and IE600 come close, but I have the most difficult time getting them to seal consistently.

Sep 16, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #64,513 of 88,549
Few IEM matches U12t comfort, IMHO. Maybe IE900 and IE600 come close, but I have the most difficult time getting them to seal consistently.
IE600 at least (probably same with 900) need 3rd party tips and cable. The stock ones are absolutely atrocious. The tips are way too thin to ever seal properly if they're even slightly off from the size of your ear canal (which they always will be). And the cable ear hooks hurt the fit more than they help and they're super microphonic to boot.

Most cables that fit should be fine, and I've had good luck with Final Audio E Types.

Once you fix all, that, yea they're one of the most comfortable IEMs I've tried.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #64,514 of 88,549
What are some recommended tips for the ie900 then? @Murphity

I'm new to the IEM game, but I can definately tell I'm having troubles with getting a realiable seal on the ie900 and I keep bouncing back and fourth between tip sizes. I see a lot of people already had alternative tips in their collection, but I'm new to this game. Maybe I should buy like 3 alternative and well liked tips?

Sep 17, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #64,515 of 88,549
What are some recommended tips for the ie900 then? @Murphity

I'm new to the IEM game, but I can definately tell I'm having troubles with getting a realiable seal on the ie900 and I keep bouncing back and fourth between tip sizes. I see a lot of people already had alternative tips in their collection, but I'm new to this game. Maybe I should buy like 3 alternative and well liked tips?
I personally had good luck with the Final Audio E Types and didn't end up trying many others. Moondrop Spring tips were too short.

But I think the usual suspects would be a good starting point. SpinFit, Azla, Final wouldn't be bad as a starter collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back