The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 27, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #47,416 of 88,428
Happy belated new year everyone,

It’s been a while since the last time I’ve read through some posts and posted some thoughts & impressions here, as life at work and spending some time with family have been busier than usual for the past few months.
headfi-beenawhileforpastfewmonths-0127.jpg

Aside from the usual, not much has happened outside of work and family, as something work-related almost always comes around the corner and takes most of my time during the day until early evening hours.

On Thursday evening (1/27), I took some time after a long busy day at work to head out to Old Pasadena and got some tacos for a quick take-out from a restaurant right around the block, as the place seemed a bit hectic and busy with a lot of people dining inside and outside.
Maestro-MexicanCuisineRestaurant_PasadenaCA_0126.jpg

Maestro (contemporary Mexican cuisine, Pasadena, California, 1/26).

Maestro-tacos-takeout-0126.jpg

Tacos (carnitas taco & fish taco, from take-out @ Maestro, Pasadena, CA) and coffee (1/26).

Prior to this, about a little over a week ago, there’s an iem with a somewhat similar name I’ve been meaning to try from a rising known brand in Singapore. Its iems from a particular line-up & series have been fairly well discussed here, as well as in other similar threads and forums, and some of the more popular models from this line-up have been mostly well received by many in the portable audio community.

Starting in at $473 (in USD) from the entry of its popular line-up, the FatFreq Maestro Mini seemingly gives a small but fun taste of what the Maestro series has to offer. Knowing that the Maestro Mini is at a much lower price point compared to its higher end and flagship models, the price for what it seems to offer was just something I couldn’t pass up.

In the hopes of finding the Mini to bridge the gap between entry-level wired & tws earphones and high-end totl iems in a more musical and fun way from my iem collection, I asked Ben at FatFreq few more questions about the Mini before finalizing my purchase decision. Shortly after the helpful exchange, I went ahead and ordered the Maestro Mini (in universal-fit).

MaestroMini-universalfit-order-0117.JPEG

And, just when I thought things could settle down for a longer while from portable audio purchases, another thought occurred in getting a new dap to pair with the Maestro Mini (and to pair with other ‘mid-fi’ iems & headphones in my collection). Not long after I made the drive back home, there was a dap I had in mind for a while. There's something about the way its aesthetics, design and form factor worked together as a whole and stood out unlike other daps I’ve seen lately. Although there are no in-depth impressions nor reviews to read about this dap on most portable audio threads and forums, one small curiosity led to the next, until it got to a tipping point where I took out my phone to check the availability of this dap, and I ended up adding the dap to cart to complete checkout on Amazon.

SonyNW-ZX707-Amazon.JPEG

The Sony NW-ZX707 has been on my buy list for some time, as I’ve always wanted to have a more usable and accessible dap with a more responsive and fluid user interface in a well-designed, compact & solid build and lighter weight form factor, with the main priority and focus being sound quality and practicality in functionality and usage.

I’m really looking forward to trying the ZX707 and hearing the Maestro Mini (and should arrive within several weeks or sooner), and brief impressions and comparisons of Maestro Mini will be done with Plus Sound cables (spc 2-wire, gph 8-wire, and pph 6-wire) and SP3000. =)

Going back to a brief recap of the past three months with some recent acquisitions in portable audio, I spent some time on and off after work listening to A12t and also Legend X custom-fit with SP3000, as well as IER-Z1R and VE8 (universal-fit) with SP3000, with IER-Z1R being my favorite pairing with SP3000 at the current moment.
A12t-LX-ciems-64AudioPelicanG40case.jpg

A12t custom-fit (top, w/ purple heart wooden faceplates & translucent charcoal shells, paired with Plus Sound Verse 4-wire spc in 4.4) and Legend X custom-fit (bottom, black faceplates w/ silver EE wing logos & translucent mist shells, paired with Plus Sound palladium-plated hybrid 6-wire in 4.4), in 64 Audio Pelican G40 case.

