The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 3, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #23,656 of 90,129
AF536FB6-50BF-4CBF-94B0-13AB2A6F533B.jpeg

New toy has arrived!

Initial “out-of-the-box” sound thoughts… I understand why people go crazy for L&P’s R2R. It just sounds so real. Even with the electronic stuff I listen to, vocals sound incredibly natural and analogue. The tonal balance is spot on. Hard to say if it’s “warm” or “analytical” leaning because it sounds so well balanced between both. Listening now with jewel and It’s obvious that mids are the star of the show, but man, the bass hits super hard and deep and the treble sounds fantastic too. Super impressed with the sound.
Ooh... that industrial machining looks great! 'Shame about the UI, though. It reminds me of Questyle's QP1R to a degree, though that DAP also had electrical noises come out whenever its volume wheel was even grazed, so UI was probably the least of its issues. :D

May 3, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #23,657 of 90,129
Her vocals are always part of my testing. It’s so chilling that if an IEM doesn’t give me that feeling, it’s not passing my female vocal test 😂

As most of the female vocals I listen to are around her range.
Ooh, I haven't given her a proper listen lately - or ever, actually. But now you've inspired me to do so. Don't have to look too far either, I have all her albums in my library...

PSX_20220503_084017.jpg
On closer inspection, the standard black faceplate is still on the Creator as the DC Ti; a cover over the faceplate is just added to the Creator, as what K2Craft's does, it doesn’t replace the black plastic faceplate with a titanium one. The improvements you are hearing can only be attributed to the Creator cable, which is probably accounting for most of the price differential.

EA2B15B8-3B06-4D11-9A08-DF3BF70BB8F3.jpeg
7E6BC093-7B13-471F-9DDB-03075BAE4591.jpeg
Oh my, that metal CIEM...I think I may have found my first review wishlist item... 😍
Oh yeah the UI is terrible 😂 I’m using it in dac mode, streaming from my iPhone with an OTG cable 🤭
It's basically a portable DAC/amp, but a dang good one by the sound of it. I'd be too sad trying to use it as a DAP, so good thing it has USB DAC support!

May 3, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #23,658 of 90,129
Ooh... that industrial machining looks great! 'Shame about the UI, though. It reminds me of Questyle's QP1R to a degree, though that DAP also had electrical noises come out whenever its volume wheel was even grazed, so UI was probably the least of its issues. :D
Geez lol… Well I’m glad to report the LP6 is free of any noises 😂 but yeah the UI is a shame… Hopefully L&P take on the feedback and implement some improvements on LP7.

It's basically a portable DAC/amp, but a dang good one by the sound of it. I'd be too sad trying to use it as a DAP, so good thing it has USB DAC support!​
Yup pretty much! That’s how I used DMP 99% of the time too honestly. It works for my use case because I only listen around the house or sitting at my desk. If I needed something for out of the house, the LP6 would be my absolute last choice 😂

May 3, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #23,659 of 90,129
Geez lol… Well I’m glad to report the LP6 is free of any noises 😂 but yeah the UI is a shame… Hopefully L&P take on the feedback and implement some improvements on LP7.

Yup pretty much! That’s how I used DMP 99% of the time too honestly. It works for my use case because I only listen around the house or sitting at my desk. If I needed something for out of the house, the LP6 would be my absolute last choice 😂
Still waiting patiently for your flagship DAP shootout. Will you be throwing LP6 in the ring too?

May 3, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #23,660 of 90,129
Ooh, I haven't given her a proper listen lately - or ever, actually. But now you've inspired me to do so. Don't have to look too far either, I have all her albums in my library...

Oh my, that metal CIEM...I think I may have found my first review wishlist item... 😍

It's basically a portable DAC/amp, but a dang good one by the sound of it. I'd be too sad trying to use it as a DAP, so good thing it has USB DAC support!
FitEar have never worked with reviewers. They've achieved a very stable income stream from local audiophiles and local artists, so they don't need the additional marketing. Besides, as my interview with Kumitate Lab's Ito-san revealed, FitEar are a brand more concerned about consistency than expansion, so I doubt that policy's gonna change. The best you could probably do is a dealer giving you a big discount on their behalf, like what Music Sanctuary and MusicTeck have done for a number of us with their brands.

With that said, Rhapsodio and Soranik also make metal CIEMs, if you catch my drift. :wink:

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #23,662 of 90,129
Still waiting patiently for your flagship DAP shootout. Will you be throwing LP6 in the ring too?
I think I’ll leave LP6 out, just because (to me) it feels like such a drastically different device and experience compared to the Android-driven daps. Also the pricing and availability of LP6 makes it somewhat pointless to compare it with the others.

May 3, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #23,663 of 90,129
That's gonna be a tough one. The Creator is a HKG-only iteration, have not seen it anywhere else, so you'll have to find someone who owns one to lend it to you for the review. The DC Ti is, as far as I know, a custom-only option out of Fitear, so you'd have to buy one. Either way, I'd love to read a review of the Fitear DC Ti, or its UIEM sibling, the Creator; I don't think there has been any good and proper review of any Fitears, not that I have read before anyway...

