The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 24, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #36,136 of 88,890
I love Penang food, do you got chance to eat tek seng chinese food, dim sum at macalister road, ice cendol, fried kwetiau cie mei, beehon duck leg ?
LOL - I'm a vegetarian...

I arrived only yesterday but since this is one of my favourites spots on this rock it's my 6th time or so. Still plenty to discover!

drftr

Sep 24, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #36,137 of 88,890
Interesting I would have thought you would have enjoyed Traillii more than you did.
I think I was just very unlucky with the attitude of the shop where I listened to them as they didn't leave me any wiggle room to adjust the mids to treble area to my liking using different cables. Luckily I will get a better chance when meeting my favourite dealer Mr. @yaps66 in Vietnam. Next I need to read up on tricks to make it hop over to my bird cage.

drftr

Sep 24, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #36,140 of 88,890
It's generally a W-shaped signature with good full range DD supplemented by BA mids and piezo treble. I believe the DD is the same driver as their popular FAudio Major. It's not a bombastic bass, just right sweet and extended. There's a toggle switch to enhance bass/mids/treble. With all off, it's a very mild w or v-shaped that is neutral leaning character (I call it the A&K type tuning). The switch enhances each area very tastefully. Bass raises the subbass from a neutral bass. Mids switch adds body to the sound without being shouty. Treble switch adds top end giving a little more EST like sparkle. I tend to keep it at bass=on, mids=on, treble=off.

Relative to Traillii, it's more in-your-face type of presentation. Closer to the players. You can also hear the depth really well. I enjoy it with just about every genre. It scales up with source too.

One thing the piezo does is the sharp attack and rising edge. This is important for me since I play and listen to lot of guitar/stringed instrument music. Much better done than Hyla CE5. This nails the timbre for me. Traillii softens those edges which takes away the realism for me.

I think @twister6 had a comment somewhere on his show comments earlier this year.

Well, since you mentioned :wink:, I had a chance to hear FAudio Mezzo LE right before CanJam SoCal, borrowed it for a few days from Andrew/MT. Here is what I have in my notes.

I found Mezzo LE to have a balanced sound sig with natural revealing tonality (with all switches off). It is tuned to have a very spacious sound with a huge 3D soundstage expansion. The bass is deep and punchy, lower mids are neutral, more toward the leaner side, upper mids are quite organic and detailed, and treble is crisp yet still natural, non fatigue.

faudio-mezzo-le-01.jpg faudio-mezzo-le-02.jpgfaudio-mezzo-le-03.jpg faudio-mezzo-le-04.jpgfaudio-mezzo-le-05.jpg faudio-mezzo-le-06.jpg

As one can see, it does have 3 switches to change lows, mids, and highs. The OG version I tried back in Feb during CanJam NYC was tuned a bit differently because I clearly remember needing to toggle switches to make it sound better. Here, what I found with Limited Edition model:

Sw1 - brings more energy to the treble, giving it a crisper bite with a higher res definition.
Sw2 - pushes mids more forward which attenuates the bass down, gives treble more air, and makes vocals brighter, colder, more analytical.
Sw3 - boosts the bass, elevating both sub-bass and mid-bass, it functions like a shelf filter which affects only the bass while still keeping mids natural and detailed, and treble crisp and clear. But the perception of mids changes under this tuning, pulling them slightly back.

Sw1+3 - tried two switches, this suppose to boost the bass and the treble, but it made mids more forward and treble a bit hot.

For me personally, in this Limited Edition (LE) model of Mezzo I enjoyed all switches off. But you do get a choice, depending on your sound preference.

And for your FR junkies, here are the graphs:

FR L/R
FAudio_Mezzo_LE-full-FR01.jpg

SW1
FAudio_Mezzo_LE-SW1-FR01.jpg

SW2
FAudio_Mezzo_LE-SW2-FR01.jpg

SW3
FAudio_Mezzo_LE-SW3-FR01.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #36,142 of 88,890
Interesting I would have thought you would have enjoyed Traillii more than you did. Regarding the similarities I was fortunate to listen to a bunch of the UM IEMs last weekend. I heard Mason FS, Red Halo and Fusang and they all sounded sufficiently different for me to be able to tell them apart.

Ditto on both counts.
What are the "gross" differences between Red Halo, Fusang and Mason FS?

Sep 24, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #36,143 of 88,890
Sep 24, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #36,144 of 88,890
I didn't know how to process your first vote so I haven't included your submission-- can you narrow it down to exactly 3?

I haven't counted your Viking vote and won't until you specify whether you mean Viking or Ragnar. Thanks.
Updated with Viking Ragnar 😄

Thanks Rockwell

Sep 24, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #36,145 of 88,890
Well, since you mentioned :wink:, I had a chance to hear FAudio Mezzo LE right before CanJam SoCal, borrowed it for a few days from Andrew/MT. Here is what I have in my notes.