IER-Z1R-plussound4wirespc4.4-SP3000-ginseng.jpg

Current favorite pairing: Sony IER-Z1R (w/ Plus Sound sleeved 4-wire spc in 4.4), Astell&Kern SP3000 and a cold bottle of ginseng. =)

From brief impressions, I found each pairing with SP3000 to be a fairly noticeable step up in most subtle aspects of performance and presentation of sound. While I won’t go in much detail for now, and to keep this post at brief length, I’ve found the SP3000 to have a slightly warm and subtly ‘neutral-like’ type of sound in presentation and feel in tonality. When it comes to detail retrieval, there is just enough information of detail rendered and presented with decent reach and depth from within and at the surface in a delicate, refined but pleasant way.
IER-Z1R-plussound4wirespc4.4-SP3000.jpg

Sony IER-Z1R (w/ Plus Sound sleeved 4-wire spc in 4.4) and Astell&Kern SP3000.

However, in high notes of vocals and instruments, I get the feeling that there is a slight bit of forward emphasis in the mid to upper treble region where the transition from upper mid to treble feels a bit pushed outward in a kind of unnatural way. Dynamics and staging are more than adequate, giving some convincing sense that there’s enough nuances of sounds within their own space and position from instruments, vocals, as well as sounds coming from subjects and objects with clean separation and layering, rendering fine to rich details in a more subtly defined way, and with more spacious & controlled panning and soundstage. This gives a very clean & silent contrast of textured images and nuances of sounds along a pitch dark background.

Also, this effect was fairly similar and noticeable on headphones, such as the HD800S, when paired with a desktop headphone amplifier (Violectric V280, w/ Plus Sound 4-wire spc in XLR 4-pin balanced) and SP3000 in unbalanced line-out. However, the noticeable downside to this setup (in 3.5 single-ended line-out) was a bit of restraint I felt in staging and headroom, where sounds and movement of subjects & objects felt closed in more with a 'fixed-in' resolution, and not feeling as expansive and airy when set up in balanced on both ends with a balanced headphone desktop amplifier and a balanced headphone dac.

HD800S-plussound4wirespcXLRbalanced-ViolectricV280-SP3000lineout.jpg

Sennheiser HD800S (w/ Plus Sound 4-wire spc in XLR 4-pin balanced), Violectric V280 headphone amp (XLR balanced), w/ Plus Sound 6-wire spc dual XLR balanced to 3.5 single-ended interconnect, paired with Astell&Kern SP3000 (in unbalanced line-out).

SP3000-lineout.jpg

Astell&Kern SP3000, in unbalanced line-out & DAC mode.

I’ll get back to following up on the rest of my thoughts and impressions of my ciems and SP3000, as well as replying to other members’ posts in another post for another time, as work is keeping a busy schedule for the rest of this week.

As always, enjoy the journey, and let the music guide in healthy spirit. =)

-Daniel.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #47,417 of 88,428
Jan 27, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #47,418 of 88,428
Jan 27, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #47,419 of 88,428
I don't know what to make of the Trifecta after my first listen last night.
I get they will change over the next couple of hundred hours and I have very high hopes they develop in the way I think they will.

My initial reaction was one of surprise, they presented a closed in soundstage with no air between, forward of my face, almost speaker like in their presentation.
Plenty of bass and sub bass, warm mids, treble struggling to make its presence noticeable and when it did seemed to be contaminated with resonance of the bass line.

After a few hours, either my ears were adjusting or the drivers were starting to loosen up, but subtle improvements toward the treble helped to improve the overall coherence. I get a slight sense of a little air beginning to appear between the instruments, which gives me hope that they will open up, but they are unlike any IEM I've tried and to my hearing have left me with an impression that these will ultimately develop in to a sound similar to a very old pair of very large 3 driver Technics SB's (I've forgotten the model number) that I loved and owned in my youth. I've heard nothing since, all those years ago, that resembled the Technics sound in the room they were located in, I mean the placement of such large speakers on the 1st floor, directly on to floor boards, would be scoffed at today with my audiophile leanings, but the sound was all enveloping, viceral, rhythmic, subs were not a thing at that time but placed on the floor boards, the room became the sub.

