The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 5, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #34,216 of 88,259
And his car is shielded?

drftr
Ha! :) Nope, but he is a purist so adding shielding might mess with the acoustics.... He's a special guy. But his ears are incredible, he is an industry standard for tone so he must have some idea of what he's doing. Insanely old school? Yes. Killer tone, yes as well.

Sep 5, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #34,217 of 88,259
Ha! :) Nope, but he is a purist so adding shielding might mess with the acoustics.... He's a special guy. But his ears are incredible, he is an industry standard for tone so he must have some idea of what he's doing. Insanely old school? Yes. Killer tone, yes as well.
I truly appreciate that. Being happy is all that matters after all.

drftr

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #34,218 of 88,259
I received one of these today. And the quality is much worse than in CA. When I bought it, I joked that it would make the IEMs sound dirty at high frequencies.
But it is simply sewn unevenly. One half is noticeably larger than the other.IMG_20220905_183803.jpg
well, i have the exact same problem with my CFA one, 1 side being quite a bit larger

Sep 5, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #34,219 of 88,259
The reel to reel systems are still esoteric. They cost a fortune, the recordings cost a fortune, and there are only extremely limited releases. Great sound though when recorded from the original master. But a pain in the neck to use. And they take up a ton of space. I prefer vinyl myself when I want to hear an analogue set up.

Sep 5, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #34,220 of 88,259
well, i have the exact same problem with my CFA one, 1 side being quite a bit larger
Mine too, but I wouldn't call it a problem. They do the job.

Sep 5, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #34,221 of 88,259
Mine too, but I wouldn't call it a problem. They do the job.
mine is a little cumbersome to insert/remove so I gave up and just got the vannuys d951 twin instead

Sep 5, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #34,222 of 88,259
mine is a little cumbersome to insert/remove so I gave up and just got the vannuys d951 twin instead
I use them for all my IEMs. The only ones that require some squeezing are the N8 CIEM.

When I bought them the cheaper alternatives weren't available yet, otherwise I'd probably have bought those.

Sep 5, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #34,223 of 88,259
The reel to reel systems are still esoteric. They cost a fortune, the recordings cost a fortune, and there are only extremely limited releases. Great sound though when recorded from the original master. But a pain in the neck to use. And they take up a ton of space. I prefer vinyl myself when I want to hear an analogue set up.
But the machines themselves can be sooo nice to operate. I never had that special feeling with record players. Perhaps also with older Sony CD players.

drftr

Sep 5, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #34,224 of 88,259
I received one of these today. And the quality is much worse than in CA. When I bought it, I joked that it would make the IEMs sound dirty at high frequencies.
But it is simply sewn unevenly. One half is noticeably larger than the other.IMG_20220905_183803.jpg
I bought 10, they are cheap so I don't really care the details.

Sep 5, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #34,226 of 88,259
I’m looking for next level

I love the Acoustune HS1670SS looking to move up on my radar are:
AKG n5005
Senheiser ie600
Acoustune HS1655CU
Any recommendations around £550?
I like good quality bass with mids with great timbre and smooth sparkling highs

Sep 5, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #34,227 of 88,259

AKG n5005
Senheiser ie600
Acoustune HS1655CU

I only have IE600 today, but I'd be confident even during the short time I've had them, they will tick those requirements... likewise ZEN PRO, less sub bass and not as much sparkle but very well balanced overall.

Sep 5, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #34,228 of 88,259

AKG n5005
Senheiser ie600
Acoustune HS1655CU
Given you have 1a, maybe Z1R? the second-hand is almost double your budget, however, my personal experience is to get to TOTL as high as you can afford. Otherwise, you will end up with lots of middle ground stuff, which the total cost is already equal to one TOTL item.

Sep 5, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #34,229 of 88,259
Monday evening ambient glitch on Jewel, been a few days since I've listened and a wonderful return. This is such an incredibly relaxing album.

Thanks for this, this is going to my wishlist!

You might enjoy

Sora - Re.Sort
Lee Evans - Aphasic Forest
Hiroshi Yoshimura - Green
Green House - Six Songs For Invisible Gardens
Micro Macro - Clariloops
Music for Tomato Plants - Loris S. Sarid
Trace: Sound Design Works 1986-1989 - Yutaka Hirose

These are all on bandcamp as well.
If you have more recommendations like this, please let me know!

Sep 5, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #34,230 of 88,259
Thanks for this, this is going to my wishlist!

You might enjoy

Sora - Re.Sort
Lee Evans - Aphasic Forest
Hiroshi Yoshimura - Green
Green House - Six Songs For Invisible Gardens
Micro Macro - Clariloops
Music for Tomato Plants - Loris S. Sarid
Trace: Sound Design Works 1986-1989 - Yutaka Hirose

These are all on bandcamp as well.
If you have more recommendations like this, please let me know!

I only have 'Green' from your list, cheers - I'll definitely check out the rest.

I could go on for pages and pages with anything ambient related, absolute fanatic but one that springs to mind is this fantastic compilation - a mix of ambient very old, and very new with an excellent blend of modern classical tracks too... curated by two legends, Mixmaster Morris and Coldcut.

I put together a list a while back of some of my favourites from over the years, I'll dig it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back