The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 18, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #29,461 of 90,405
Random silly question, but would you guys ever use an IEM and DAP while doing the dishes (dad life)? If so, what combo would you use?
Probably not doing dishes, but other chores absolutely. When I'm mowing the lawns or getting stuck into other gardening work I'll use the CCA CRA or KZ KSN on the FiiO LC-BT1 lanyard, and put a pair of safety ear muffs over them. Works a treat.
If you segment your IEM/DAP usage like that, it justifies a vast collection.
This is what I keep telling the missus, not sure if she's fallen for it yet.

Jul 18, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #29,464 of 90,405
Jul 18, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #29,465 of 90,405
Random silly question, but would you guys ever use an IEM and DAP while doing the dishes (dad life)? If so, what combo would you use?

The ZX300 is the perfect solution for me for pottering about the house, walking my dog, commuting etc. Nice slim device that slips into any of my pockets and hardly notice its there. I'll pair typically with a single DD, this morning it was ZEN PRO...

20220718_092153.jpg

Jul 18, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #29,467 of 90,405
Jul 18, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #29,468 of 90,405
The ZX300 is the perfect solution for me for pottering about the house, walking my dog, commuting etc. Nice slim device that slips into any of my pockets and hardly notice its there. I'll pair typically with a single DD, this morning it was ZEN PRO...

20220718_092153.jpg
Man I tried Zen back in the day. DUNU Really knows its stuff. I am soon getting an audition on the latest Vulkan courtesy of a friend here. Will post my impressions on it.

Jul 18, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #29,469 of 90,405
Man I tried Zen back in the day. DUNU Really knows its stuff. I am soon getting an audition on the latest Vulkan courtesy of a friend here. Will post my impressions on it.

ZEN OG was good but I found ZEN PRO a big step up for my preferences.

VULKAN is great too, very interesting tuning... I've not actually listened for a few weeks, I must revisit! Big fan of DUNU.

Jul 18, 2022 at 5:15 AM Post #29,470 of 90,405
Oh TWS only! My trusty Samsung Buds Pro with the OnePlus. Don't even want to imagine the scene where I accidentally drop a DAP I'm testing in the sink full of water and dirty dishes. 🤯 No curry on the DAP for me, thank you! :sweat_smile:

That brings me to the question - How many people here use a TWS IEM that they're fine with replacing a good wired combo for the OTG use and convenience? If you do, which one's your favourite? And who all still prefer carrying and using the favourite wired combo even OTG?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #29,471 of 90,405
Quiet Sunday evening here in Vancouver. Unwinding with some Henny & Tiesto, jotting down notes for my long term XE6 video review. I'm glad that I held off from releasing what I had because I have made several revisions. Thought I would share some thoughts.

20220717_214317.jpg

Before I get into music genres, I am stoked that I found my ideal carrying case. This idea has lived in my mind since its first iteration. Its funny how something relatively trivial can do that. The best thing about IEMs is the ability to take it anywhere. The mighty Traillii deserves a worthy case. And the Luxe is certainly worthy.

Screenshot_20220718-025412_Gallery.jpg

At first glance, I wasn't 100% sold on the colourway. The green moss patina is starting to "grow" on me now. Black does all occasions but the aged olive green gives it some character. When unbuckling the Luxe, it makes a very satisfying "clicking" sound as if you're guarding gear for a super-secret audiophile mafia. 😂 At a future Canjam, I can imagine a future scenario where @HiFiHawaii808 gets pulled aside by TSA.

Airport security: "Sir, what is in this briefcase?". Like Neo from the Matrix, squinting like Clint Eastwood his answer:
"...IEMs.. The best kind money can buy. Now check the other 3 briefcases".

With all this talk about Metal, I've gone back and listened to some of my favourite artists. Admittedly, I wouldn't call myself a "metal" purist. For long term listening, I lean towards Metalcore such as Linkin Park, Bullet For My Valentine and Killswitch Engage. There is a pattern here. I do majority of my listening when I am either being physically active or being productive (attempting to be). This tends to fall under very specific emotions: melancholy music to re-inforce that, epic soundtracks to elevate my mood, avant guarde EDM to push me to my next rep at the gym. This IEM does that with flying colours.

Allow me to pause a bit though because its complicated. This doesn't mean that the XE6 can't do relaxing, softer, slower music. It can. What it does do is assert its bass dominent, larger than live personality into the music you are listening to. This is not as much of an all rounder as the U12T. Depending on the listeners preferences, this might make or break it.

An example is Hauser Air on a G String.

