The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jun 10, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #26,776 of 88,437
Just wanted to share something really cool I found. I am super crazy OCD about my music collection, (as some of you may also be) and I've spent the better part of 3 years organizing it. Every album needs to be labeled, the highest res artwork I can find added, and then uploaded to my Dropbox server. Countless nights were spent in front of my computer using programs like Kid3 and Yate to make sure everything was perfect - only to load the albums into my DAP and the artwork didn't show up, or worse it was split into several albums making me twitch and groan with unorganized woe. My new LP6 Ti AE is even worse, (all L&P DAPs are bad with this) and some albums simply won't cooperate, even when I check them three times, new artwork, and nope. Makes me totally crazy.

A friend in a Whatsapp audio nerd group told me about Bliss. It's some guy's ultra nerd project for people like me who care WAY too much about their music collection. (And maybe some of the people here on Headfi might also fall into this category???? :) ) So I tried it. Leaving the files on my full 1TB SD card I let it scan, and in 12 minutes every single album had been fixed, album art perfected, split albums combined and even on my LP6 it was perfect. Even the obscure remasters and vinyl rips were done correctly. I was quite stunned. There is some serious programing mastery going on here, while you can add all kinds of custom rules and processes you want it to do for renaming and organizing, I just let the default do its work and boom done. I am really quite thorough and it still found 100s of errors and mislabeled stuff. The catch? You get 100 "fixes" for free. That means every time it fixes something it counts down, and for those with large collections you will need to pay. You can pay per "fix" but I just got the unlimited. Cost me $75 for lifetime use. The way I see it, small price to pay for a spotlessly organized collection. I'm willing to bet others with massive SD cards and TBs of local files will care too.

Just wanted to share, in case others feel as emotional about their collections as I do :)

Jun 10, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #26,777 of 88,437
Just wanted to share something really cool I found. I am super crazy OCD about my music collection, (as some of you may also be) and I've spent the better part of 3 years organizing it. Every album needs to be labeled, the highest res artwork I can find added, and then uploaded to my Dropbox server. Countless nights were spent in front of my computer using programs like Kid3 and Yate to make sure everything was perfect - only to load the albums into my DAP and the artwork didn't show up, or worse it was split into several albums making me twitch and groan with unorganized woe. My new LP6 Ti AE is even worse, (all L&P DAPs are bad with this) and some albums simply won't cooperate, even when I check them three times, new artwork, and nope. Makes me totally crazy.

A friend in a Whatsapp audio nerd group told me about Bliss. It's some guy's ultra nerd project for people like me who care WAY too much about their music collection. (And maybe some of the people here on Headfi might also fall into this category???? :) ) So I tried it. Leaving the files on my full 1TB SD card I let it scan, and in 12 minutes every single album had been fixed, album art perfected, split albums combined and even on my LP6 it was perfect. Even the obscure remasters and vinyl rips were done correctly. I was quite stunned. There is some serious programing mastery going on here, while you can add all kinds of custom rules and processes you want it to do for renaming and organizing, I just let the default do its work and boom done. I am really quite thorough and it still found 100s of errors and mislabeled stuff. The catch? You get 100 "fixes" for free. That means every time it fixes something it counts down, and for those with large collections you will need to pay. You can pay per "fix" but I just got the unlimited. Cost me $75 for lifetime use. The way I see it, small price to pay for a spotlessly organized collection. I'm willing to bet others with massive SD cards and TBs of local files will care too.

Just wanted to share, in case others feel as emotional about their collections as I do :)
Oh man, this sounds like a wet dream for us cataloguers! I started re-doing file structure off the back of having LP6 but soon got tired with it, and that was without even touching Metadata. I'll go check it out! Have you run your DB Lib through it yet?

