The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 1, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #54,346 of 90,288
I still low-key hate the module system. I think the concept is brilliant, but I get so wary handling parts that small. At anything other than my work desk under a bright fluorescent lamp I'd be terrified of losing them. I'd certainly love to see a plug and play system down the line, or a way of simply tightening or loosening a pre-installed module to alter isolation/bass. Not sure if that'd even be possible from an engineering perspective.

I hated them too in the beginning especially with Xe6’s highly polished gold colored SS shells and have a module tool scratch to remind me.

Could be me but Rn6’s XS module swap feels easier and noted at least when my kit, FiR made small QOL improvements from removing the module tray stored in the case, removing modules from the tray and receiving pipe in the shell, more contrasting module color and blackhard anodized ALU LE UIEM shell.

I posted a quick module swap video here and in FiR thread. Just spread a large microfiber cloth on the desk.

Expanding your idea of tightening/loosening a module to control isolation/bass, FiR could design a miniaturized, externally integrated “aperture” control with 4 predefined stops like a f-stop control on a camera lens/body (9-blade for giggles). Just turn the knob 🤭

PS free FiRs🌲 for Coolers if this ever comes true 😉

Apr 1, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #54,348 of 90,288
I hated them too in the beginning especially with Xe6’s highly polished gold colored SS shells and have a module tool scratch to remind me.

Could be me but Rn6’s XS module swap feels easier and noted at least when my kit, FiR made small QOL improvements from removing the module tray stored in the case, removing modules from the tray and receiving pipe in the shell, more contrasting module color and blackhard anodized ALU LE UIEM shell.

I posted a quick module swap video here and in FiR thread. Just spread a large microfiber cloth on the desk.

Expanding your idea of tightening/loosening a module to control isolation/bass, FiR could design a miniaturized, externally integrated “aperture” control with 4 predefined stops like a f-stop control on a camera lens/body (9-blade for giggles). Just turn the knob 🤭

...switched to the gold. Better, bassier, but yeah, definitely still not the xe6. Different animal but the clarity is there. Sub bass without the mid bass.

Apr 1, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #54,351 of 90,288

I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I might actually have to dial the bass back. The gold is fun but a little fatiguing. The atom module tech definitely works, but I think silver or black might be my sweet spot.

Apr 1, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #54,353 of 90,288
My first time with Fir so can't compare the Rn6 to Xe6, however I am preferring them with the gold thingy, slightly warmer sound

Apr 1, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #54,354 of 90,288
Go black. Black atoms matter.

drftr
I think the bigger thing is fit. The stock tips didn't do it for me, but azla sednas fit really well and I'm liking the increased soundstage. Black are what, the medium bass response modules? Think those might just be the ones.

Apr 1, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #54,356 of 90,288
I think the bigger thing is fit. The stock tips didn't do it for me, but azla sednas fit really well and I'm liking the increased soundstage. Black are what, the medium bass response modules? Think those might just be the ones.

Ja, same. Initially stock Symbios (M) weren't horribad but a little loose and sizing up to L, they were uncomfortable for long listening. SpinFit W1, Acoustune AEX07, and SpiralDots++ provided the best fit for my ears while maintaining Rn6's tuning. SednaEarFit Shorts (black, blue core) and EarFitLight Shorts (translucent, blue core) were also comfortable but sounded average and forward. Xelastics dialed up vocal presence a bit much for me.

Module isolation and bass perceptions values haven't changed, eg Xe6, silver is default and neutral, and ja, black could be considered light or medium:
  • Isolation: + (Yellow): 17dB
  • Isolation: N (Silver): 15dB
  • Isolation: - (Black): 13dB
  • Isolation: O (Red): 10dB
  • Bass Perception: + (Yellow): +2dB @ 20Hz
  • Bass Perception: N (Silver): as per IEM default tuning
  • Bass Perception: - (Black): -2dB @ 20Hz
  • Bass Perception: O (Red): -4dB @ 20Hz

Apr 1, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #54,357 of 90,288
Ja, same. Initially stock Symbios (M) weren't horribad but a little loose and sizing up to L, they were uncomfortable for long listening. SpinFit W1, Acoustune AEX07, and SpiralDots++ provided the best fit for my ears while maintaining Rn6's tuning. SednaEarFit Shorts (black, blue core) and EarFitLight Shorts (translucent, blue core) were also comfortable but sounded average and forward. Xelastics dialed up vocal presence a bit much for me.

Module isolation and bass perceptions values haven't changed, eg Xe6, silver is default and neutral, and ja, black could be considered light or medium:
  • Isolation: + (Yellow): 17dB
  • Isolation: N (Silver): 15dB
  • Isolation: - (Black): 13dB
  • Isolation: O (Red): 10dB
  • Bass Perception: + (Yellow): +2dB @ 20Hz
  • Bass Perception: N (Silver): as per IEM default tuning
  • Bass Perception: - (Black): -2dB @ 20Hz
  • Bass Perception: O (Red): -4dB @ 20Hz
Tip selection for Rn6 was a bit of a pain for me to get the correct fit...and I landed on Spiral Dots++ as well but in a size I don't usually use. Azla Xeleastec worked as well but took a hit on the tonality.

Apr 1, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #54,358 of 90,288
I have fairly small ears/canals and, while the Ragnar have a relatively deep insertion (very similar to the Indigos, but without the UM twist on filters which often poke even through tips) they never became irritating and were not pushed out (something I experience regularly with the Odins, it's a fight between getting a good seal or having bass attenuated to death by improper seal). The shell fits perfectly in my ear, very similar to the indigo shape and fit, with almost no protrusion when fully/properly inserted. With the Azla Crystal SS tips they did take a mild bit of twisting to get in, but once in, they stayed and were comfortable as long as you don't push too far, a common problem for me with the Azla tips since they are wide bore, is they can sometimes expose a bit of the IEM nozzle if pushed too far without a proper twisting motion.
I had written off the Ragnar due to my history of fit issues with Noble IEMs (and metal-bodied IEMs in general; I prefer the seal of acrylic IEMs), but after reading your comparison with the Indigo which fits me really well, I may have to give them another look. I also experienced similar issues with Odin as well. Thanks for pulling me back in. :head_bandage::slight_smile:

Apr 1, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #54,359 of 90,288
Instead it was your wife trying to hack the servers, trying to keep your nose away from the shopping window. Good news: She failed! Your hobby is safe...
Wait till she hears about the FTS, Zillion Sheep and M5 on my want list 😂

@aaf evo I didn't need to know that Rn6 exists in custom form. LA LA LA LAAAAAAAA

Shipping has been wonky.

I ordered a TPU case off Amazon a week ago, suppose to arrive yesterday but somehow has vanished into the either.

Of course that was the plan since the Benks case and screen protector off ebay was suppose to arrive mid April from China. Somehow it went through a chinese courier to Canada Post and arrived before Amazon from the US.

Meanwhile DHL's transporters seem to be glitching. Yatono sitting in Cinncinati for 36 hours at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back