A/Bing from the Trailli to the XE6 in camera terms is like going from a 4 aperature to a 1.4. With the Trallii you visualize the individual objects in the frame concurrently. On the XE6, there is an audible blurry "bokeh" of bass reverb that surrounds the focus object. It reminds me of the ambiant music at a bar with nights out with friends. You are living in the moment. I am enamored by how much of that effect it has compared to other remarkable IEMs that I have listened to.

Screenshot_20220718-025629_Gallery.jpg

Some of my fav genres pairings with the XE6:

1. Movie soundtracks (100%) - I like this equally as much as the Traillii. It's a matter of choosing the venue. Do I want to go the Opera (Traillii) or the club (XE6)?

2. EDM (100%) - The XE6 can do detail no doubt about that. A lot of these tracks have catchy backround beats. Combined with its dynamics (which I find to be better than the Traillii) the XE6 makes me feel like I am at a live venue. You can say it has a realistic timbre because it replicates untreated rooms acoustically.

An example is Tiestos "The Motto".

3) Pop / Jazz (90%). The pop music that I listen to share similar qualities to EDM that emphasizes grooves with minimal lyrics. I like what I hear from Michael Jackson, Madonna, Lady Gaga (Bad Romance on it is an EXPERIENCE). For some of the faster pop I prefer the Bird there is less information lost in the noise.

4. R&B (85%) - Again R&B has an emphasis on beats. I.E. backing track on "Tupac All Eyez on me" gets my feet tapping. I prefer the faster more lyrical story based songs on the Traillii because of its supreme layering and separation. After getting used to the silver modded XE6 though sometimes I do long for an in between IEM.

5. Metalcore (85%) -This is my second most listened genre on the XE6. Bands like Celldweller, Blue Stahli, Bullet for my Valentine and Killswitch Engage takes you on a fun journey. Because of its forgiving dark tuning I rarely get ear fatigue like I do with the Trailli.

An example is this lying world by Unearth. Because of its big boy dynamics the break downs are super satisfying.

For faster busier Metal bands like Dragonforce I prefer the Traillii. With its black backround, instrument separation and resolution, it catches every guitar note accurately. On the XE6, my mind has to actively work to find the information.

The fun part is that there are many ways to skin this. I found for me personally classical, singer song writer music did not work because I tend to assess the musicians talent (timbre and accurate reproduction)

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #29,472 of 90,405
That brings me to the question - How many people here use a TWS IEM that they're fine with replacing a good wired combo for the OTG use and convenience? If you do, which is your favourite? And who all still prefer carrying and using the favourite wired combo even OTG?
TWS, and specifically the Sony XM4, has been a game changer for me. For less than $300 I get LDAC (very NB), advanced noise cancelling, water resistance, speak to chat, and a good approximation of Sony's house sound with quality that easily rivals most wired mid-fi IEMs. Does it make TOTL wired IEMs redundant? Of course not, not even close. But it's far more practical, and the only thing I really need when out and about or traveling.

For me, expensive wired IEMs and DAPs are a pita when doing anything but sitting or relaxing and listening to music. For everything else, where I'm not fully focused on the music or need my hands free, TWS is the only way to go. As always, YMMV.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #29,473 of 90,405
How many people here use a TWS IEM that they're fine with replacing a good wired combo for the OTG use and convenience? If you do, which is your favourite?
Looking for answers to the same question. I haven't tried myself, but many says the xm4 is as good as a $100-150 IEM. The Galaxy Buds 2 pro will be released next month. I'll wait until the reviews show up.

Jul 18, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #29,474 of 90,405
Oh TWS only! My trusty Samsung Buds Pro with the OnePlus. Don't even want to imagine the scene where I accidentally drop a DAP I'm testing in the sink full of water and dirty dishes. 🤯 No curry on the DAP for me, thank you! :sweat_smile:

That brings me to the question - How many people here use a TWS IEM that they're fine with replacing a good wired combo for the OTG use and convenience? If you do, which one's your favourite? And who all still prefer carrying and using the favourite wired combo even OTG?
I use a Fiio UTWS5 with the Nio for sports and walking. Works very well for me. Don't use it during chores so much. I try to get the chores over with asap so I can get back to proper listening. :)

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #29,475 of 90,405
Enjoy the meal, and I hope you enjoy your time here as well, mate!
Meal was throughly enjoyed which included some Mutabak! Off to Bandung tomorrow to visit the Volcanoes and my wife’s birth place! Looking forward to eating Sundanese food!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back