I found Mezzo LE to have a balanced soundstage sig with natural revealing tonality (with all switches off). It is tuned to have a very spacious sound with a huge 3D soundstage expansion. The bass is deep and punchy, lower mids are neutral, more toward the leaner side, upper mids are quite organic and detailed, and treble is crisp yet still natural, non fatigue.

faudio-mezzo-le-01.jpg faudio-mezzo-le-02.jpgfaudio-mezzo-le-03.jpg faudio-mezzo-le-04.jpgfaudio-mezzo-le-05.jpg faudio-mezzo-le-06.jpg

As one can see, it does have 3 switches to change lows, mids, and highs. The OG version I tried back in Feb during CanJam NYC was tuned a bit differently because I clearly remember needing to toggle switches to make it sound better. Here, what I found with Limited Edition model:

Sw1 - brings more energy to the treble, giving it a crisper bite with a higher res definition.
Sw2 - pushes mids more forward which attenuates the bass down, gives treble more air, and makes vocals brighter, colder, more analytical.
Sw3 - boosts the bass, elevating both sub-bass and mid-bass, it functions like a shelf filter which affects only the bass while still keeping mids natural and detailed, and treble crisp and clear. But the perception of mids changes under this tuning, pulling them slightly back.

Sw1+3 - tried two switches, this suppose to boost the bass and the treble, but it made mids more forward and treble a bit hot.

For me personally, in this Limited Edition (LE) model of Mezzo I enjoyed all switches off. But you do get a choice, depending on your sound preference.

And for your FR junkies, here is combined graph with all switch variations. I know, some of these curves are too close and not easy to follow/distinguish, but you can get an overall idea.

FAudio_Mezzo-LE-FR01.jpg
How would you compare it to mest indigo or mest MK2 ? Which is basser bigger soundstage etc :)

Sep 24, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #36,146 of 88,890
Plussound X6 cable? SQ compared to OG?
Yes sir, X6 copper. I actually got this cable to increase comfort. The Z1R almost disappear into my ears. SQ? Don’t remember tbh as I switched cables pretty quickly, but it was pretty the same I guess.

Sep 24, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #36,147 of 88,890
Yes sir, X6 copper. I actually got this cable to increase comfort. The Z1R almost disappear into my ears. SQ? Don’t remember tbh as I switched cables pretty quickly, but it was pretty the same I guess.
So that's the TriCopper X6 then, right? Been discussing the X8 equivalent with @DaveStarWalker in the past few days. Extremely tempting. But just seeing that Taiwan is going to be open for tourism from mid October HanSound all of a sudden is back on the table as well. Maybe I should buy more IEMs so that I can buy more cables! 🤔

drftr

Sep 24, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #36,148 of 88,890

I found Mezzo LE to have a balanced soundstage sig with natural revealing tonality (with all switches off). It is tuned to have a very spacious sound with a huge 3D soundstage expansion. The bass is deep and punchy, lower mids are neutral, more toward the leaner side, upper mids are quite organic and detailed, and treble is crisp yet still natural, non fatigue.

And for your FR junkies, here is combined graph with all switch variations. I know, some of these curves are too close and not easy to follow/distinguish, but you can get an overall idea.

FAudio_Mezzo-LE-FR01.jpg
I am not a graph reading expert, but to me at first glance it seems like the Switches don't do much at all? Since there are slight DB variations, that seems to be the main difference between most of these curves...

Sep 24, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #36,149 of 88,890
Screenshot_20220923-223925_Gallery.jpg

Still on my Ragnar honeymoon. I am re-discovering my love for Jazz particularly with romantic vocals and Bossa Nova. i.e. Diana Panton, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Michael buble.

The Viking Ragnar presents music in a dignified and refined way similar to the Traillii. Both monitors are deliver music in a sweet, charming way. The Traillii tilts towards the musical while Ragnar goes for accuracy and elegance.

Some song impressions:

Unforgettable - Natalie Cole

Natalie cole sounded graceful and present. Strings in the background delicately weaved in and out of the background in one plane. Nothing seemed out of place. When the saxophone kicked in at 2:00 just muah 🤌

The way you look tonight - Frank Sinatra

This playback felt grande and immersive. Trumpets sounded rich and vivid. At 1:43, I like how it sparks up with some punch when it needed to. This song reminded me of Ragnars ink black background & ovular soundstage. Without closing my eyes, I could visualize the bass player on the left side and the snares sizzling in my top right side simultaneously.

The very thought of you - Emilie-Claire Barlow

This replay made me melt. During Emiles solo from 0:00 -> 0:30, I got pulllled in. Emilies voice sounded sultry with pristine transparency. There is a way vocals decay. It's as if a plastic film has been unwrapped from my ear. The Ragnar does what Traillii does with vocals but with more clarity.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #36,150 of 88,890
I didn't know how to process your first vote so I haven't included your submission-- can you narrow it down to exactly 3?

I haven't counted your Viking vote and won't until you specify whether you mean Viking or Ragnar. Thanks.
Don’t the Viking and Ragnar sound the same? I thought I read that the internals are exactly the same and Noble made the exterior aluminum on the Ragnar to reduce the price? Is this correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back