Jun 10, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #26,778 of 88,437
For the lols:
I plugged my Mest mkii to dCS stack: 20220601_181301.jpg

But being serious, this stack is the most natural sounding thing i have heard. Tried it with Elite and D8000 pro and LCD 3. Amazing with all of them

Jun 10, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #26,779 of 88,437
They look fantastic. I much prefer minimal styling and that matt black finish is beautiful!
Indeed. One of my favorite things Jomo have started doing recently is the serial number plate on the top of the IEM (3rd picture). I've always found the red-and-blue serial numbers engraved on the inside of CIEMs the ugliest, cheapest-looking part of the product. I see them as a reluctant necessity. But, doing it with an engraved metal plate is such a brilliant reinvention, which turns an obligatory eyesore into a fancy, aesthetic flourish. It actually makes the IEM look a lot more premium, rather than the contrary. I'd love to see more brands adopting this styling or, at least, come up with their own unique serial plates, so they aren't just numbers and initials in red-and-blue.

Awesome find! I've always been reluctant to download the full WAV versions of tracks I've bought on Bandcamp or HD-Tracks, simply because of the hassle of tagging. Something like this could potentially solve that for me.

Jun 10, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #26,780 of 88,437
As much as I hate to generalize and/or stereotype, I can't say any of what you said contradicts what I've heard (and seen) from the HK market. F'ed is a very apt way to put it. :D

Also, 'not a brand that gets talked about too much anymore around these parts, but preeetty...

286373702_3149413775274581_670878328565706651_n.jpg 285807846_3149413825274576_8320943218085529530_n.jpg 286547414_3149413868607905_3221341345806539054_n.jpg
My goodness me… Those look freaking sexy!

Looking forward to hearing your impressions and review!

Thanks @riverground for your reply.

It does seem a crazy amount for a single DD but curious to hear how it performs.
No problem buddy! I’m looking forward to @rev92 ‘s review and his awesome photos!

Jun 10, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #26,781 of 88,437
You could sell a special edition pentaconn plug for 50k in HK and it will still be sold out within minutes.

And it will appear in the 2nd hand market marked up if it is a limited edition anything, because HK market is just so f____ed up that people will try to flip anything and everything.
The funny part is watching Westerners buy into the hype of these absurd products and then try justify the price. Great popcorn fodder. 😁

Very cool, I've been using Bliss for years. Used it to sort out my library when it was around 2TB, but since then I manually tag every album with Meta (and occasionally Musicbrainz).

Jun 10, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #26,782 of 88,437
Looking forward to hearing your impressions and review!

Thanks @riverground for your reply.

It does seem a crazy amount for a single DD but curious to hear how it performs.
And don't forget the Technics EAH-TZ700 too! :) Thanks to you, I gave it another try today.It sounded so good, I might have to scratch the A8000 from my buy list. The TZ700 has what I consider one of the highest mid-bass quality I've heard. It has everything, DD quality texture, natural decay, strength and stunning velocity. Bass guitar and kickdrum especially benefit from this, making them sound so realistic on the TZ700. Loving the bass on 'em! Mids too are exceptionally well-positioned and layered with good natural tone, as well as high-resolution portrayal. All presented with a great sense of space, it really feels opposite to a flat 2D type of sound, as each instrument was positioned and separated adeptly. It walks a fine margin between an intimate and distant sound

Compared to the A8000, the TZ700 has definitely more weight and solidity to each notes. The A8000 sounded bright and thinner by comparison. They both exhibit a good extension in their treble, the A8000 being slightly splashier, whereas the TZ700 more resolving and balanced. Bass too sounded tighter, deeper and slightly bigger on the TZ700, with it having the better execution and punch. The A8000 by comparison sounded blurrier and slower. Timbre too sounded more natural and despite it not being too warm, and more on the neutral side, it had a right amount of weight to each note making it sound better-defined than the A8000. Both have highly resolving sound overall though, but I feel like the A8000 tends to be brighter, lighter in the mids

It's such a treat to listen to these! :) I hope you get a chance of listening to one soon

