The war of the worlds: W5000 v. HD650 v. SA5000
May 23, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #61 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
Is this hum present with any headphone or just with the W5000?

I could hear it with IEM's, but not with any full-size cans, until the W5K, where it was just loud enough to annoy me in between songs in a quiet room. Now it's not present with the W5K, barely audible with the E5's. A bit of steel plating to block off the transformer will completely eradicate it, I just need to find something mroe elegant looking than a computer PSU cover
wink.gif

May 23, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #62 of 297
Wow, the HD650 failed....

I wonder how head-fi readers will respond to this...
tongue.gif

I've never been much of a fan of Audio technica's leather-heads or other high-end headphones, so this may very well be a matter of taste...or the W5000 could be exceptionally different.

-Matt

May 23, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #63 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
Hi Al. Yes up very late. These last few days it has been raining in London, so no golf for me and have been concentrating on the battle.

I feel a bit sorry for lovers of the HD650, as I am sure the problem was more with the Lavry amp, quite good for low Z but unable to cope properly with the difficult load of the HD650.

Vic, thank you for undertaking this project. Your impressions have been most interesting.

I know how you feel about golf since my location just finished being on the receiving end of fifteen inches of rain in nine days. Handicap? Home course?

Don't feel too sorry for the 650 owners yet. You might need to spread the sympathy around to some owners of other phones if you ever enlist the Grado GS-1000s in your battle.
gs1000.gif

May 23, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #64 of 297
good writeup & idea Vic. I anxiously and impatiently await your conclusions of hd650 balanced directly out of lavry.
600smile.gif

ps: how the heck is there a gs1000 smilie but no hd650 cmon now peeps get cracking

May 23, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #65 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
I have tried the A900ltd only briefly and I did like it, although cannot really comment because was too short. A friend has them, so I' ll certainly try them again.

Hey Vic, let me know if you need to borrow the 900LTDs for an extended period while this review is going on.

May 23, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #66 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27

tongue.gif

I've never been much of a fan of Audio technica's leather-heads or other high-end headphones, so this may very well be a matter of taste...or the W5000 could be exceptionally different.

-Matt

Being a Grado man yourself (IIRC) you should enjoy the W5000 very much indeed. I used the MS2 and HF1 before and the W5000 had so much PRAT and well balanced highs and mids, that I really felt these were some elusive high end Grados in a refined, more comfortable package.

May 23, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #67 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruppin
Vic, thank you for undertaking this project. Your impressions have been most interesting.

I know how you feel about golf since my location just finished being on the receiving end of fifteen inches of rain in nine days. Handicap? Home course?

Don't feel too sorry for the 650 owners yet. You might need to spread the sympathy around to some owners of other phones if you ever enlist the Grado GS-1000s in your battle.
gs1000.gif

I am member in a nice golf club near my house in North London, Muswell Hill golf club. Since I start work at 4:00 pm, I play 4 or 5 times a week; I played this morning and then cycled to work.

BTW I have got the W5000 through Price Japan and recommend it: best price and very fast delivery, there are two option for shipping, I went for the cheaper one and was perfect

May 23, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #68 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
BTW I have got the W5000 through Price Japan and recommend it: best price and very fast delivery, there are two option for shipping, I went for the cheaper one and was perfect

Same here. They also have good and fast customer service.

May 23, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #70 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sture
They are realy fast, I order W5000:s last Thursday and today postman bring to me headphones. I didn't even had to pay tax.
tongue.gif

Congratulations for a great headphones Sture.

This goes little offtopic but Sture, tell us how does W5000 match with Prehead MkII. I'm very interested. But post your impressions to some thread dedicated to W5000. Or then just PM me in Finnish.
wink.gif

May 23, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #71 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sture
They are realy fast, I order W5000:s last Thursday and today postman bring to me headphones. I didn't even had to pay tax.
tongue.gif

Wow, Audio Technica should open a sales department in Finland
biggrin.gif

Let us know your impressions

May 23, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #72 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorjuggles
Hey Vic, let me know if you need to borrow the 900LTDs for an extended period while this review is going on.

Thanks Justin, I would love to give another try to the 900LDT, but it would be even better for the review to spend a few hour together with the Raptor once it is fully burned, in order to evaluate it with the four headfones involved in the war, you could add your live commentary from the front which will make it much more interesting.

But for the moment focus on your exams

May 23, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #73 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
Thanks Justin, I would love to give another try to the 900LDT, but it would be even better for the review to spend a few hour together with the Raptor once it is fully burned, in order to evaluate it with the four headfones involved in the war, you could add your live commentary from the front which will make it much more interesting.

But for the moment focus on your exams

Well I've left the Raptor and the Shanling on together, they've been burning in for the last 36 hours. I can't believe how hot The Raptor runs, it's unbelievable. Compared to the Earmax it's so much hotter, even the volume knob gets warm. I've heard that hot is good though, so I'm not complaining.

Evaluation with all cans together sounds great, I'm more than happy to do that, just let me know when you're up for it and how you want to do it.

Anyway, don't worry, I'm concentrating just fine on my exams, one down, two to go.

May 23, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #74 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorjuggles
Well I've left the Raptor and the Shanling on together, they've been burning in for the last 36 hours. I can't believe how hot The Raptor runs, it's unbelievable. Compared to the Earmax it's so much hotter, even the volume knob gets warm. I've heard that hot is good though, so I'm not complaining.

Evaluation with all cans together sounds great, I'm more than happy to do that, just let me know when you're up for it and how you want to do it.

Anyway, don't worry, I'm concentrating just fine on my exams, one down, two to go.

Justin, if possible Sunday June 4th for me would be perfect; I believe by then you would have been finished your exams.
It would definetely better to do it in my place, as I am evaluating all of them with three sources: Lavry DA10, MF x Ray v.3 and RA Opus 21.

We could also use it as a starting point to organise the next London minimeet and to down a few kebabs and beers

May 24, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #75 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27

tongue.gif

-Matt

Well the HD650 can still bounce back, still lot of fighting to be done.
Le Francais fou, you should give a try to the W5000. At the moment I am astonished by its performance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back