The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 3, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #152 of 88,873
May 3, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #154 of 88,873
In what way are these better than Final E tips, I am kind of satisfied with the sound and fit it provides with ML size. Definitely don't like the wide bore silicon tips that CA provides.

They fit me better-- I can't get a seal in my right ear with the final tips. Fit and seal are my main criteria for tips. I also prefer wide bore tips as a rule.

May 3, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #155 of 88,873
In what way are these better than Final E tips
I'm also fond of the Azla Sedna Light tips with the Andro 2020. I found the Final E tips added a bit more warmth to what are already a slightly warm pair of IEMs. Lighter silicone tips moved the Andro 2020 closer to a neutral tuning, which I favor. The Final E tips did also add to the bass heft of the Andros - this might be what makes them sound a bit warmer, I suppose.

What I also like about the Azle Sednas is that it's nice to be able to dial in different tunings - the Xelastec and Light for more neutrality and a more spacious sound, the Regular for a more intimate, warmer, and bassier one.

They fit me better-
Likewise - I find that, for me, the Final E tips work better for IEMs with a deeper insertion than the Andros; the sizing of the Azla Sednas seems to be a bit wider than other tips, I've found.

May 3, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #157 of 88,873
How does the dorado do with hiss? I had the OG andromedas a while back but couldn’t tolerate the hiss.

I've heard it (like Atlas) hisses a lot less than Andro. My only experience with the Dorado 2020 has been with the Shanling M8 which doesn't hiss at all with anything, Andromeda included.

May 3, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #158 of 88,873
I've heard it (like Atlas) hisses a lot less than Andro. My only experience with the Dorado 2020 has been with the Shanling M8 which doesn't hiss at all with anything, Andromeda included.
I may need to pick up a pair. I know you love them and you did a great, thorough overview compared to the Z1R. I love the Z1R but would like a little more bass at times. Sounds like the Dorado would do that for me.

May 3, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #159 of 88,873
I'm also fond of the Azla Sedna Light tips with the Andro 2020. I found the Final E tips added a bit more warmth to what are already a slightly warm pair of IEMs. Lighter silicone tips moved the Andro 2020 closer to a neutral tuning, which I favor. The Final E tips did also add to the bass heft of the Andros - this might be what makes them sound a bit warmer, I suppose.

What I also like about the Azle Sednas is that it's nice to be able to dial in different tunings - the Xelastec and Light for more neutrality and a more spacious sound, the Regular for a more intimate, warmer, and bassier one.

Likewise - I find that, for me, the Final E tips work better for IEMs with a deeper insertion than the Andros; the sizing of the Azla Sednas seems to be a bit wider than other tips, I've found.
Nailed it, that's exactly how I hear them. I describe it as old school analog type sound, currently digging that heft slam that comes with it. Honestly haven't given wide bores a fair chance yet since I found Medium one to lacking the seal I can achieve with ML and haven't tried Large one yet. Thinking of giving them another try again.

May 3, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #160 of 88,873
Rockwell75, thanks for the impressions of some of the audio websites. I am also a member of The Other Place and agree with your impression. I am an old 2 channel boy and am a member of Audio Advice and Audio Circle. This Forum seems to be the best for IEMs. The members of the other place seem too cheap to enjoy good audio.

May 3, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #161 of 88,873
The members of the other place seem too cheap to enjoy good audio.

I get that impression more about r/headphones than "The Other Place"...the latter seems on the whole more interested in headphones and 2-channel than IEMs (and quite happy to invest in kilobuck gear) but at reddit you get memed and even flamed for claiming something like the Andromeda is accessible.

May 3, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #162 of 88,873
I may need to pick up a pair. I know you love them and you did a great, thorough overview compared to the Z1R. I love the Z1R but would like a little more bass at times. Sounds like the Dorado would do that for me.

Dorado's mid-bass response is as epic and satisfying as Z1R's sub-bass. Looking forward to hearing your impressions if you go for it.

May 3, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #163 of 88,873
Some Andromeda 2020 Impressions...

I'm hooked on these little green beauties. They are easily among the most instantly likeable and addicting IEMs I’ve heard. I’ve thrown the full extent of my musical tastes at them and, while the dynamic lows of my Dorado 2020, and the organic mids and etheric highs of Elysium are certainly missed at times the Andro 2020 hasn’t hit a false note for me yet. It's really connecting with me in a way that the OG (or the Gold) Andro never did. I am taken back to last summer, when I previously owned the Andromeda 2020, one day I was riding my bike through the park as the sun was setting, with the Andromeda singing in my ears and I remember at one point I was consciously trying to formulate some impressions and comparisons in my head when "Down In It" by St. Germain came on and before I knew it I was completely sucked into the moment-- I promptly forgot all about trying to organize my thoughts and just rolled with the music for a while in a state of bliss. It's precisely this sort of experience that lets me know I'm in the presence of greatness with an IEM. This is by no means the first time I've had an experience like this but each time it happens I'm left with the nascent feeling that everything else I can say sound/signature/characteristics of the IEM is merely window dressing next to the fact that it can sweep me off my feet like that. I fully and completely understand the enduring charm of this IEM.