Another bullet-style IEM I tried was the intime SHO, which has a similar DD + VST configuration to the Ti3. It's slightly more expensive ($500 vs $200). And the difference seem to be mainly in the resolution level and treble smoothness
taken-1654832422425.jpg
← Detachable MMCX cable too

Westone flagship MACH80 (8BA, $2000) was there too. But I didn't quite like the sound. It's a bit bland and on the reference-y neutral side of tuning. Good resolution and extension up top, reminded me of VE7. But bass was on the weaker side, and mids timbre uncolored sterile. Suitable for recording & mixing, and I'm guessing that's its main target use. I tried a couple of other in the MACH lineup, and they seem to share the same 'house' sound

Has anyone heard the jomo cappuccino?
I did but only briefly (15 seconds) as I didn't quite gel with the sound. I think my impression aligns with Precog's on his CanJam SG report of it
The Cappucino sounds like your standard DD IEM. It had a large bass shelf, lack of air, and sounded fairly dark to me
Mids sounded recessed with more emphasis on bass, and sound overall congested as the treble lacked in extension and air

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #26,783 of 88,437
And don't forget the Technics EAH-TZ700 too! :) Thanks to you, I gave it another try today.It sounded so good, I might have to scratch the A8000 from my buy list. The TZ700 has what I consider one of the highest mid-bass quality I've heard. It has everything, DD quality texture, natural decay, strength and stunning velocity. Bass guitar and kickdrum especially benefit from this, making them sound so realistic on the TZ700. Loving the bass on 'em! Mids too are exceptionally well-positioned and layered with good natural tone, as well as high-resolution portrayal. All presented with a great sense of space, it really feels opposite to a flat 2D type of sound, as each instrument was positioned and separated adeptly. It walks a fine margin between an intimate and distant sound

Compared to the A8000, the TZ700 has definitely more weight and solidity to each notes. The A8000 sounded bright and thinner by comparison. They both exhibit a good extension in their treble, the A8000 being slightly splashier, whereas the TZ700 more resolving and balanced. Bass too sounded tighter, deeper and slightly bigger on the TZ700, with it having the better execution and punch. The A8000 by comparison sounded blurrier and slower. Timbre too sounded more natural and despite it not being too warm, and more on the neutral side, it had a right amount of weight to each note making it sound better-defined than the A8000. Both have highly resolving sound overall though, but I feel like the A8000 tends to be brighter, lighter in the mids

It's such a treat to listen to these! :) I hope you get a chance of listening to one soon

Another bullet-style IEM I tried was the intime SHO, which has a similar DD + VST configuration to the Ti3. It's slightly more expensive ($500 vs $200). And the difference seem to be mainly in the resolution level and treble smoothness

Westone flagship MACH80 (8BA, $2000) was there too. But I didn't quite like the sound. It's a bit bland and on the reference-y neutral side of tuning. Good resolution and extension up top, reminded me of VE7. But bass was on the weaker side, and mids timbre uncolored sterile. Suitable for recording & mixing, and I'm guessing that's its main target use. I tried a couple of other in the MACH lineup, and they seem to share the same 'house' sound

I did but only briefly (15 seconds) as I didn't quite gel with the sound. I think my impression aligns with Precog's on his CanJam SG report of it

Mids sounded recessed with more emphasis on bass, and sound overall congested as the treble lacked in extension and air

Thanks so much for taking a listen again, really appreciate it! They sound wonderful - how was the sub bass? ...if that box is ticked, I might be tempted to take the plunge at some point. Are they a similar size to the XBA-N3? - that's my main concern as fit was at times challenging.

I've said it before but I'm so envious of being able to pop into a store and try sets like this!

Oh and on the Perpetua, I'm curious but certainly wouldn't spend $3k on them - unless there were a few reviews that suggested they are the greatest single DD of all time, and actually 'worth' the money 🤪

Jun 10, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #26,784 of 88,437
You could sell a special edition pentaconn plug for 50k in HK and it will still be sold out within minutes.

