The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 16, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #40,051 of 88,312
Any advice on what to do when your heartbeat all of a sudden doubles???

drftr
1668645769816.png

Nov 16, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #40,052 of 88,312
Congrats! Been enjoying mine for a week now.:kissing_heart:

Definitely going in my top 10.

6F77AC35-20CB-4EB5-8FF3-186D3435B5B6.jpeg
Great visual combo. I hope for the sound too.

Nov 16, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #40,053 of 88,312
Hi all, I'm waiting for my CA SM and thinking about getting some portable source. My current DAP is rather transportable (M17) and I was curious if there's anyone who can recommend some DAP to match IEM level. I'm playing music mostly from a card and practically not streaming. Any feedback would be appreciated :)
I enjoyed listening to them with the LPGT, but they require an above-average level source. So from that point of view, the M17 suits them perfectly. Especially if its size suits you.
You can also pay attention to the cable. SMs respond well to cable rolling.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #40,054 of 88,312
I've had something coming from somewhere I can't recall, but it was transiting in Dubai when i checked on around day 4ish. 3 days later after a weekend it shows it arrived in Singapore and is in the process of clearing customs.. The very next day it appeared back in Dubai transiting again lol. Took about 2 weeks or more for item to arrive. To compared, I get stuff from MT from the US to SG in about 4-5 days
Sounds like you bought from Aliexpress!

Nov 16, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #40,056 of 88,312
@briantrinh86: The Ragnar and the KK are loaners from a fellow Cooler and it came with Orpheus Shielding (not FT) already attached. I don't have the stock on either so I cannot make the comparison you want I'm afraid. I do have the FT Shielding with me though and I did cable roll Orpheus Shielding and FT Shielding on the Ragnar and my pleb ears unfortunately could not tell a difference. Put in another way, they were both so good and similar that there was little difference!

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #40,057 of 88,312
Yup you can take it right out if you want. The CFA like pouches were an unexpected pleasant bonus.
The Astute case is lovely. I now regret not jumping on their other cases. Yes. The pouches were certainly a very nice touch!

Nov 16, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #40,058 of 88,312
I thought this was a lot of fun last year. Nothing really interested me but I liked the concept, looks like round 2 is coming up!

I am so excited for another Andromeda. We definitely didn't had enough of these!

....secretly hoping for another planar.

Nov 16, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #40,059 of 88,312
@briantrinh86: The Ragnar and the KK are loaners from a fellow Cooler and it came with Orpheus Shielding (not FT) already attached. I don't have the stock on either so I cannot make the comparison you want I'm afraid. I do have the FT Shielding with me though and I did cable roll Orpheus Shielding and FT Shielding on the Ragnar and my pleb ears unfortunately could not tell a difference. Put in another way, they were both so good and similar that there was little difference!
bro what is your impression comparing KK Rager to your Mentor? @yaps66

Nov 16, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #40,060 of 88,312
I am so excited for another Andromeda. We definitely didn't had enough of these!

....secretly hoping for another planar.
I would be extremely surprised if there wasn't any andromedas... Actually I would be extremely surprised if there isnt more than one andromeda.

I always hope they have something interesting, but I really hate the idea of them doing this and potentially releasing very limited editions of totally new products. Really trying to get that FOMO going to get people to buy. Rubs me the wrong way when its for new products or tunings that nobody can possibly hear before they are all sold out.

Nov 16, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #40,061 of 88,312
bro what is your impression comparing KK Rager to your Mentor? @yaps66
I will need more time but from a 2-hour session I had yesterday this is my order of preference:

EDM (specifically Peace Bird by Genius of Time)

Ragnar>Mentor>KK>Traillii

Classical (specifically Beethoven Symphony No. 7 by Pittsburgh Symphony/Manfred Honeck, 2st Movement)

Ragnar=Mentor>KK>Traillii

The very sad fact for me is that Traillii cannot compare with Ragnar or Mentor or KK on the above two genres I listened to last night.

When listening to the first movement of Beethoven's 7th, it seemed like there was a veil and the tonality just seemed off. Also, when doing the a/b, it felt like Traillii could not handle the business of the large orchestra as well as the others.

Between the Ragnar and Mentor, the reason I gave it a tie is because both could portray the stage of the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra so well. Both were equally holographic. The standout quality for the Ragnar was the bass portrayal, specifically the cello and double bass. It was coherent and clear with great tonality. The Mentor unfortunately could not do it as well. When I a/b the two for the bass specifically, the Ragnar just won the day. The standout quality for the Mentor was the mids and treble and how it particularly portrayed strings. It was so natural, juicy and sweet. Best I have heard on an iem so far. On the Ragnar and the KK, there was a bit of a metallic sheen to it. It was a little off-putting.

When listening to Peace Bird, the Ragnar immediately captures your attention and draws you in. The Ragnar is a detail monster and thankfully the metallic sheen did not come through. The sub-bass on the Ragnar is so well done. Almost 3D like. The Mentor follows close behind but the bass while captivating, is not as addictive as the Ragnar.

The KK is really TOTL also but I just felt that the mids were a little too recessed for my liking.

