The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 7, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #34,321 of 91,357
Exciting. Would love to hear it if and when you get a chance. :) I'm looking for a used pair of UM Indigos. Think it might be up my alley from Solaris.
Has @riverground been telling you about my adventures with flirting with that CAM Indigo?
So that's who made the CAM ad disappear so quickly. :wink:
Everyone watching the CAM ad died a little more on the inside
I generally dont browse the classifieds. Got lucky with this one. @Bosk joked about his morning routine (i.e. shower, coffee, checking Watercooler / classifieds) and stumbled onto this.
Only in the mornings?
I've been looking at the Classifieds like 5-6 times per day lately and I don't even know why. Guess it's time to see a doctor to see if I have caught the bug.

drftr
It's probably way more than that for me, and even then I miss stuff.

Sep 7, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #34,322 of 91,357

The other day we shared some recommended recordings and this morning I stumbled upon a recording that I used for demonstrations in the olden days of the first high end desktop DACs. It's a famous Harmonia Mundi recording using mostly period instruments (and a firm dose of absurd humour - it's a Spanish/French/Indian collaboration after all) and it stands out for its dynamics with string attacks, flute tones, castagnettes, etcetera, really jumping at you, even when playing in the background. Another thing is that you can perfectly gauge the dimensions of the venue and its acoustics with all instruments having a lot of air around them while really being part of one big breathing organism playing only a few meters in front of you. Lastly any instrument colouration will be obvious even if you're not familiar with the instrument yourself. If it sounds like it might be off then there's work to do. This YouTube version won't bring it all out for sure, and I also had to go to almost max volume to make it work, so if you can stream it from a better source that would be the way to go. See if you survive the whole show. Watch out for the chainsaw.

Not to he missed if your name ends on @jwilliamhurst, @RTodd, @SBranson, etcetera.

Gregoria Paniagua - La Folia De La Spagna, Harmonia Mundi Records

Listening now via Qobuz!

Sep 7, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #34,323 of 91,357
Has @riverground been telling you about my adventures with flirting with that CAM Indigo?

Everyone watching the CAM ad died a little more on the inside

Only in the mornings?

It's probably way more than that for me, and even then I miss stuff.
You mean like missing the $450 PWA 1960s 4-wire that was gone in a few minutes? 😭

drftr

Sep 7, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #34,324 of 91,357
You mean like missing the $450 PWA 1960s 4-wire that was gone in a few minutes? 😭

drftr
Shhhh shhhhhhhhhhh *sobs silently* It wasn't like I was consider it or anything

Sep 7, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #34,325 of 91,357

The other day we shared some recommended recordings and this morning I stumbled upon a recording that I used for demonstrations in the olden days of the first high end desktop DACs. It's a famous Harmonia Mundi recording using mostly period instruments (and a firm dose of absurd humour - it's a Spanish/French/Indian collaboration after all) and it stands out for its dynamics with string attacks, flute tones, castagnettes, etcetera, really jumping at you, even when playing in the background. Another thing is that you can perfectly gauge the dimensions of the venue and its acoustics with all instruments having a lot of air around them while really being part of one big breathing organism playing only a few meters in front of you. Lastly any instrument colouration will be obvious even if you're not familiar with the instrument yourself. If it sounds like it might be off then there's work to do. This YouTube version won't bring it all out for sure, and I also had to go to almost max volume to make it work, so if you can stream it from a better source that would be the way to go. See if you survive the whole show. Watch out for the chainsaw.

Not to he missed if your name ends on @jwilliamhurst, @RTodd, @SBranson, etcetera.

Gregoria Paniagua - La Folia De La Spagna, Harmonia Mundi Records

Thanks for this.. from the first few notes I started tracking it down only to see my name at the end.. ha.. thanks again. Always on the hunt for stuff like this.

Edit**. Found it on Spotify.. weird but fun.. I didn’t realize how off-the-wall it was going to be.. Love the addition of Indian instruments into La Folia.. just keeps getting weirder..

BTW, listening with @tgx78 ’s TGXEar Alpha and it’s a marvel at instrument timbre.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #34,326 of 91,357
Kr5 has morphed in to the Evo. Once again, I'm going to have multiple Empire iems in my stable.

Sep 7, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #34,327 of 91,357

drftr
I enquired also!! Wahhh

Sep 7, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #34,328 of 91,357
Kr5 has morphed in to the Evo. Once again, I'm going to have multiple Empire iems in my stable.
Could you pls share what are your music preferences? I seem to recall (perhaps wrongly) that you listen to less bass-focused music, which is why I’m quite surprised that you bought EVO 😛

Sep 7, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #34,329 of 91,357
It wasn't like I was consider it or anything
Sorry, forgot about your "allergy" - my bad...

Thanks for this.. from the first few notes I started tracking it down only to see my name at the end.. ha.. thanks again. Always on the hunt for stuff like this.
Stuart, you are familiar with the legendary Jazz At The Pawnshop recording, right? Also, the other day I was talking with Jeremy about my general disappointment (maybe that's too strong a word) in IEMs regarding reproduction of dynamics. Even after demoing for instance Phönix, EXT, Fourté, Annihilator, Odin, Jewel, and Traillii I'm still missing the tremendous sense of dynamics and liveliness that can be experienced with headphones that are way way cheaper than these excellent IEMs. I always thought that the extremely light drivers in IEMs would outdo headphones by miles in this regard. Maybe I'm still spoilt by the Stax Lambda Signatore Pro that I once had but I thought by now IEMs would have surpassed them in pretty much all regards. After realistic tonality I think the way transiensts are reproduced are my next most important metric and it's probably the one that draws me into the music most as it makes reproduction so much more lifelike. I'm just wondering if you have the same experience with your move to headphones or that there was something else driving you.

drftr

Sep 7, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #34,330 of 91,357
Hoping to join the club once CanJam SG comes around. Gonna demo all the models I can at Jaben
You will definitely buy at least one hehe.
have you tried SP-IEM7?
Nope.

It's quite sad that FitEar don't do much global marketing. They are a powerhouse IEM brand.

Sep 7, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #34,332 of 91,357
I wish I could audition fitear :frowning2: I'm interested in the DC TI
Once you have tried their stuffs, you will not be interested in many brands already hahahaha. It is what it is. That's why I don't really care much for those hyped brands anymore. Good products are spread by word of mouth and not by marketing. Such brands are Aroma, Oriolus and FitEar.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #34,333 of 91,357
Once you have tried their stuffs, you will not be interested in many brands already hahahaha. It is what it is. That's why I don't really care much for those hyped brands anymore. Good products are spread by word of mouth and not by marketing. Such brands are Aroma, Oriolus and FitEar.
I own the Aroma Audio Jewel I love it my favorite piece of gear to date :)

Sep 7, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #34,335 of 91,357
I wish I could audition fitear :frowning2: I'm interested in the DC TI
IMO DC Ti/Creator are their best sounding ones. A pain in the *** to properly power and get their full potential tho....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back