While I’ve heard some pretty great all BA IEMs, and while some are more impressive technically I'm not sure any are more enjoyable to listen to on the whole for me. Some brief comparisons:

vs. u12t => My lack of enthusiasm for this IEM is well founded so I will try and be as diplomatic as possible. The u12t has better bass decay but Andromeda sacrifices a bit of the raw detail and separation of the u12t for a more musical and engaging signature. This is not a knock against the u12t which, when measured against its aim of being a reference monitor is pretty much flawless. I think fundamentally these two are the Mars and Venus of IEMs. The u12t, being decidedly reference-like and analytic in nature evokes a more intellectual response-- its engagement factor is derived from the precision, order and detail that characterizes its signature. The Andromeda, by contrast, evokes a more emotional response-- it is less concerned with raw technicalities and details and is more concerned with sweeping you off your feet and casting its spell on you. The u12t stimulates your intellect, the Andromeda tugs at your heart. IMHO neither approach is superior to the other—it really depends on you and what you’re after-- but my heart is with the Andromeda as it just so happens that I'm personally not really after a fully reference type signature.

vs. Anole VX => It's been a while since I've heard the VX but my memory recalls it being slightly more detailed, resolving and "cleaner" sounding...it was also just a touch too vivid in the lower treble/upper mid region and ultimately too fatiguing for me with many recordings.

vs. VE8 => Of the aforementioned 3 BA IEMs I have prior experience with the Andromeda 2020, to my ears, probably most resembles the VE8 in terms of tuning philosophy and execution. The VE8 also has a signature that targets emotional engagement over technical proficiency and, along with Andro 2020, it is characterized by a slightly forward and evocative midrange. It's early days comparing these IEMs so far and I plan to do a more detailed shootout between them while I still have @1TrickPony 's VE8. The two biggest differences between these IEMs for me off the bat is that the VE8 is in some ways a thicker, more luscious, ("gooier" if that's a term) sound than the Andromeda. The VE8 hooks you with its natural mid-range timbre and seductive voicing, the Andromeda with its top end air and sparkle..choose your poison. I personally can't get enough of either IEM.

JQMA4173.JPEG

May 3, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #164 of 88,873
Some Andromeda 2020 Impressions...

I'm hooked on these little green beauties. They are easily among the most instantly likeable and addicting IEMs I’ve heard. I’ve thrown the full extent of my musical tastes at them and, while the dynamic lows of my Dorado 2020, and the organic mids and etheric highs of Elysium are certainly missed at times the Andro 2020 hasn’t hit a false note for me yet. It's really connecting with me in a way that the OG (or the Gold) Andro never did. I am taken back to last summer, when I previously owned the Andromeda 2020, one day I was riding my bike through the park as the sun was setting, with the Andromeda singing in my ears and I remember at one point I was consciously trying to formulate some impressions and comparisons in my head when "Down In It" by St. Germain came on and before I knew it I was completely sucked into the moment-- I promptly forgot all about trying to organize my thoughts and just rolled with the music for a while in a state of bliss. It's precisely this sort of experience that lets me know I'm in the presence of greatness with an IEM. This is by no means the first time I've had an experience like this but each time it happens I'm left with the nascent feeling that everything else I can say sound/signature/characteristics of the IEM is merely window dressing next to the fact that it can sweep me off my feet like that. I fully and completely understand the enduring charm of this IEM.

While I’ve heard some pretty great all BA IEMs, and while some are more impressive technically I'm not sure any are more enjoyable to listen to on the whole for me. Some brief comparisons:

vs. u12t => My lack of enthusiasm for this IEM is well founded so I will try and be as diplomatic as possible. The u12t has better bass decay but Andromeda sacrifices a bit of the raw detail and separation of the u12t for a more musical and engaging signature. This is not a knock against the u12t which, when measured against its aim of being a reference monitor is pretty much flawless. I think fundamentally these two are the Mars and Venus of IEMs. The u12t, being decidedly reference-like and analytic in nature evokes a more intellectual response-- its engagement factor is derived from the precision, order and detail that characterizes its signature. The Andromeda, by contrast, evokes a more emotional response-- it is less concerned with raw technicalities and details and is more concerned with sweeping you off your feet and casting its spell on you. The u12t stimulates your intellect, the Andromeda tugs at your heart. IMHO neither approach is superior to the other—it really depends on you and what you’re after-- but my heart is with the Andromeda as it just so happens that I'm personally not really after a fully reference type signature.

vs. Anole VX => It's been a while since I've heard the VX but my memory recalls it being slightly more detailed, resolving and "cleaner" sounding...it was also just a touch too vivid in the lower treble/upper mid region and ultimately too fatiguing for me with many recordings.

vs. VE8 => Of the aforementioned 3 BA IEMs I have prior experience with the Andromeda 2020, to my ears, probably most resembles the VE8 in terms of tuning philosophy and execution. The VE8 also has a signature that targets emotional engagement over technical proficiency and, along with Andro 2020, it is characterized by a slightly forward and evocative midrange. It's early days comparing these IEMs so far and I plan to do a more detailed shootout between them while I still have @1TrickPony 's VE8. The two biggest differences between these IEMs for me off the bat is that the VE8 is in some ways a thicker, more luscious, ("gooier" if that's a term) sound than the Andromeda. The VE8 hooks you with its natural mid-range timbre and seductive voicing, the Andromeda with its top end air and sparkle..choose your poison. I personally can't get enough of either IEM.

100% agree here bud, love them so much I grabbed custom tips for them. These are keepers and hit the right chord for me all around.

May 3, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #165 of 88,873
@SBranson Dorado 2020 is on its way to you-- I would think you'd have it by tomorrow.

I've checked the tracking about a half dozen times already looking for any movement.. I'm pretty excited to hear them.. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back