Last nights listening session with the Trifecta, hinted that they have the potential to develop with time, but more speaker like than any IEM, Headphone or buds I've ever owned. Anyone else think similarly?.

Jan 27, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #47,421 of 88,428
Happy belated new year everyone…

Wow. You have purchased some exciting audio equipment.

Interested to hear your thoughts on that new Sony 707 DAP.

Jan 27, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #47,422 of 88,428
I get they will change over the next couple of hundred hours and I have very high hopes they develop in the way I think they will.

My initial reaction was one of surprise, they presented a closed in soundstage with no air between, forward of my face, almost speaker like in their presentation.
Plenty of bass and sub bass, warm mids, treble struggling to make its presence noticeable and when it did seemed to be contaminated with resonance of the bass line.

After a few hours, either my ears were adjusting or the drivers were starting to loosen up, but subtle improvements toward the treble helped to improve the overall coherence. I get a slight sense of a little air beginning to appear between the instruments, which gives me hope that they will open up, but they are unlike any IEM I've tried and to my hearing have left me with an impression that these will ultimately develop in to a sound similar to a very old pair of very large 3 driver Technics SB's (I've forgotten the model number) that I loved and owned in my youth. I've heard nothing since, all those years ago, that resembled the Technics sound in the room they were located in, I mean the placement of such large speakers on the 1st floor, directly on to floor boards, would be scoffed at today with my audiophile leanings, but the sound was all enveloping, viceral, rhythmic, subs were not a thing at that time but placed on the floor boards, the room became the sub.

Last nights listening session with the Trifecta, hinted that they have the potential to develop with time, but more speaker like than any IEM, Headphone or buds I've ever owned. Anyone else think similarly?.
I personally thought that was my experience too based on my "burn-in" records over the course of 200 hours. It is very raw IEM -- I keep thinking of it sounding like an orchestra in a hall (though I've also had pushback on this hahaha) -- though perhaps you are correct it is more speaker in a room with that analog style than anything else.

Jan 27, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #47,423 of 88,428
I completely agree. The stock cable has great technical performance (soundstage, detail, layering) and to be honest I'm not sure I hear all that much of an improvement in that regard with the FTS. But the FTS keeps those great technicalities while giving it some warmth.

The First Times non-shielded also works very well, and I think the non-shielded tuning with the Ragnar might actually be a little bit better than the FTS, since the non-shielded has a tad less treble energy (which is a good thing, since the Ragnar has a lot of it). But the technical performance isn't as good -- for example, the soundstage is noticeably more narrow (but still respectable).

I'm listening to my FTS with the Odyssey right now, and that's also a great pairing.
FTS x Ody is a great pairing!

Jan 27, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #47,424 of 88,428
Last nights listening session with the Trifecta, hinted that they have the potential to develop with time, but more speaker like than any IEM, Headphone or buds I've ever owned.
Based on that description alone, I can't wait to hear them. Those with no recollection of the great age of 'vintage' 70s and 80s floorstanding audio and the utter romanticism of the sound of that era will have no idea what you're on about. 🤭

Jan 27, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #47,425 of 88,428
Based on that description alone, I can't wait to hear them. Those with no recollection of the great age of 'vintage' 70s and 80s floorstanding audio and the utter romanticism of the sound of that era will have no idea what you're on about. 🤭
Oh my word ... they obviously never lived through that era, fond memories for sure!.
It was an almost immediate recognition of that memory, it was the only thing I equated to what I was hearing with the Trifecta.
Go big or go home ... :stuck_out_tongue:

Jan 27, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #47,426 of 88,428

I know exactly what you are talking about as I had the exact same speaker-like impression during my first exposure of Trifecta (although that particular unit was six months old).

Please give it a long quality burn-in and I assure you it will open up with a clearer midrange and a more articulate bass presentation 😊

It's truly one of the most unique iem I've come across and one that I believe will fair well in a collector's portfolio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back