May 3, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #23,664 of 90,129
That's gonna be a tough one. The Creator is a HKG-only iteration, have not seen it anywhere else, so you'll have to find someone who owns one to lend it to you for the review. The DC Ti is, as far as I know, a custom-only option out of Fitear, so you'd have to buy one. Either way, I'd love to read a review of the Fitear DC Ti, or its UIEM sibling, the Creator; I don't think there has been any good and proper review of any Fitears, not that I have read before anyway...
I think Nathan (formerly of Headfonia) is the only person who's done a "pro" (however you choose to define that) review of a FitEar CIEM. He was (and probably still is) a Japanese resident as well, so it makes sense that he'd know about and would've been able to demo IEMs from the brand. I think he reviewed the C435 and the MH335DW back in the day; not the most relevant nowadays, unfortunately.

May 3, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #23,665 of 90,129
I've mentioned before about our mobile home in the south east of Ireland, we spend as much time there as possible during the spring and summer - weather often a deciding factor as it's quite old, with no heating and pretty bad insulation. We are upgrading it this year, which is very exciting but we have such amazing memories over the last 8 years - our kids were only 6 and 9 when we first bought this one, but actually 3 and 6 when we took over the spot from my grandmother who had her mobile there since the late 80s, and I spent many summer weeks there as a child too.

Anyway, we had to clear it out yesterday and we had all our favourite songs from over the years playing, which led to tears at some point in the day from us all! We took countless photos and videos but this one is my favourite - as we shut the door for the last time, we had a look in the window from the deck to the living room/kitchen area - a humble affair but we've loved it and it was as much as we could afford at the time... we were talking about imagining ourselves in there at various points over the years - music, DVDs, games, cards, meals, etc etc and how strange it felt to say goodbye, even though we are very excited about the new mobile arriving tomorrow. My daughter intended to take a photo of inside from outside, but as she took it, she commented on our reflection in the window how it's like us fading out of the mobile, a fitting final family shot.

IMG-20220502-WA0001.jpg

May 3, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #23,666 of 90,129
I've mentioned before about our mobile home in the south east of Ireland, we spend as much time there as possible during the spring and summer - weather often a deciding factor as it's quite old, with no heating and pretty bad insulation. We are upgrading it this year, which is very exciting but we have such amazing memories over the last 8 years - our kids were only 6 and 9 when we first bought this one, but actually 3 and 6 when we took over the spot from my grandmother who had her mobile there since the late 80s, and I spent many summer weeks there as a child too.

Anyway, we had to clear it out yesterday and we had all our favourite songs from over the years playing, which led to tears at some point in the day from us all! We took countless photos and videos but this one is my favourite - as we shut the door for the last time, we had a look in the window from the deck to the living room/kitchen area - a humble affair but we've loved it and it was as much as we could afford at the time... we were talking about imagining ourselves in there at various points over the years - music, DVDs, games, cards, meals, etc etc and how strange it felt to say goodbye, even though we are very excited about the new mobile arriving tomorrow. My daughter intended to take a photo of inside from outside, but as she took it, she commented on our reflection in the window how it's like us fading out of the mobile, a fitting final family shot.

IMG-20220502-WA0001.jpg
'Beautiful, beautiful photo, mate. All the best to you and your family. :)

May 3, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #23,667 of 90,129

IMG-20220502-WA0001.jpg
So beautiful! You have a lovely family too. 🙏🙏

May 3, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #23,668 of 90,129
Thanks guys, it was an emotional day! Very excited of course too about the new arrival... which has heating for those cool Irish summer days 😎

May 3, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #23,669 of 90,129
I think Nathan (formerly of Headfonia) is the only person who's done a "pro" (however you choose to define that) review of a FitEar CIEM. He was (and probably still is) a Japanese resident as well, so it makes sense that he'd know about and would've been able to demo IEMs from the brand. I think he reviewed the C435 and the MH335DW back in the day; not the most relevant nowadays, unfortunately.
Thanks, I just read that. Nice one down memory's lane. 😊

May 3, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #23,670 of 90,129
Her vocals are always part of my testing. It’s so chilling that if an IEM doesn’t give me that feeling, it’s not passing my female vocal test 😂

As most of the female vocals I listen to are around her range.
Is it just me, or does she have a bit of hourglass hiss in the trailing edges of her vocal recording on All My Demons. Quite high-pitched, almost hiss-like. It's not too bad on some tracks, but fairly consistent, so I suspect it's either in the recording or my copy.

PS. It's just in the vocals. The 'hiss' starts when she sings (and hits some breathy notes), and ends when she's not singing. Instruments and electronic effects are perfectly on point, clean and hiss-free, and the bass is delicious. Background is ink black.

Edit: listening to her latest, The Gods We Can Touch, the recording hiss is much better controlled, almost nonexistent. It is a hint more sibilant though, not excessive, but it's there. Still, easier on the ear than her first album. The bottomline is that it seems her recordings aren't going to make my 'best recorded' female vocal list, but she's great nonetheless. A good test for how forgiving IEMs/sources are/not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back