And it will appear in the 2nd hand market marked up if it is a limited edition anything

Pretty much anything hobby related has that characteristic.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Jun 10, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #26,785 of 88,437
Thanks so much for taking a listen again, really appreciate it! They sound wonderful - how was the sub bass? ...if that box is ticked, I might be tempted to take the plunge at some point. Are they a similar size to the XBA-N3? - that's my main concern as fit was at times challenging.

I've said it before but I'm so envious of being able to pop into a store and try sets like this!

Oh and on the Perpetua, I'm curious but certainly wouldn't spend $3k on them - unless there were a few reviews that suggested they are the greatest single DD of all time, and actually 'worth' the money 🤪
Spec reads that FR reaches 3Hz on the TZ700 (and a ridiculous 100kHz ghost whispers up top) link
It has quite a deep low reach, although it may not rumble like the thunderous EE Odin, or wilder LX EVO. It has a nice presence behind the mid-bass, which was the highlight along with its precise instrument positioning, and pleasant balanced mids. Not the most powerful sub-bass in short, however you do get a spectacular mid-bass in return, and non-congested lows :)

I'm not sure relative to the N3, I think they're pretty similar. Length is about the size of a right-angled 3.5mm jack. Width seems to be thicker on the Technics

If you ever visit, please let me know. I'd love to meet! We can eat cold udon noodles, which is especially popular during the summer. You can even add ice cubes. Maybe top it off with cold beer as well

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #26,786 of 88,437

For our French bros

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #26,787 of 88,437
By the way, the QDC Solo is a premium single DD. I am at beach home with Solo, Timeless and Reecho SG-01 OVA and the Solo is wiping the deck with them. The Solo's best quality is it's ability to convey the singer's emotion.
Listen to Isa Boulay with the Solo and you just want to cry. Solo is a reasonably priced keeper.
Solo has a CEMA Electro Acousti SPC cable. The Timeless and Reecho have PWA #10 cables.
Source was Cayin RU6 playing music files from Tidal.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #26,788 of 88,437
Hello again, everyone… ‘Just got back from locking in the final masters for the last 3 days of the Pentecost, one of which is my first ever original song, which I may share here soon. But, yeah, ‘finally have time to get back to this thread, answer some off-topic questions about Legos, and catch up on some of the convos that have been going on. :D

Collector is a loose term. The ship in a bottle was a b’day present from my fiancé, and I got the typewriter after a similar bout of recording-and-mixing stress. I don’t know if I’m gonna get any more, considering the storage space I’m slowly running out of, but the building process is something I don’t see myself kicking any time soon. :wink:

I ended up going for a mix between 1 and 2. They’re the films I remember seeing most when I was a kid, so a blend of those was the way to go. :)

‘Looks leagues better than the Blue Dragon already. :p

Bellos Audio actually sits under the FiR Audio umbrella, according to the intro video on their channel. They called it “Bellos Audio: A FiR Audio brand,” or something to that effect. I imagine they wanted to separate it for branding reasons (one’s more high-end-focused, while the other’s more musician-focused), and to establish boundaries between what each Bellos brother runs as well, probably.

Ohh, Calyx... what a throwback! I remember when the M, the original Cayin N6 and the Colorfly C10 were known as the "odd ones out" vs. your A&K's, iBasso's and FiiO's in Singapore. 'Really glad to hear they're making a comeback, and, unless that price is missing a 0, it's even better to hear that they've still got their feet on the ground. :D
Did you or anyone here heard the Bellos? I'm considering getting one myself. :)

Jun 10, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #26,790 of 88,437

For our French bros

Oooh, I must give this a go. I'm a fan of Canadian French singers like Stacey Kent, Cœur de pirate, and (well, French singers in general - like Zaz and Joyce Jonathan and Carla Bruni).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back