Sad fact of the day, Traillii while still a lovely iem, is trailing behind Ragnar, Mentor and KK for me on this most preliminary of listens! No pun intended!

Nov 16, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #40,062 of 88,312
I will need more time but from a 2-hour session I had yesterday this is my order of preference:

Classical (specifically Beethoven Symphony No. 7 by Pittsburgh Symphony/Manfred Honeck, 2st Movement)

The very sad fact for me is that Traillii cannot compare with Ragnar or Mentor or KK on the above two genres I listened to last night.

When listening to the first movement of Beethoven's 7th, it seemed like there was a veil and the tonality just seemed off. Also, when doing the a/b, it felt like Traillii could not handle the business of the large orchestra as well as the others.

Between the Ragnar and Mentor, the reason I gave it a tie is because both could portray the stage of the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra so well. Both were equally holographic. The standout quality for the Ragnar was the bass portrayal, specifically the cello and double bass. It was coherent and clear with great tonality. The Mentor unfortunately could not do it as well. When I a/b the two for the bass specifically, the Ragnar just won the day. The standout quality for the Mentor was the mids and treble and how it particularly portrayed strings. It was so natural, juicy and sweet. Best I have heard on an iem so far. On the Ragnar and the KK, there was a bit of a metallic sheen to it. It was a little off-putting.

When listening to Peace Bird, the Ragnar immediately captures your attention and draws you in. The Ragnar is a detail monster and thankfully the metallic sheen did not come through. The sub-bass on the Ragnar is so well done. Almost 3D like. The Mentor follows close behind but the bass while captivating, is not as addictive as the Ragnar.

The KK is really TOTL also but I just felt that the mids were a little too recessed for my liking.

Sad fact of the day, Traillii while still a lovely iem, is trailing behind Ragnar, Mentor and KK for me on this most preliminary of listens! No pun intended!
thanks for your quick comparison, i sold the bird after getting ragnar for a month ago, ragnar's treble and mid are exellent as well as the realism and resolution, one thing i wish is the ragnar could have a little bit more sub bass that would be perfect for me.

Nov 16, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #40,063 of 88,312
My 2nd anniversary today on Head-Fi, at least with this username - I had registered a few years before as 'Scubadevils' but with an email address I no longer had access to.

I joined again to make a decision on an upgrade from the ZX300 to the ZX507... @Damz87 - I'm seeing now that you were the first to respond :)

I was incredibly innocent at the time to think I'd buy the ZX507 and XBA-N3 and that would be it...
Congrats on your 2nd anniversary Scuba Devils! I enjoy your reviews!
Re:zx300 vs zx507,
How about sending your zx300 to NP audio for modding?
I recently got a 2nd hand heavily modded(hardware+firmware) zx300. Amazing and I almost love it more than dx220 max. I think it has that wm1z -like mid/bass emphasis sony signature and SQ is very satisfying, more than unmodded WM1A. It has audio note caps and copper backplate. Sony sound effect(rather than direct sound) work well with this modded version-adds body and fullness
I prefer music files more than streaming so zx300 is okay with me. Maybe NP audio can mod zx507 as well.
Just my 2 cents.

Addendum: Stupid me! I thought you were looking for upgrade NOW.
Yeah.. just mod it then done with it. That Simple!!
61ED7769-2DEB-44D1-963F-7A54B3559BF6.jpeg

Attachments

• 78D51A57-6CA3-4DFA-9748-5D68554DB1D1.jpeg
    78D51A57-6CA3-4DFA-9748-5D68554DB1D1.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 9DDA4609-0735-454B-A4B9-42269DDB2E3B.jpeg
    9DDA4609-0735-454B-A4B9-42269DDB2E3B.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 6EA9EB9A-1117-4ACE-BF10-5A32320C41B3.jpeg
    6EA9EB9A-1117-4ACE-BF10-5A32320C41B3.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 0
  • FDA39269-8368-4471-BAF0-DDF5FCC0555D.jpeg
    FDA39269-8368-4471-BAF0-DDF5FCC0555D.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 0F0C8BFA-265C-4672-9271-A0ABED7A46EE.jpeg
    0F0C8BFA-265C-4672-9271-A0ABED7A46EE.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 8B6318E3-C011-4917-AF9F-2D4CBEB25839.jpeg
    8B6318E3-C011-4917-AF9F-2D4CBEB25839.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 0
  • C98A4434-201C-4AE6-95A6-2503A574FEF9.jpeg
    C98A4434-201C-4AE6-95A6-2503A574FEF9.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #40,064 of 88,312

Thank you for your impressions.

You didn’t say much about KK but still say you prefer it over the Bird even though you felt the mids are too recessed? I’ve just ordered a KK and would love to know your thoughts on it especially with more energetic music.

I’m wondering if the Ragnar sheen is being tamed by the Orpheus cable…

Also curious more thoughts about the comparisons with tracks more geared toward the trailliis tuning.

Can’t wait to hear more from you. :)

Thanks again for your impressions as they are super helpful to those of us that won’t get to hear some of these before a purchase. You really have me wanting to hear the Ragnar!!

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #40,065 of 88,312

Users who are viewing this thread

Back