The war of the worlds: W5000 v. HD650 v. SA5000
Jul 7, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #286 of 297
Vic

Thanks for defining your level in the manner you did. Yes I also must use very loud listening levels. I am setting on 20 right now. It really all depends on the how the CD has been mixed (compressed). I have some that has to go low to listen too. Some can go high if it was mixed right.

Thanks again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
OK, what is this legend now of me listening at crazy volume?
Is more that Stew and StevieDVD have incredibly sharp ears.

Well, since we have very similar gear, out of the Lavry headphone jack with the W5000, I use between 16 and 22, according to the different CDs. What about you guys?

Jul 7, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #287 of 297
22 is very loud for me. I'm comfortable at 10, and would not go past 18. Some louder pop CDs such as Madonna's Confessions on a Dance Floor is OK for me at 6.

Still, I don't consider 16 to 22 "earbleeding" volume level. From the others' comments, I pictured Vic in warpaint swinging a mace and headbanging with the W5000 and Lavry set at 35.
tongue.gif

Jul 7, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #288 of 297
I even thought maybe a 40 was not out of the question the way he was presented having his volume. His volume for me is about normal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
22 is very loud for me. I'm comfortable at 10, and would not go past 18. Some louder pop CDs such as Madonna's Confessions on a Dance Floor is OK for me at 6.

Still, I don't consider 16 to 22 "earbleeding" volume level. From the others' comments, I pictured Vic in warpaint swinging a mace and headbanging with the W5000 and Lavry set at 35.
tongue.gif

Jul 7, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #289 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
With the revelation that Vic listens at earbleeding volume, this 'war of the worlds' thread suddenly makes more sense.
smily_headphones1.gif

I listen at low to moderate volume levels, and consider the W5000 my favorite headphone. I feel the HD650 sounds better at high volume, at a level that is higher than my usual listening level. It becomes more balanced and energetic, and loses some of its laid-back sluggishness at low volume. Driven directly from the Lavry DA10's XLR outputs with volume cranked up, the HD650 transforms into a berserker with a double-bladed axe.

very true, I find that the W5000 to sound best at low volume, whie the 650 and 701 requires loud volume to shine. Contrary to your listening preference, I listen to music at a rather loud volume and find the 701 and equivalent to be more suitable for me.

Jul 7, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #290 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
Well, since we have very similar gear, out of the Lavry headphone jack with the W5000, I use between 16 and 22, according to the different CDs. What about you guys?

This is about what I used as well, and I always thought I listened at a fairly baseline level, at least compared to Ray Samuels and pabbi1
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #291 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
OK, what is this legend now of me listening at crazy volume?
Is more that Stew and StevieDVD have incredibly sharp ears.

Yup, my ears are scary picky... with the e5's the hiss annoyed me from Steve's SR-71, which is a pretty quiet amp by all accounts. Maybe me and Steve made a play of this, but your volumes would hurt my poor ears Vic...

Jul 7, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #292 of 297
I know that people have different sensitivities since my wife and son are both very sensitive to sounds around them. The level that I want to listen too and what the are willing tolerant are very different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking
Yup, my ears are scary picky... with the e5's the hiss annoyed me from Steve's SR-71, which is a pretty quiet amp by all accounts. Maybe me and Steve made a play of this, but your volumes would hurt my poor ears Vic...

Aug 21, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #293 of 297
hi guys,

I was really enjoying this thread.... and then it just seems to have died?

Did we ever get impressions on the balanced 650 or the equinox cable?

Congratulations on a fantastic thread regardless!

Cheers

Aug 21, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #294 of 297
I see Vic has the resolution Audio Opus 21. I would just like to point out that the accompanying amp (S30) has a very good headphone out that works quite well with the HD650. Also, the K1000 out of the S30 (speaker out) is very nice.

Jan 4, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #295 of 297
Wheres the rest of the reviews with the headfive etc...??? Is this battle long over??? What about all the scores of all can/amp combos etc...???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back