The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 2, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #2,161 of 88,143
Actually on the subject of price positioning, it reminds me of the whole 'good, better, best' strategy: once exposed to best, its hard to buy 'good' - brands position 'better' as the target... a great example of this for me many moons ago (2001 or so) while working in electrical retail in an upmarket department store - Philips had just launched the first plasma TV, 42" and a beautiful cool green metallic finish - all for a whopping £14k at the time, probably well over $25k in todays money - sold one or two per month but what was interesting to observe and witness 'good, better, best' in action when people would see this TV, be absolutely blown away by it but have no intention or budget to spend that amount, maybe having planned to spend £500 or so on a 25" CRT TV (tube TV, pre flat screen for those old enough to remember 😀)... that was a good TV but then roll in a 32" wide-screen, same cool green finish but not flat - beautiful set and this is what sold the most, dragging many from their original budget but having seen the incredible plasma TV, couldn't walk away with just 'good'!

Maybe this is the Oriolus strategy and we'll see a focus around $2k that becomes the 'better'... can certainly see how the volume sales could sit in that price point.

That's a possibility. Having said that, the more I explore mid-fi, circa Isa pricing and at a push the MEST, the more I realise price has only slight bearing on good, better or best. I suppose the higher the price the greater the allure though...

Aug 2, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #2,163 of 88,143
That's a possibility. Having said that, the more I explore mid-fi, circa Isa pricing and at a push the MEST, the more I realise price has only slight bearing on good, better or best. I suppose the higher the price the greater the allure though...

Yes absolutely, my experience in the brief time I've been in this hobby too. Theory vs practice is likely quite different but I'd be confident if Oriolus announced a $1,999k IEM tomorrow with x number BA, DD, EST etc... a beautiful unboxing experience, nice case, 2.5/3.5/4.4mm connectors - ticking off the boxes to meet most demands and positioning as the mid-tier Bird, it would generate a lot of interest and the potential to sell a lot more than a $6k IEM, especially having now built a solid reputation in the market it would seem. In theory anyway, all interesting to observe and enjoy...

Aug 2, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #2,164 of 88,143
As Percivali Mk2 :p

Aug 2, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #2,165 of 88,143
Once you set a benchmark for the 'average' (5 out of 10 score) IEM, I think exploring hobby items would become relatively easier. Which comes back to the discussion of good, better, and best, which I find fascinating. As technology develop/progresses I think we might get a higher fidelity sounding device at a more affordable price. Until you reach some sort of plateau at the top of the s-curve, where the sound can't get much more 'real-er'. There then people would pay significantly higher for a tinier incremental increase. Those who seek higher fidelity sound that is (i.e. audiophiles). But for normal ordinary music lover folks like me, a slight coloration to the sound would actually be welcomed, and considered and exciting interesting change in flavor, or how we hear music recording. A slight coloration in tone, or peculiar texture in bass would add value to the music listening hobby, as you can then hear one recording in various style or perspective. It's interesting to me as well when it comes to low to mid-range products, as each can offer something unique, somewhat like listening to other people's ideas of what 'good' is (in this case a good sound). It doesn't need to be the best, nor does it need to sound the truest. Simply sounding enjoyable is plenty IMHO :)

Aug 2, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #2,166 of 88,143
Once you set a benchmark for the 'average' (5 out of 10 score) IEM, I think exploring hobby items would become relatively easier. Which comes back to the discussion of good, better, and best, which I find fascinating. As technology develop/progresses I think we might get a higher fidelity sounding device at a more affordable price. Until you reach some sort of plateau at the top of the s-curve, where the sound can't get much more 'real-er'. There then people would pay significantly higher for a tinier incremental increase. Those who seek higher fidelity sound that is (i.e. audiophiles). But for normal ordinary music lover folks like me, a slight coloration to the sound would actually be welcomed, and considered and exciting interesting change in flavor, or how we hear music recording. A slight coloration in tone, or peculiar texture in bass would add value to the music listening hobby, as you can then hear one recording in various style or perspective. It's interesting to me as well when it comes to low to mid-range products, as each can offer something unique, somewhat like listening to other people's ideas of what 'good' is (in this case a good sound). It doesn't need to be the best, nor does it need to sound the truest. Simply sounding enjoyable is plenty IMHO :)

I'm on the same page as you. I've had much more enjoyment seeking flavours to the sound rather than straight fidelity and my definition of 'best' is becoming less nebulous and more characterised by a particular flavour, which some may enjoy and some might not.

This journey is more about perspective than anything else. I remember when I was starting out I would go to Youtube (or here) and just search for the 'best', not really appreciating that 'best' is very nuanced and often means a compromise of some sort. It's about knowing what compromises you're willing to make (if you have to) and what you value most.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #2,167 of 88,143
I think it is important for a listener to figure out what their taste and goals are (budget is easier - it's in black and red-lol)!! Once you figure that out then it comes down to Hi-Fi vs My-Fi, and not feeling any need to defend your choice to anyone but yourself.

Aug 2, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #2,168 of 88,143
What I've found interesting over the last number of months exploration is the sheer enjoyment of IE900 vs the impressive nature of MEST, the latter technically 'better' but the former far more enjoyable. I suspect Isa is going to have that same enjoyment factor, again being a single DD and how much I love the coherency of IE900.

Aug 2, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #2,169 of 88,143
What I've found interesting over the last number of months exploration is the sheer enjoyment of IE900 vs the impressive nature of MEST, the latter technically 'better' but the former far more enjoyable. I suspect Isa is going to have that same enjoyment factor, again being a single DD and how much I love the coherency of IE900.

Yep, I have a feeling it'll hit a sweet spot that isn't currently occupied by another in your collection. That's just a feeling though and only going off the IE900 graph and a few anecdotal comments.

Aug 2, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #2,171 of 88,143
How is it with ambient?

Haven't listened to much ambient recently on Isa! Let me recharge my gear and remind myself. Any specific tracks that you're interested in?

Aug 2, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #2,172 of 88,143
@ranfan : Regarding to Imperial Baldr, Kinera offered CIEM version which was posted on the official fb fanpage. Assuming that CIEM version (resin) always provides better SQ than UIEM version. Imperial Baldr might comparable to your top no.1. :wink:

Aug 2, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #2,174 of 88,143
Hmm... maybe Somewhere in Russia by Carbon Based Lifeforms?

Thought you might ask for that. Was listening to it on the GK10 yesterday. Will give it a listen and let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back